Chaifetz - New Seats

I'll be picking this evening.

Iggy, can you give us a range that your rank falls into, e.g., 200-230, if you are picking tonight. This will give us lower in the process a feel for how many will have gone before us.

Thanks in advance.

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That makes sense. I didn't really remember that part, but then again I am not able to shell out $2,500 or $3,500 a seat.

I actually was the person who was instrumental in the development of this rule. When Cheryl and Mark were trying to come up with a system it became clear to me that I was going to be limited to no more than 8 tickets, down from 20. So I asked if they thought the Blue seats woud be oversubscribed and they were not sure how that would play out so I suggested that people be allowed to purchase up to 4 blue seats in addition to the 8 tickets so they would be incentivized to buy blue seats if they wanted more than 8. they implemented my suggestion and It worked with me and probably others although it seemed to me when I was down there that they had a row or two more of blue seats than they did at Scotttrade. I assume they will have those available throughout the selection process so even if people are down the list if they want seats up close and they will pay the freight then they can get excellent tickets! In terms of revenue generation this is a great system.

I actually was the person who was instrumental in the development of this rule. When Cheryl and Mark were trying to come up with a system it became clear to me that I was going to be limited to no more than 8 tickets, down from 20. So I asked if they thought the Blue seats woud be oversubscribed and they were not sure how that would play out so I suggested that people be allowed to purchase up to 4 blue seats in addition to the 8 tickets so they would be incentivized to buy blue seats if they wanted more than 8. they implemented my suggestion and It worked with me and probably others although it seemed to me when I was down there that they had a row or two more of blue seats than they did at Scotttrade. I assume they will have those available throughout the selection process so even if people are down the list if they want seats up close and they will pay the freight then they can get excellent tickets! In terms of revenue generation this is a great system.

For people that are willing to drop that kind of cash some kind of accommodation should be made. You are going to be dropping almost $19,000 a year on the program.

To get the equivalent of what I've had in the past, I would have had to purchase gold. However, I could get 2 green seats for the price of one gold, so that's what I did - 1st row behind the gold seats in 117 - close to the action, but in a corner, with the seats turned properly to the court. There were still a lot of excellent gold, red, and green seats available. For example, 1st row red, center court were still available on both sides. Got there early, and had free snacks - pretty good, and a free Schlafly beer. They had basketballs on the court and you could shoot if you wanted to. I hit from the new 3 line, the old 3 line (now used by the ladies) and a bunch of fts. Lots of fun for me. Scott Highmark was shooting at the same time. There was a slight time lag, but it's well organized. I think the vast majority of ticket buyers will be happy with the choices available. Caveat: while the letter says use the NW entrance, they don't mean the one where you will enter for the games; they mean the double secret one off the parking lot level.

Major. Congrats on the seats. You followed the rules and deserve the seats.

IMO, though, Section 117 really should have been set aside for Red seats. Maybe my mind is not twisted enough to be able to work in an athletic department, but I cannot fathom why Gold seats should be followed by Green (skipping the middle tier of Red). As originally drawn, the Reds were to be in the corners. Then, when SLU "over-sold" the Gold, it appeared that they added Gold seats in the corners while taking away the Red, but in doing so, they did not take away from the Green. Also, by not making a few rows of Gold/Red behind the baskets is also a dumb move that will cost SLU much need money. Now, as per posts earlier in this thread, SLU has set aside more seats in the corners for recruits, player families and visiting teams. My hope is that SLU really does sell out the Gold - that those who reserved Gold follow thru with their purchases of Gold - the point of my starting this thread.

Personally, I chose Red because $400 per seat is too expensive for me. I shake my head, though, because I do not believe there will be any 100 level Red seats when I choose at #807. I would much prefer a 100 level Green seat than a 200 level Red seat - regardless of price. If SLU wanted to maximize revenue, they could have (and probably should have) made most - if not all - 100 level seats either Gold or Red with Green seats being the the 200 level. Some exceptions, though, to my rule because the first few rows of 200 level Red are really good seats in the middle of the Court while some of the true upper-corner 100-level seats are inferior but still - Mark Wright and company greatly screwed up in drawing the lines and establishing the prices. That is why I shake my head and question who would pay $150 per seat for the privilege of sitting in the last row of the stadium? Most likely, I will choose 100 level Green seats and save the $150 per seat because SLU made poor decisions as to which seats would be in greater demand.

