hughes hurt again

I guess they won't be able to trade him for awhile.

with his salary, i doubt he was very tradeable at his point. he had just recently been put back in the starting lineup as hinrich was having trouble dealing with being the off guard to rose.

Had he just stayed another year or two at SLU, he wouldn't be having these problems. :P

Good one. He should've been an All-Star in 2005 when he averaged 22ppg, 6rpg, 5apg, and led the league in steals as Washington made its first trip to the playoffs since the Chris Webber era. He got robbed. He missed some time that year as always, but he really did have a heck of a year for a playoff team. I think he did make one of the All-Defensive teams though.

Good one. He should've been an All-Star in 2005 when he averaged 22ppg, 6rpg, 5apg, and led the league in steals as Washington made its first trip to the playoffs since the Chris Webber era. He got robbed. He missed some time that year as always, but he really did have a heck of a year for a playoff team. I think he did make one of the All-Defensive teams though.

No doubt, the Legend's had a rough go of it injury wise. I saw the report. He'd scored 21 when it happened. I agree w/ Broy, with his salary and injury history, the Bulls would find it hard to find a taker. Hope he makes a speedy recovery.

Larry has to be laughing all the way to the bank.

I doubt it. I bet he's frustrated. If he could play full seasons healthy, he might have a lot more in the bank.

But yeah, it's nice to have huge paychecks coming in anyway.

I doubt it. I bet he's frustrated. If he could play full seasons healthy, he might have a lot more in the bank.

But yeah, it's nice to have huge paychecks coming in anyway.

I wasn't meaning to insinuate that Larry didn't care if he was hurt. It was more of a comment towards the people that don't consider Larry a Billiken great because he only stayed one year.

There's probably some truth to that, he'd have been made to work more in the weight room and may have put on some extra muscle and become stronger.

yeah spoon had such a vigorous weight training program.

heck he has been in the nba 9 years and has LOST 4 pounds and that is with an nba state of the art training facility available his entire pro career. the legend is what he is.

I saw him play in person for the first time when the Wizzards played the Warriors here in one of the most boring games I ever saw anywhere. But it was my first & only chance to see him. After I saw him get clobbered every time he drove to the basket, and looking at his skin & bones build, I wondered if he would make it through that game with the beating he took. I'm amazed he's lasted this long. He has the skills, but I wondered if he was tough enough. He looked fearless to me. I admired that, he earned every penny.

I wasn't meaning to insinuate that Larry didn't care if he was hurt. It was more of a comment towards the people that don't consider Larry a Billiken great because he only stayed one year.

Got it. Yeah, I agree completely with you and Box. I would have loved to have him another year, but he's undeniably an all-time SLU great even with just the one. Can't blame him for taking an opportunity.

I saw him play in person for the first time when the Wizzards played the Warriors here in one of the most boring games I ever saw anywhere. But it was my first & only chance to see him. After I saw him get clobbered every time he drove to the basket, and looking at his skin & bones build, I wondered if he would make it through that game with the beating he took. I'm amazed he's lasted this long. He has the skills, but I wondered if he was tough enough. He looked fearless to me. I admired that, he earned every penny.

That is one thing that has struck me about his career- every time I've seen him on TV, he never seems to be "soft." He's scrawny by NBA standards but is always putting himself out there, driving, going for loose balls and steals. Maybe if he had a softer mindset and strayed from contact or playing good D he would have avoided some injuries...or if he were a better outside shooter.

Watching his career actually reminds me of my main gripe with the NBA- one guy drives to the hole while his teammates stand around the perimeter, gets clobbered, and shoots FTs. A body like Larry's can only take so much of that. There's too little incentive not to foul a guy driving through the lane because everyone in the league is so skilled and can finish. So we just get this isolation offense and hard foul garbage.

with his salary, i doubt he was very tradeable at his point. he had just recently been put back in the starting lineup as hinrich was having trouble dealing with being the off guard to rose.

You could only trade him for someone who also has a high contract but doesn't necessarily fit that teams needs. The bulls have too many guards.

That's what I meant by boring Pistol. I had great mid court tickets given to me, so I went to the game. It was one on one, walk up and down the court with no fan reaction. When time out came the rap started blasting, folks shot tee shirts into the stands, kids held up signs & danced to get on the scoreboard video, the place went nuts !! I stood up to stretch & the lady behind me yelled at me to SIT DOWN !! I did & the game started & it got quiet again.

