I Hate to Be Right

Postcard

NEWSFLASH! Attendance tied to winning. I had no idea.

It's not important but this topic has been discussed numerous times on here. Finally we had some hard numbers to help clarify things.

Wow! What a well-conceived, thoroughly thought out, bulletproof, conclusive argument you present.

Your sample size of one day/one game is certainly sufficient to convince the average person to agree with your premise.

You just can't beat a State U. supporter's logic. Posty, remember the famous words of Ann Southern at the beginning of GREASE, (with a minor insert)

"If you can't be an athlete, you can still be a Mizzou athletic supporter."

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Totally agree skip. It should be a conversation piece on the Billikenboard about what we can do to improve visibility etc. It is not a good number for SLU.

However, it shouldn't be used by MU loyalists as some sort of "proof of dominance" Fact is, the article talked about how their number was disapointing and how Illinois beat them. If I were a MU fan (which I thank myself everyday that I'm not) I'd be on the Tigerboard asking why fans in St. Louis aren't watching the games in large numbers despite their top 15 ranking and why Illinois is able to outdraw them despite all the additional coverage they get in the region.

If anything, the MU people should be embarassed by the number, not proud of it.

I guess you want to totally ignore my post addressing your point? That would at least help explain why Illinois beat them.

Well, Mizzou(and SLU) both played on Saturday when there was much more competition for viewers. Illinois played on Sunday when there wasn't much on. The other sporting events that rated higher than Mizzou were the Daytona 500(no surprise there) and the NBA All Star game(big shocker, huh?).

As a SLU fan I want to know why a women's game involving two teams from out of the state and shown on a cable channel drew more than 2,500 more viewers than the Bills game.

TX Tech-Nebraska women's hoops...FSM.............0.5.................. 6,250

SLU-Rhode Island men's hoops.......KPLR.............0.3....................3,750

I would just like to congratulate the Tigers on their #10 ranking and the fact that only one player has been arrested so far this season. It has gone better than anyone could have expected so far.

Monmouth, I know this is off topic but do you like that Gin Blossoms song "hey jealousy?" I have it stuck in my head for some reason.

I've always maintained that one of the reasons that Mizzou gets more attention in the Post is because there are more fans of Mizzou in the area. Therefore the Post is playing to their market if they do more Mizzou stories that Billiken stories. I even went so far to email Dan Ceasar about this and he said essentailly all things being equal he would estimate that mizzou draws probably about 3 times more ratings than SLU does on a typical basketball telecast. Some of the posters on here accused me of making that email and response up. This is not a shot at SLU but just goes to show you that at this point the programs are not equal in terms of popularity in this area. Roy and others have fought me on this in the past. The numbers don't lie.

SATURDAY EVENTS.........................OUTLET......RATING......HOMES

Nebraska-Missouri men's hoops........WRBU............1.8.............22,500

NBA 3-point, dunk contests...................TNT..............1.8.............22,500

Nationwide auto race..........................ESPN2............1.6.............20,000

Pebble Beach PGA golf......................KMOV.............1.3..............16,250

Georgetown-Syracuse hoops.............ESPN.............1.3..............16,250

Kansas-Kansas State men's hoops....KDNL.............1.2..............15,000

Ohio State-Wisconsin men's hoops..ESPN..............0.8...............10,000

Kentucky-Arkansas men's hoops......KMOV.............0.8................10,000

Texas at Colorado men's hoops......ESPN..............0.8................10,000

Iowa St.-Okla. St. men's hoops........WRBU.............0.7...................8,750

SLU-Rhode Island men's hoops.......KPLR.............0.3....................3,750

Cincinnati-Pittsburgh men's hoops...ESPN............0.3.....................3,750

Creighton at SIUC men's hoops......ESPN2............0.3.....................3,750

Oregon-Washington men's hoops......FSM.............0.1.....................1,250

Stanford-California men's hoops.......FSM..............0.1.....................1,250

Indiana St.-Miss. St. men's hoops.....FSM..............0.1.....................1,250

California-Stanford women's hoops..FSM..............0.1.....................1,250

Tenn. St.-Aust. Peay men's hoops..ESPN2.............-*...........................—*

Niagara-Fairfield men's hoops........ESPN2............-*............................—*

Thsi is disappointing. It clearly demonstrates how horrible the CSTV deal is, and how horribly the SLU ADs office has handled it. You have games on 3 different channels (CSTV, 11, and Charter) and little promotion. We got worse ratings than a women's game with no local interest!

Did you just miss the entire point of his study?

No, I got it. The very non scientific study also didn't include in it's numbers Mizzou's next two home games which were both sellouts. Oklahoma will be a sellout as well. I wouldn't be surprised if the K-State game was close to capacity either.

I've always maintained that one of the reasons that Mizzou gets more attention in the Post is because there are more fans of Mizzou in the area. Therefore the Post is playing to their market if they do more Mizzou stories that Billiken stories. I even went so far to email Dan Ceasar about this and he said essentailly all things being equal he would estimate that mizzou draws probably about 3 times more ratings than SLU does on a typical basketball telecast. Some of the posters on here accused me of making that email and response up. This is not a shot at SLU but just goes to show you that at this point the programs are not equal in terms of popularity in this area. Roy and others have fought me on this in the past. The numbers don't lie.