Correct me if I am wrong. If you buy a red seat and pay an extra 150.00 that money goes toward billiken club giving you additional points for the future seat selection after the first three years. If you paid for the red you may end up getting to pick ahead of those that took the green seats because your points increase faster.

Correct me if I am wrong. If you buy a red seat and pay an extra 150.00 that money goes toward billiken club giving you additional points for the future seat selection after the first three years. If you paid for the red you may end up getting to pick ahead of those that took the green seats because your points increase faster.

Anything you pay over the cost of the tickets is credited to your account for future points.

Also, don't the tickets with the extra charge get some sort of preferance whem it comes time to purchase post season tickets?

-i picked yesterday and thought the entire process was very, very well handled by the U - i was impressed

-i was told there are no selection dates next week, so if you pick on june 16 you are picking the day after those picking june 6

-i met chris may, briefly, seemed to be a good guy

-not to look too far ahead, but the next round of bitching about seats will be in 3 years when they can rearrange!!!!

-there was a guy there who seemed to be getting upset as he said he did not know bclub points were the determinant for selection ranking

-now this guy was clearly in the top 200 based on his selection time and he was getting mad because he could not get his same seats

-i thought it was sad and funny at the same time about this guy

-you know, if you don't like it, you don't have to buy the tickets, just walk away, like i think this guy did

He is correct because it does not SAY it anywhere in all the literature etc. sent out, it just says "priority" which does not mean that all Billiken Club members leap over everyone else even with less points. Of course, all the Billiken Club members know that, because they hear it 1,000 times when the go to the Billliken Club get togethers.

-clock, i agree with your line of thinking as far as there being some seats that should have the psl or whatever we call it attached to them

-some of the seats in the end zone opposite band/students imo are fantastic and you would be 20ft from the court and have no psl

-but i also think those seats in 3yrs will have a psl attached to them as will other seats

-billikan, if you were involved in having the selection process go like it did, good work, but where the did #8 come from???

-it is a true twister here, if the team sucks the U wil not be able to raise prices and many it seems on this board will be able to continue in their seats, but if the team goes 4 yrs in a row to the ncaa and a couple of those are deep runs, the price of admission goes way up and many on this board are priced out or away from their current or old seat location and i don't see how we can have it both ways

-clock, i agree with your line of thinking as far as there being some seats that should have the psl or whatever we call it attached to them

-some of the seats in the end zone opposite band/students imo are fantastic and you would be 20ft from the court and have no psl

-but i also think those seats in 3yrs will have a psl attached to them as will other seats

-billikan, if you were involved in having the selection process go like it did, good work, but where the did #8 come from???

-it is a true twister here, if the team sucks the U wil not be able to raise prices and many it seems on this board will be able to continue in their seats, but if the team goes 4 yrs in a row to the ncaa and a couple of those are deep runs, the price of admission goes way up and many on this board are priced out or away from their current or old seat location and i don't see how we can have it both ways

Cowboy and Kelsey. I really don't see SLU putting themselves thru this again in 3 years. In fact, I'd be shocked if they reshuffle within at least 10 years. Believe the literature says that SLU reserves the right to shuffle the seats in/every 3 years. With on-going annual fees to many of the seats, I don't see the need to reshuffle to raise revenue. For the most part, SLU will normal turnover to provide good seats to big donors. 20 years from now, that's another story...

He is correct because it does not SAY it anywhere in all the literature etc. sent out, it just says "priority" which does not mean that all Billiken Club members leap over everyone else even with less points. Of course, all the Billiken Club members know that, because they hear it 1,000 times when the go to the Billliken Club get togethers.

perhaps i am not getting your point....

if you rememer the brochure that came out about 1 year ago...CL's cover letter is dated June 2007 - from "Inside Chaifetz Arena Seating" - Chaifetz Arena Seating Transition Policies - point #5 - "All seats in the Arena will be selected by donors/season ticket holders in the summer of 2008 according to their individual ranking in the Billiken Club Priority Points System as of April 4, 2008.

same brochure - top of first 3 pages (as i have them now) describing the seat "colors"- "All seat selections in Chaifetz Arena will be based upon the Billken Club Priority Points System..."

same brochure - there is a page tabbed "Priority Points System The Billken Club" subtitled "The Billiken Club Priority Points System"

not sure how much more clear it could have been

Like so many things in life it was a compromise. Some at the university wanted 6, other long time holders with large groups wanted 12 or more. Finally, the 8 plus 4 in the blue section was the compromise. In terms of revenue to pay for the arena I think this plan really works. But with all the money people are paying, myself included, I think the pressure on the staff to produce some big wins and multiple trips to the big dance will increase exponentially!

