Observations on Beal

NH

actually just the opposite. soderberg stayed around way too long on too many potential recruits and missed out on the next tier in the process.

I disagree, Roy, because I don't think you're telling the whole story (I think both you and CR88 are correct). Soderberg did stay around way too long on too many recruits, but the problem was he wasn't offering. So by the time he did offer or decide not to, both these recruits and the Plan B recruits had made their minds in other ways.

'Early and often' - deserving recruits in our area should be getting an offer from SLU first. They should be watched and contacted as much as the rules allow by SLU's coaching staff. No excuses.

In the Beal case, my hope is that Porter Moser is developing a nice relationship with him, even if our head coach for some ridiculous reason doesn't have a line of communication with him, and is telling Beal: "Look, don't worry about not hearing from Majerus right now. He's building this program. By the time you are in a Billiken uniform, he's going to be wrapping up his career and this is my program from that point on and I want you to build it with me." I still think having the head coach fully involved is important, but that's the best we can hope for if not.

I disagree, Roy, because I don't think you're telling the whole story (I think both you and CR88 are correct). Soderberg did stay around way too long on too many recruits, but the problem was he wasn't offering. So by the time he did offer or decide not to, both these recruits and the Plan B recruits had made their minds in other ways.

'Early and often' - deserving recruits in our area should be getting an offer from SLU first. They should be watched and contacted as much as the rules allow by SLU's coaching staff. No excuses.

In the Beal case, my hope is that Porter Moser is developing a nice relationship with him, even if our head coach for some ridiculous reason doesn't have a line of communication with him, and is telling Beal: "Look, don't worry about not hearing from Majerus right now. He's building this program. By the time you are in a Billiken uniform, he's going to be wrapping up his career and this is my program from that point on and I want you to build it with me." I still think having the head coach fully involved is important, but that's the best we can hope for if not.

i think we are playing semantics. soderberg refused to put out multiple offers. say he had five to give, he would have five offers on the table. whereas a rickma would say offer 10 and tell them first to accept wins. so from that standpoint soderberg didnt offer.

but then he would wait until the very end for say jacob pulley to actually sign with kstate when the truth is as soon as huggins got involved he should have known that was over. that example plays out down the line every year. he had the offers out there during the early signing period but should have said, take it or i am moving on or had multiple offers out there and filled them first come first serve.

if you are referring to the juco fiasco for stemler, that isnt a normal scenario. that whole thing was just stupid and the truth is rickma basically got burned the same way last year with harrelson. so i dont hold either coach responsible for that b.s. the kids were just fed bad information from their "trusted" advisors and then fell for the dog and pony show on their official visits.

i think we are playing semantics. soderberg refused to put out multiple offers. say he had five to give, he would have five offers on the table. whereas a rickma would say offer 10 and tell them first to accept wins. so from that standpoint soderberg didnt offer.

but then he would wait until the very end for say jacob pulley to actually sign with kstate when the truth is as soon as huggins got involved he should have known that was over. that example plays out down the line every year. he had the offers out there during the early signing period but should have said, take it or i am moving on or had multiple offers out there and filled them first come first serve.

if you are referring to the juco fiasco for stemler, that isnt a normal scenario. that whole thing was just stupid and the truth is rickma basically got burned the same way last year with harrelson. so i dont hold either coach responsible for that b.s. the kids were just fed bad information from their "trusted" advisors and then fell for the dog and pony show on their official visits.

Well if we are to believe what has been written about Stemler, he was ours if Brad had offered in the Fall but because he waited until the Spring he allowed others to get in and lure him away. That is not the same as Harrelson and RM - RM offered the kid the first chance he had and the kid just went for the dog and pony deal.

Well if we are to believe what has been written about Stemler, he was ours if Brad had offered in the Fall but because he waited until the Spring he allowed others to get in and lure him away. That is not the same as Harrelson and RM - RM offered the kid the first chance he had and the kid just went for the dog and pony deal.

but brad was chasing bigger fish in the fall that he offered and ended up signing with other programs. if he had offered stemler that fall, i would have said and i would have been shocked if others as well wouldnt have questioned why he was offering a two time transferee who had last sat on the end of bradley's bench and had been injured most of his career. he didnt explode until after the fall signing dates. it made no sense to offer stemler in the fall.

then in the spring, soderberg was the first program to offer him a scholarship, but then his "advisors" were busy telling him he was then too big time to go to slu. sorry it was same.

