The Atmosphere

davidnark

We can debate whether or not the Fisher kid walked, but no one is talking about what an awesome atmosphere it was for the second half and overtime. The whole crowd was into the game, the student section was great (and even caused Kent State to missed a few free throws), and the players were clearly engaged with the crowd. It was exactly what we all hoped would happen at the on-campus arena. I can't wait until we start selling the place out.

We can debate whether or not the Fisher kid walked, but no one is talking about what an awesome atmosphere it was for the second half and overtime. The whole crowd was into the game, the student section was great (and even caused Kent State to missed a few free throws), and the players were clearly engaged with the crowd. It was exactly what we all hoped would happen at the on-campus arena. I can't wait until we start selling the place out.

Pretty much everyone was into the game except for the folks sitting in the gold seat sections who couldn't get off their ass even in crucial moments. Some things will never change.

All in all, I agree though that the atmosphere was fun and once we start selling it out and winning that place will become a real pit.

I totally agree. I'm so happy that I was wrong and the 3 seniors plus the Kids made a great game of it. I'm sorry for you out-of- towners, because it was everything we've all dreamt of. When the place is filled, it's going to be awesome.

Bummer that we lost, but the team played as hard as they could. There were some surprises in the game plan, including the dunks by WR. Our team is much better than RM has warned, and we'll get better. TL and KL were exceptional, and BE had a solid 2nd half. KM is an enormous upgrade, and BC is going to be a very solid contributor this year. He has a wonderful feel for the game, and his confidence really grew in the second half.

Anyone who can get in town, should!!!!

I agree. Great atmosphere and really loud for only 6k or so. I got company seats courtside and those people won't get up for anything (I'm the guy in the video on the bottom right making the travel call on the final play). When we got the lead for the first time it got loud and it seemed only people on the end got up (where my season seats are). The people around me clapped but stayed seated.

Seriously, it felt like a REAL college basketball game atmosphere - something we've never really had. Despite the outcome, it was a lot of fun and just indicative of what we'll have to look forward to in the days to come. If you chose not to buy seats this year, buck up and buy some general admission tickets - it's totally worth it. This is what we've always wanted.

The students have been awesome, and I hope even more show up for the BC game. They were giving Singletary a hard time with their constant "DUI!" chants. After he missed a FT, they chanted "He's still wasted!" and he shot an air ball on the second free throw. I believe the "Hey Baby" chant was "Heyyyyyy Chris. We wanna know. Are you drunk right now?"

Great halftime show too - Quick Change. Not quite as good as the unicycle bowl lady - she was unbelievable - but still good.

-great work by the blue crew on the chants and the hey baby, the kid from bc will love you guys

-can someone explain how there are 2 different sets of stats? while shooting free throws i love the courtside ribbon board with the player's in game stats, but they are not the same stats as on the 4 corner boards

-this makes no sense to me

BTW, last night's performance really was impressive.

Think about it.

We took the GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS to overtime. That's an NBA team, folks. That just shows the guts, talent and toughness this team possesses. We could have won!

Wait, what's that? We were playing Kent State and not Golden State?

Why did Guy Phillips keep saying "Golden State" then?

Think about it.

We took the GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS to overtime. That's an NBA team, folks. That just shows the guts, talent and toughness this team possesses. We could have won!

What a game last night despite the frustrating loss. The atmosphere was great depiste the building only being 60% full. I cant imagine how loud the place will be when its full. It really makes me mad that the people in the "cushy" seats cant get off their butts and cheer especially in a highly contested game like that. On a side note, my throat is sore as ###### this morning for yelling so much, gotta drink lots of hot tea before saturday. Lets pray the refs are decent saturday...

Also, how can Fire Guy constantly call the other team Golden State? I can maybe understand if it slips once but I heard it 3 different times.

Guy sux.

I think I might have to step down behind Guy's spot and give him a nice berating at halftime Saturday. The old fogeys behind him should be letting him have it, but oh wait, they rarely show up. I've been waiting for him to be shoved out of that job since I was a kid. He's embarrassingly bad. So is his morning show.

Glass half full: the noise and enthusiasm from the student section was terrific!

Glass half empty: And so was the student section -- the bleachers were maybe 75 percent full and the section above them was empty. How hard is it to get more than 500 students to a game now that we're on campus?

Hint to gameday activity coordinators: Have anyone singing the anthem sing it for you first; teach anyone using a microphone how to use it. (Kudos on the halftime shows so far, though!)

I was really hoping Guy would call the other team Kent Brockman. That said, the entire sidelines operation still lacks the professionalism of a first-class organization. The scoreboard rarely matches the line-up that's actually in the game; the courtside stats were frequently inaccurate. I'm pretty sure the halftime stats were wrong, too, because they showed KS with a 10% 3Pt percentage.

I'd also very strongly suggest that using your PA announcer as an explicit cheerleader is 1) grossly unprofessional; 2) probably in violation of NCAA guidelines. What this really points out is that we need to re-implement cheerleaders who really cheer (as well as some who can throw balls higher than row D). Getting rid of male cheerleaders might not have been the best move of the off-season.

But Saturday is a brand new game!

Think about it.

:P i said the same thing to my brother sitting next to me. ironically fisher could probably be playing for the warriors!

how much longer will we have to endure guy phillips. please slu, explain why he is our pa announcer.

:P i said the same thing to my brother sitting next to me. ironically fisher could probably be playing for the warriors!

how much longer will we have to endure guy phillips. please slu, explain why he is our pa announcer.

Roy, I know you tend to be in contact with people in the AD quite frequently- have you ever brought this up? That gig can't be very high paying or have a long term contract, so it couldn't be too hard to break it off if enough of us complained. I've heard virtually no one say positive things about him. I think the consensus among fans, and this board is certainly a good indicator (the students also rip on him for sucking), is that we want him replaced with someone who just does a solid, straightforward, professional, relatively mistake-free job.

The fact that people even mention him at all should be a sign that he's not doing a very good job. Like refs, if you come out of the game really noticing the PA guy, he probably sucks.

He isn't married or related to anyone in the athletic department, is he?

i havent since woolard has been gone. i think joe hit the nail on the head. we need that booster to realize how embarrassing the man is to the program for anything to happen likely.

i havent since woolard has been gone. i think joe hit the nail on the head. we need that booster to realize how embarrassing the man is to the program for anything to happen likely.

i was surprised how hard it was to get people to stand up.... I was looking right at you, Roy!! ;-)

i was surprised how hard it was to get people to stand up.... I was looking right at you, Roy!! ;-)

sorry i am not going to stand just to stand in the middle of the game. i will stand on great plays, bad calls, etc. down the stretch when the whole arena is into it, yes i will stand. but imo, the stand just to stand is stupid. up and down at strategic points will accomplish more heat than just standing to stand.

I had to miss this game as I had practice with my girls, but I'm leaving work early to be there Saturday. With a full house we need to be loud and intimidating for 40 minutes. I'm right next to the band and I promise I'll be heard. From what I've read about this game ... if we play well we can win.