Christmas in Vegas

kshoe

Interesting tournament structure. I have to assume we'll get 2 home games out of this.

http://slubillikens.cstv.com/sports/m-bask.../060608aaa.html

The Saint Louis men's basketball team is part of an eight-team field comprising the tournament. Also participating will be Creighton, DePaul, Fresno State, Liberty, Northern Colorado, South Carolina-Upstate and Southern. Each team will play four games, the first two at campus sites on dates to be announced, and the final two games at the Orleans Arena in Las Vegas on Dec. 22 and 23.

Interesting tournament structure. I have to assume we'll get 2 home games out of this.

http://slubillikens.cstv.com/sports/m-bask.../060608aaa.html

The Saint Louis men's basketball team is part of an eight-team field comprising the tournament. Also participating will be Creighton, DePaul, Fresno State, Liberty, Northern Colorado, South Carolina-Upstate and Southern. Each team will play four games, the first two at campus sites on dates to be announced, and the final two games at the Orleans Arena in Las Vegas on Dec. 22 and 23.

Looks like a good tournament to be in considering that we will be a very young team. Some good teams in there but nobody overpowering. I really like it. Could give the freshmen a lot of confidence if all goes well.

At the golf tournament, RM said that we'll be playing Creighton and DePaul in Vegas. I'll be there. That should be too much fun.

going to have to figure out a way to do this one, the bills in vegas, good stuff

going to have to figure out a way to do this one, the bills in vegas, good stuff

Take Christmas week off. Fly out to Vegas on Friday the 20th. Enjoy the weekend. Watch the games on Monday and Tuesday. Get a flight back on Christmas Eve.

I had a friend bet a sizeable amoutn of money on the over under for the Cards total wins this year at 76.5 We'll pass that easily so I HAVE to go to Vegas to cash it in.

Guest BillikenReport

I had a friend bet a sizeable amoutn of money on the over under for the Cards total wins this year at 76.5 We'll pass that easily so I HAVE to go to Vegas to cash it in.

BREAKING NEWS ALERT

Kshoe has just jinxed the Cardinals for the remainder of the season.

This looks like a mid-major (even though DePaul is the strongest team in the Big East [they're at the bottom holding all of them up]) version of the Guardians Classic. Does it mean the home teams need to win the first two games to advance to Las Vegas? It would be interesting if all eight teams play four games, because it would mean four games each day Las Vegas and some poor team may go 0-4.

Is this tourney going to be on TV?

I am really surprised that the Athletic Department has not tried to put together a travel package and notified season ticket holders yet.

The tourney just got announced yesterday. Kind of hard to put together travel packages and the lot prior to the announcement.

That being said, SLU fans don't exactly travel well to these type of things so I don't expect the AD to go reserving 300 hotel rooms or anything like that.

The tourney just got announced yesterday. Kind of hard to put together travel packages and the lot prior to the announcement.

That being said, SLU fans don't exactly travel well to these type of things so I don't expect the AD to go reserving 300 hotel rooms or anything like that.

Yeah Chicago Billiken what the hell is your problem? You'd think that large melon coulda' figured that out.

Is there a TV deal for this tournament?

Sorry. I read above that Majerus had announced it at the golf outing. It led me to believe that this had been in the work for some time. It seems to me that you would want to announce the tourney and then announce a travel package at the same time.

At the golf tournament, RM said that we'll be playing Creighton and DePaul in Vegas. I'll be there. That should be too much fun.

Unless this is a truly unique structure RM probably mis-spoke if he said we are definitely playing Creighton and Depaul. In all likelihood the final four of the tourney will be Fresno, Depaul, Creighton and us as I'd guess we are the host schools for the first two rounds. Even if Creighton or Depaul are paired on our side of the bracket there's only a 50% chance we'd play the other one in the finals or 3rd place game.

Creighton should be real tough this year. P'Allen Stinnett is a stud.

If we end up beating Creighton.........We could endup having a team much better than I think we will be. The Bluejajays should end up being very good this coming season. I think Dana has a team that has a chance to go deep in the NCAA this year. This coming year's CU team should be really good.

Unless this is a truly unique structure RM probably mis-spoke if he said we are definitely playing Creighton and Depaul. In all likelihood the final four of the tourney will be Fresno, Depaul, Creighton and us as I'd guess we are the host schools for the first two rounds. Even if Creighton or Depaul are paired on our side of the bracket there's only a 50% chance we'd play the other one in the finals or 3rd place game.

I heard Creighton and DePaul. However, perhaps I hear something like a tournament with Creighton and DePaul. Not necessarily that we'll be playing both of them. Either way, we're playing two games in Vegas and that should be a blast.

