Continuing the discussion on Thompson

I agree with Chosen. For awhile I wasn't a fan of metz and he does say things that make me mad but these things are, alot of times, great discussion topics.

I saw someone get on your case for yelling at opposing players and I almost fell out of my chair. How could anyone take issue to the most passionate fan we have? One of the few fans that does his best to make our home court a true home court and a place opposing teams dread playing at. St. Louis fans are too polite and treat sporting events like it is a musical at the Muny or a performance at the Fox. Students/fans play an important part in college athletics and it is a shame we cannot provide that true college game day experience at the U. If fans are taken back by billikenfan05 I hope they will be outraged a couple of years down the road when we have thousands of fans doing the same.

or look at the two illini bigs. both were second thought players last year. now they are the backbone of the team imo.

i have no problem with the minutes and handling of our bigs by rickma during games. thompson has done nothing to demonstrate he deserves more minutes than he has gotten. and before someone suggests that rickma should be making teams "matchup" to him rather than vice versa, if thompson was playing power inside getting multiple dunks, blocks and double digit rebounds every night that might be a point to ponder. however the truth is if anything brett plays soft yet. i would bet by 2011 or 12 that will change, but he has to show that. until then, the soft inside guy that can touch the top of the backboard and run fast up and down the floor obviously deserves the minutes that rickma has been giving him.

The kids from Illinois are probably better examples.

Well, considering Metz is a Domer fan perhaps he could help out with some of the following:

Why didn't these Domer front court players play more minutes as Frosh in recent memory?

Zeller: 14mpg Started 9 of 27 games played.

Hillesland: 2mpg started 0 of 13 games played.

Kurz: 5mpg started 0 of 14 games played.

Cornett: 5mpg started 0 of 12 games played.

Or why aren't most of the league Frosh bigs playing much more than Thompson?

Don't be a school girl ***** nark. I am sure Steve has more important things in his life to worry about than you feeling threatened by Metz. Metz says things he shouldn't and takes things too far, but the last thing I would question is his passion for his alma mater and the Billikens. He is certainly not a troll. He says things that often rub me the wrong way, but I know his intentions are good.

I'm sure your first sentence really helped your cause.

One can be passionate without crossing the line. It's not rocket science.

There's a great chance that BT could be the sleeping giant of Majerus' recruiting class, but we'll never know unless the kid logs some minutes out there. We're not expecting to challenge Xavier for the A-10 crown...why not use BT more. Confidence. He knows this is college basketball and you might get schooled one night, but like a Mariano Rivera-type athlete, you can't have a good memory -- you've got to put last night behind you after you watch game footage with the GA's and Assistant Coaches, work on the things you need improvement on -- and then go out and dominate. I think BT has a lot of potential and will be better than Voyoukas, but he's gotta see more floor.

Metz. Surprised no one has challenged you so far on your underlying premise - as I understand it. Frankly, I don't believe game situation (while invaluable) is required for a first year Freshman to develop into a solid, contributing player. Like nearly all freshmen bigs, BT needs to work on his body (weight, strength, stamina, footwork, etc.), get used to playing against D-1 quality competition his own size and improve his overall game. Nothing I am saying is new or different to what nearly all Freshman need or as to what has already been posted here. Unlike you, however, I think all of these things can be improved upon at practice each day against BE, WR and BC, in the weight room, in the film room, etc. A year of not having his body grow any further and gaining even more coordination would help as well. Once improved outside the bright lights of game-time situations, then game-time situations can and will be vital and important to improve his confidence and ability to perform under pressure. I say let the big guy develop without the extra pressure.

Metz. Surprised no one has challenged you so far on your underlying premise - as I understand it. Frankly, I don't believe game situation (while invaluable) is required for a first year Freshman to develop into a solid, contributing player. Like nearly all freshmen bigs, BT needs to work on his body (weight, strength, stamina, footwork, etc.), get used to playing against D-1 quality competition his own size and improve his overall game. Nothing I am saying is new or different to what nearly all Freshman need or as to what has already been posted here. Unlike you, however, I think all of these things can be improved upon at practice each day against BE, WR and BC, in the weight room, in the film room, etc. A year of not having his body grow any further and gaining even more coordination would help as well. Once improved outside the bright lights of game-time situations, then game-time situations can and will be vital and important to improve his confidence and ability to perform under pressure. I say let the big guy develop without the extra pressure.

