Brad to Detroit

davidlee

Mark Soderberger?

At least Fr. Larry got his first name right when he was hired here. He kind of screwed up the last name, "Brad Sodaberger". And he gets a shot at a little revenge since we play them up there. No doubt he'll have good scouting info on how to stop KL and TL. Good luck to him. As many have posted, he's a good man.

Mark Soderberger?

That might be a nice slap in the face from this writer- was he the same one who complained that Brad's style wasn't good enough for UDM the other day? Either that, or the editors and fact checkers at the Detroit News suck.

It was mentioned on here a couple days ago that Brad was in over his head in applying for the Oregon State job. He wouldn't have been the best coach in the Pac 10, but I don't think it was a total reach for him either. They have very little basketball tradition, not having put together a winning season since 1990 (although they have made the tournament 16 times and produced Gary Payton and A.C. Green, the "Iron Man"). They hired an Ivy League coach, Craig Robinson from Brown, who seems like he'll be a good hire and good recruiter, but he's only 30-28 from his two seasons at Brown and is better known as Barack Obama's brother-in-law. I don't think OSU will regret their hiring decision, but Brad was not out of his league here.

I'm happy to see him land the Detroit job and I'm curious to see how he does there.

God, I'm happy for him. I loved the guy and thought he deserved to be the coach here, christening the first season at the Chaif, instead of at Detroit. He is very capable and a credit to his profession. He will fail at Detroit, just like any other coach they would hire.

Maybe not.....

Former Ball State, Houston coach McCallum to take over at Detroit

April 11, 2008

By Gary Parrish

CBSSports.com Senior Writer

Tell Gary your opinion!

Ray McCallum has reached an agreement to become the next basketball coach at Detroit, sources told CBSSports.com on Friday morning.

An official announcement is expected soon.

McCallum spent the past two years as an Indiana assistant.

He has previous head coaching experience at Ball State and Houston.

Maybe not.....

Former Ball State, Houston coach McCallum to take over at Detroit

April 11, 2008

By Gary Parrish

CBSSports.com Senior Writer

Tell Gary your opinion!

Ray McCallum has reached an agreement to become the next basketball coach at Detroit, sources told CBSSports.com on Friday morning.

An official announcement is expected soon.

McCallum spent the past two years as an Indiana assistant.

He has previous head coaching experience at Ball State and Houston.

If this is true it means that the administration at UDM faced up to the fact sthat the reality is that the necessary requirement to be the hoops coach at UDM is to be a minority. The way the PSL coaches operate and the absolute necessity to recruit the PSL a non-minority coach will not be successful. Michigan took a lot of criticism from the PSL for not only firing Amaker but bringing in a white coach to replace him. The reality of the situation in Detroit. If you want to know what the neighborhood UDM is located in is like, go north on Grand and go about 8 blocks north of Delmar.

Soderberg should aim for an assistant job.