SLU Ath. Director-a WPP job

bauman

Given the lack of visibility of our new (now not so new) AD, I was trying to figure out how and why he was operating so inconspicuously. Has he been told by his boss, RM, to just be quiet and invisible, make no public appearances or comments? Then it hit me----------

Since CL left, the SLU AD has clearly become a position in the Witness Protection Program---no one could ever locate the incumbent. I'm sorry, Chris. All this time I thought your approach to your new job was to low-key it. Now I understand. Neither you or the Federal Govt. want you to be located.

That's working out just great!

Chris is Majerus's puppet. Rick runs the show, chris has no authority, why would he leave colorado after so many years there to become an AD at a small school in the midwest. He was demoted at CU and we still hired him. RM got him because he knew he could control CHris

Not sure if you guys are joking are are just blowing steam, but in the unlikely event you are seriously expressing views you think to be true, you probably ought to do a little more homework.

Not sure if you guys are joking are are just blowing steam, but in the unlikely event you are seriously expressing views you think to be true, you probably ought to do a little more homework.

OS doesn't like Rickma because Rachel walks on his back and Rickma won't let OS park in the back lot. God forbid if people have to walk a block to the arena.

Chris is Majerus's puppet. Rick runs the show, chris has no authority, why would he leave colorado after so many years there to become an AD at a small school in the midwest. He was demoted at CU and we still hired him. RM got him because he knew he could control CHris

As a historic critic of Majerus, I find this laughable. Nobody who knows Majerus, or has observed him for more than a few hours, thinks he pays any attention as to what the AD does at SLU. What would he control? Meetings with the woman's soccer trainer?

I am glad you have Chris, because we are sure glad he is gone. You are stuck with him. I wish you all the best of luck with him, you guys will need it

I am glad you have Chris, because we are sure glad he is gone. You are stuck with him. I wish you all the best of luck with him, you guys will need it

Thanks for your post. Would appreciate any insight you can give. Is Chris more of a "do nothing" guy so you are glad he is gone or does he do a lot things but does them wrong and/or poorly - a "go in the wrong direction" guy?

Is a cordial and well-intentioned guy or is a an abrassive, ego-driven guy who does things his way or no way?

Thanks for your post. Would appreciate any insight you can give. Is Chris more of a "do nothing" guy so you are glad he is gone or does he do a lot things but does them wrong and/or poorly - a "go in the wrong direction" guy?

Is a cordial and well-intentioned guy or is a an abrassive, ego-driven guy who does things his way or no way?

Why would you think any CO fan would be trolling this website? His post is just one of our usual trolls who made the name up - my guess at least.

Why would you think any CO fan would be trolling this website? His post is just one of our usual trolls who made the name up - my guess at least.

I'm guessing that Biondi and the search committee checked out May's references and qualifications prior to making the hire.

Maybe he has changed, but was never had great people skills. To me he was a jerk. His resume might not say it, but he was demoted to a different position at CU but maybe at SLU it is a bigger position. To answer your question, he is pretty much a do nothing guy. You guys have to wonder, why was he at CU for so long and was never considered for the AD positon there? Why suddenly is he ready for SLU and not CU first. GOOD LUCK!!

Maybe he has changed, but was never had great people skills. To me he was a jerk. His resume might not say it, but he was demoted to a different position at CU but maybe at SLU it is a bigger position. To answer your question, he is pretty much a do nothing guy. You guys have to wonder, why was he at CU for so long and was never considered for the AD positon there? Why suddenly is he ready for SLU and not CU first. GOOD LUCK!!

I have to say that your description is right on the money so far. "Do nothing" about sums up the first few months of his SLU career, a time when I would think visibility is a high priority.

Boulder. Sounds like you had one (1) dealing with him other than from a distance as a casual fan. Sorry, but I thought you might have insight as his demotion and other skills.

Also, maybe you don't know, but SLU does not have football as CU does. Assistant AD's at schools with football often leave to become head AD's at schools without football (SLU). Then, as 2 of our last 3 AD's have done, they then leave to become head AD at schools with football. One of challenges we non-football schools have is to attract and keep good AD without the money, budgets, responsibilityy and allure of football.

It's going to be tough to replace the people skills that Cheryl Levick and enthusiasm brought to the position. I don't think it's an exaggeration to say she's the best AD we ever had.

Depends on context and how old you are. I think Larry Albus is a dead heat with Cheryl -- remember that he brought a Final Four to St. Louis in 1973 while AD at SLU, and he's certainly proved his leadership and business acumen in his subsequent job.

Depends on context and how old you are. I think Larry Albus is a dead heat with Cheryl -- remember that he brought a Final Four to St. Louis in 1973 while AD at SLU, and he's certainly proved his leadership and business acumen in his subsequent job.

Larry Albus was a visionary. He invented the big name doubleheaders which brought together regional powers to play in St. Louis. These doubleheaders were the forerunner to many of todays tournaments. He had UCLA play NorthCarolina State[with David Thompson] in one game and SLU play somebody else in the 2nd game. There were other games like this but I'm too old to remember who played whom.

For you guys who actually were old enough to witness the events firsthand -- to what do you attribute SLU's dramatic decline in the 70s?

Ron Ekker-Father O'Connell & Father Fitzgerald. Very high interest rates which almost broke the university to the point that there was zero money left for athletics. We had practically no endowment money and a bunch of short term debt in a high interest rate enviroment.

For you guys who actually were old enough to witness the events firsthand -- to what do you attribute SLU's dramatic decline in the 70s?

Taj and I were the sports editors of the U. News during that period, which clearly accelerated student apathy. B)

We lost hockey because the Blues ended their subsidy of the program.

Oh, and Father O'Connell didn't believe in athletics, or at least he saw it as a fiscal drain at a time when university finances were deteriorating rapidly.

And the most famous thing our AD, Dick McDonald, did was say, "If we just get a few wins under our belts, I think you'll start to see our record improve."

I tend to think Ekker (who, remember, succeeded the immortal Ron Coleman) was less of a cause than a symptom.

The guy in my avatar was partly to blame. However the administration has to get most of the credit because they hired him.

Taj and I were the sports editors of the U. News during that period, which clearly accelerated student apathy. B)

We lost hockey because the Blues ended their subsidy of the program.

Oh, and Father O'Connell didn't believe in athletics, or at least he saw it as a fiscal drain at a time when university finances were deteriorating rapidly.

And the most famous thing our AD, Dick McDonald, did was say, "If we just get a few wins under our belts, I think you'll start to see our record improve."

I tend to think Ekker (who, remember, succeeded the immortal Ron Coleman) was less of a cause than a symptom.

i wont argue the mindset created by o'connell. however i will adamently defend that ekker was worthless.