cotto's high school coach in trouble

Protestors want Alton coach fired

By Terry Hillig

ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH

05/10/2008

ALTON — Demonstrators are calling for the ouster of first-year Alton High School basketball coach Layne Bennett for alleged mistreatment of black players.

About a dozen people marched with signs outside Alton School District headquarters Friday, and they promised to be back in greater numbers Monday.

They claim Bennett, who is white, has verbally and physically abused players and interfered in the relationship between one mother and her son.

"It's a pattern," said attorney Luther Simmons, a spokesman for the group. He said parents, other concerned citizens and community leaders have complained over several months to Principal Phil Trapani, Superintendent David Elson and the School Board, without success.

Simmons alleged that Bennett made standout senior guard Ruben Cotto play in one game against a doctor's orders. Cotto was recruited by St. Louis University and is expected to play for the Billikens in the coming season.

In a written statement distributed Friday, Elson said the allegations had been the focus of "scores of hours of investigation that included parent interviews, student interviews and telephone conversations with community members; there was very little that could be substantiated."

Elson said district officials had responded appropriately.

"We have conducted a complete and thorough investigation," he said. "Based on our findings, no further action is required at this time."

Bennett could not be reached for comment Friday. He succeeded his brother, Lee Bennet. The team was 22-6 last season.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

By Terry Hillig

ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH

05/10/2008

ALTON — Demonstrators are calling for the ouster of first-year Alton High School basketball coach Layne Bennett for alleged mistreatment of black players.

About a dozen people marched with signs outside Alton School District headquarters Friday, and they promised to be back in greater numbers Monday.

They claim Bennett, who is white, has verbally and physically abused players and interfered in the relationship between one mother and her son.

"It's a pattern," said attorney Luther Simmons, a spokesman for the group. He said parents, other concerned citizens and community leaders have complained over several months to Principal Phil Trapani, Superintendent David Elson and the School Board, without success.

Simmons alleged that Bennett made standout senior guard Ruben Cotto play in one game against a doctor's orders. Cotto was recruited by St. Louis University and is expected to play for the Billikens in the coming season.

In a written statement distributed Friday, Elson said the allegations had been the focus of "scores of hours of investigation that included parent interviews, student interviews and telephone conversations with community members; there was very little that could be substantiated."

Elson said district officials had responded appropriately.

"We have conducted a complete and thorough investigation," he said. "Based on our findings, no further action is required at this time."

Bennett could not be reached for comment Friday. He succeeded his brother, Lee Bennet. The team was 22-6 last season.

Is any one else sick of this crap? I don't why a white man in this day and age, would ever agree to coach at a predominantly black school. The only thing you can count on is to be accused of being a rascist. We are raising a generation of children who are being told that any time you don't like something blame it on race. There appears to be very little accountability in the black community anymore. If things don't go your way, then it must be the white man's fault.

Is any one else sick of this crap? I don't why a white man in this day and age, would ever agree to coach at a predominantly black school. The only thing you can count on is to be accused of being a rascist. We are raising a generation of children who are being told that any time you don't like something blame it on race. There appears to be very little accountability in the black community anymore. If things don't go your way, then it must be the white man's fault.

Glad you pointed that out. I consider myself to be an "equal opportunity human", and I think most would agree, except for VTIME, apparently. But quite a while ago I started saying "that's racist" any time something was unfortunate for me, personally. For instance, I might say, "man, these lunch prices are racist." And then someone will say, "hey, those lunch prices aren't racist, you're ignorant." To which I retort: "I don't mean like racist racist. I mean like unfortunate racist." Then they get angrier. I don't get it.

Where in the article did it accuse the coach of being racist? I don't think it did. So to answer your question, why would a "white" person ever agree to coach a at predominantly "black" school? Because that's what coaches(and teachers for that matter) do. Are you suggesting that blacks only coach blacks and whites only coach whites? As far as your sweeping statement about little accountability in the black community, would you care to paint that picture with a wider brush?

Is this 1950's Alabama around here? I expect this crap from Jimbo and others, they have the track record and racist history. I guess we can lump you in there now. Unbelievable. This board is starting to get a reputation. I hope the "non white" recruits don't read this board.

