Post-Game Thoughts

davidnark

-Kevin was awesome tonight; after a shaky first 5 or 10 minutes, he looked like the Kevin of old. Maybe he needed a thigh bruise.

-I would be ecstatic if we had a senior point guard playing as well as Kwamain is right now. He does so many things right from the point guard position.

-It took a season and a half, but Barry has finally embraced and thrived in his role.

-Tonight's game ball goes to the SLU marketing department. They dropped the single game ticket prices, put together attractive game packages, and--most importantly--advertised this game on TV and radio all week. It showed, with walk-up lines out the door at game time. This was easily the best crowd of the year. (And kudos to the students for a great showing.)

-Kevin was awesome tonight; after a shaky first 5 or 10 minutes, he looked like the Kevin of old. Maybe he needed a thigh bruise.

-I would be ecstatic if we had a senior point guard playing as well as Kwamain is right now. He does so many things right from the point guard position.

-It took a season and a half, but Barry has finally embraced and thrived in his role.

-Tonight's game ball goes to the SLU marketing department. They dropped the single game ticket prices, put together attractive game packages, and--most importantly--advertised this game on TV and radio all week. It showed, with walk-up lines out the door at game time. This was easily the best crowd of the year. (And kudos to the students for a great showing.)

Kwamain is a stud. That's all there is to it. Seems like he is handling the ball with more care and is obviously taking on more of a leadership role. If you didn't know anything about the Billikens, and you watch this team play, I don't think you would know that he was a freshman. Not so much his play, but just his leadership and his swagger, if you will.

The crowd was awesome tonight. The crowds seem to be getting bigger and better every game. Lowering prices...conference play beginning....more exposure on the radio....sounds like a a good recipe for larger crowds to me.

Conklin...ah, what more can you say. The guys is tremendous.

Cassity, unbelievable pass at the end.

Barry, good job redeeming yourself from that God awful behind the back pass.

Willie had a big bucket, but we already know the story with him (More pizza, more fries, more ted drewes).

Lisch played well as the game progressed and Tommie played OK. All in all, entertaining game. Not the best played, but entertaining.

They announced on the post-game show that the attendance was in the upper 9k, 800 shy of a sold out of game. There were more 800 empty seats tonight! I thought I had read that they were going to be announcing the actual turnstile attendance rather than ticket solds, but based on tonight I am guessing they are announcing the latter. Does anyone know for sure?

-Everyone showed great hustle and spirit tonight.

-We made some dumb plays dow the stretch but we were able to hang on.

-Kudos to Barry for playing hard and tough, he showed a lot of poise making that final free throw.

-TL and KL both played great, Tommie got his offense even though the lane was so closed up. Kevin hit some big shots.

-Kwamain may go down as the best biliken PG of all time before it is all said and done.

That was the best atmosphere we have had in a long, long time. It was also the loudest I can ever remember. I think that tonight's crowd, many of whom were the notorious casual fans, came away thinking, "Wow, that was fun! Why haven't I been going to more of these games?" That should get us closer to filling the place for every game.

The officiating tonight was really annoying. At one point (when they almost did not call the goaltending at the end), I thought the people in my section were going to rush the floor and string up the referees, and I am talking about a bunch of 40, 50, and 60+ year old men AND women.

Kwamain is going to be a great leader for this team over the next 3 years. And what an athlete!

This is just going to get better and better.

The atmosphere was indeed great tonight. Though I think the smaller crowds at the Kent State and BC games were more "into it". There were a lot of casual fans there tonight not really watching the game, just drinking their beer. That will always be the case but I hope we start converting some of these folks into real fans. Even the back half of the student section didn't seem really into the game until the last 10 min.

SLU did win so I am not going to complain much but I feel that the freshman forwards really did show that they have a long way to go tonight.

-Willie was getting pushed around all night.

-BT still looks lost on defense to me. His failing to get out on a perimeter shooter cost us more than once.

-As much as I loved the run Conklin went on, he has to work on not getting these stupid fouls. As coach Moser said after the game, "Five fouls in less than 18 min!?!"

Don't get me wrong, I love these guys. There is just a long way to go.

Anyone notice a bit more zone defense tonight? GW scored a wide open trey right away. Bet we won't be seeing much more of that.

The atmosphere was indeed great tonight. Though I think the smaller crowds at the Kent State and BC games were more "into it".

couldn't agree with you more. i am one of the few fans that tries to get as rowdy as possible and the kids around me were PATHETIC. i was saying all game that when we have half as many fans it is 10 times as fun and energetic. We were doing all we could to get the students up with us but they just gave me dirty looks. so i said bad words to them and kept being obnoxious. i don't know what to do any more... there were many very boring people there wasting space.

