Seat Selection Notification

I heard earlier this week but just never got around to posting it that the new Billiken Club rankings will be mailed out the first week of May and that we will find out what day we are assigned for picking seats then.

I was told by Mark Wright last week that a number of season ticket holders, who had not been Billiken Club members, have now joined the Club and established themselves in the point system. I was #43 at the last mailing, but I expect to drop a number of spots, based on Mark's comments. He indicated that the new rankings will be out the end of April, beginning of May.

He indicated that the funds coming into the Club the last couple of weeks of March and early April were SUBSTANTIALLY higher than any previous comparable period.

Good luck everyone, I'm expecting a drop of 50 spots, or more, based on Mark's comments.

I was told by Mark Wright last week that a number of season ticket holders, who had not been Billiken Club members, have now joined the Club and established themselves in the point system. I was #43 at the last mailing, but I expect to drop a number of spots, based on Mark's comments. He indicated that the new rankings will be out the end of April, beginning of May.

He indicated that the funds coming into the Club the last couple of weeks of March and early April were SUBSTANTIALLY higher than any previous comparable period.

Good luck everyone, I'm expecting a drop of 50 spots, or more, based on Mark's comments.

Good for the Billiken Club and the athletics department; bad for me and most of my colleagues on this board. :rolleyes:

If you are ranked 43rd that means you have donated a LOT of money over the years. I seriously doubt long-term season ticket holders that never donated before are donating that much jack at this one point in time to knock you down 50 spots. No way.

If you are ranked 43rd that means you have donated a LOT of money over the years. I seriously doubt long-term season ticket holders that never donated before are donating that much jack at this one point in time to knock you down 50 spots. No way.

It's not that they are donating so many dollars, but by donating at least $300 to become a Club member, they move up to where they would be based on their points. Prior to the donation, they were behind ALL Club members.

I've given some money since I've graduated. It adds up. I only wish the advertising my company did with the Athletic Department counted as points for me, then I wouldn't have to worry about getting the "perfect" seats I've located!!!!

It's not that they are donating so many dollars, but by donating at least $300 to become a Club member, they move up to where they would be based on their points. Prior to the donation, they were behind ALL Club members.

I've given some money since I've graduated. It adds up. I only wish the advertising my company did with the Athletic Department counted as points for me, then I wouldn't have to worry about getting the "perfect" seats I've located!!!!

But you being 43rd means you've been a long time season ticket holder and have donated money. I know people in the 70s and 80s ranking that have donated a lot of money and have been going for 30+ years. Just cause some guy that has been going for 30+ years now decides to donate the minimum I have no reason to believe he'll leap frog above anybody ranked in the top 100.

Now I could be wrong on this, but when the last rankings were sent out, the ranking was inclusive off all people, both BC and non BC members that had season ticket accounts. The rankings gave your total points irregardless of BC membership but it was made clear that if you weren't a BC member and were ranked 75th you would pick behind every single BC member.

That means you ranked 43rd at WORST. Its hard to imagine anyone in the top 40 isn't already donating but if he wasn't and decided not to become a BC member you could actually move up.

Bottom line, I doubt you'll move to worse than 50 something, and that would only be if some of the people ranked 50-100 made very large arena donations...

But you being 43rd means you've been a long time season ticket holder and have donated money. I know people in the 70s and 80s ranking that have donated a lot of money and have been going for 30+ years. Just cause some guy that has been going for 30+ years now decides to donate the minimum I have no reason to believe he'll leap frog above anybody ranked in the top 100.

Now I could be wrong on this, but when the last rankings were sent out, the ranking was inclusive off all people, both BC and non BC members that had season ticket accounts. The rankings gave your total points irregardless of BC membership but it was made clear that if you weren't a BC member and were ranked 75th you would pick behind every single BC member.

That means you ranked 43rd at WORST. Its hard to imagine anyone in the top 40 isn't already donating but if he wasn't and decided not to become a BC member you could actually move up.

Bottom line, I doubt you'll move to worse than 50 something, and that would only be if some of the people ranked 50-100 made very large arena donations...

I sure hope you're right, but for the time being I'll be a "half empty guy" and believe Mark Wright. That way I can only be pleasantly surprised.

