2 for 1 Scheduling Thought

TheA_Bomb

I know that the merits of this years schedule have been debated but the general feel is that it is weak. Even to us the most knowledgeable of College Basketball fans it lacks a really exciting home match-up. Maybe it is time for us to schedule some big name schools to a 2 for 1 deal. Could we get Illinois, Ohio St., UK, UF, UT, Cincy, UofL or some big name programs to go for that? I am not usually an advocate for this but we haven't had that many marque out of conference home games UNC was two years ago and SIUC doesn't count for me. I think this maybe the time to do it. We probably won't be that good this year with 8 Freshman on the team so our record and RPI will be bad and maybe some would be apt to accept the offer. Then the Billikens begin to come into their own and we have these teams locked into 3 games. This works if we win those road games in the future. Get on TV in those games get the name out there and gain respectability so we don't have to do it again. This is assuming that Majerus can't work big name games out otherwise.

I know that the merits of this years schedule have been debated but the general feel is that it is weak. Even to us the most knowledgeable of College Basketball fans it lacks a really exciting home match-up. Maybe it is time for us to schedule some big name schools to a 2 for 1 deal. Could we get Illinois, Ohio St., UK, UF, UT, Cincy, UofL or some big name programs to go for that? I am not usually an advocate for this but we haven't had that many marque out of conference home games UNC was two years ago and SIUC doesn't count for me. I think this maybe the time to do it. We probably won't be that good this year with 8 Freshman on the team so our record and RPI will be bad and maybe some would be apt to accept the offer. Then the Billikens begin to come into their own and we have these teams locked into 3 games. This works if we win those road games in the future. Get on TV in those games get the name out there and gain respectability so we don't have to do it again. This is assuming that Majerus can't work big name games out otherwise.

-i am not disappointed in the schedule as we have sooo many frosh that are going to get pt

-so i think rick's plan is to try to win some games to build some confidence in everyone

-i think rick said he would not do 2 for 1's, but not sure on that

-if we were to do 2 for 1's, and i don't think we need to, my opinion is UK and UF are the only 2 on your list worth considering

-i am not disappointed in the schedule as we have sooo many frosh that are going to get pt

-so i think rick's plan is to try to win some games to build some confidence in everyone

-i think rick said he would not do 2 for 1's, but not sure on that

-if we were to do 2 for 1's, and i don't think we need to, my opinion is UK and UF are the only 2 on your list worth considering

Once you go to a 2-1 strategy, you have cooked your goose. You will be pressured by all the BCS schools to do that - so I say no. I can live with this schedule for now.

I am generally against that idea, but would only consider it for what I would consider perennial top 10 caliber programs (North Carolina, Duke, Kansas, UCLA,) and if it there was a guarantee for at least one of the games to be on ESPN.

i agree with cheese. cant do it.

what should be happening is father biondi using his jesuit connects and rickma using his connects.

imo, this is as much about rickma not having a losing season as anything else. i hope he can keep his streak alive. it's all about rick you know. if we were true billiken patriots we would gladly pay more for less in an effort to keep the streak alive.

Good thoughts. I would not rule out ocassionally doing a "2 for 1" but don't see the real need yet. Schedule will increase as our team's competitiveness increases. As previously stated, not real happy about this year's schedule and no way will SLU sell out the upper bowl seeking $28 per ticket, but can deal with the schedule this year. Expecting an upgrade next year and to have a much stronger one 2 years from now. Strenthening the schedule does not mean, IMO, multiple games with top-tier BCS schools.

For example, I looked at Xavier's schedule this year - because we all want our program to be similar to/exceed theirs and note the following:

1. Preseason. Unlike RM with his closed practice session (assuming still on against Memphis), X plays 2 traditional home exhibition games against Toledo and IPFW (a team we have played as non-conference games). Neither team (Toledo or IPFW) will challenge for the NCAA Championship but both are much stronger than our traditional games against Harris Stowe, UMSL and Maryville. Why do we play such cupcakes? Just because of the AAU rule change preventing us from playing Spirit Express and Atheletes in Action does not mean that we must play a school with 15 miles of campus. Possibly, SIU Edwardsville (now Division I and in Ohio Valley) would be a team we can get to play exhibition game with. SLU needs to do better.

2. BTW, when I looked up Toledo to confirm they are Division 1 also, I note they are opening up their new home arena with a game against UMass. I sure hope our kids are not as afraid of strong competition as RM and Chris May.

3. Tournament. X, of course, has a more established team/program with alot of recent success and therefore is in a stronger tournament than us. Even though I don't give them credit (not home/away games), they do start the season with a tournament game against - of all teams - Mizzou and then play the winner of Fairfield/VA Tech. We will be in better tournaments soon so I have patience.