My thoughts exactly. Plus, Porter is an excellent recruiter.

but brad was chasing bigger fish in the fall that he offered and ended up signing with other programs. if he had offered stemler that fall, i would have said and i would have been shocked if others as well wouldnt have questioned why he was offering a two time transferee who had last sat on the end of bradley's bench and had been injured most of his career. he didnt explode until after the fall signing dates. it made no sense to offer stemler in the fall.

then in the spring, soderberg was the first program to offer him a scholarship, but then his "advisors" were busy telling him he was then too big time to go to slu. sorry it was same.

I wasn't referring to any specific incident, like Stemler or Harrellson. When it comes to local recruits, we all know by now who got away on Brad's watch for one reason or another. I give him credit for keeping Lisch and Liddell home and for offering Griffey before anyone else; other than that, his recruiting was an almost unmitigated failure.

Like you said, he didn't get enough offers out and he was too slow to make up for his misses. He overanalyzed players to a fault. So we experienced the double-whammy of missing out on the top local recruits who went to bigger programs as well as the next tier who he wasn't quite sure about, and we were left with...well, guys who were way below the level of players I'd expect to see at SLU.

-there is part of me that cannot wait for 2011/12 as the current frosh will be in their senior season and we hopefully will be done talking about UB and his recruiting or lack thereof

-and i admit i still comment on the topic, sort of like the smoker telling the other smoker to quit smoking i guess

-i guess we are drawn into the discussion as it is like the wreck on the side of the road, you don't want to look but you do, even if ever so quickly

Being that I've heard we have offered Beal and are actively recruiting him, I find it hard to believe that Majerus hasn't contacted Beal personally. That being said, I guess it's possible that Moser's done all the contacting to this point.

I think Majerus' recruitment of Scott Suggs should be a pretty good indicator of how he'll go after Beal. He offered and actively recruited him, but was not bound to that offer and seemed to know early enough that he needed to go after other options.

Being that I've heard we have offered Beal and are actively recruiting him, I find it hard to believe that Majerus hasn't contacted Beal personally. That being said, I guess it's possible that Moser's done all the contacting to this point.

Could be that since Beal is a soph, Moser is the most likely SLU coach he would play for...

I think Majerus' recruitment of Scott Suggs should be a pretty good indicator of how he'll go after Beal. He offered and actively recruited him, but was not bound to that offer and seemed to know early enough that he needed to go after other options.

actually given that we know that rickma isnt the biggest fan of the aau system and orange julius (a known aau presense) has shown his distaste for rickma recruiting, and the rules would prohibit rickma from directly contacting beal (as an underclassmen, rickma either has to wait for beal to contact him or use some sort of intermediary to make a 3rd party contact normally that would be an aau coach) and chaminade's coach doesnt have the MO of being a big slu fan, all things considered, i wouldnt be 100% sure that rickma has contacted beal.

comparing him to suggs is not fair yet as suggs was a senior when rickma came to billikenland and the rules change at that point for contact.

Could be that since Beal is a soph, Moser is the most likely SLU coach he would play for...

While possible, do you really think they're telling Beal that? I certainly buy that Moser's taken the lead on the recruiting, but I don't buy the assertion that Majerus hasn't contacted him because Moser is telling the kid that he'll be head coach by the time Beal is a frosh.

comparing him to suggs is not fair yet as suggs was a senior when rickma came to billikenland and the rules change at that point for contact.

I'm just pointing out that Rick seems to know when a recruit is not going his way, which I thought was pretty evident with the way he recruited Suggs.

i dont buy for a second that moser is saying anything even remotely close to insinuating he is the future coach or that something like that would happen anytime soon.

as much as we all like porter, the allure to playing for the billikens at this time is to play for hall of fame rickma. not up and comer porter.

in fact any reference to the contrary imo would be used against us by other coaches imo.

now porter might tell recruits he has no plans to go elsewhere and loves being the associate head coach with a hall of fame coach like rickma, but i cant believe he would present otherwise.