Where in the article did it accuse the coach of being racist?

The very first sentence talked about him allegedly mistreating only black players. Most readers would infer the allegation from that.

It said he verbally and physically abused players. It mentions nothing about race. It's funny that the ones on here who are bitching aboout bringing race into everything are BRINGING RACE INTO THIS when it's not the issue. If this was about race, why wouldn't the spokeman for the group say so? What would prevent him from making it an issue?

Where in the article did it accuse the coach of being racist? I don't think it did. So to answer your question, why would a "white" person ever agree to coach a at predominantly "black" school? Because that's what coaches(and teachers for that matter) do. Are you suggesting that blacks only coach blacks and whites only coach whites? As far as your sweeping statement about little accountability in the black community, would you care to paint that picture with a wider brush?

Is this 1950's Alabama around here? I expect this crap from Jimbo and others, they have the track record and racist history. I guess we can lump you in there now. Unbelievable. This board is starting to get a reputation. I hope the "non white" recruits don't read this board.

"...for alleged mistreatment of black players... Bennett, who is white..."

Yawn. 4 out of 5 black men in America agree that I'm 20% racist. What's that make me? 16% racist in the eyes of 48% of 12% of the US. I'll take that and round down. If you don't get my humor, that's fine. If you don't appreciate it, that's even better. I'll not have you sully this site's name (nor my own) with the accusation that we/I promote(s) "misfortune(ism)". :lol:

It said he verbally and physically abused players. It mentions nothing about race. It's funny that the ones on here who are bitching aboout bringing race into everything are BRINGING RACE INTO THIS when it's not the issue. If this was about race, why wouldn't the spokeman for the group say so? What would prevent him from making it an issue?

I know you enjoy flaiming and all, but how can you say the issue wasn't about race when clearly the article made it sound as if its all about race.

If race truly had nothing to do with the complaint then shame on the Post Dispatch because that article CLEARLY made it sound like a racial problem.

I know you enjoy flaiming and all, but how can you say the issue wasn't about race when clearly the article made it sound as if its all about race.

If race truly had nothing to do with the complaint then shame on the Post Dispatch because that article CLEARLY made it sound like a racial problem.

Kshoe,

Despite what you think about me, I actually think you're one of the best posters on here. If you think it's about race then I'll reconsider. But this statement makes me believe this is just an issue with a coach being an ahole(like Bob Knight for instance) as opposed to a racist(say Adolph Rupp)

Would the coach do something like that because he is racist or because he really, REALLY wants to win. I think maybe he's just a hard driving coach who may come off to some people as a prick. That's the read I'm getting on this.

I agree that maybe the problem is the Post in this case.

It's all about race. Read the article!!!

"Bennett who is white" "mistreatment of black players " The article also points out that the claims were not substantiated, but that doesn't seem to matter.

if bennett was a jerk, he hid is well during games. i saw alton a lot this past season. all i saw was a pretty good coach that obviously coached his team up (besides cotto, imo the talent was not very good on the alton team and they still finished with an outstanding record). i dont recall him berating officials, players or ranting on the sidelines. he just seemed to coach and win (of course he did have the benefit of the best player on at least the east side of the river).

of course i guess in practice bennett could have turned into mr hyde. i never saw the redbirds practice. i sat with a sportswriter at one game and asked him about bennett and he too said bennett always treated him well covering the team and believed him to be a good coach.

last for reference sakes, the team was not all african-american. in fact, i believe if my memory is correct the majority of the players were not african-american.

if bennett was a jerk, he hid is well during games. i saw alton a lot this past season. all i saw was a pretty good coach that obviously coached his team up (besides cotto, imo the talent was not very good on the alton team and they still finished with an outstanding record). i dont recall him berating officials, players or ranting on the sidelines. he just seemed to coach and win (of course he did have the benefit of the best player on at least the east side of the river).

of course i guess in practice bennett could have turned into mr hyde. i never saw the redbirds practice. i sat with a sportswriter at one game and asked him about bennett and he too said bennett always treated him well covering the team and believed him to be a good coach.

last for reference sakes, the team was not all african-american. in fact, i believe if my memory is correct the majority of the players were not african-american.

