City ordinance banning standing up at SLU games

I will probably be banned again for this post, but I am going to direct my frustration not at our head coach, not at his recruiting efforts, not at any of our players -- but at you, the fan.

I have made all the home games except the UMass game (late night at the office) and I have rudely been asked to "sit down" at the Kent State game, the BC game, the GW game and yesterday's pitiful game against Richmond.

"Sit down," yells some Lute Olson Look-Alike winner, as I applaud the hustle of Dr. Paul Eckerle.

"I can't see," yells Kenny Roger's brother who also looks like a hybrid of Bob Seger, Michael McDonald and Walter Becker.

When has standing up and cheering on the Bills been a crime?

Here's a theory -- the way the crowd gets into it directly effects the way our team plays. When we boo, they're probably going to respond in kind. But when we use the two legs (hopefully) the Good Lord Jesus Christ gave us, clap our two hands in unison and rock the Chaifetz Arena, we're going to get a positive response from the Boys in Blue.

We all know Humphrey's runs a shuttle to the games, but when did Delmar Gardens start running theirs?

I know a lot of older people are big donors, etc. They have their place and a right to sit in comfy chairs and schmooze with their class of '57 friends. But the young alums need to get off their asses and cheer. I'm all for respecting your elders, but this is Saint Louis University Basketball -- not bingo night at the YMCA.

GET UP AND CHEER

I love all of you,

Metz

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I will probably be banned again for this post, but I am going to direct my frustration not at our head coach, not at his recruiting efforts, not at any of our players -- but at you, the fan.

I have made all the home games except the UMass game (late night at the office) and I have rudely been asked to "sit down" at the Kent State game, the BC game, the GW game and yesterday's pitiful game against Richmond.

"Sit down," yells some Lute Olson Look-Alike winner, as I applaud the hustle of Dr. Paul Eckerle.

"I can't see," yells Kenny Roger's brother who also looks like a hybrid of Bob Seger, Michael McDonald and Walter Becker.

Here's a theory -- the way the crowd gets into it directly effects the way our team plays. When we boo, they're probably going to respond in kind. But when we use the two legs (hopefully) the Good Lord Jesus Christ gave us, clap our two hands in unison and rock the Chaifetz Arena, we're going to get a positive response from the Boys in Blue.

We all know Humphrey's runs a shuttle to the games, but when did Delmar Gardens start running theirs?

I know a lot of older people are big donors, etc. They have their place and a right to sit in comfy chairs and schmooze with their class of '57 friends. But the young alums need to get off their asses and cheer. I'm all for respecting your elders, but this is Saint Louis University Basketball -- not bingo night at the YMCA.

GET UP AND CHEER

I love all of you,

Metz

I agree. Nothing makes me more mad then when people tell me to sit down.

GET UP AND CHEER

I love all of you,

Metz

metz, just curious what section your 4 season tickets are in?

GET UP AND CHEER

I love all of you,

Metz

Agreed.

I agree. Nothing makes me more mad then when people tell me to sit down.

It's beyond bad. It's an epidemic. No one gets up. Three point plays used get the crowds going and no one stands up when we get a huge flush dunk. Growing up in Peoria and going to Bradley games at Carver Arena, it's a social thing. It's the "see and be seen" crowd of flashy attorneys, CAT people and BU admins. It's the same way at my alma mater. I went from rooting on BU as a Peoria native to going to a school were hopefully people get into the games. Guess I should have gone to a game before my freshman year.

and btw metz, i stand and scream and holler when the game dictates such. i am not going to "stand" just for the sake of standing.

now if the game is at critical points and someone tells me to sit down, i agree with you i wont.

I could only afford to buy one season ticket, Roy.

well i suggest you get all your buddies to buy the rest of the tickets and just show us oldsters how it's done. until then, unfortunately we pay the bills. deal with it.

I could only afford to buy one season ticket, Roy.

I could only aford one also. I gave up earlier in the year talking about this problem. I am still the only person in section 113 that yells DEFENSE when the bills are defending on this end. The student section is on the other end. Never mind as the borg say its FUTILE.

well i suggest you get all your buddies to buy the rest of the tickets and just show us oldsters how it's done. until then, unfortunately we pay the bills. deal with it.

