Tyler Griffey to Illinois

Westy03

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

stli, like i said above, if the kid let's weber know asap and gives weber every opportunity to address any concern or issue that would arise first before renouncing their current decision that is a little different. i personally dont even like that happening. i think if they werent ready to make the commit, they shouldnt have done so in the first place, but at least if they are going to flip flop have the decency to give the coach some notice and the benefit to discuss the issue(s) at hand. dont do what gordon and sampson did.

that also said, i would hope in a situation like that, if the kid came to a new coach and said he wanted to talk to him about switching from the verballed school to them, that coach would honor that verbal and tell the kid that he would love to talk to him but only when the other coach is first notified. there needs to be some honor and respect amongst each other.

I respect your opinion and I appreciate you using the stl reference and not vtime.

Is anyone that upset about not getting this kid. I know he is a highly ranked recruit from the area, but I personally have not seen anything from him that makes me overly upset he is headed to U of I. I kind of see him as another Brandenburg; highly regarded prospect who doesn't have that killer instinct to take advantage of his skills. He is very soft at this point. He is just a junior though, so maybe he gets it together and becomes a star by the time he heads out to Champaign.

Regardless I wish him well. I like to see St. Louis kids succceed no matter where they end up. For the St. Louis kids who possess quality cage fighting skills I encourage them to sign with the Tigers.

STLHI, if you want to disown VTime, then be consistent and pull it from your tagline. It is strange to read "don't call me VTime," but you reference it in every post you make....my 2 cents.

As far as PGs go, would you prefer we offer Cotto, Cotto and Bryant, or exclusively recruit Bryant?

Exclusively Bryant Allen.

Is anyone that upset about not getting this kid. I know he is a highly ranked recruit from the area, but I personally have not seen anything from him that makes me overly upset he is headed to U of I. I kind of see him as another Brandenburg; highly regarded prospect who doesn't have that killer instinct to take advantage of his skills. He is very soft at this point. He is just a junior though, so maybe he gets it together and becomes a star by the time he heads out to Champaign.

Regardless I wish him well. I like to see St. Louis kids succceed no matter where they end up. For the St. Louis kids who possess quality cage fighting skills I encourage them to sign with the Tigers.

There is no comparison between Griffey and Brandenburg. Griffey is highly skilled and can do a lot of things. He scored like 24 points in his first high school game. He has been one of the area's top players since he entered high school. He performs in AAU and during the high school season. He plays with Adidas Nations and everything. Probably the most highly regarded prospect to come out of the area since Alex Tyus and probably most talented since Nicholas Kern. Nick Kern and Darius Miles were the most talented forwards from the area that I've seen in person.

Kids a baller, I never really thought SLU was in it, as Griffey has always wanted to go big time. I wish him luck at UI, that's a good get for them.

How many schollies does SLU have left for '08? Who has offers?

Cotto I know.

What about '09? Offers?

Bryant Allen I know.

Just curious how you never thought SLU was in it? Do you have inside info? or is that just an uninformed opinion?

He's going to Illinois, I wish him luck. I hope he has a great career and I will make a little more effort to watch the Illini play now. I will never hold ill-will towards a kid for choosing the situation he thinks fit's him best.

How many schollies does SLU have left for '08?

assuming all underclassmen return,

juniors

lisch

liddell

eberhardt

sophomore

knollmeyer

freshmen

maguire (redshirt)

relphorde

mitchell

eckerle

that leaves five scholarships for the incoming class

mitchell

reed

conklin

john

thompson

therefore, we have no scholarships to give next year.

There is no comparison between Griffey and Brandenburg. Griffey is highly skilled and can do a lot of things. He scored like 24 points in his first high school game. He has been one of the area's top players since he entered high school. He performs in AAU and during the high school season. He plays with Adidas Nations and everything. Probably the most highly regarded prospect to come out of the area since Alex Tyus and probably most talented since Nicholas Kern. Nick Kern and Darius Miles were the most talented forwards from the area that I've seen in person.