I don't think anyone really agreed with Metz on this one, the discussion kind of ended when Nark cried to the teacher.

What was said in this thread that would be considered crossing the line?

Metz has zero credibility. I'll take Nark's word on this. I would bet that Metz crossed the line in his pm.

Specifically to this thread, Metz can be passionate without trying to stir up trouble (e.g. Nark is afraid of me).

Metz has zero credibility. I'll take Nark's word on this. I would bet that Metz crossed the line in his pm.

Specifically to this thread, Metz can be passionate without trying to stir up trouble (e.g. Nark is afraid of me).

Really? Do you know me? Could you pick me out at a Billiken game and say, "boy, there's Metz. That fu**ing co** sucker?" Could you do that? I don't know who you are or what Obama executive order gave you the privilege to label someone the way you constantly do, moy, but I'm sure a lot of people have had it with you. What do you bring to the table? What insider information do you have? Are you the Tom Lemming of billikens.com? I am here to be a fan and root for my team and my alma mater. But you can label me as a Putz and do all this and get away with it, but as soon as old Metz rears his head around the InterWebs, moy gets all fired up and Nark gets all fired up to take me out back and shoot me. For what?! Because I am a fan of SLU basketball? When was rooting for a team considered a crime? Boy, we are moving backwards as a country.

I'm at Humphrey's either before and/or after every single home game. Get John or whoever is working the bar to ask "Metz" to come downstairs or come to the bar. I'll oblige. I'll shake all of your hands and have a man-to-man discussion with you. It's a shame you have to hide behind the cloak that is the Internet. It really is a shame. I'm making myself available to you. On more than one occasion, I've introduced myself as "Metz or Putz" to a complete stranger at Humps after games, so that someone will overhear me and break a beer bottle over my head.

I'm not going anywhere, Moy and Nark. I'll be right here rooting on my Billikens. If you don't like that, come talk to me. Don't go crying to momma.

Really? Do you know me? Could you pick me out at a Billiken game and say, "boy, there's Metz. That fu**ing co** sucker?" Could you do that? I don't know who you are or what Obama executive order gave you the privilege to label someone the way you constantly do, moy, but I'm sure a lot of people have had it with you. What do you bring to the table? What insider information do you have? Are you the Tom Lemming of billikens.com? I am here to be a fan and root for my team and my alma mater. But you can label me as a Putz and do all this and get away with it, but as soon as old Metz rears his head around the InterWebs, moy gets all fired up and Nark gets all fired up to take me out back and shoot me. For what?! Because I am a fan of SLU basketball? When was rooting for a team considered a crime? Boy, we are moving backwards as a country.

I'm at Humphrey's either before and/or after every single home game. Get John or whoever is working the bar to ask "Metz" to come downstairs or come to the bar. I'll oblige. I'll shake all of your hands and have a man-to-man discussion with you. It's a shame you have to hide behind the cloak that is the Internet. It really is a shame. I'm making myself available to you. On more than one occasion, I've introduced myself as "Metz or Putz" to a complete stranger at Humps after games, so that someone will overhear me and break a beer bottle over my head.

I'm not going anywhere, Moy and Nark. I'll be right here rooting on my Billikens. If you don't like that, come talk to me. Don't go crying to momma.

LOL. Poor poor little martyr metz.

I'm sure people are tired of me, it wouldn't be the first time and it won't be the last. However, you have dug your own grave. Do I know you? yes. You have acted like a moron on this board, that's my only impression of you since I won't see you in person. And if I don't know the real Metz, then that means you aren't genuine when you come on here. So you hide behind the internet and then masquerade as some different type of persona on the internet. Talk about hiding behind a cloak.

"I'll have a man-to-man discussion with you." LOL. I'll be in Salina waiting for you tough guy. G.W. Bush would be proud.

