First week tried the hotdogs, second week the ch burgers

GOSLU68

We were early the first game so my hot dog did not taste that bad and was warm but only because I ordered it and came back in 10-15 minutes to collect the two of them and by then they were hot and not cooked enough to split or get crispy brown or black but no longer looked like the commissary food at the Ed Jones Dome. I asked the kids to actually put them on the grill and they did which was nicer than taking closed up sandwiches that are pre-wrapped from the warmer and handing them to you. They had no meet on the grill prior to or after I left-not old enough to know it the sizzle that sells the steak not the other way around.

Week two, tried the cheeseburgers-my wife ate one bite and would liked to put that back but no lady like way to do that. I ate mine because I knew there was a good chance it was cooked in the last 24 hours even though it looked congealed and tasted like the old jack in the box with the soy meal mixed right in to keep your cholesterol low.

I thought the Ed Jones Dome food was the worst I ever had at an arena; I am hoping they switch vendors. I plan to try something different in the next game or two but I can't say Ill eat anything Saturday with a game time of 1:00 and the recent experience pretty off-putting.

I had a cheeseburger, fries, and a bottle of water for about what a decent meal would cost and it was awful. The burger was so cold the cheese was not even melted and the taste was not good; the fries were also cold. Very disappointing. They really need to get this corrected. I didn't want or buy one but the candy bars were $3.25 I think.

I had a double cheese burger and a Bud Light before he game at Humphries. It was great.

Went to Triumph before the game and it was a great time. They had half off apps and half off pitchers of beer before the game. The food and atmposhere are great.

Went to Triumph before the game and it was a great time. They had half off apps and half off pitchers of beer before the game. The food and atmposhere are great.

Were those happy hour specials or gameday specials? That is, will those be around on Saturday for a pre-game lunch?

We ate at The U. before the UMSL game - good sandwiches, wings, etc. And they have a liquor license now if you want to get loaded up - er, drink responsibly - before the games.

Anyone know what the scene is like there before and after games?

XU has an on-campus bar called Ryan's Pub in the student union, and it's generally packed before games. They have 90-cent blue beer (dyed Bud Light) on gamedays, so we took advantage of it last week after the IPFW game. Not a bad place, but it seems to be more of a pregame than postgame spot.

I usually eat at the neighboring establishments.

Most have eaten at them, but if you haven't, I'll pull a Bonwich for the average person.

Pappy's is excellent. It's fresh, tasty, all items, with excellent service, generous portions, and good value. I like Memphis style BBQ vs the sweetness of KC, or NC, or the meaty Texas style, the best, though all are good, and that helps with Pappy's too for me.

The "U" has had to work out plenty of new restaurant kinks and mistakes and has been inconsistent, though the sammies are generally very good. I enjoy the Peppercorn Ranch Chicken with Onion Straws the best, a good sammie. Value is average, portions are a little bit inconsistent, service is solid.

Vito's scores well for taste, pastas and pizzas. Service is inconsistent and slow at times from anyone not named Lafata. Value is decent.

Triumph, haven't had enough tries there for a full review yet. I was mildly disappointed with the first few attempts, mostly at food quality and value with a couple of sammies, ...Shrimp club in particular was disappointing. Good atmosphere and a nice effort to bridge the theater crowd and sports crowd in atmosphere, cost, and items. Being a new establishment I'll be given them other tries down the road. It fits a need for the area.

Buffalo Brewing, I haven't had enough tries there to comment.

Joe Boccardi's further down the street. I'm not a fan. I'll eat there in a pinch. Laclede Street scores well for value, average bar food. Iggy's is average to below average Tex Mex with generous portions.

I had nachos at the UMSL game and they were in a small paper basket with about 10 chips and enough cheese to cover all the chips, it was without a doubt the worst nachos I've ever had. The $3. price is right, but how do you f up nachos.

I've only had appetizers at Triumph but they have been very good every time. I love the food at Vito's but the service is worse than the Chaifitz nachos, especially if Vito is waiting on you at the bar.