I've written the reporter to ask if he can clarify the point of view of the demonstators. They may well alledge that he is being racist but that isn't what I got from the article. If i'm wrong I'll be the first to admit it.

None of that really changes some of the things that Big Bill Fan mentioned though.

I don't why a white man in this day and age, would ever agree to coach at a predominantly black school. The only thing you can count on is to be accused of being a rascist.

There appears to be very little accountability in the black community anymore. If things don't go your way, then it must be the white man's fault.

Do people on this board really agree with these blanket statements that he is making here? I know some on this board have have forced others to leave because of offensive language(I believe it was the N word). Unfortunately, not many on here question people who make such absurb statements so my take is that you must agree with him. I hope I'm wrong.

Do people on this board really agree with these blanket statements that he is making here? I know some on this board have have forced others to leave because of offensive language(I believe it was the N word). Unfortunately, not many on here question people who make such absurb statements so my take is that you must agree with him. I hope I'm wrong.

Postcard, I think you are going to find that most people don't want to comment it on it at all, even if they don't completely agree with what BBF said. There is always going to be someone that will jump out and say what you have said is racist. That is why we will never have a true conversation about race in this country.

Just look at what you posted. Just because people haven't challenged what he said doesn't mean they completely agree with what he said, yet you are just going to assume that is what people think. Most people just decide to avoid the topic completely.

I've written the reporter to ask if he can clarify the point of view of the demonstators. They may well alledge that he is being racist but that isn't what I got from the article. If i'm wrong I'll be the first to admit it.

None of that really changes some of the things that Big Bill Fan mentioned though.

They well may allege that he is a rascist??? Give me a break, you know as well as I that they have already made it a racial matter. If they were not making it a racial issue then the race of the students and the coach would not have been mentioned.

By Terry Hillig

ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH

05/10/2008

I am not getting involved in this dispute one way or another. But to claim these allegations are not based on race is a misreading of the article

This years Varsity team was 2 white, 1 Puerto Rican and the rest African American.

I don't why a white man in this day and age, would ever agree to coach at a predominantly black school. The only thing you can count on is to be accused of being a rascist.

There appears to be very little accountability in the black community anymore. If things don't go your way, then it must be the white man's fault.

I don't necessarily agree with the sentiments quoted above, in terms of the impossibility of non-blacks making a difference at predominantly African-American schools. In fact, there are not enough black professionals- not even remotely close- available for such a state to exist. I think non-blacks can make a difference and fault is not always laid at the feet of the dominant (white) culture in our society.

That being said, the black community, while not monolithic, is far more homogeneous than nearly any racial group- generally poor, single-parented, undereducated, and massively unprepared for a first world economy.

It's actually morbidly interesting that African-Americans, who have been residents of this country if not citizens, for far, far longer than most of us, have now been utterly eclipsed by Hispanics as the most influential (numerically) minority, without ever having collectively consolidated the gains expected after the 1960s.

They well may allege that he is a rascist??? Give me a break, you know as well as I that they have already made it a racial matter. If they were not making it a racial issue then the race of the students and the coach would not have been mentioned.

I am staying out of the political debate (I go to The Economist site for high brow debate) but Postcard, I have to agree with everyone else but you, the article clearly alleges racism. You're misreading it.

Postcard, I think you are going to find that most people don't want to comment it on it at all, even if they don't completely agree with what BBF said. There is always going to be someone that will jump out and say what you have said is racist. That is why we will never have a true conversation about race in this country.

Just look at what you posted. Just because people haven't challenged what he said doesn't mean they completely agree with what he said, yet you are just going to assume that is what people think. Most people just decide to avoid the topic completely.

Postcard, shame on me for stating what most know but won't acknowledge. The sad fact is that race relations in this country are worse than at any time in my life. Unfortunately in today's society, one's color is more important than their deeds. Do we have to look any further than the Floyd Irons debacle. Here is an admitted cheat and fraud, yet he is still viewed as a hero by a large number of African Americans. Why is this? Is it because of his color?