As much as I wish that were true, the last rankings, mailed on 8/6/07, were based on giving Billiken Club donors priority over non-Billiken Club donors. So, if some of the non-Billiken Club donors have now donated, as encouraged to do so, then they will again move ahead in the next rankings. I jumped something like 300 places between 06 and 07. I fully expect to fall significantly in the rankings when the next ranking comes out.

As much as I wish that were true, the last rankings, mailed on 8/6/07, were based on giving Billiken Club donors priority over non-Billiken Club donors. So, if some of the non-Billiken Club donors have now donated, as encouraged to do so, then they will again move ahead in the next rankings. I jumped something like 300 places between 06 and 07. I fully expect to fall significantly in the rankings when the next ranking comes out.

You are correct. I just re-read the letter they sent back in August and in the language it does say it gives priority to BC donors.

That being said, I just don't see how someone ranked 43rd could expect any significant decrease. The only way that works is if there are a lot of long term ticket holders that gave a fair amount of money some point in the past, dropped the BC membership and now are getting back in the game. Being a long term season ticket holder and just now joining the BC simply won't be enough to move someone into the top 100, much less the top 50.

You are correct. I just re-read the letter they sent back in August and in the language it does say it gives priority to BC donors.

That being said, I just don't see how someone ranked 43rd could expect any significant decrease. The only way that works is if there are a lot of long term ticket holders that gave a fair amount of money some point in the past, dropped the BC membership and now are getting back in the game. Being a long term season ticket holder and just now joining the BC simply won't be enough to move someone into the top 100, much less the top 50.

Shoe and others. You don't get it. 72 is simply saying that he probably would be around 93 based purely on points/seniority. When SLU decided to give priority to BC members first, 72 benefited in the short term bc he was already a BC member and/or he joined the BC in 2006 (I suspect the prior). The point is that 50 (in 72's opinion) of our best boosters were not even members of the BC. Longtime booster have either finally woken up or, as I suspect, received phone calls informing them of their high numbers unless they pay the $150 and join the BC. For instance, assume the #1 guy based upon points is not a Billiken Club member. His selection would be after some first timer who paid $150. Hence, SLU should have made phone calls, and I hope they did, to the top 400 or so account holders informing them of this.

Giving priority to BC members and adding a mandatory "arena fee" is the result of SLU boosters (me included for several years) who bought tickets and went to games only. It's obvious that they want annual money and not one time and/or PSL money. Playing in 18,000 plus arenas since 1992 or so has not helped matters either - such as making tickets scarce.

i was thinking the same thing.

Shoe and others. You don't get it. 72 is simply saying that he probably would be around 93 based purely on points/seniority. When SLU decided to give priority to BC members first, 72 benefited in the short term bc he was already a BC member and/or he joined the BC in 2006 (I suspect the prior). The point is that 50 (in 72's opinion) of our best boosters were not even members of the BC. Longtime booster have either finally woken up or, as I suspect, received phone calls informing them of their high numbers unless they pay the $150 and join the BC. For instance, assume the #1 guy based upon points is not a Billiken Club member. His selection would be after some first timer who paid $150. Hence, SLU should have made phone calls, and I hope they did, to the top 400 or so account holders informing them of this.

Giving priority to BC members and adding a mandatory "arena fee" is the result of SLU boosters (me included for several years) who bought tickets and went to games only. It's obvious that they want annual money and not one time and/or PSL money. Playing in 18,000 plus arenas since 1992 or so has not helped matters either - such as making tickets scarce.

it is hard to be ranked that high and not have a history of donating and being a billiken club member. i just dont think the point system would allow it. maybe a couple, few, but not 50. that seems bizzare.

Clock, I'm afraid you are the one not getting it. I understand that the people ranked 200-500 may be moved around as long-time season ticket holders only finally join the BC, but there is no way a person ranked in the top 50 could get into the top 50 without already donating. Season tickets alone won't do it. In your example, you talk about the #1 booster. How does that person get to be #1 without already giving to the Billiken Club? It can't be done unless he made a HUGE donation in the past then decided to let his membership expire because he could no longer afford $150 a year.

There is an easy way to answer this. SLU72 what was your ranking prior to last year (i.e. 2 years ago) where the BC membership was not the principal determinant? I'd bet it was somewhere in the same range as where you currently are. I happen to know a bunch of people in the 60-80 range and their ranking has remained fairly consistent no matter what metric they are using.

it is hard to be ranked that high and not have a history of donating and being a billiken club member. i just dont think the point system would allow it. maybe a couple, few, but not 50. that seems bizzare.