4. X has its regular game against Cincy and we really need to resume our match against Mizzou - and if not - then Illinois.

5. X has its regular/annual games against Ohio and Miami like we do against SIUC and Missouri State (except for this year). Disappointed we could not play another Valley school in the absence of MO State this year.

6. X also has games against Robert Morris, Virginia, LSU, Butler, Auburn and Duke. We are playing BC and Nebraska should play either Purdue, Indiana and/or keep some ties with our former Conference USA rivals. To drop all of them completely is inexcusable.

7. X has no game against the other Catholic schools - DePaul, Notre Dame, Marquette, GTown, Gonzaga. I find that a shame that these schools don't play X either and not sure how realistic it will be for us to schedule them either. Hope I am wrong about that but would like to continue scheduling Detroit Chicago Loyola (possibly add Creighton and extra Valley school) for now.

Still strong supporter of our program but hoping for better things to come.

4. X has its regular game against Cincy and we really need to resume our match against Mizzou - and if not - then Illinois.

if someone has explained this i have forgotten - how does it make sense for illinois to play 2 games in stl every other year?

i did not know that, thanks for enlightening me

i will say it is better than it being all about brad

that is hillarious. when was it ever? you still havent let that go. hillarious. get over it.

soderberg, romar, spoonhour and grawer never let the billikens present a home schedule like we will see this year.

if someone has explained this i have forgotten - how does it make sense for illinois to play 2 games in stl every other year?

According to BOTH Mizzou and Illinois, right now it doesn't. Both are coming into St. Louis each year, both are using the trip for recruiting purposes, both are using the trip to help fundraising, play in front of their greater St. Louis area fans and keep their Alums happy, both are being treated like kings in the media and at Savvis and both are getting significant national attention for this game. Because of the success of this annual match-up, it is hard to imagine that a second trip would be anywhere near as productive for either program. 2 losses for the same program would really hurt and a loss to SLU by the winner would sure take the luster off the other win. Hence, both don't want to play us.

Without a second trip, though, then we would NEVER play either school so something needs to give. Ideally, if SLU were consisently the best program year in and year out and their BorderWar game turned into a match for 2nd and 3rd place, then things would change. That, however, is merely wishful thinking by this Bills fan. Until then, however, you're right.

Is this a tough challenge (convince either/both to come to town for a second trip) for Chris May and RM? Absolutely. Then, again, this is their job and they and last I checked, they are being compensated quite nicely to undertake this challenge.

what should be happening is father biondi using his jesuit connects and rickma using his connects.

imo, this is as much about rickma not having a losing season as anything else. i hope he can keep his streak alive. it's all about rick you know. if we were true billiken patriots we would gladly pay more for less in an effort to keep the streak alive.

Roy, you are making a big leap here in suggesting you know the motivations of RM. Last year, you suggested that RM was willing to cost us some wins early in the season by trying to install his system... that doesn't sound like the actions of a guy obsessed with keeping his streak alive, does it?

Again, nobody has been able to explain how this year's nonconference schedule is so much different from last year's non-conference schedule.

Yeah Roy, that's what Rick is worried about. Come on. Do you really want 8 freshman getting the ever living s*** kicked out of them every night by the likes of UNC, DUKE, KU? No, of course you don't. I am so tired of this schedule bs. We have 8 freaking freshman on the team. Willing your way to a win can only take you so far.

Personally I'd rather us get 20 wins and make it to the a10 tourney than get the ###### kicked out of us every night... oh wait.. we might get a "moral" victory in there somewhere.

A little over the top don't you think.

A little over the top don't you think.

I was about halfway through Roy's post and I thought to myself, how did he get 5 responses to this (i.e. it makes sense). Then the last sentence. Over the top is a nice way to describe it.

Yeah Roy, that's what Rick is worried about. Come on. Do you really want 8 freshman getting the ever living s*** kicked out of them every night by the likes of UNC, DUKE, KU? No, of course you don't. I am so tired of this schedule bs. We have 8 freaking freshman on the team. Willing your way to a win can only take you so far.

Personally I'd rather us get 20 wins and make it to the a10 tourney than get the ###### kicked out of us every night... oh wait.. we might get a "moral" victory in there somewhere.

Why are we selling our team so short? Does Freshmen automatically we are bad and will lose games unless we play UMSL, Liberty, Savannah State, USC Upstate, etc.

Why stop at 20 wins? Why not substitute BC, Kent State and Nebraska for Fontbonne, Maryville and SEMO? Maybe Parkway Central High School has some available dates as well to get us to 21 wins!