I've been there 3-4 times now - I'd say it's a little above average food-wise. They have a seasoned bison burger that's really tasty, and the buffalo chili was pretty good too. I've tried a few of their beers and really liked them all - the Buffalo Red is probably my favorite. Service has been decent every time. It was pretty crowded before the UMSL game.

BTW, a new place - Cafe Ventana - recently opened up in a formerly vacant building on West Pine, just west of Vandeventer. I haven't been there yet but want to give it a shot. It's far enough of a walk that you'd want to eat there then drive to your parking spot. They've done a great job renovating the building.

http://cafeventana.com/index.php

I had nachos at the UMSL game and they were in a small paper basket with about 10 chips and enough cheese to cover all the chips, it was without a doubt the worst nachos I've ever had. The $3. price is right, but how do you f up nachos.

I've only had appetizers at Triumph but they have been very good every time. I love the food at Vito's but the service is worse than the Chaifitz nachos, especially if Vito is waiting on you at the bar.

Boston College game they actually had hot hors devours in the bars set up for Billiken Club members.

Billiken Club looks like it got a hint the chips weren't turning people into lines for the mixed drinks. Now maybe they will upgrade the hot dogs and burgeers at the stands. (note: there was a minimum ticket buy or donation

and I know it was at least $2,000) you were probably sent a card and letter if your plan met the minimum.

The food looked great but we met friends pre-game at Soda Fountain Square about 20th and park across from Sqwires and the Lafayette Pub or Square One- micro brewery. We had staple, diner food malts, burgers, great pot pie at the Soda Fountain

Also near to Chaifetz we checked out Triumphs' which is a very nice grill and moto museum; I think this was the Dixie Cup building at Theresa just across the wedge from Olive Street campus parking. Desserts were tiny and very reasonable if you did not save room and the Ruben could be had by

a half sandwich with side salad. Fries were decent for those who are real picky about french fries. The also had a trio of soup tasters for those who like to explore.

Also near to Chaifetz we checked out Triumphs' which is a very nice grill and moto museum; I think this was the Dixie Cup building at Theresa just across the wedge from Olive Street campus parking. Desserts were tiny and very reasonable if you did not save room and the Ruben could be had by a half sandwich with side salad. Fries were decent for those who are real picky about french fries. The also had a trio of soup tasters for those who like to explore.

I went to Triumph on Saturday - had a great meal. The place itself is really cool and they have a good-sized bar area.

I usually eat at the neighboring establishments.

Most have eaten at them, but if you haven't, I'll pull a Bonwich for the average person.

Pappy's is excellent. It's fresh, tasty, all items, with excellent service, generous portions, and good value. I like Memphis style BBQ vs the sweetness of KC, or NC, or the meaty Texas style, the best, though all are good, and that helps with Pappy's too for me.

The "U" has had to work out plenty of new restaurant kinks and mistakes and has been inconsistent, though the sammies are generally very good. I enjoy the Peppercorn Ranch Chicken with Onion Straws the best, a good sammie. Value is average, portions are a little bit inconsistent, service is solid.

Vito's scores well for taste, pastas and pizzas. Service is inconsistent and slow at times from anyone not named Lafata. Value is decent.

Triumph, haven't had enough tries there for a full review yet. I was mildly disappointed with the first few attempts, mostly at food quality and value with a couple of sammies, ...Shrimp club in particular was disappointing. Good atmosphere and a nice effort to bridge the theater crowd and sports crowd in atmosphere, cost, and items. Being a new establishment I'll be given them other tries down the road. It fits a need for the area.

Joe Boccardi's further down the street. I'm not a fan. I'll eat there in a pinch. Laclede Street scores well for value, average bar food. Iggy's is average to below average Tex Mex with generous portions.

Courtside, where is "The U"? Is it in the Busch Memorial Ctr. or is a private establishment?

Courtside, where is "The U"? Is it in the Busch Memorial Ctr. or is a private establishment?

It's a private establishment. It's in the same building as Pappy's and Buffalo Brewing - on Olive, just east of Compton.

It's kind of a Penn Station-type place - grilled sandwiches, salads, wings, etc.

http://www.theustl.com/