Hopefully, 72 will give us his new number and then we'll know. I'm not saying 50 is accurate or not. 50 is simply the number 72 threw out with hopes that no more 50 jump ahead of him. If any jump ahead of him, it would be bc some were not BC members and some gave cash. Curious. If someone gave, for example, $1000 last year to the athletic department without completing a BC application and requesting that $150 (or more) be toward the BC and the balance (or less) go elsewhere, would they count the donor as having been a BC member? If so, then I doubt many will move ahead of 72.

Not sure of the breakdown of who gives, how much is given, etc. but I do understand that many longtime boosters/fans purchase tickets and go to the games as they have for years. If a donor buys 6 or 8 seats (needing only 2 to 4) and giving them out to friends/family, then would they not be earning 3 points per seat instead of 3 points for a BC membership? Believe many donors do this and have done this years. If correct, some of these might be before 72 and some might be after him. In any event, such practice is being discouraged in favor of the new system of much higher ticket prices coupled with mandatory donations/arena fees.

As long as you're in the top 300, you'll get to pick your seats on the first day. Then it's every man/woman for him/herself.

It would take a LOT to bump me up from my 723 ranking last year to the top 300 this year, so I'm resigned to fight off the rest of you guys during the second seat selection session (say that five times fast).

As long as you're in the top 300, you'll get to pick your seats on the first day. Then it's every man/woman for him/herself.

It would take a LOT to bump me up from my 723 ranking last year to the top 300 this year, so I'm resigned to fight off the rest of you guys during the second seat selection session (say that five times fast).

I think its first 2 days for the top 300 but its not every man for himself. #1 will have an appointment time, then #2 will go, on down the line. If one wants to be close to the court or wants the perfect seat it would no doubt be advantageous to be in the top 100 rather than 100-300 range.

The same process will work for 300+. the guy ranked 301 can come in at a certain time. the guy ranked 302 can come in a couple minutes later, etc.

it is my understanding only the top 300 billiken club members (by points) will pick on june 4 and 5th. not sure when the next days are. now that clock and 72 have injected this 50 + in the equation i am sweating as 50+ would throw me out of June 4 and 5th.

I think its first 2 days for the top 300 but its not every man for himself. #1 will have an appointment time, then #2 will go, on down the line. If one wants to be close to the court or wants the perfect seat it would no doubt be advantageous to be in the top 100 rather than 100-300 range.

The same process will work for 300+. the guy ranked 301 can come in at a certain time. the guy ranked 302 can come in a couple minutes later, etc.

-i said this when talking about the dedication ceremony...i hope the ath dept has the seat selection process as organized or better than that day was

-but there will be complaining in any case

it is my understanding only the top 300 billiken club members (by points) will pick on june 4 and 5th. not sure when the next days are. now that clock and 72 have injected this 50 + in the equation i am sweating as 50+ would throw me out of June 4 and 5th.

Does anyone know what the total number of Billiken Club members is, or even a ballpark figure?

All. There is not a doubt in my mind that SLU will botch the seat selection process. For instance, things will no doubt go orderly for 1 thru 300. If this takes 2 days for only 300 accounts and then a week off in between to make sure mistakes are not made, then the rest us will need 3 to 4 weeks to complete our seat selection in the same manner. That simply won't happen.

Instead, they will probably open it up to blocks of 50 to a 100 at a time. Some guys will get there an hour early (would not be surprised if more than that) and be allowed to get their selection in. Also, the guy who is at #499 will get his selection in before the guy at #401 because he walked quicker, filled out his paperwork quicker and got in the line with the less incompetent person instead of the more incompetent person. I am seeing a system designed to make the lower number people happier but see nothing for the rest of us.

Hope I am dead wrong.

All. There is not a doubt in my mind that SLU will botch the seat selection process. For instance, things will no doubt go orderly for 1 thru 300. If this takes 2 days for only 300 accounts and then a week off in between to make sure mistakes are not made, then the rest us will need 3 to 4 weeks to complete our seat selection in the same manner. That simply won't happen.

