Macauley calls out Post on SLU coverage

thetorch

St. Louis University is the city's only major college basketball program. The fans who attend the games at the Savvis Center are making a financial contribution to the city government and to our local university. St. Louis University has not had any athletic scandals for some time, while the University of Missouri has been embroiled in controversy for most of this season. So why is it that the Missouri basketball program continues to receive more favorable front page coverage than does our own local school? I find it difficult to understand and feel the situation should be corrected.

There was a time when the Billikens were not only recognized with headlines of the sports page, but even commanded headlines on the front page of the newspaper.

Ed Macauley, Manchester

---------------

Thanks Ed for sticking up for the program. Unfortunately the day they run Ed's letter we get more drivel from Burwell.

"No. 21 ranked Louisville will be in town Wednesday to play St. Louis U, which is battling to keep its more modest (did someone say NIT?) postseason hopes alive. Remember the last time Louisville came to town? The Cardinals were the hottest team in the nation last season, and the overachieving Billikens pulled off the upset and turned Savvis Center into a wondrous hoops hothouse."

When will SLU get any credit? At least Burwell thinks we have the possibilty of making the NIT. I am tired of this overachieving crap. SLU has a damn good team whose hopes for an at large bid are far from over. The NIT is an afterthought at this point of the season. Why play up the consolation prize while we still have a chance at the dance?

how does that prove anything? because some idiot post sports editor that decided that was important doesnt prove that we dont know who ed mccauley is. imo, anyone in the country that doesnt know who ed mccauley and claims to be a basketball fan needs a hard lesson in basketball history. my gosh, he is a hall of famer.

heck, judging by the student attendance for most games at the savvis, probably 99% of the student body couldnt tell you who brad soderberg and reggie bryant are.

1. Cardinals

2. Rams

3. Blues

4. Mizzou

5. Billikens

6. Illini

7. Prep Sports

8. Auto Racing

9. Golf

What is our appropriate postion? Curious to hear people's thoughts. Inject a little realism though ...

I don't think we need to see SLU in the top 3!

Do the east - siders think that the Illini should be ahead of us?

I went to almost every game for 4 years (98-02). I'm an avid sports fan, even coach basketball, and I had been in the metropolitan area every year of my life until about 6 months ago (now stranded next to DePaul) .. and I never would have gotten a whiff as to who "easy ed" was if it weren't for the fact that Kevin Shortal balled in the rec center all the time and eventually made the team, and I read his bio.

In many publications it's customary to see editor's notes under letters written by people who either a) have some vested interest in the subject matter they're writing about or B) has achieved some level of prominence.

Take BusinessWeek, for example. If Patrick Stokes writes a letter to the editor in response to an article in the previous week's edition, the editor will note that Mr. Stokes is the president and CEO of Anheuser-Busch.

I didn't take the editor's note as any disrespect towards Mr. McCauley, SLU, Billiken fans or anyone else. It's just illustrating that Mr. McCauley is not just any supporter of the Billikens program; he's a Billiken legend.

I would actually switched the Blues and Mizzou. I am sorry, but hockey is struggling to remain a big time sport (its ratings are horrible). I know St. Louis is a Hockey town (and cheesycow will get on me for this), but the College Football and Basketball of Mizzou is more popular IMO in St. Louis than Hockey is.

Steve

I have to agree that most people would not know who Ed McCauley is. That is a shame, but true. In regards to BRoy's comment (i think it was broy) about 99% of the student body not knowing who soderberg and bryant are, my little brother did a spot for SLUTV where he interviewed students about their thoughts on the new arena. He said that over half responded "What arena?" And this was the week after the arena made the front page of the UNews. It was the top story with a picture of the arena. The students on this campus amaze me.

Hockey is popular in St. Louis but the Blues are a terrible mediocre franchise. St. Louis was at one time a hockey town. Now most people don't pay attention to the Blues.

I would rank em like this

1. Cardinals

2. Rams

3. Mizzou Football/bball

4. Blues

5. SLU

The PD is a Newspapar!!!! The most Newsworthy story should get the headlines. Stories of equal newsworthiness should then be ranked aas you suggest. But a Newsworthy story on the bills should trump other stories about blues or Cardinals if not at the same level

IE.... Cardinals Breaking ground vs SLU beating East Carolina.....(hypothetical) sure Cards Breaking ground on a new stadium is significant.

My beef is not with the order at how the post deals with SLU, MU and Illinois, it is when they do not recognize a significant game/win.

The best example of this is the Depaul win in chicago....I bet this is the game and its subsequent stories that Ed got ticked about....SLU got a small headline, for a surprising come from behind win on the road against a probable NCAA tourney team, and The 36 type was used for Mizzou beating Baylor the last place team in the Big 12.....