Harrellson and Reed

I haven't returned as a poster, but I felt it necessary to announce that we have completed new interviews with Josh Harrellson and Willie Reed. Reed's interview is on the website now on the homepage. Harrellson's interview will be available in the morning. Thanks to those who read my website. If anyone wants to contact me, they can email me or send me a private message on this message board.

I haven't returned as a poster, but I felt it necessary to announce that we have completed new interviews with Josh Harrellson and Willie Reed. Reed's interview is on the website now on the homepage. Harrellson's interview will be available in the morning. Thanks to those who read my website. If anyone wants to contact me, they can email me or send me a private message on this message board.

I must've missed your latest swan song V. Be well. Buh-bye......

Nice interview with Willie. Like his attitude. From the gist of your conversation seems like Willie is qualified or very close and will be with reporting to SLU this Fall. That's super

Thanks for the interview...but...

How in the world can you interview Willie Reed and not ask one question about his elegibility or Milestone?!?!?!

I must've missed your latest swan song V. Be well. Buh-bye......

i missed it also - but considering he says "i haven't returned as a poster" in a post - i would guess his absence will be about as long others when they "leave"

i missed it also - but considering he says "i haven't returned as a poster" in a post - i would guess his absence will be about as long others when they "leave"

I wouldn't think that my supposedly racially insensitive comments could turn a whole organization away from this board, but if that's the case, then I sincerely apologize to all the employees and shareholders of STL Hoops Insider®. I hope I haven't damaged the goodwill of jimbofive, Inc.® on my balance sheet too badly...

Thanks for the interview.

Not to criticize here, V, because I think you're doing a bang up job w/ your site. But no better shot of WR other than a disgusted look as the other team looks to be cheering a go ahead basket? Also, a question as to what he's been up to bb wise since his exile from HS hoops might have been appropriate. Like, "you pumping iron?", "doing crunches and gassers", "playing intramural ball"?

Not to criticize here, V, because I think you're doing a bang up job w/ your site. But no better shot of WR other than a disgusted look as the other team looks to be cheering a go ahead basket? Also, a question as to what he's been up to bb wise since his exile from HS hoops might have been appropriate. Like, "you pumping iron?", "doing crunches and gassers", "playing intramural ball"?

What are gassers? Are those akin to killers/suicides? Never heard of them.

Great interview STL Hoops. Harrellson sure says all the right things. Love this quote: "I have no hard feelings toward Western Illinois. I feel they did right on punishing me for the past year. I am glad that they realize that one year is enough and that they decided to release me."

http://stlhoopsinsider.com/

Me thinks Western Il. made a condition of the release that Harrellson say specific things publicly regarding the situation about the release. Bernie was the catalyst for this. Good for Josh and I wish him well at whatever school his chooses to attend next season. Hopefully it's SLU!

"Bernie was the catalyst for this. "

I think it's naive to think that Bernie had anything to do with this. Organizations don't make overnight decisions based on columns from out-of-town papers. And trust me, St. Louis is out-of-town and simply an afterthought to the good people of Macomb. The only big-city media that matters up there is from Chicago.

The most likely scenario is that Bernie got wind of the decision to release Josh and wrote a column in an attempt to make himself appear to be the "catalyst".

Or, if one or more of the "former" SLU players end up at WIU, and Harrelson comes to SLU, the "conspiracy theory" I set forth a couple weeks ago suddenly takes legs.................JK

I think it's naive to think that Bernie had anything to do with this. Organizations don't make overnight decisions based on columns from out-of-town papers. And trust me, St. Louis is out-of-town and simply an afterthought to the good people of Macomb. The only big-city media that matters up there is from Chicago.

The most likely scenario is that Bernie got wind of the decision to release Josh and wrote a column in an attempt to make himself appear to be the "catalyst".

Or, if one or more of the "former" SLU players end up at WIU, and Harrelson comes to SLU, the "conspiracy theory" I set forth a couple weeks ago suddenly takes legs.................JK

I think you are the naive one. I'm convinced the Bernie's article helped, why would any university want the negative publicity?

I think you are the naive one. I'm convinced the Bernie's article helped, why would any university want the negative publicity?

My choice of the word "naive" was unfortunate. I didn't intend to offend.