PS the place was sold out that night.

That's what I meant by boring Pistol. I had great mid court tickets given to me, so I went to the game. It was one on one, walk up and down the court with no fan reaction. When time out came the rap started blasting, folks shot tee shirts into the stands, kids held up signs & danced to get on the scoreboard video, the place went nuts !! I stood up to stretch & the lady behind me yelled at me to SIT DOWN !! I did & the game started & it got quiet again.

That's a sad state of affairs. I've been to a few exhibitions at the Savvis Center, which were actually not bad because you get to see some of the guys who might not make the roster or play much but are still recognizable names from college. Only problem with those is the stars sit or play a few minutes tops.

I guess one of the problems with the atmosphere in Oakland is that the Warriors have not been very competitive for so long.

I have probably been to 6 or so Bulls games from when I lived in Chicago- one playoff game when they were eliminated by the Heat a couple years ago and some regular season games, mostly sitting in one of the boxes that the bank I used to work for had. They were all right, but long stretches of quiet are bound to occur in a 3-hour regular season NBA game. I liked being in the box because at least I had free booze and food. I can't say I contributed much to the atmosphere, though. The only way to get rid of that is to put a better product on the floor, but I'm not sure what rule changes would make it more exciting.

I had the good fortune of going to game 4 of the 2000 NBA Finals, Pacers vs. Lakers in Indianapolis. The Lakers came into it up 2 games to 1. I can honestly say this was the most exciting NBA game I have ever seen by a long shot, and I would challenge anyone to come up with a better one, particularly one that didn't feature Jordan, Magic, or Bird. Kobe and Shaq had foul trouble early, Kobe was on a sore ankle, and Reggie Miller was on. It was all Reggie and Shaq down the stretch and it went into double overtime, ending on a miss (barely) by Miller from 3 to win it. 120-118, Lakers. The problem with this game is that I've never seen anything else close to it in the NBA since then.

When time out came the rap started blasting, folks shot tee shirts into the stands, kids held up signs & danced to get on the scoreboard video, the place went nuts !! I stood up to stretch & the lady behind me yelled at me to SIT DOWN !! I did & the game started & it got quiet again.

So, aside from the "sold out" part, SLU crowds aren't that much different than pro crowds, huh? :P

So, aside from the "sold out" part, SLU crowds aren't that much different than pro crowds, huh? :P

Hey, at least when SLU sells out, it's loud. Unfortunately, that might be due to a large constituency for the other team, a la the Poplar Bluff Mules cheering for UNC a couple seasons ago.

There's probably some truth to that, he'd have been made to work more in the weight room and may have put on some extra muscle and become stronger.

...or maybe blown out a knee and wound up with nothing. Correct me if I'm wrong, but most accounts indicated Hughes would not have been eligible to play at least in the first semester of his sophomore year. He decided to go pro in December of his freshman year and bagged the academics. Again, please let me know if I'm off base on this.

...or maybe blown out a knee and wound up with nothing. Correct me if I'm wrong, but most accounts indicated Hughes would not have been eligible to play at least in the first semester of his sophomore year. He decided to go pro in December of his freshman year and bagged the academics. Again, please let me know if I'm off base on this.

I recall hearing after KY blew us out in the second round, LH said he was coming back for at least one more year. Then someone told him he'd be a lottery pick and an idiot not to take the money and run. You can't fault him for leaving given his brother's condition and need for special care. Heck, even w/o his brother you can't fault him.

Hey, at least when SLU sells out, it's loud. Unfortunately, that might be due to a large constituency for the other team, a la the Poplar Bluff Mules cheering for UNC a couple seasons ago.

I don't think it was mentioned in the Billiken Club reports, but either the AD or RM mentioned that they were attempting to get a former Billiken's NBA team to play a preseason game in the Chaifetz next year.

I don't think it was mentioned in the Billiken Club reports, but either the AD or RM mentioned that they were attempting to get a former Billiken's NBA team to play a preseason game in the Chaifetz next year.

Out of lack of knowledge and abundance of curiosity, who would comprise that team? Bonner and Hughes are the only two I can think of off the top of my head. Wouldn't the rest be old as hell? Not that there's anything wrong with that, I still like the idea of everybody drinking 3 20 oz beers at halftime before hitting the floor again.