Who is serious about filling our non-conference schedule with UNC, Duke and KU? The only way that would ever happen is by virtue of a miraculous run in the NCAA Tourney. Let's get serious.

How about replacing Missouri State (not on the level of UNC, Duke and KU) with another Valley school or someone on their level? Gee, maybe there would be some interest if Bradley came to town. Why not try to get a series started with any team from the prior Conference USA (we have no connections with them anymore and/or they are all scared of playing us again) or Wisconsin or Purdue of the Big 10 or Colorodo (Chris May) or Kansas State with the Big 12. All of these schools would, in my mind, be enough of a "name school" to make the schedule more appealing. Heck, we doubled (or more) the cost of a ticket and the schedule quality dropped.

Based upon comments from Nate and Timmerman, hope appears on the horizon with the return of Missouri State and the beginning of new home & away series so I am looking forward to better competition next year. Yes, I want our Bills to win but wouldn't it also be nice to see a few good players or teams come to town?

Roy, you are making a big leap here in suggesting you know the motivations of RM. Last year, you suggested that RM was willing to cost us some wins early in the season by trying to install his system... that doesn't sound like the actions of a guy obsessed with keeping his streak alive, does it?

Again, nobody has been able to explain how this year's nonconference schedule is so much different from last year's non-conference schedule.

last year we had four home buy games, furman, long beach st, sam houston and iupui (ironically, sam houston and iupui were all they could be!)

this year we have seven, umsl, savanaugh state, samford, usc upstate, liberty, university of maryland baltimore county, and north carolina a &t.

this las vegas tourney is a total joke. sticking us with two of the above bad games. but then if we lose to a probably mediocre depaul we will not get to play creighton as hoped but will play also projected terrible fresno state. at least last year's "tourney" gave us national power pitt guaranteed in the final game after the two horrible games. and at least those two terrible games were on the road instead of on our nickle.

four buy games is bad enough (imo, it shouldnt be more than two and preferably none. let's play 100-150 rpi teams in home and away's.

your point about rickma last year, all i can say is he held up his consecutive winning season record.

Why are we selling our team so short? Does Freshmen automatically we are bad and will lose games unless we play UMSL, Liberty, Savannah State, USC Upstate, etc.

Why stop at 20 wins? Why not substitute BC, Kent State and Nebraska for Fontbonne, Maryville and SEMO? Maybe Parkway Central High School has some available dates as well to get us to 21 wins!

Who is serious about filling our non-conference schedule with UNC, Duke and KU? The only way that would ever happen is by virtue of a miraculous run in the NCAA Tourney. Let's get serious.

How about replacing Missouri State (not on the level of UNC, Duke and KU) with another Valley school or someone on their level? Gee, maybe there would be some interest if Bradley came to town. Why not try to get a series started with any team from the prior Conference USA (we have no connections with them anymore and/or they are all scared of playing us again) or Wisconsin or Purdue of the Big 10 or Colorodo (Chris May) or Kansas State with the Big 12. All of these schools would, in my mind, be enough of a "name school" to make the schedule more appealing. Heck, we doubled (or more) the cost of a ticket and the schedule quality dropped.

Based upon comments from Nate and Timmerman, hope appears on the horizon with the return of Missouri State and the beginning of new home & away series so I am looking forward to better competition next year. Yes, I want our Bills to win but wouldn't it also be nice to see a few good players or teams come to town?

clock i think you and i are the only ones that have the confidence that our team can compete at a higher level right away.

clock i think you and i are the only ones that have the confidence that our team can compete at a higher level right away.

It sure apears that way. I just don't get it. Maybe the fear of the unknown is worse than I thought.

I was very concerned last year at this time. Without being too rough on our guys last year (who by all accounts were great guys), we had to go into the season with a tall guy who showed nothing more than a few minutes of potential over 4 years but who despite being a 5th year senior lacked experience, stamina and could not ever ever stay healty; an undersized point guard who could not shoot ever in his 4 years (why can't we call him a bad shooter -- why must we say he "lost confidence in his shot" - is it because we have a double standard for local guys who go to certain high schools?), an undersized "power forward" who again played out of position but who gave it his best while being the favorite of every Brittany Spears loving pre-teen girl; and a 6'4" converted forward and back-up center who played heroicially for 1/2 a season on 1 and 1/2 legs? These guys need to carry the load with TL and KL while getting zero help from a slow, not great shooting 6'7" forward who still things he is a guard, a power forward who could not get off Brad's bench for 2 years running and local kid who played no AAU ball, had no other offers and was still around in May of his Senior year. Where were the cries to weaken the schedule last year?