I haven't asked (nor will I) for you to get banned. Go, stay, I don't care. Quit crying like a little baby when you get called out for acting like an idiot.

Here are the facts:

1. I have received complaints about Metz in recent weeks.

2. His initial post was nothing more than trolling that was potentially harmful to a player b/c he was insinuating BT was going to transfer or get run off when there is ZERO evidence to support it.

3. When I deleted the post, he pm'd me and basically challenged me to meet him before a game. There is not a single other poster on this board that would react it that absurd manner.

4. My initial intention was simply to delete his trolling thread and move on, but if the imbecile wants to escalate things, I am happy to oblige.

Let's return to the basketball discussion, please.

ChaifetzRocker, what makes you think that Thompson can produce something more in games than he already has if he isn't doing it in practice? Relax, he's not going to leave just because he's not a star as a freshman at SLU, the closest Div. I school which wanted him. How far away would he have to go (and to a lesser program) to be a star RIGHT NOW? I'm sure he's where he wants to be and is doing everything within reason to be the best player he can be. Remember, he was the first one to commit to SLU after Coach Majerus took over.

What makes us think Brett might tansfer? Did Ian transfer when he didn't play much as a freshman big? As Brett improves he'll play more regardless o matchups as he'll have the experience and skill level to be more able to dictate his game to oponents. Right now he's not able, relax let Brett learn. I do see though why you would think RM doesn't know what he's doing developing bigs

Wasn't his first pick the Salukis anyway? Besides, where is he going to go? Would have to go down a division to be eligible. He'll just stay.

Majerus didn't forget how to develop big men, and in case you've forgotten, he has a pretty good track record in that department. I am sure the coaches are working hard during practice to help Brett develop the skills that will serve him well in the next three years.

While it may not be the best comparison, Dexter Pittman from Texas only averaged about 5 minutes and 3 points a game his freshman year. He's now a junior and is turning into a solid big who is contributing about 15 minutes a game and knows his role. He dropped 25 on Missouri this week and will probably garner some 2nd team all Big 12 pre-season votes next year.

IMO, Brett is never going to be a 17/10 type player, especially in Majerus' system. He needs to continue to work hard, improve his range and low post moves. If he does, he'll have his nights where he drops 20 on some teams.

Dexter Pittman sat on the bench behind Lamarcus Aldridge, Kevin Durant and now Conner Atchley and Damion James. Although it has been fun to watch him loose all that weight and increase his min and production. We will never get that type of talent here. His freshman year Dexter could only make it up and down the court 3-4 time before having to be taken out.

As far as Thompson is concerned I think he has some developing to do before he can contribute to this team on a consistent bases. Everytime he is on the court he seems lost and winded trying to keep up with the pace of this level of play. This will come with time and look forward and expect BT to contribute to the team in the next few seasons?

Is it just me but does Willie Reeds frame remind them of Kevin Durant?

I think Brett will end up being one of the best Billiken big men ever. While he has had a huge adjustment from his high school competition, there are times and situations where he really is showing how good he will be after developing strength and conditioning and learning from Majerus. I have seen improvement in Brett this year, especially in his defense. From everything I can tell he is a fine young man from a good family and values the education he is getting at SLU and the opportunity to benefit from Majerus' genius. I really expect a lot out of him. I would like to see him play more because I really like him but Majerus knows what he is doing and it is the best for Brett and for the team. It will pay off later.

I think Brett will end up being one of the best Billiken big men ever. While he has had a huge adjustment from his high school competition, there are times and situations where he really is showing how good he will be after developing strength and conditioning and learning from Majerus. I have seen improvement in Brett this year, especially in his defense. From everything I can tell he is a fine young man from a good family and values the education he is getting at SLU and the opportunity to benefit from Majerus' genius. I really expect a lot out of him. I would like to see him play more because I really like him but Majerus knows what he is doing and it is the best for Brett and for the team. It will pay off later.

Now that is a post that makes a lot of sense!

Here are the facts:

1. I have received complaints about Metz in recent weeks.

2. His initial post was nothing more than trolling that was potentially harmful to a player b/c he was insinuating BT was going to transfer or get run off when there is ZERO evidence to support it.

