Tyler Griffey to Illinois

Westy03

Guest BillikenReport

Still no announcement on scout or rivals. Maybe they are waiting to interview him first.

Most newspapers or media outlets would actually verify the information with the kid before publishing the info.

- Nate

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Typical response by Mizzou fans. He's never any good if he doesn't want to play there. Had he committed, they'd be singing his praises.

I, for one, am bummed that it looks like he's going to UI. We could use some better news after last night's debacle.

I see you mentioned Tre Lee, but I'm hearing good things about in-state prospect Jay Lee.

I am sure you are.

Does anyone want to start this years list? I thought there was no way that he could eclipse previous years, but I think there is a good chance he will.

frank just said on his show that it is a done deal. he talked to the dad this morning. and it is for sure the illini.

frank insinuated the difference was the big ten vs the a-10. a chance to play on the bigger stage.

frank just said on his show that it is a done deal. he talked to the dad this morning. and it is for sure the illini.

frank insinuated the difference was the big ten vs the a-10. a chance to play on the bigger stage.

I am sure Sheltie has his Indian head dress on right now. :lol:

Kshoe, unless Cotto's offer was handwritten by you, it's a figment. That comes from Jerrance. He has no offer, and Illinois has none left to give.

This will work out well for SLU if Rickma is green lights for Cotto.

Rammer and Cus are talking about Tyler on da radio now, and Griffster has confirmed Jr. is attending Illinois to Frank, so it is an "official" verbal.

Brian, looks like it won't be much better than you could imagine hoops-wise for the next five years for SLU and Illinois. Rickma and company should be tearing up the Illinois scene with gleeful abandon for the next three years, as the scene is exploding with talent - and Illinois has everything already filled. Both programs will be stocked with young maturing talent, and hopefully we can see the progression from making the NCAA, making it to 32, and then the glory years of being a big time contendah. I have been chuffed even before Tyler's commit, and knew they were pulling down a commit from a big man. Tyler struck me as being the best to get them into the new Flyin' Illini mode.

Hopefully the next time Rickma cruises up to see his mom and the SG we offered in the 'burbs, he can also catch one of Cooley's games. He reputedly is solid academically, and a PF tough guy on the court coming into his own. He was ready to commit to the Illini, but Tyler beat him to the commit.

I am sure you are.

Does anyone want to start this years list? I thought there was no way that he could eclipse previous years, but I think there is a good chance he will.

Yeah, start a list and make it clear which guys I sid offer and which one's I didnt so it can be clear this time. I didn't say to offer the kid. The guys I think should have offers right now from the area class of 2009 are:

Bryant Allen

Richard Anderson

Tyler Griffey

I'm high on the following players, but need to see continued progress:

Gavin Wiss

Cody Sorenson

Jerome Jones

Sean Duff

Lonnie Boga

Postcard, your tigertail is showing. Unlike Mizzou, Illinois did have the best record in the NCAA over the past four years before hitting the wall this year.

Now that Weber has hired the recruiting assistant they needed, and learned how to close recruiting deals, he again is going to have the talent available, and again he will develop and coach them up. Hopefully Rickma will be doing the same in town, and Mizzou will be reprising their "40 minutes of hell" defense down at some bar.

Yea Brian, I'm not worried. I'm actually glad this happened, otherwise the Dayton game would have me still contemplating which bridge I should jump off.

VTime, I certainly hope that Griffster would not allow that. There are still honorable people in the world, and the Griffeys have been very honest and open throughout the recruiting process. It is distressing to see some of the football verbal flip-flopping commits wash over to the basketball side of college sports.

We need to move on to other available big men, and find someone who will be excited to attend SLU and play for Rickma.

Postcard, your tigertail is showing. Unlike Mizzou, Illinois did have the best record in the NCAA over the past four years before hitting the wall this year.

Now that Weber has hired the recruiting assistant they needed, and learned how to close recruiting deals, he again is going to have the talent available, and again he will develop and coach them up. Hopefully Rickma will be doing the same in town, and Mizzou will be reprising their "40 minutes of hell" defense down at some bar.