This year, we return 4 guys inlcuding possibly our best guard combo ever, along with 7 freshmen who each are RM type guys and who bring something different to the table and yet we are afraid to play a team in the Top 100 to Top 150? Every good player we ever had at SLU made significant contributions their first year - the Freshman year. Who thinks these 7 guys will end up like Brads recruits? Why the panic? Inexperience does not equal bad.

SIU has 6 freshman and only 1 player returning that received any sort of all conference recognition in Bryan Mullins. The Bills at least return 2 in TL and KL. Below is SIU's non-con schedule, why can't the Bills do something more like this. I would be mad as hell if I was a season ticket holder as well. You can also add the Bracketbuster as well. I know the A-10 thinks it is above this but it has treated SIU really well.

http://siusalukis.cstv.com/sports/m-baskbl...skbl-sched.html

2008-2009 SCHEDULE

Mon., Nov. 3 vs. Missouri Southern Carbondale, Ill. 7:05 p.m. CT

Thu., Nov. 6 vs. Southwest Baptist Carbondale, Ill. 7:05 p.m. CT

2K Sports Classic (at SIU Arena)

Tue., Nov. 11 vs. California (Pa) Carbondale, Ill. 7:35 p.m. CT

Wed., Nov. 12 TBD Carbondale, Ill. 7:05 p.m. CT

2K Sports Classic (at MSG)

Thu., Nov. 20 TBD New York, N.Y. 7:00 p.m. ET

Fri., Nov. 21 TBD New York, N.Y. TBA

Wed., Nov. 26 at Western Kentucky Bowling Green, Ky. 7:00 p.m. CT

Tue., Dec. 2 vs. Saint Louis Carbondale, Ill. 7:05 p.m. CT

Sat., Dec. 6 vs. Charlotte Carbondale, Ill. 1:05 p.m. CT

Sun., Dec. 14 at Nevada Reno, Nev. 3:05 p.m. PT

Wed., Dec. 17 at Northern Illinois DeKalb, Ill. 7:05 p.m. CT

John R. Wooden Tradition (at Conseco Fieldhouse)

Sat., Dec. 20 vs. Saint Mary's Indianapolis, Ind. 6:00 p.m. ET

SIU has 6 freshman and only 1 player returning that received any sort of all conference recognition in Bryan Mullins. The Bills at least return 2 in TL and KL. Below is SIU's non-con schedule, why can't the Bills do something more like this. I would be mad as hell if I was a season ticket holder as well. You can also add the Bracketbuster as well. I know the A-10 thinks it is above this but it has treated SIU really well.

http://siusalukis.cstv.com/sports/m-baskbl...skbl-sched.html

2008-2009 SCHEDULE

Mon., Nov. 3 vs. Missouri Southern Carbondale, Ill. 7:05 p.m. CT

Thu., Nov. 6 vs. Southwest Baptist Carbondale, Ill. 7:05 p.m. CT

2K Sports Classic (at SIU Arena)

Tue., Nov. 11 vs. California (Pa) Carbondale, Ill. 7:35 p.m. CT

Wed., Nov. 12 TBD Carbondale, Ill. 7:05 p.m. CT

2K Sports Classic (at MSG)

Thu., Nov. 20 TBD New York, N.Y. 7:00 p.m. ET

Fri., Nov. 21 TBD New York, N.Y. TBA

Wed., Nov. 26 at Western Kentucky Bowling Green, Ky. 7:00 p.m. CT

Tue., Dec. 2 vs. Saint Louis Carbondale, Ill. 7:05 p.m. CT

Sat., Dec. 6 vs. Charlotte Carbondale, Ill. 1:05 p.m. CT

Sun., Dec. 14 at Nevada Reno, Nev. 3:05 p.m. PT

Wed., Dec. 17 at Northern Illinois DeKalb, Ill. 7:05 p.m. CT

John R. Wooden Tradition (at Conseco Fieldhouse)

Sat., Dec. 20 vs. Saint Mary's Indianapolis, Ind. 6:00 p.m. ET

Are you kidding? Your both your non-conf and your conf schedule are worse than ours. Western KY, Nevada Reno, No Illinois and St. Mary's Indy? No thanks.

i think you guys are misreading the siu schedule.

western kentucky was the 39th rpi team last year.

st mary's isnt in indy, that is just where they are playing the randy bennett team st mary's was 36th

nevada was ranked 74th last year. the game is in reno.

northern illinois indeed was dreadful 296th and cal pa is a d-2 school.

two buy games. i could live with that. and the one, northern illinois is at least a regional game as well.