3. When I deleted the post, he pm'd me and basically challenged me to meet him before a game. There is not a single other poster on this board that would react it that absurd manner.

4. My initial intention was simply to delete his trolling thread and move on, but if the imbecile wants to escalate things, I am happy to oblige.

A. No you haven't. Please support this absurdity with facts.

B. Players don't read this board, and if they do, that is their loss.

C. I want to meet you before a game. I'm not going to fight you, Nark. I'm a bigger man than that. I want to put a face to a name.

D. Thanks for calling me names. At least I have the manners to privately ask you to make your absurd case.

You are the one that needs to grow up.

Wasn't his first pick the Salukis anyway? Besides, where is he going to go? Would have to go down a division to be eligible. He'll just stay.

No he never wanted to play at SIU. Yes Hes staying. You guys are making way too big of a deal out of this. Bretts been getting better. Hell keep getting better. Hes getting the minutes he deserves and he knows what he needs to get more. The only thing I dont understand is that when WR matches up terribly he stays in the game. WR really needs to work on boxing out and posting up...and defense and not going for pump fakes over and over again. Yet he still gets a huge chunk of the big man minutes. Why do all these things that apply to Brett not apply to Willie?...is it only because hes more athletic? I agree with both sides. I think in those games against athletic guys he should get a few minutes. Nothing huge just maybe 5 min to give someone a breather. When you sign at a school to play as a frosh believe me nothing hurts confidence more then getting a big goose egg in the minutes column...any screw up in a game can easily be fixed

No he never wanted to play at SIU. Yes Hes staying. You guys are making way too big of a deal out of this. Bretts been getting better. Hell keep getting better. Hes getting the minutes he deserves and he knows what he needs to get more. The only thing I dont understand is that when WR matches up terribly he stays in the game. WR really needs to work on boxing out and posting up...and defense and not going for pump fakes over and over again. Yet he still gets a huge chunk of the big man minutes. Why do all these things that apply to Brett not apply to Willie?...is it only because hes more athletic? I agree with both sides. I think in those games against athletic guys he should get a few minutes. Nothing huge just maybe 5 min to give someone a breather. When you sign at a school to play as a frosh believe me nothing hurts confidence more then getting a big goose egg in the minutes column...any screw up in a game can easily be fixed

Good attitude, mate! Sounds like Brett has a good attitute too and will no doubt get more minutes in due time.

Re: thompson transferring

I have no idea his intentions and I believe it when his older brother says he is going to stay. The one thing that worries me is that when you recruit 3 bigs in the same class, usually, someone is bound to transfer. Right now he is sitting behind guys who will be there for the next three years. I think he could be an mazing player, Im just really concerned that one of those 3 are going to transfer and the guy who is getting 5 mins a game makes the most sense.

Re: thompson transferring

I have no idea his intentions and I believe it when his older brother says he is going to stay. The one thing that worries me is that when you recruit 3 bigs in the same class, usually, someone is bound to transfer. Right now he is sitting behind guys who will be there for the next three years. I think he could be an mazing player, Im just really concerned that one of those 3 are going to transfer and the guy who is getting 5 mins a game makes the most sense.

NH this is a non-issue; if you skim through this entire thread you can see how ridiculous internet rumors which can be harmful to a team get started. No one with any authority or knowledge has ever said anything about BT being unhappy or transferring. But by post #44 you are gnashing your teeth about it. Would every player in college basketball like to play more? You bet they would. The guys playing 38 minutes would like to play 40. So just leave it alone, man. This whole thread is ridiculous; just look who started it. Metz, why does it always have to end up being a pissing match between you and somebody else? Do you really want to throw down with some of your fellow Billikens.commers? After all, in the long run we all want the same thing; our Billikens going deep into the NCAA's.

Actually no, only a very few people are making a big deal out of this. Most aren't. Brett has gotten a lot of time for a Frosh in comparison to other big men across the country. He'll have to work tirelessly on his footwork, and lateral movement this offseason, as well as strength. All of that is normal.