My sources tell me that Beal is still waiting to see if SLU is seriously considering signing any werewolves in the 2010 class. Beal likes the hustle and bloodlust that a werewolf brings to the game. I think if we do indeed have two remaining scholarships for the next two years, we would be wise to use the first on a solid werewolf ASAP and then see if Beal bites (pun intended) in response.

i dont buy for a second that moser is saying anything even remotely close to insinuating he is the future coach or that something like that would happen anytime soon.

as much as we all like porter, the allure to playing for the billikens at this time is to play for hall of fame rickma. not up and comer porter.

in fact any reference to the contrary imo would be used against us by other coaches imo.

now porter might tell recruits he has no plans to go elsewhere and loves being the associate head coach with a hall of fame coach like rickma, but i cant believe he would present otherwise.

I agree with your read on this - I am not sure why some on this board keep pushing the idea that RM has one foot out the door. I expect him to honor his 6 year contract and perhaps even extend after that. No need to do anything with RM's contract until it expires since he won't go any place else. He will end his coaching career here - at least that is my read on him.

actually given that we know that rickma isnt the biggest fan of the aau system and orange julius (a known aau presense) has shown his distaste for rickma recruiting, and the rules would prohibit rickma from directly contacting beal (as an underclassmen, rickma either has to wait for beal to contact him or use some sort of intermediary to make a 3rd party contact normally that would be an aau coach) and chaminade's coach doesnt have the MO of being a big slu fan, all things considered, i wouldnt be 100% sure that rickma has contacted beal.

I wouldn't say that about Kelvin Lee. I don't think he's got anything personal against SLU. He was an assistant there under Spoon and I'm not aware of any bad blood. That said, I know him to be a guy to push his players to do what's best for them, and if he's disappointed in the SLU head coach for not contacting his stud sophomore before all the other head coaches got in the mix, that probably doesn't bode well.

Beal doesn't have the blinders on. He doesn't seem to have a "dream program" in mind already. He never said anything about where he wouldn't go. He's a sophomore and is wide open- get after him now. Majerus still has home-field advantage on this kid, and it would be stupid to let him slip away. Not to mention, he's a straight-A student and Rick seems to care about that more than a lot of other coaches.

I wouldn't say that about Kelvin Lee. I don't think he's got anything personal against SLU. He was an assistant there under Spoon and I'm not aware of any bad blood. That said, I know him to be a guy to push his players to do what's best for them, and if he's disappointed in the SLU head coach for not contacting his stud sophomore before all the other head coaches got in the mix, that probably doesn't bode well.

Beal doesn't have the blinders on. He doesn't seem to have a "dream program" in mind already. He never said anything about where he wouldn't go. He's a sophomore and is wide open- get after him now. Majerus still has home-field advantage on this kid, and it would be stupid to let him slip away. Not to mention, he's a straight-A student and Rick seems to care about that more than a lot of other coaches.

Agreed. K. Lee was at the UNC A&T game last week and I think still comes to numerous games each season so there can't be too much bad blood.

While possible, do you really think they're telling Beal that? I certainly buy that Moser's taken the lead on the recruiting, but I don't buy the assertion that Majerus hasn't contacted him because Moser is telling the kid that he'll be head coach by the time Beal is a frosh.

Of course you're right; Porter's not telling him that. The point is that Porter is talking to him and he also represents the likely continuity of the program. Not having Majerus around forever has to be on the mind of every recruit as Rickma's tenure lengthens.

Why would he have a SLUH clipboard or did you mean SLU? I would think walking around with local h.s. stuff might put off a kid from another school.

Im sorry I meant to say SLU. I get confused typing the two a lot

Of course you're right; Porter's not telling him that. The point is that Porter is talking to him and he also represents the likely continuity of the program. Not having Majerus around forever has to be on the mind of every recruit as Rickma's tenure lengthens.

I actually think the longer Rickma stays the less effect this will have. Once he gets to the three year mark their will be a lot less talk about him burning out or not being handle it physically. I don't think Rickma is going anywhere for a long time. Every move that he has made indicates that he plans on being here longterm. He hasn't attempted one quick fix for the program, but has actually made moves that sacrifice the short-term for the long-term.