I don't pretend to know about the inner happening at Alton High School. I do know that an internal investigation was done and that these claims of abuse ( at lest at this point ) have not been substantiated. Tell me Postcard, does this man have any rights? Shame on those who want to rush to judgement based on a man's color, and shame on those of you who continue to be silent on issues that you know are wrong.

Is Alton mostly African American? I don't live that way, but it would suprise me a little if that were true.

I should add, if there is nothing to this story and I'm Layne Bennett (who the article usefully tells me is white - but the article wasn't about race, eh) I would be sending out the resume and touting a nice record. Why deal with all that crap...

I also can't see how anyone can be white and be a racist and be involved in basketball (or really any sport in America but especially basketball). Most basketball players are black - if you're racist, why coach, watch or cheer for those you hate? It doesn't make sense. Maybe I'm naive...

I did this once before but I'll do it again ----

Racism (ra'-siz'em) n. --- 1. a doctine or teaching, without scientific support, that claims to find racial differences in character, intelligence, etc., that asserts the superiority of one race over another or others, and that seeks to maintain the supposed purity of a race or the races. 2. any program or practice of racial discrimination, seggregation, etc. based on such beliefs --- rac'-ist n., adj.

I don't think its a racism issue. The problem here is as described by one of the previous posters, that the actual meaning of the term is not fully understood and that shortcuts are taken to mentally get ones arms around the issue. It like Xerox ----- how many of us have said "go Xerox that." Xerox is a company, a noun, not a verb. But their early dominance of the copying industry made the term "xerox" come to mean "copy." The story makes an obvious point ----- black against white. Therefore, the simple-mind mentally translates that into race, which them becomes racial and racist and all the other shortcut meanings.

The issue then gets amplified. Whatever works becomes the motto. I would say that apparently, some parents with players on the Alton High School team don't want Bennett as the coach for their kids and are pushing whatever it is to make that goal become real. Lots of parents have been saying "play my kid" for years now. So many wrongly believe they will then be able to hit the lottery because their kid is surely the next Jordan. They are not going to let some little snot of a high school coach derail their about-to-be-realized dreams of riches. Run him out of town, yessiree. I think that also leads to the manifestation of various AAU programs and these high school diploma mills. We'll get a like guy to coach all the like kids from all the like parents on one team so our like goals are realized. That leads to misplaced emphasis to the detraction of all other avenues and then, when they ain't the next Jordan or whatever, they are the next Nick Kern or Antonio Bobo or Ted Mimlitz or Troy Slaten.

What I find interesting is how quick certain groups and certain players play the "race card" as their trump card. I'd offer that most of thsoe accused will immediately back down with fear when faced with that card on the table. A slap on the rump becomes fondling. Isiah and Magic kiss and all of a sudden, they are gay. A coach screams at a player in practice and because that player is black or Hispanic, he's a racist. I think there is certainly a lot of racism out there. I think that the constant use of the race card is starting to desensitive the general public to it. It goes along the lines of those that believe violence in movies and television begets violence in real life.

The larger ideal here is probably someone somewhere is going to claim this small group of adults is truly, truly concerned for the welfare of kids obviously under some sadistic Phil jackson wannabee when in reality, the truth is much further away and something as simple as the next Kevin Slaten is alive and living well somewhere in the Alton school district.

Taj, good points. The next black coach will definitely be able to get his players 40 minutes a game, while the other team only gets 32. Maybe he does treat the black players differently. Maybe it's their behavior/play and not his. Maybe it's all crap. All I know is that sports was one of the first vehicles for integration, and if blacks/whites/oranges/etc. can't play together, they sure as hell can't work together. Al Davis had it right. Just win, baby. If the black kids can't shoot, bench them. If the white kids run 5.5 40s, bench them. If you're a parent, shut up, sit down, and yell from the stands. You're probably just embarrassing your kid who just wants to win. God, why can't everyone just blow their ACLs and get carried around the bases by a couple of non-denominational, neutered mulattos???