Roy, obviously you aren't as big of a fan as I thought. The arms folded look is good at a poker table, but not at Chaifetz Arena.

Let's root on our boys! I'm challenging all of you. Come to the games not because you have to, but because you WANT TO!

Stand up and yell the entire game, if someone doesn't like it ... tough. If they ask you to sit down, just politely say NO. Just keep it clean, no swearing ... a little rude and obnoxious is good though.

A person a few rows back of me said something to me for yelling drag em off when a GW player went down. The guy was so hurt that when KL tried to get up and get down the court, he reached out and tried to grab Kevin's leg. The right move would have been to kick him upside his head then drag him off.

It's our home court. All the money donated will be wasted if we don't make it a place opponents hate to come.

I think the key is getting to know the people who sit around you. The one time I was asked to sit was by a woman who had not been to any of the games before and hasn't been to any since.

Since you smacked that old lady, I doubt you'll see her anytime soon.

Just carry Baby Box with you. I've learned that a 17 month old girl is a permission slip to do most anything I want.

Metz, thank you for taking the time to say exactly what I was thinking. Apparently the little column of seats on the right side of the student section is for b***** sorority girls who are TOO COOL to cheer. I could not believe the crowd last night. Yes we packed the arena, but it sure didn't feel like it. The only time I remember anyone standing up to cheer is when the ref made one of his countless bad calls and about 30 guys stood up in sync and did the traveling motion. Simply pathetic!

Perhaps one of the issues here is that WE DON'T HAVE CHEERLEADERS ANYMORE.

Yes we do. The dance team now serves a dual purpose. It's better that way, as I had no need for 85-pound girls and balding guys (seriously, why are male cheerleaders always balding in college?) standing in the way and literally spelling out how they want the team to play. Cheerleaders are about as useless as fans who don't cheer. Good riddance to them.

And seriously, Bonwich? You need cheerleaders to lead your cheers? You can't applaud a good play or scream at a ref without a little pixie in Keds giving you the go-ahead? That's either sad or creepy.

There are no excuses, people. Roy's right, we pay a lot for these seats. That gives us a license to show our support, and if you don't like it, that's what HDTV is for.

There are no excuses, people. Roy's right, we pay a lot for these seats. That gives us a license to show our support, and if you don't like it, that's what HDTV is for.

The problem is people are NOT being supportive the ENTIRE game.

Yes we do. The dance team now serves a dual purpose. It's better that way, as I had no need for 85-pound girls and balding guys (seriously, why are male cheerleaders always balding in college?) standing in the way and literally spelling out how they want the team to play. Cheerleaders are about as useless as fans who don't cheer. Good riddance to them.

And seriously, Bonwich? You need cheerleaders to lead your cheers? You can't applaud a good play or scream at a ref without a little pixie in Keds giving you the go-ahead? That's either sad or creepy.

The answer is we have no time for the cheerleaders and barely enough time for the band. IMO, it's a shame. The sports marketing department people instead have filled every timeout with watching the cactus w/ the rose under it, to shooting half-court buckets for $100, to bubble races, bunge cord shooting, kiss-cams, etc. What happened to talking with your group and/or the people around you or continuing to cheer from the last timeout. In recent years, there have not been enough time for the cheerleaders, the band and the dancers. At least SLU has been honest and is placing their desire for corporate money over cheerleaders. While it is true that we still have cheerleaders, they don't use an entire timeout segment like the co-ed cheerleaders did when they held up placards trying to get the crowed to spell S - L - U etc.

the cheerleaders don't do jack. they gotta get some signs or something to tell people to stand the ef up. 6 point game with 2 minutes left... the place was SILENT. PATHETIC. I was furious at this incredibly poor display of support by a near sell out crowd.

Tickets courtside cost too much. Only OLD boosters can afford them. We used to have seats in row D, now we are 5 rows from the top.

It's really hard to get excited up there. but you notice the upstairs is standing up more than the lower bowl.

or maybe I'm crazy.