As I've thought more about this tourney, it has become obvious that I was incorrect to compare it to the Guardians Classic. That's a 16-team tournament. This one has just eight teams. If they're playing four games, for eight teams, it must be a round-robin format, with two pools of four teams, each team playing one game against each of the other three teams in its pool, and then there would be four classification games on the last day, with the first-place teams of each pool playing for the championship, the second-place teams of each pool playing for third place, etc. There couldn't be four host schools for the first two "rounds." There would be only two host schools. Saint Louis might not be a host school. My guess is that Creighton and DePaul are hosts. Perhaps DePaul and SLU will be the favorites in Chicago, while Creighton and Fresno would be the two favorites at Creighton. The "favorites" would play the lower-tier schools on campus and then play each other in Las Vegas. This way SLU wouldn't have a tough true road game in the tourney.

We'll see how it works out.

As I've thought more about this tourney, it has become obvious that I was incorrect to compare it to the Guardians Classic. That's a 16-team tournament. This one has just eight teams. If they're playing four games, for eight teams, it must be a round-robin format, with two pools of four teams, each team playing one game against each of the other three teams in its pool, and then there would be four classification games on the last day, with the first-place teams of each pool playing for the championship, the second-place teams of each pool playing for third place, etc. There couldn't be four host schools for the first two "rounds." There would be only two host schools. Saint Louis might not be a host school. My guess is that Creighton and DePaul are hosts. Perhaps DePaul and SLU will be the favorites in Chicago, while Creighton and Fresno would be the two favorites at Creighton. The "favorites" would play the lower-tier schools on campus and then play each other in Las Vegas. This way SLU wouldn't have a tough true road game in the tourney.

We'll see how it works out.

Thicks, I wouldn't be too quick to dimiss the Guardians Classic format. It COULD be largely the same with the only difference being that instead of SLU, Creighton, Depaul and Fresno each hosting 3 other teams we each have games against 2 of the other 4. For instance SLU and Depaul could play both Libery and Southern over the course of a week and Fresno and Creighton could host both South Carolina - Upstate and Northern Colorado. If one of the road teams actually won a game they would take the spot of that team in the 4 team semi-finals.

I seriously doubt this tourney or the 4 main teams in it would want a strucutre where any of the four have to go on the road prior to Vegas which would then mean one of the lower four are hosting a game. I suspect the lower four are being paid handsomely for participation in this with virtually no expectation of being in Vegas in December.

Semo played in a same type of 'tournament' last year - here is the way these usually get setup:

(Just an example, I don't know what the actual matchups at home will be)

SLU will play 2 smaller schools at home: SC Upstate & Southern

DePaul will also play 2 smaller schools at home: Liberty & No Colorado

Fresno the same: Southern & No Colorado

Creighton also the same: Liberty & SC Upstate

2 home games for the big 4, 2 road games for the little 4. The matchups in Vegas are predetermined, no matter what happens in the earlier games at home. The organizers of these tournaments could not get many bigger schools if they think might have to play 3-4 small schools, hence they guarantee the Vegas matchups.

The bigger schools get 2 home games on the schedule, and 2 good games at neutral sites. The smaller schools get to play 2 bigger schools (helps with their scheduling) and also get to play 2 other smaller schools at a neutral site.

This might not be the case, but it is how the same type of tournament that Semo was in last season was done.

Semo played in a same type of 'tournament' last year - here is the way these usually get setup:

(Just an example, I don't know what the actual matchups at home will be)

SLU will play 2 smaller schools at home: SC Upstate & Southern

DePaul will also play 2 smaller schools at home: Liberty & No Colorado

Fresno the same: Southern & No Colorado

Creighton also the same: Liberty & SC Upstate

2 home games for the big 4, 2 road games for the little 4. The matchups in Vegas are predetermined, no matter what happens in the earlier games at home. The organizers of these tournaments could not get many bigger schools if they think might have to play 3-4 small schools, hence they guarantee the Vegas matchups.

The bigger schools get 2 home games on the schedule, and 2 good games at neutral sites. The smaller schools get to play 2 bigger schools (helps with their scheduling) and also get to play 2 other smaller schools at a neutral site.

This might not be the case, but it is how the same type of tournament that Semo was in last season was done.

Thanks for that info. It makes some sense and thus it very well could be the case that we are guaranteed to play Creighton and Depaul in Vegas. Personally, I'd like to see both of those schools on the schedule as a home and home but we'll start with this and see how it goes.

Didn't want to start a new thead here but since this is thread is already about an exempt tourney for next year I will just add a little news here.

The Saluki's are playing in the Coaches Vs. Cancer tourney in MSG (if they make it past their 2 home games). 3 other host schools are Duke, UCLA, and Michigan.

Will I be taking a trip to Vegas and NYC this fall?

Didn't want to start a new thead here but since this is thread is already about an exempt tourney for next year I will just add a little news here.

The Saluki's are playing in the Coaches Vs. Cancer tourney in MSG (if they make it past their 2 home games). 3 other host schools are Duke, UCLA, and Michigan.

Will I be taking a trip to Vegas and NYC this fall?

SIU-C, Duke, UCLA and Michigan

One of these things is not like the other....

One of these things just doesn't belong...

Take Christmas week off. Fly out to Vegas on Friday the 20th. Enjoy the weekend. Watch the games on Monday and Tuesday. Get a flight back on Christmas Eve.

Whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy???????