-not that i care, but i can imagine some gripes about it, but where will the media sit?

-TT, Nate, someone??

-i understand there will be room for some at the score's table, but at scottrade there was the overflow table in front of the students and we should, eventually, get more coverage

perhaps i am not getting your point....

if you rememer the brochure that came out about 1 year ago...CL's cover letter is dated June 2007 - from "Inside Chaifetz Arena Seating" - Chaifetz Arena Seating Transition Policies - point #5 - "All seats in the Arena will be selected by donors/season ticket holders in the summer of 2008 according to their individual ranking in the Billiken Club Priority Points System as of April 4, 2008.

same brochure - top of first 3 pages (as i have them now) describing the seat "colors"- "All seat selections in Chaifetz Arena will be based upon the Billken Club Priority Points System..."

same brochure - there is a page tabbed "Priority Points System The Billken Club" subtitled "The Billiken Club Priority Points System"

not sure how much more clear it could have been

I read the same stuff. But it does not say that they leap over people with more points, does it? With all the crappola they sent out, they did not make it clear to non Billiken Club Members.

I read the same stuff. But it does not say that they leap over people with more points, does it? With all the crappola they sent out, they did not make it clear to non Billiken Club Members.

mb - wasn't it said one must join the bclub to get in the priority line?

-wouldn't one have to join the bclub to have points and therefore a ranking?

-so i am not sure who is leaping in your scenario

My wife and I picked our seats out on Wednesday and we both thought the process was very well handled from start to finish.

There were a lot of the blue seats left and we considered them, but when you sit that low, we thought that it would be actually harder to really see the whole floor. I know that "floor" seats are always coveted, but after sitting in floor seats for a few different games, I do not see the attraction. We actually argued over being in the middle on the aisle (gold section) but higher up versus being lower and a little to the side, two seats from the other aisle. We settled for about 8 rows up, but a little to the side, mid-way between center court and the free throw line. I am happy with the seats, but hope that I do not regret not being a little higher and right on the center.

I am curious what others think on this as we debated it quite a bit.

I also do not see the attraction of being behind the basket even though I know that a lot of people would not have anything else. I just do not see how you can see the play develop from that position. That said, I agree with the poster who mentioned that SLU should have made some of the seats under the basket gold seats because the are clearly very popular.

The truly wonderful fact about this arena is that there is not a bad seat anywhere. Everything is SO close to the court compared to Scottrade.

Picked tonite just before 8. Process went very smooth and was well organized. SLU handled this one quite well as we didn't feel rushed, had a personal attendant with us and even an extra one to help my mom to the elevator (broken foot) so she wouldn't have to climb steps.

We ended up in the seats we had decided that we wanted to begin with based on the map. (Why no one had taken them is beyond me, as there were seats chosen several rows behind us already.)

Sec 204 row A 7-10.

Picked tonite just before 8. Process went very smooth and was well organized. SLU handled this one quite well as we didn't feel rushed, had a personal attendant with us and even an extra one to help my mom to the elevator (broken foot) so she wouldn't have to climb steps.

We ended up in the seats we had decided that we wanted to begin with based on the map. (Why no one had taken them is beyond me, as there were seats chosen several rows behind us already.)

Sec 204 row A 7-10.

How was it looking when it comes to the red seats down lower across from the benches?

The referees in division I NCAA basketball are celebrating today. I am no longer within shouting range of them. However, I am pretty happy with my seats. I'm half way up in the gold between half court and the free throw line behind the Billiken bench.

The referees in division I NCAA basketball are celebrating today. I am no longer within shouting range of them. However, I am pretty happy with my seats. I'm half way up in the gold between half court and the free throw line behind the Billiken bench.

Gee Iggy we'll miss you.

My wife and I picked our seats out on Wednesday and we both thought the process was very well handled from start to finish.

There were a lot of the blue seats left and we considered them, but when you sit that low, we thought that it would be actually harder to really see the whole floor. I know that "floor" seats are always coveted, but after sitting in floor seats for a few different games, I do not see the attraction. We actually argued over being in the middle on the aisle (gold section) but higher up versus being lower and a little to the side, two seats from the other aisle. We settled for about 8 rows up, but a little to the side, mid-way between center court and the free throw line. I am happy with the seats, but hope that I do not regret not being a little higher and right on the center.

I am curious what others think on this as we debated it quite a bit.

