not political - Chaifetz last night

Cowboy

-as i said, not political....

-went to the GOP debate watch party and here are my observations on the arena so many days after the globetrotters....

-i would guess it was 70% full, but tough to gauge with all the people on the floor, so may have been more than that

-no beer served

-concession stands were open, took a LONG time for the lines to move (will be tough to get 2 beers runs accomplished at halftime at this rate)

-heard several people question the limited food offerings (i almost asked if they thought they were at applebees, but restrained)

-heard MANY people say things like - wow, this is really nice re. the bldg

-heard several people rave about the video boards

-there was some great scenery on hand

-no beer served

-sound problems, again, multiple times, i don't know if this was a function of the sound system or who was running it, but this will have to be fixed come Nov

-on the floor after the gov's speech it was hot, i guess with all the lights and the people, but it was hot (and so is she, btw)

-getting into the compton garage was not a problem, i came from grand to lindell to compton

-getting out of the compton garage was tough - 50 minutes from the second from the top level - but they did have compton closed for most of that time

-can i ask for some feedback?? - is this reasonable- if you are going to park in the garage for bball games, and are going to back in to your spot - you should only attempt this if the task can be accomplished on average over the course of the season in 1.5 tries, but i would hope we can all agree SIX tries is way too many - and if that was you mr 6 timer, yes it was my group in the car behind you with our hands out the window clapping on your success-after 6 tries

-hopefully the exiting of the garage can be accomplished quickly when all the roads are open

-in the garage there were all kinds of people directing traffic

-my hopes for a garage across the street someday seem dashed as harris stowe is buliding a new education bldg, but there is still their baseball field....

-can i ask for some feedback?? - is this reasonable- if you are going to park in the garage for bball games, and are going to back in to your spot - you should only attempt this if the task can be accomplished on average over the course of the season in 1.5 tries, but i would hope we can all agree SIX tries is way too many - and if that was you mr 6 timer, yes it was my group in the car behind you with our hands out the window clapping on your success-after 6 tries

:)

I don't understand the whole backing in thing. Backing out is not that difficult to do.

Cowboy said:

-as i said, not political....

-went to the GOP debate watch party and here are my observations on the arena so many days after the globetrotters....

-i would guess it was 70% full, but tough to gauge with all the people on the floor, so may have been more than that

-no beer served

-concession stands were open, took a LONG time for the lines to move (will be tough to get 2 beers runs accomplished at halftime at this rate)

-heard several people question the limited food offerings (i almost asked if they thought they were at applebees, but restrained)

-heard MANY people say things like - wow, this is really nice re. the bldg

-heard several people rave about the video boards

-there was some great scenery on hand

-no beer served

-sound problems, again, multiple times, i don't know if this was a function of the sound system or who was running it, but this will have to be fixed come Nov

-on the floor after the gov's speech it was hot, i guess with all the lights and the people, but it was hot (and so is she, btw)

-getting into the compton garage was not a problem, i came from grand to lindell to compton

-getting out of the compton garage was tough - 50 minutes from the second from the top level - but they did have compton closed for most of that time

-hopefully the exiting of the garage can be accomplished quickly when all the roads are open

-my hopes for a garage across the street someday seem dashed as harris stowe is buliding a new education bldg, but there is still their baseball field....

A few questions/comments:

-If you went to the speech, you had to be there early for the debate, right?

-Was it sold out, or did it at least look full?

-Was it general admission seating?

-I'm sure the closure of Compton had a lot to do with the time it took to leave the garage- shouldn't be that bad on game nights. Majerus and Palin probably don't have the same level of security detail.

I don't understand the whole backing in thing. Backing out is not that difficult to do.

UPS teaches all of it's drivers to ALLWAYS back first. You are most aware of your surroundings when you arrive. That is how they have avoided the number one cause of accidents.....backing. You get to see where you are going when its time to leave.

Box, that's the problem, you just want to go with the flow and pull directly into the spot and then point fingers backward when you could have just backed yourself into a corner and then focused on moving forward. You should watch me park. I've reached across parking lines and done what's best for everyone. Me and my driving mate. He's "The Maverick".

You are most aware of your surroundings when you arrive.

That seems even more relevant at sporting events if you've had a few to drink. That being said, it is beyond my comprehension how so many people suck so badly at driving their own cars. I think after several months, but most definitely after a year of driving your car, you should know exactly how it parks, brakes, accelerates, turns, etc. People just don't seem to know their cars and it shows all over the road/parking lot/whatever. I have had my Jeep for 5 years, and I would say that I can eyeball my turning radius to within 6" or a foot. Same goes for parallel parking. If you have any more than 5 feet plus the length of your vehicle it should not be a problem. But I see morons in hatchbacks pass up 20 foot spots all the time and I just shake my head. Oh well, at least I don't suck.

Sorry, I know we didn't want this thread to digress into finger-pointing and vehicular debate, but I just can't help it when the fate of our cars is at stake.

UPS teaches all of it's drivers to ALLWAYS back first. You are most aware of your surroundings when you arrive. That is how they have avoided the number one cause of accidents.....backing. You get to see where you are going when its time to leave.

I'm an advocate of backing in and pulling out. There's less hassle when time to leave. When backing out, your view is restricted. Try backing out sandwiched between two minivans! On rare occasions I've had people steal my spot when I try to back in, but I've learned how to avoid that. Besides, I prefer to park further away, where there's less competition and congestion and so I burn a few more calories.

I remember a soccer game with large attendance (4,000 +) and it took forever to get out of the garage and that was with Compton open. So I try not to park in the garage if there is going to be a large crowd. However, on that night, there was no one to direct traffic and you had to wait for normal Compton traffic to get out.

Hopefully, there will be attendants and the traffic on Compton will be controlled by the police after the games as they did at Scottrade. I think it can empty faster, but there have to be people there to direct the traffic.

By the way, has anyone noticed the signs on Olive directly across from the garage that says Saint Louis University Parking. There is a large building that had a small parking lot we used to use for soccer games. Eventually that was closed off. Now it is a two way drive way leading to Locust. Once on Locust there is a large surface lot with the same signage. That's at least one additional lot to use.

Was watching Anderson Cooper last night after the debate as Sarah Palin was making her way to the Fetz. He absolutely butchered the name of our new facility.......mentioning it several times as "Hifetz Auditorium"

Classic.

Was watching Anderson Cooper last night after the debate as Sarah Palin was making her way to the Fetz. He absolutely butchered the name of our new facility.......mentioning it several times as "Hifetz Auditorium"

Classic.

I heard that too. Something tells me there's going to be a lot of mispronunciations in the days ahead.

A few questions/comments:

-If you went to the speech, you had to be there early for the debate, right?

-What network broadcast did they show on the screens for the debate?

-Was the crowd made up of pretty much all GOP supporters, or were there any pro-Obama-Biden people?

-Was it sold out, or did it at least look full?

-Was it general admission seating?

-I'm sure the closure of Compton had a lot to do with the time it took to leave the garage- shouldn't be that bad on game nights. Majerus and Palin probably don't have the same level of security detail.

I have had LONG delays exiting that garage on more than one occasion with Compton open. I really don't want to park in that garage for bball but am hesitant on the street parking north of there.