SATURDAY EVENTS.........................OUTLET......RATING......HOMES

Nebraska-Missouri men's hoops........WRBU............1.8.............22,500

NBA 3-point, dunk contests...................TNT..............1.8.............22,500

Nationwide auto race..........................ESPN2............1.6.............20,000

Pebble Beach PGA golf......................KMOV.............1.3..............16,250

Georgetown-Syracuse hoops.............ESPN.............1.3..............16,250

Kansas-Kansas State men's hoops....KDNL.............1.2..............15,000

Ohio State-Wisconsin men's hoops..ESPN..............0.8...............10,000

Kentucky-Arkansas men's hoops......KMOV.............0.8................10,000

Texas at Colorado men's hoops......ESPN..............0.8................10,000

Iowa St.-Okla. St. men's hoops........WRBU.............0.7...................8,750

Cincinnati-Pittsburgh men's hoops...ESPN............0.3.....................3,750

Creighton at SIUC men's hoops......ESPN2............0.3.....................3,750

Oregon-Washington men's hoops......FSM.............0.1.....................1,250

Stanford-California men's hoops.......FSM..............0.1.....................1,250

Indiana St.-Miss. St. men's hoops.....FSM..............0.1.....................1,250

California-Stanford women's hoops..FSM..............0.1.....................1,250

Tenn. St.-Aust. Peay men's hoops..ESPN2.............-*...........................—*

Niagara-Fairfield men's hoops........ESPN2............-*............................—*

Where'd you get these numbers from? What are the boundaries of this viewership market? What were the times of all these events?

I have a very, very hard time believing some of these figures, particularly the TT-Nebraska women's game. Women's basketball games typically see way lower ratings, especially if matched up against some of these other events.

Where'd you get these numbers from? What are the boundaries of this viewership market? What were the times of all these events?

I have a very, very hard time believing some of these figures, particularly the TT-Nebraska women's game. Women's basketball games typically see way lower ratings, especially if matched up against some of these other events.

It sucks, doesn't it?

No, I got it. The very non scientific study also didn't include in it's numbers Mizzou's next two home games which were both sellouts. Oklahoma will be a sellout as well. I wouldn't be surprised if the K-State game was close to capacity either.

In light of your initial post, I'm not sure you're the one to criticize the "scientific credibility" of this study. At least Forde used multiple games.

Ratings and the number of St. Louis area homes that tuned in to sporting events on TV last weekend, according to Nielsen Media Research:

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/sports/co...68?OpenDocument

Shouldn't you be starting your viral marketing campaign to push SLU men's bball above out of state women's fundamentalball?

We start winning it will happen. Mizzou has started winning and they are going to have a higher average attendance this year. Good for them. It hasn't happened much in the last 15 years.

We start winning it will happen. Mizzou has started winning and they are going to have a higher average attendance this year. Good for them. It hasn't happened much in the last 15 years.

15 years ago Mizzou was awesome. 10 years ago mizzou was awesome. Hell, it's been 7 years since we went to the elite 8.

Put that up against SLU in the last 15 years.

The greatest year in recent memory for you guys involved what, the 2nd round of the tourney?

Ratings and the number of St. Louis area homes that tuned in to sporting events on TV last weekend, according to Nielsen Media Research:

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/sports/co...68?OpenDocument

Thanks. I still don't buy that an out-of-town women's game drew viewership from one in every 300 local homes and SLU only had 1 in 300. There's just no way. The Nielsen ratings give you an idea but are inherently flawed because it's such a small sample size. Sometimes less-viewed things get skewed a bit one way or the other because of that.

I'm not disputing that Mizzou can draw about a 3-to-1 ratio over SLU given the season they're having and the size of their regional alumni base (and Mizzou-grad local media), so don't take this that way.

It's unfortunate that these are the best numbers we've got because the figure for that women's game is BS (and how are only 6,000 people watching SLU?).

Thanks. I still don't buy that an out-of-town women's game drew viewership from one in every 300 local homes and SLU only had 1 in 300. There's just no way. The Nielsen ratings give you an idea but are inherently flawed because it's such a small sample size. Sometimes less-viewed things get skewed a bit one way or the other because of that.

I'm not disputing that Mizzou can draw about a 3-to-1 ratio over SLU given the season they're having and the size of their regional alumni base (and Mizzou-grad local media), so don't take this that way.

It's unfortunate that these are the best numbers we've got because the figure for that women's game is BS (and how are only 6,000 people watching SLU?).

I think sometimes the truth just hurts.

I don't know exactly when that women's game was, but I think it's likely that SLU's unbelievably low rating was due in part to playing at the same time as Mizzou. Mizzou is the hot item in town right now and I bet many potential SLU viewers were watching them instead. Head to head, there is no way that SLU would outdo Mizzou. In two years, we'll see.

15 years ago Mizzou was awesome. 10 years ago mizzou was awesome. Hell, it's been 7 years since we went to the elite 8.

Put that up against SLU in the last 15 years.

The greatest year in recent memory for you guys involved what, the 2nd round of the tourney?

Then why has this SLU program nobody cares about outdrawn the Tigers for the majority of the last 15 years?

http://www.ncaa.org/wps/ncaa?ContentID=1093

Hey, we have at least won a conference championship this century.