Yea Brian, I'm not worried. I'm actually glad this happened, otherwise the Dayton game would have me still contemplating which bridge I should jump off.

Sheltie, He is not coming to SLU so I could care less about him. Last time I checked this was the Billiken Board. If you want to talk Illinois recruits and Illinois basketball I'm sure they have a board you can join.

I think that if Majerus can finish his contract out, he may ver well bring in the best cache of talent that SLU has ever had. Does that mean they will have the best seasons ever? Maybe not, because they did go to the NIT finals in the 50's right? I expect Lisch and Liddell to turn the corner next year as well in year 2 under Majerus and they should go down as local heroes, who spurned Illinois and UNLV to play for the Billikens.

At Mizzou, I dont think Anderson needs to reprise his system, just get players who fit his system in. Next year, only Lyons and M. Lawrence wont be his players and Lyons is sypical of the kind of player Anderson brings in. I'm not saying they will take off next year, because a lot of the guys are freshman, in year 2 with a team full of his players, and his 4th year overall with the team, it will be put up or shut up for his team.

I think Weber will indeed coach up his team, just like he did at Carbondale. I know those weren't his players in 2005, but did help them reach previously unseen height, and I'm not sure they would've gotten that far with any coach, and that's not a knock on Bill Self. Lots of coaching talent around. Majerus, Anderson, and Weber, have all been to the NCAA title game. Anderson has a victory, but as an assistant.

VTime, I certainly hope that Griffster would not allow that. There are still honorable people in the world, and the Griffeys have been very honest and open throughout the recruiting process. It is distressing to see some of the football verbal flip-flopping commits wash over to the basketball side of college sports.

We need to move on to other available big men, and find someone who will be excited to attend SLU and play for Rickma.

i agree sheltie. move on. i hope rickma never plays recruiting that way. i never want slu to be thrown in the same breath with the likes of sampson from a comparision standpoint.

the griffey's should not even think about going back on their word without a very good reason. if they do, i hope they let weber know asap and give weber every opportunity to address any concern or issue that would arise first before renouncing their current decision.

that all said, as much as i like mr griffey and appreciate his input here, tyler is now an illini which means he means nothing to me hereforward. nothing more than any other player on the illinois roster or the harvard roster, or the santa clara roster. he made his decision and good for him. i wish him well. but no pining from me. he's out of here and i wont be paying any attention to his career from this point forward. dont wish him any ill will, just couldnt care less about him now.

I dont think changing your commitment is dishonest. Coaches recruit kids all the time and then bolt for the highest paying job. Kids get penalize and scrutinized so much for switching verbals or transferring, but coaches do it whenever they want, with no punishment. They leave programs in shambles, on probation etc. The verbal is non-binding, and its just stating an intent, coaches sign contracts and break them. Kids do less and get lambasted about it. Its not right.

I dont think changing your commitment is dishonest. Coaches recruit kids all the time and then bolt for the highest paying job. Kids get penalize and scrutinized so much for switching verbals or transferring, but coaches do it whenever they want, with no punishment. They leave programs in shambles, on probation etc. The verbal is non-binding, and its just stating an intent, coaches sign contracts and break them. Kids do less and get lambasted about it. Its not right.

stli, like i said above, if the kid let's weber know asap and gives weber every opportunity to address any concern or issue that would arise first before renouncing their current decision that is a little different. i personally dont even like that happening. i think if they werent ready to make the commit, they shouldnt have done so in the first place, but at least if they are going to flip flop have the decency to give the coach some notice and the benefit to discuss the issue(s) at hand. dont do what gordon and sampson did.

that also said, i would hope in a situation like that, if the kid came to a new coach and said he wanted to talk to him about switching from the verballed school to them, that coach would honor that verbal and tell the kid that he would love to talk to him but only when the other coach is first notified. there needs to be some honor and respect amongst each other.