They announced on the post-game show that the attendance was in the upper 9k, 800 shy of a sold out of game. There were more 800 empty seats tonight! I thought I had read that they were going to be announcing the actual turnstile attendance rather than ticket solds, but based on tonight I am guessing they are announcing the latter. Does anyone know for sure?

It was great to see all the students there early on. Perhaps the 8 o'clock start time was a factor there. The students brought alot of energy to the building! I hope that continues.

When my daughter came to the game, she said the just let her in with a student ID, she didnt have to swipe it like usual. She thought they were letting any student in as long as they had an id.

I was fortunate enough to secure a ticket. My seat was right behind the GW bench and among their fans. Surrounded on all 4 sides were Parents and friends of the GW team and me, sporting my new SLU blue sweatshit. I must have stuck out like a sore thumb! Finally, reinforcement arrived (the daughter) and she came and sat in one of the empty seats next to me. I will have to forgive her for not wearing team colors tonight as she wasn't planning on attending the game. It was just good to have someone to sit by that was rooting for the same team.

The GW fans were yelling the first 1/2 each time the Billikens had the ball. This one lady thought her majical howl would stop that ball from dropping in. Her daughter was making all the calls, that the ref was missing or calling them before the refs called them to show off her basketball knowledge. They were really obnoxious and loud but boy did they get quite fast in the 2nd half!

Also, there was free parking in the Laclede Garage. That was a nice surprise!

All in all an exciting game and the boys look better and better!

It was great to see all the students there early on. Perhaps the 8 o'clock start time was a factor there. The students brought alot of energy to the building! I hope that continues.

When my daughter came to the game, she said the just let her in with a student ID, she didnt have to swipe it like usual. She thought they were letting any student in as long as they had an id.

I was fortunate enough to secure a ticket. My seat was right behind the GW bench and among their fans. Surrounded on all 4 sides were Parents and friends of the GW team and me, sporting my new SLU blue sweatshit. I must have stuck out like a sore thumb! Finally, reinforcement arrived (the daughter) and she came and sat in one of the empty seats next to me. I will have to forgive her for not wearing team colors tonight as she wasn't planning on attending the game. It was just good to have someone to sit by that was rooting for the same team.

The GW fans were yelling the first 1/2 each time the Billikens had the ball. This one lady thought her majical howl would stop that ball from dropping in. Her daughter was making all the calls, that the ref was missing or calling them before the refs called them to show off her basketball knowledge. They were really obnoxious and loud but boy did they get quite fast in the 2nd half!

Also, there was free parking in the Laclede Garage. That was a nice surprise!

All in all an exciting game and the boys look better and better!

This is great to hear about the large crowd. And even better, when we get a large crowd, we NEED to capitalize on the situation and WIN. We did last night, even though GW is really a bad team. The win was critical in front of a crowd like that and its something SLU teams of the past couldn't have pulled off. This year already has a different "air" around it and it is sure damn encouraging! NICE WIN!!

The atmosphere was indeed great tonight. Though I think the smaller crowds at the Kent State and BC games were more "into it". There were a lot of casual fans there tonight not really watching the game, just drinking their beer. That will always be the case but I hope we start converting some of these folks into real fans. Even the back half of the student section didn't seem really into the game until the last 10 min.

SLU did win so I am not going to complain much but I feel that the freshman forwards really did show that they have a long way to go tonight.

-Willie was getting pushed around all night.

-BT still looks lost on defense to me. His failing to get out on a perimeter shooter cost us more than once.

-As much as I loved the run Conklin went on, he has to work on not getting these stupid fouls. As coach Moser said after the game, "Five fouls in less than 18 min!?!"

Don't get me wrong, I love these guys. There is just a long way to go.

Anyone notice a bit more zone defense tonight? GW scored a wide open trey right away. Bet we won't be seeing much more of that.

You were disappointed in the freshman? When is the last time SLU had two freshman forwards averaging 7ppg? And neither is playing more than 25 minutes per game. Lay off of them. This trio could do some special things. None of them have been a disappointment and Conklin and Reed have both exceeded expectations in my opinion

It was my first game at the Chai and it was pretty good. I am a student (distance education MS program) so I bought tix on FRI for $10 each then I got to the game and saw the "student entrance". They just wanted to see an ID and didn't swipe it. I don't know what that was about. My only complaint about last night was the parking. I had to park way over by the FOX and walk in the cold but I was running late and didn't take the time to try and find something closer. Where is the best place to park?

I don't know why you guys are complaining about the students or the crowd not being into it. While I wish that everyone was a wild screaming fan, that type of atmosphere is rare. There are very few venues that are like that. Those places aren't for teams that haven't made the tourny in 8 yrs. I just went to a game at Texas Tech vs. TCU. It was the first day back for students from break and I thought their arena would be rocking. They have a very nice venue and it is new and larger than ours but it wasn't near full and it was pretty tame. The students get to sit on the side of the court and it was pretty full but nothing special. The rest of the crowd was even more tame. They do have replaying bad calls by the officials down to a science there which SLU doesn't do. So I'm not too concerned about the crowd and actually thought it was good.