Instead, they will probably open it up to blocks of 50 to a 100 at a time. Some guys will get there an hour early (would not be surprised if more than that) and be allowed to get their selection in. Also, the guy who is at #499 will get his selection in before the guy at #401 because he walked quicker, filled out his paperwork quicker and got in the line with the less incompetent person instead of the more incompetent person. I am seeing a system designed to make the lower number people happier but see nothing for the rest of us.

Hope I am dead wrong.

When Scottrade was opened (under a different name), we were given an assigned time to choose. A large seating chart was available showing the available seats. You chose from that. There was no one else in the room choosing seats at the same time. People were taken in order according to their assigned time. I did not have many points then, so I was pretty far down the list. Even that low down, things were run in an orderly manner. I don't see why it would be different this time around. Of course anything can happen.

If they do it as you suggest, I agree that I would be pretty upset if it turned into a foot race to see who gets there first.

Hope I am dead wrong.

Clock, I believe you are dead wrong on this. Mark Wright talked about the process at the last Billiken Club meeting and they celarly understand how important this is to people. The people ranked 1 - 300 will indeed get more time to pick their seats but then again, they kind of deserve it. The people ranked after that will be given a specific time and the blocks of minutes will be shorter but there will only be a few others in the building at the time. If you are ranked 401 and show up on time there is no way somebody ranked 425 will be there to pick before you much less, somebody ranked 499.

I suspect there will be a tag on each seat. If you want to purchase that seat you simply pick up the tag and fill out the paperwork. Just show up on time and nothing will go wrong.

This will not be like one of those scenes where brides to be are trampling eachother so they can get a dress for 70% off.

Clock, I believe you are dead wrong on this. Mark Wright talked about the process at the last Billiken Club meeting and they celarly understand how important this is to people. The people ranked 1 - 300 will indeed get more time to pick their seats but then again, they kind of deserve it. The people ranked after that will be given a specific time and the blocks of minutes will be shorter but there will only be a few others in the building at the time. If you are ranked 401 and show up on time there is no way somebody ranked 425 will be there to pick before you much less, somebody ranked 499.

I suspect there will be a tag on each seat. If you want to purchase that seat you simply pick up the tag and fill out the paperwork. Just show up on time and nothing will go wrong.

This will not be like one of those scenes where brides to be are trampling eachother so they can get a dress for 70% off.

Shoe. I hope you are right and that my fears are dead wrong. I really do. I just don't understand why the guys at 1-300 get more time and a week between (a different procedure) than those after 300. Does the guy at #301 not deserve equal treatment? I say anyone willing to lay down $450 per seat, plus possibly a large arena fee per seat, deserves the same treatment. Who made this arbitrary decision based upon a dividing line at 300? The same genious who decided the first row of seats behind the basket (Green seats) warrant no annual arena fee whereas the last row of seats in the building (Red seats) warrant a $150 annual fee. How about the guy who took away Red seats in the corners and made them Gold while not taking away any Green seats. Sorry, but I have no faith in Mark Wright and the Athletic Department. Instead, I'm waiting for a clean sweep.

Shoe. I hope you are right and that my fears are dead wrong. I really do. I just don't understand why the guys at 1-300 get more time and a week between (a different procedure) than those after 300. Does the guy at #301 not deserve equal treatment? I say anyone willing to lay down $450 per seat, plus possibly a large arena fee per seat, deserves the same treatment. Who made this arbitrary decision based upon a dividing line at 300? The same genious who decided the first row of seats behind the basket (Green seats) warrant no annual arena fee whereas the last row of seats in the building (Red seats) warrant a $150 annual fee. How about the guy who took away Red seats in the corners and made them Gold while not taking away any Green seats. Sorry, but I have no faith in Mark Wright and the Athletic Department. Instead, I'm waiting for a clean sweep.

Why do you think #301 is getting a dramatically different procedure than #300? The only difference 300 is getting is a little more time for the decision. The week and a half in between means nothing. Its just a scheduling thing. The line had to be drawn somewhere.

As for your complaint about the first few rows in the end-zone being green - who cares? The end-zones aren't exactly packed at the Savvis so anything they can do to make sure the lower part of the arena is always filled to capacity is a good thing.

By all accounts, the Gold seats were oversubscribed during the down-payment period. So they turned a few more red seats into gold, again who cares? You act like these are travesties and are talking doom and gloom for the seating process where #400 is going to pick at the same time as #301. That simply isn't the case.