I also do not see the attraction of being behind the basket even though I know that a lot of people would not have anything else. I just do not see how you can see the play develop from that position. That said, I agree with the poster who mentioned that SLU should have made some of the seats under the basket gold seats because the are clearly very popular.

The truly wonderful fact about this arena is that there is not a bad seat anywhere. Everything is SO close to the court compared to Scottrade.

Alumni. When the Bills first moved to Savvis/Scott, our first set of seats (3) were located just as you came in one of the "tunnels" from the main concourse. Next to the handicapped seating area, our seats were actually the first row of seats up from the tunnel/main concourse level. As you may know, these rows are actually 5 seats - nice short rows. Our group started off with 3 seats so we sat next to a nice couple - 2 seats - (with whom we still talk and are friendly) to complete the row of 5. They were courteous and middle-age would spring right up when we needed to get out of our seats. A few years later, we added a 4th seat and needed to moved our seats. We ended up moving 7 rows closer to the floor (which was nice) but we were directly in the middle of one of the long rows. Our choices of getting to the seats if one or more got to the game late was to walk past the 12 people - including the beer drinkers who always had full beers in the cup holders which my young kids would often bump or come real close to bumping - they rarely picked up their cups or offered to - or we had to go bast 6 or so very old people who truly had to muster all of their strength and energies to stand up and allow us to pass. Unlike the beer drinkers - not friendly but younger and in good health - the older/poor health people were extremely nice but physically quite limited. In short, our new seats will be closer to an aisle - I'd rather not be on the aisle - than in the middle of a long row. If young and friendly people are on both sides of you, then no problem. We were not so fortunate at the Scott and soon realized that is why those 4 seats probably became available for us.

As to your other questions in general, I much prefer sitting in a seat at the free throw line extended. At this vantage, the entire floor can be viewed easily so as to watch the action at both ends but with one end having a really good viewpoint. Personally, I would rather have 1 side of the Court be really good than to sit at center Court with both sides being decent. The closer you sit to the floor, though, the lesser this comes into play. Same comments as to behind the basket. I would rather sit on the side of the Court than on the end; however, 200 level Red on the side of the Court (walking up from the main concourse) IMO is a much worse seat than sitting down low on the end. You would have thought Mark Wright knew this or would have asked people but it is obvious he/they didn't.

Just a general comment. Mark Wright's name has been mentioned on this board a number of times, and rarely in a positive manner. Now that the process is nearly complete, I think he's done a very good job in a very difficult situation. Most that have been through the seat selection process comment how well it has gone and they are pleased with their selections.

Mark has taken a tough assignment and carried it out damn well. Most of us have, or will have, seats that we're satisfied with and he's put in place a plan that has raised substantial money for the athletic program.

Where it goes from here is out of his hands. It rests squarely on the performance of the team and our coaching staff.

As an aside, I believe they are very serious about reseating the stadium in a few years. It's the only way to keep people donating.

How was it looking when it comes to the red seats down lower across from the benches?

actually seemed like quite a few, including some in the first rows right next to the band.

Just a general comment. Mark Wright's name has been mentioned on this board a number of times, and rarely in a positive manner. Now that the process is nearly complete, I think he's done a very good job in a very difficult situation. Most that have been through the seat selection process comment how well it has gone and they are pleased with their selections.

Mark has taken a tough assignment and carried it out damn well. Most of us have, or will have, seats that we're satisfied with and he's put in place a plan that has raised substantial money for the athletic program.

Where it goes from here is out of his hands. It rests squarely on the performance of the team and our coaching staff.

As an aside, I believe they are very serious about reseating the stadium in a few years. It's the only way to keep people donating.

I agree with what you have said about MW. He was given a tough job of raising money from our loyal fans so naturally some are not happy that he is reaching into their pockets, but by and large he has done about as good a job as can be expected.

My personal belief on the re-seating is it would be a huge mistake if they try to do it and demand hasn't increased from its current levels (i.e. we have around 6k in season ticket holders and still aren't in the NCAAs). It will piss off many and they will run the risk of losing even more ticket-holders. If we are winning, season tickets are in hot demand, etc. then they should proceed. Those that care enough will increase their giving and those that don't care to increase will have to sit a little further back.

There are some interesting dynamics involved in any re-shuffling which could be a thread on to itself. Someone that has 8 gold seats will annually be donating $2400 more than a person with only 2 gold seats. After 3 years that is 144 additional Billiken Club points and may jump them ahead of a fair amount of people. The same goes for the people in the best green seats. If they don't continue to donate at a reasonable level the folks in the red or gold sections will quickly pass them by.