Sources: Crean to Indiana

WOW!

that would be the kind of big time hire I thought would happen 2 years ago -- at least I think.

I would like to hear how folks on the board view Crean. Character, class, game coach, recruiter, all that.

Wasn't there some talk on here a while back about him being sort of snobby? or am I thinking of something else?

No one ever knows but RM has publicly and frequently said before that he would not want to coach again at Marquette. Almost as if he kind of likes to keep his hometown life and friends separate from his professional life. Truly believe he would not want to start that over again and face eventual criticism from his hometown again.

As for Marquette, RM naturally would be a name on their list but they should have a pretty easy job filling any vacancy with a younger, healthier guy with their recent success and conference affiliation. This leads to another topic, but I believe the Big East almost has too many big name schools with too much competition for them all to thrive. The Big East will not be able to consistently get 6 teams into the Tournament each year. If Marquette and DePaul are not careful, they could soon become the doormat of the Big East. Hence, another reason why the Big East is not stable.

man, b-law would be pissed if majerus went to marquette since he seems to think majerus is terrible. how about brian gregory, or is marquette above him?

No one ever knows but RM has publicly and frequently said before that he would not want to coach again at Marquette. Almost as if he kind of likes to keep his hometown life and friends separate from his professional life. Truly believe he would not want to start that over again and face eventual criticism from his hometown again.

As for Marquette, RM naturally would be a name on their list but they should have a pretty easy job filling any vacancy with a younger, healthier guy with their recent success and conference affiliation. This leads to another topic, but I believe the Big East almost has too many big name schools with too much competition for them all to thrive. The Big East will not be able to consistently get 6 teams into the Tournament each year. If Marquette and DePaul are not careful, they could soon become the doormat of the Big East. Hence, another reason why the Big East is not stable.

I hope you're right. I was hoping this was some kind of April's fool joke, but I guess not. Majerus and SLU are perfect for each other. It would be a shame to lose him to Marquette. However, we know the attraction an alma mater has to these coaches. Plus, his mother lives there and he has a house in Milwaukee.

I've heard him say the same thing on his radio show. But, things always change when you aren't speaking hypothetically.

Personally, I don't think Marquette goes after Majerus. Marquette has become a very successful program and will not have a hard time attracting a very good coach. My thoughts would be that they are looking for somebody to be there for the long haul. Majerus was hired to turn our program around and then he will retire. Since Marquette doesn't need a "quick fix", I see them going after a younger guy who will be there for a long time.

Are there any other notable Marquette alums in the coaching ranks?

What kind of contractual clause are you talking about?

Based on the public perception of the negotiations (which is admittedly an unsteady foundation to form a conclusion) I don't know if Biondi had the leverage to hammer RM if RM wanted to leave.

I don't think this is good at all. If SLU and RM are a perfect match then Marquette and RM are a more perfect match. Besides all the obvious connections, Marquette (at least to me) doesn't bring the same level of scrutiny as many other big name basketball jobs.

I've heard him say the same thing on his radio show. But, things always change when you aren't speaking hypothetically.

Personally, I don't think Marquette goes after Majerus. Marquette has become a very successful program and will not have a hard time attracting a very good coach. My thoughts would be that they are looking for somebody to be there for the long haul. Majerus was hired to turn our program around and then he will retire. Since Marquette doesn't need a "quick fix", I see them going after a younger guy who will be there for a long time.

Are there any other notable Marquette alums in the coaching ranks?

Did a quick check of the MU basketball board. Names tossed around are K O'neill, T Benett, Lowery, and S Miller. There was mention of majerus, both for and against.

Based on the public perception of the negotiations (which is admittedly an unsteady foundation to form a conclusion) I don't know if Biondi had the leverage to hammer RM if RM wanted to leave.

I don't think this is good at all. If SLU and RM are a perfect match then Marquette and RM are a more perfect match. Besides all the obvious connections, Marquette (at least to me) doesn't bring the same level of scrutiny as many other big name basketball jobs.

They should have been able to get a very high buyout amount.

BLaw is crying like a baby.

Nope, sorry slappy. Just working the phones, seeing who's next. In fact, after the Stanford game in my rather inebriated state I told my wife "we can do better, he isn't a good X's and O's coach!"

Thanks for making MU a power, taking us to a Final Four, 5 NCAA tournaments, 16K average attendance, and to the Big East. if not for Crean we're probably stuck in the A-10. :lol:

Tony Bennett or Sean Miller should be seeing a Brinks truck pull up in their front lawns any minute now, Gregory should also be looking out his window, Brad Brownell too.

Thanks for all you've done, Tom, good luck at IU. Marquette will be just fine.

Nope, sorry slappy. Just working the phones, seeing who's next. In fact, after the Stanford game in my rather inebriated state I told my wife "we can do better, he isn't a good X's and O's coach!"

Thanks for making MU a power, taking us to a Final Four, 5 NCAA tournaments, 16K average attendance, and to the Big East. if not for Crean we're probably stuck in the A-10. :lol:

Tony Bennett or Sean Miller should be seeing a Brinks truck pull up in their front lawns any minute now, Gregory should also be looking out his window, Brad Brownell too.

MU should be fine, but this will be a very important hire. Just ask St. Johns or Seton Hall how hard it can be if you don't hire the right guy.

I'd think it would take a TON of cash to get Miller to take at best a lateral move to Marquette. The Big East is a great conference but Xavier great program.......

Gosh you mean your buddy did not confide in you before making the decision to take the Hoosiers job?