Mitchell is awesome but what is perhaps more entertaining was the dude (who I'm guessing is his dad) that danced up and down the stairs when he had a good play. SLU turnovers kept GW in it last night because SLU shot 51% and it was still tight. Offense did a good job working the ball around to get good shot selection. Seemed like we gave up a lot of Offensive Rebounds but that could've been due to the 4 guard line up or the clankers bouncing hard off the rim.

All in all good experience felt great to be on Campus in our own house.

It was my first game at the Chai and it was pretty good. I am a student (distance education MS program) so I bought tix on FRI for $10 each then I got to the game and saw the "student entrance". They just wanted to see an ID and didn't swipe it. I don't know what that was about. My only complaint about last night was the parking. I had to park way over by the FOX and walk in the cold but I was running late and didn't take the time to try and find something closer. Where is the best place to park?

I don't know why you guys are complaining about the students or the crowd not being into it. While I wish that everyone was a wild screaming fan, that type of atmosphere is rare. There are very few venues that are like that. Those places aren't for teams that haven't made the tourny in 8 yrs. I just went to a game at Texas Tech vs. TCU. It was the first day back for students from break and I thought their arena would be rocking. They have a very nice venue and it is new and larger than ours but it wasn't near full and it was pretty tame. The students get to sit on the side of the court and it was pretty full but nothing special. The rest of the crowd was even more tame. They do have replaying bad calls by the officials down to a science there which SLU doesn't do. So I'm not too concerned about the crowd and actually thought it was good.

Mitchell is awesome but what is perhaps more entertaining was the dude (who I'm guessing is his dad) that danced up and down the stairs when he had a good play. SLU turnovers kept GW in it last night because SLU shot 51% and it was still tight. Offense did a good job working the ball around to get good shot selection. Seemed like we gave up a lot of Offensive Rebounds but that could've been due to the 4 guard line up or the clankers bouncing hard off the rim.

All in all good experience felt great to be on Campus in our own house.

Laclede Garage usually charges 5 bucks. It think last night was the 3rd time they had free parkng. It's great that they were apparently letting students in free. It looked like they were frequeting the concession stands, so I would think they got their money back. Let's fill those stands and keep the wins coming!

Guest BillikenReport

Let's fill those stands and keep the wins coming!

Hopefully the students realize they can go watch an entertaining team play on campus, have a good time and still be able to go out to have fun afterward.

Then hopefully they come back for the next game.

This team will be fun to watch.

The best place to park is to give $10,000 to the Billiken Club and get VIP parking in the lot behind the arena. Alternatively, you can pay just $15 a game, park right in front of the arena on Compton, and be able to get out of the lot in no time at the end!

oh brother :unsure:

Laclede Garage usually charges 5 bucks. It think last night was the 3rd time they had free parkng. It's great that they were apparently letting students in free. It looked like they were frequeting the concession stands, so I would think they got their money back. Let's fill those stands and keep the wins coming!

I may be wrong, hos that for CYA, but I was under the impression that the student ticket price is now included in their toution fees. All the student has to do is swipe his or her id to verify they have paid. They may have had to choose that as an optional fee when they enrolled I am not sure. :unsure:

The officiating tonight was really annoying. At one point (when they almost did not call the goaltending at the end), I thought the people in my section were going to rush the floor and string up the referees, and I am talking about a bunch of 40, 50, and 60+ year old men AND women.

Wait a minute...I was assured that this sort of thing never happened! LOL :lol:

I may be wrong, hos that for CYA, but I was under the impression that the student ticket price is now included in their toution fees. All the student has to do is swipe his or her id to verify they have paid. They may have had to choose that as an optional fee when they enrolled I am not sure. :lol:

I beleive it was around $150 for the student tickets. I think my student will be a bit ticked if they are free after paying for her tickets.

Wait a minute...I was assured that this sort of thing never happened! LOL :lol:

I know that there is a lot of criticism of some of the older fans sitting on their collective asses and not doing anything, but I have to tell you, the older fans around me are pretty boisterous. I was really worried when I got my new seats that I would be offending people with my, ahem, assisting the refs, but it turns out that I am pretty tame compared to the people around me. How refreshing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I know that there is a lot of criticism of some of the older fans sitting on their collective asses and not doing anything, but I have to tell you, the older fans around me are pretty boisterous. I was really worried when I got my new seats that I would be offending people with my, ahem, assisting the refs, but it turns out that I am pretty tame compared to the people around me. How refreshing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In my experience the older folks are the ones who are all over it.

In my experience the older folks are the ones who are all over it.

Yeah, my personal all time favorite is the old guy that takes his shoe off and yells out 'You stink REF!'