St. Louis area publicity doesn't really matter much to WIU. There are a few hundred kids from Madison and St. Clair counties attending the school, and a few dozen from the Missouri side, but the St. Louis area doesn't have much of a presence up there. Over 60% of their students are from the Chicago area, with most of the remainder from West Central Illinois.

With regards to recruiting, they're at the bottom of the barrel anyway, so how could the fact that they followed the rules and asked that their recruited athletes do the same be a negative?

Color me a cynic when it comes to the media, but this looks like a classic case of claiming credit for doing nothing. (to my knowledge Bernie hasn't claimed credit, but he certainly knows that many people will give it to him--whether earned or not).

We can agree to disagree on this one.

IMHO you underestimate the power of the press. Universities are very conscious of their press. Especially a school in a small town that gets called out by the top sports writer in big city paper. Harrellson has been asking for a release for almost a year and it magically gets granted within days of Bernie's article. Yet this poster believes it's "naive" to infer a connection? Respectfully disagree. Most reasonable assumption is that there is indeed a strong connection.

Interesting theory, even in jest. Throw Angres Thorpe into the mix as the new Western Illinois coach and you have the makings of a primetime TV show --"They were kicked to the curb but they came back with a vengeance. This is their story.."

I guess with the schools he's considering his a "family situation" has cleared up. Glad Josh could get that handled in time to consider Kentucky

skip, you act like Josh just asked for his release a week ago, it was nearly a year and a half ago. Circumstances can change for the good and bad in that time. Many on this board criticized Josh for making a hasty decision when he signed with WIU, and now want to criticize him for not making a quick decision to sign with SLU. I can see why he might be a little gun shy at the moment.

IMHO you underestimate the power of the press. Universities are very conscious of their press. Especially a school in a small town that gets called out by the top sports writer in big city paper. Harrellson has been asking for a release for almost a year and it magically gets granted within days of Bernie's article. Yet this poster believes it's "naive" to infer a connection? Respectfully disagree. Most reasonable assumption is that there is indeed a strong connection.

Fair enough and certainly a logical conclusion. But I ain't buyin' it.

BTW, I recanted "naive". Perhaps I should have simply said that we shouldn't always accept what appears to be..............although I will grant that "what appears to be" is more often than not the way things actually are.

skip, you act like Josh just asked for his release a week ago, it was nearly a year and a half ago. Circumstances can change for the good and bad in that time. Many on this board criticized Josh for making a hasty decision when he signed with WIU, and now want to criticize him for not making a quick decision to sign with SLU. I can see why he might be a little gun shy at the moment.

I hope Josh or any other recruit doesn't base his decision on the guys on this board. We are way over-invested in this team and debate every little detail like the world depends on it.

Let me make sure I got this straight.

Josh signs with WIU

Bigger more prestigious schools let it be known they would be interested

Josh has a family problem that requires he stay closer to home

Josh asks for his release and is denied

Josh enrolls at SWIC and has a good year and very big programs are calling

Josh's family problem ends

Josh gets his release and now considers the larger programs that are farther away than WIU

Yes, I get it. I just done buy it. Rarely does it smell like fish and end up being Filet Mignon. Not that my opinion matters anyway.

Look I think WIU should have released him, in fact I think as long as the rules remain as they are for the coaches and the schools ... the kids should be able to leave at anytime with no penalty.

Fair enough and certainly a logical conclusion. But I ain't buyin' it.

BTW, I recanted "naive". Perhaps I should have simply said that we shouldn't always accept what appears to be..............although I will grant that "what appears to be" is more often than not the way things actually are.

Sorry, I didn't read the recant before blasting away.

Guest BillikenReport

Let me make sure I got this straight.

Josh signs with WIU

Bigger more prestigious schools let it be known they would be interested

Josh has a family problem that requires he stay closer to home

Josh asks for his release and is denied

Josh enrolls at SWIC and has a good year and very big programs are calling

Josh's family problem ends

Josh gets his release and now considers the larger programs that are farther away than WIU

Yes, I get it. I just done buy it. Rarely does it smell like fish and end up being Filet Mignon. Not that my opinion matters anyway.

Look I think WIU should have released him, in fact I think as long as the rules remain as they are for the coaches and the schools ... the kids should be able to leave at anytime with no penalty.

Skip,

You can cross off — Bigger more prestigious schools let it be known they would be interested — from your list.

That didn't happen until a year after Harrellson signed with Western Illinois.

And the family problems haven't ended.

- Nate