Jeremy Felton

Westy03

He has given SIU a verbal commitment according to The Southern. Im not sure if SLU was recruiting him but he has some upside-6'6 power forward that can really get up off the floor. Roy, is he the first kid to play basketball at all 3 Belleville schools?

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

He has given SIU a verbal commitment according to The Southern. Im not sure if SLU was recruiting him but he has some upside-6'6 power forward that can really get up off the floor. Roy, is he the first kid to play basketball at all 3 Belleville schools?

as far as i know.

he is a tremendous athletic talent. great get by siu.

Yep, you can build a tourney team around Saint Louis area talent. SIU has done it for years, Cuonzo Martin has picked up 3 area guys since April, one day SLU will build around the area as well. They did win 20 games in 2007 with 4 area starters. I think Brad was finally starting to build from the inside-out. This year's version does feature 6 area guys, so maybe I'm over exaggerating. I hope they keep it up though with the local influx, and I counted Daniel Lisch in the 6.

Yep, you can build a tourney team around Saint Louis area talent. SIU has done it for years, Cuonzo Martin has picked up 3 area guys since April, one day SLU will build around the area as well. They did win 20 games in 2007 with 4 area starters. I think Brad was finally starting to build from the inside-out. This year's version does feature 6 area guys, so maybe I'm over exaggerating. I hope they keep it up though with the local influx, and I counted Daniel Lisch in the 6.

Do you think SLU is not trying to get some of these guys? I suppose Brad did pass up on a couple.

And as you note, SLU has gotten a decent amount of local kids.

Is there a reason why a kid would attend 3 different high schools in the same small town?

it is my understanding that the tuition became too much to stay at althoff and then went to east, and then before his senior year his family moved across the belleville east/west border and had to transfer to west.

Guest BillikenReport

he is a tremendous athletic talent. great get by siu.

You have to give Roy some credit on this one. He's been talking up Felton for probably six years now on this board, dating back to when Felton was a freshman on the J.V. team (or was it freshmen team?) at Althoff.

It won't be long before Southern Illinois is back in the NCAA tournament. Chris Lowery has the Salukis roster restocked with his best recruiting class (the Anthony Booker, Torres Roundtree group) and then adds an athletic JUCO forward like Felton.

A couple great ones, lol. Ahearn, Barnett, lol, and who knows, maybe Harrellson. He didnt swing and miss with them because he didnt swing at all. But overall, a couple NIT's, a 20 win year in his final season, Brad did a very solid job. I didnt always agree with his recruiting or his tedious and deliberate style of play, but towards the end, in particular that final season, I was really buying into what he was doing and I was excited about Relphorde and Mitchell and what they could do under him. And I'm sure he had a hand in the new arena being built and its kind of sad that he wont get to reap the benefits.

A couple great ones, lol. Ahearn, Barnett, lol, and who knows, maybe Harrellson. He didnt swing and miss with them because he didnt swing at all. But overall, a couple NIT's, a 20 win year in his final season, Brad did a very solid job. I didnt always agree with his recruiting or his tedious and deliberate style of play, but towards the end, in particular that final season, I was really buying into what he was doing and I was excited about Relphorde and Mitchell and what they could do under him. And I'm sure he had a hand in the new arena being built and its kind of sad that he wont get to reap the benefits.

Brad's hand in getting the arena built was his 9-21 season after they announced that they were going to build it. That season led to apathy from the givers and nothing he did after that turned anyone on. As far as talking about Relphorde and Mitchell as being recruiting studs - I am not sure most would agree, even the present coach did not. Finally, what did you like about where he was heading - unfilled schollies year after year, no local players of note signed, a record that was not getting us anywhere close to a NCAA bid or even a NIT. I am not responding to start the Brad bashing up again just trying to figure out what it is you liked.

Brad's hand in getting the arena built was his 9-21 season after they announced that they were going to build it. That season led to apathy from the givers and nothing he did after that turned anyone on. As far as talking about Relphorde and Mitchell as being recruiting studs - I am not sure most would agree, even the present coach did not. Finally, what did you like about where he was heading - unfilled schollies year after year, no local players of note signed, a record that was not getting us anywhere close to a NCAA bid or even a NIT. I am not responding to start the Brad bashing up again just trying to figure out what it is you liked.

Despite upsets in his final season to St. Bonaventure and I think it was Duquesne, he still won 20 games and did it with 4 local starts including two that were only sophomores. He got the best out of Liddell, 2nd team All-Conference, maybe the best rebouding guard in the nation. If he had been fired a season earlier it would've made more sense, but not aftter a 20 win season and his two best players coming back as juniors. I believe things were headed in the right direction. The recruiting benefits of a 20 win season would show up on the class of 2008, not 2007. If nothing else, I think it was bad timing. That being said I am excited about the Majerus era and what the freshman will do this year. I'm hoping that all this new blood and energy is channeled into a more uptempo aggressive style of play.