And to clarify, John Brandenburg should be a nice college player as well. I think he went to a school where he can see realistic playing time and should be a contributor as a rebounder and shotblocker.

juniors

lisch

liddell

eberhardt

sophomore

knollmeyer

freshmen

maguire (redshirt)

relphorde

mitchell

eckerle

mitchell

reed

conklin

john

thompson

after this year, i'm sick of it. dump the schmucks, let's get some real players in here.

i will be interested to see how the ncaa will evaluate our graduation ratio if a revolving door begins spinning.

Just curious how you never thought SLU was in it? Do you have inside info? or is that just an uninformed opinion?

He's going to Illinois, I wish him luck. I hope he has a great career and I will make a little more effort to watch the Illini play now. I will never hold ill-will towards a kid for choosing the situation he thinks fit's him best.

From all indications he seemed to want to go big-time, did so, and then said that was the biggest factor for him in the end. I suppose I should always remember this is a somewhat rival board, and I should never have an opinion that could be taken as a slam against SLU.

I just personally never felt SLU was a realistic option for the kid based on what I read. I have never spoken to Mr. Griffey, no.

juniors

lisch

liddell

eberhardt

sophomore

knollmeyer

freshmen

maguire (redshirt)

relphorde

mitchell

eckerle

mitchell

reed

conklin

john

thompson

So does this mean that Cotto is out? Or do you think Majerus will "find" a way to get him if it looks like he could qualify?

No way Eckerle is on athletic scholarship next year. Also I am guessing at least one other player leaves. Why stay at SLU if you are not going to see playing time.

Agreed. If you can't find time on this team, then are you really going to find time in the next couple of years?

No way Eckerle is on athletic scholarship next year. Also I am guessing at least one other player leaves. Why stay at SLU if you are not going to see playing time.

if eckerle was an end of the bench guy i might agree. but no way they are going to take him out of the offseason workouts and any of the other perks that only the on scholarship kids can participate in. plus, i still find it hard to believe that the ncaa will allow players to switch to academic scholarship all that easily. if it was that easy, the likes of calipari would be using that card all the time to stack their roster.

as to why the other kids would stay, probably not a single kid on this roster is going to the nba, so why not get a slu education? if your choice is an siu edwardsville education free or a slu education free, which would you take?

if eckerle was an end of the bench guy i might agree. but no way they are going to take him out of the offseason workouts and any of the other perks that only the on scholarship kids can participate in. plus, i still find it hard to believe that the ncaa will allow players to switch to academic scholarship all that easily. if it was that easy, the likes of calipari would be using that card all the time to stack their roster.

as to why the other kids would stay, probably not a single kid on this roster is going to the nba, so why not get a slu education? if your choice is an siu edwardsville education free or a slu education free, which would you take?

Roy, I don't know why you continue to focus so heavily on this issue considering as of yet no kids have left but since you always want to bring the subject up, I'll play along. Even if the kid doesn't want to leave, all athletic scholarships are renewable after every year. Without rehashing yet another debat about the morality of pulling a scholarship, that is the simple fact. So you assumption that nobody would leave because the kid doesn't want to simply isn't accurate. At some level, the kid has no say in the matter. That's true at SLU and every other school in the NCAA.

A decent analogy somebody once gave was with an academic scholarship you have to maintain a certain GPA to keep the scholly. If you don't work hard enough or aren't smart enough, thats too bad, you lose the scholly. If an athlete can't maintain some level of performance, either because of lack of talent or lack of effort, why should he be guaranteed a 4 year ride?

I think that's a good point Roy, why would they pass up the SLU free ride (assuming kshoe's scenario above doesn't play out and the schollie isn't yanked)? But you assume their only option would be SIU-E, when the board has acknowledged the depth of D-1 and the host of good academic institutions that play in the lower ranks. If a kid has a chance to play a lot at a similar academic institution to SLU, why wouldn't he?