Despite upsets in his final season to St. Bonaventure and I think it was Duquesne, he still won 20 games and did it with 4 local starts including two that were only sophomores. He got the best out of Liddell, 2nd team All-Conference, maybe the best rebouding guard in the nation. If he had been fired a season earlier it would've made more sense, but not aftter a 20 win season and his two best players coming back as juniors. I believe things were headed in the right direction. The recruiting benefits of a 20 win season would show up on the class of 2008, not 2007. If nothing else, I think it was bad timing. That being said I am excited about the Majerus era and what the freshman will do this year. I'm hoping that all this new blood and energy is channeled into a more uptempo aggressive style of play.

After Luke, TL and KL, his recruitment of locals had sputter out. 20 wins that season only frustrated more since we did not get any bids and we did poorly in the A10 tourney.

After Luke, TL and KL, his recruitment of locals had sputter out. 20 wins that season only frustrated more since we did not get any bids and we did poorly in the A10 tourney.

soderberg was the lead recruiter on femi john, willie reed and brett thompson. there was a reason that angres was kept around for just one year. add to that kramer would have been here and possibly other locals. plus, he did bring in other area recruits that apparently werent rickma's guys, but he did bring in other area players after luke, liddell, lisch, and polk.

soderberg was the lead recruiter on femi john, willie reed and brett thompson. there was a reason that angres was kept around for just one year. add to that kramer would have been here and possibly other locals. plus, he did bring in other area recruits that apparently werent rickma's guys, but he did bring in other area players after luke, liddell, lisch, and polk.

Roy. Are you kidding? No one tried harder than Brad and Brad did a fine job pulling the team out of the mess left by Romar, but then the recruits totally stopped.

While it's debateable the contibutions of DM, clearly no one thinks he would have come close to replacing KL or TL. Brad also appeared to have given up on AK (few minutes played despite need for help with IV and then by playing the walk-on ahead of him). Again, if AK were still on this team, it would be merely as a role player. No one truly thinks he would be a real contributor. AM never played for RM so it's hard to tell; however, based upon his lack of offers from anyone else, his lack of playing much AAU ball, etc., it's hard to say he would have really contributed or replaced TL or KL. AM was a reach - an athletic kid who might develop the guard skills necessary for higher level D-I to go with his other attributes.

In short, Brad was the "lead recruiter" on many guys but just did not land them. Are you implying that Brad would have landed John, Reed and Thompson as well as others? I would like to think so (and no one wished Brad the success and pulled for him harder than me), but the results speak otherwise: Brad struck out in recruiting his second to last year by only landing DM and then again his last year by getting no one until Relephorde (also highly questionable) in the Spring. Limping into this season would not have helped Brad land the talent needed to get SLU to where it should be.

Roy. Are you kidding? No one tried harder than Brad and Brad did a fine job pulling the team out of the mess left by Romar, but then the recruits totally stopped.

While it's debateable the contibutions of DM, clearly no one thinks he would have come close to replacing KL or TL. Brad also appeared to have given up on AK (few minutes played despite need for help with IV and then by playing the walk-on ahead of him). Again, if AK were still on this team, it would be merely as a role player. No one truly thinks he would be a real contributor. AM never played for RM so it's hard to tell; however, based upon his lack of offers from anyone else, his lack of playing much AAU ball, etc., it's hard to say he would have really contributed or replaced TL or KL. AM was a reach - an athletic kid who might develop the guard skills necessary for higher level D-I to go with his other attributes.

In short, Brad was the "lead recruiter" on many guys but just did not land them. Are you implying that Brad would have landed John, Reed and Thompson as well as others? I would like to think so (and no one wished Brad the success and pulled for him harder than me), but the results speak otherwise: Brad struck out in recruiting his second to last year by only landing DM and then again his last year by getting no one until Relephorde (also highly questionable) in the Spring. Limping into this season would not have helped Brad land the talent needed to get SLU to where it should be.

Clock, to be fair, I believe Thompson said he was leaning to SLU while UB was coach.

Your other points seem right on the mark.

I feel bad for TL and KL that the recruiting dropped so far after them, I thought with them we had turned a corner.

Maybe we have turned it now, let's hope.

There is also the miss by UB on the big from his son's rival team.

STLHI ... would you prefer SLU be a good team (make the tourney every few years, solid NIT team)of local players or a consistent tourney team of players from across the country.

Are you implying that Brad would have landed John, Reed and Thompson as well as others?

clock all three said that they were leaning slu for a long time. if you remember, john wanted to commit and rickma originally refused to take his verbal. i do recognize that rickma taking over likely slammed the deals on all three as i am sure rickma stepping in was like a rock star visit from their viewpoint. however, i am convinced that rickma also recognized that soderberg's staff was the reason we were in that advantageous position.

thorpe was likely only kept around because of the deep inroads that soderberg had made with that class. otherwise it made zero sense to have kept him considering he was fired as soon as the season was over.

I am sorry but to say because John, Thompson, and Reed said they were leaning towards SLU does not mean they would have actually signed. We heard that song before and it did not pan out. I will give Brad credit on the 3 for only introducing them to what SLU had to offer outside of bb. Polk was a nice signing but he never panned out so after TL, KL and Luke, that was all Brad really got locally that were good. As far as Thorpe goes, when he agreed to be the interim coach when Brad was let go - if memory serves me right - SLU agreed to keep him on for the next year no matter who the coach was so I am not sure how he fit in or did not. After all , if Brad was the lead recruiter then AT would not have been that big of deal to the 3.

I am sorry but to say because John, Thompson, and Reed said they were leaning towards SLU does not mean they would have actually signed. We heard that song before and it did not pan out. I will give Brad credit on the 3 for only introducing them to what SLU had to offer outside of bb. Polk was a nice signing but he never panned out so after TL, KL and Luke, that was all Brad really got locally that were good. As far as Thorpe goes, when he agreed to be the interim coach when Brad was let go - if memory serves me right - SLU agreed to keep him on for the next year no matter who the coach was so I am not sure how he fit in or did not. After all , if Brad was the lead recruiter then AT would not have been that big of deal to the 3.

you are right. the fact that rickma has come back this year and far exceeded last year's recruiting is more than proof that brad and angres didnt give him any head start last summer.

you are right. the fact that rickma has come back this year and far exceeded last year's recruiting is more than proof that brad and angres didnt give him any head start last summer.

Maybe we should give it a little more time before we judge this year's class. As I recall, Brad didin't even make offers to recruits until mid-April of their senior year.

Maybe we should give it a little more time before we judge this year's class. As I recall, Brad didin't even make offers to recruits until mid-April of their senior year.

david, the point was that soderberg had nothing to do with rickma's success last year in recruiting even though 3 of the 4 earliest signees were the recruits that soderberg had hotly sent and then this year we have nothing with signing day less than 60 days away with the same number of open scholarships as we had last year.

Guest BillikenReport

david, the point was that soderberg had nothing to do with rickma's success last year in recruiting even though 3 of the 4 earliest signees were the recruits that soderberg had hotly sent and then this year we have nothing with signing day less than 60 days away with the same number of open scholarships as we had last year.

Of the recruits mentioned here (Thompson, Reed and John), I think you can only really say Thompson was "leaning" toward SLU when Soderberg was still the coach. I remember him saying that in an article in the P-D at some point. The other two, that just wasn't the case. John had a scholarship offer from SLU for several months while Soderberg was still coach — you know, the same time Soderberg supposed wasn't able to offer John's classmates — and was planning on waiting to see what else came before making his decision. John might have ended up at SLU anyway, but at no point did he say he was leaning toward the Billikens. As far as I know, Reed wasn't mentioned by Rivals.com or Scout.com for recruiting until right around the time he committed.

Soderberg was recruiting Eberhardt and Eberhardt liked SLU while BS was still the coach. He waited to make his decision until after Majerus got the job. Here's what Eberhardt told me about his recruiting and how he viewed SLU: It didn’t change too much, because SLU didn’t change. The coaching change was different, but it changed for the better.”

Majerus obviously found and recruited Mitchell and Conklin and went after Cassity late (but before other schools jumped on that bandwagon). He also brought in Eckerle, who wasn't going to play basketball at SLU.

SLU has missed out on several talented kids for next year's recruiting class, but I don't think you can blame Majerus when kids choose to play in the Big Ten, ACC or Pac 10. The Billikens are still in on a couple impact-type recruits for next year who would fit in nicely with what they already have. We'll see what happens.

A few more thoughts;

1. STL - TL was a great rebounder under Brad. At the same time, he should not have had so many chances to rebound. Instead, we should have signed one or two power forwards to complement IV (2 years ago), BH (last year) and WR and BT (this year). Also, with a real point guard, TL could have been used differently. In short, we had TL rebound because we lacked others.

2. Roy. Acknowledge that BT was leaning toward SLU. But then again, so was Stemler, Harrelson, Peterson (?) who chose Iowa w/o a head coach over SLU, and a whole host of other high school seniors and JUCOs (including the mineral area college guy). Femi John was listed more as one of the local AAU guys. Possibly you heard and knew about Reed from Kansas City but I did not.