Temple at SLU GDT and Postgame Discussion

TheA_Bomb

We have a foul to give so should we try to score right away and then foul or just play for the last shot.

Our shooting isn't all that so I don't want to hold it till the last second.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Liddell gets stuffed again, but i can't blame our guys too much on offense...it's friggin' 4 versus 5 out there with Polk in the game.

In some defense of polk, he was guarding the guy who missed Temple's last shot.

Only 36 minutes in this game played by guys over 6'5. I wonder why Majerus went with such a small line up for 6 1/2 minutes?

TLIII dissappeared in the 2nd half.

4 games in a row with Polk scoring 0 Pts.

So close to being 3-1 in the last 4 games. Instead 1-3 really stings as we fail to defend the home court twice and continue to look really really bad on the road.

How did we lose this game? Simple offensive execution or lack there of. Our defense down the stretch was stellar. Somehow, with Polk out there as an offensive zero, we could not get a basket at crunch time, despite numerous chances.

I do like how our defense and rebounding is shaping up. We are starting to get the rebounds at crtical times.

we didn't lose this game because of lack of rebounding. not this time. they got a few extra opportunities. but today's loss is squarely on lack of offensive execution. when you hold you opponent scoreless for the first six minutes of the game at home and the best you can do is have a 4-0 lead, that is not good. when you have countless unforced turnovers in the second half of a close game, that is a recipe for disaster. the empty trips killed up in the second half and they got something like 15-16 points off of those turnovers.

bad boyz for life

Only 36 minutes in this game played by guys over 6'5. I wonder why Majerus went with such a small line up for 6 1/2 minutes?

TLIII dissappeared in the 2nd half.

4 games in a row with Polk scoring 0 Pts.

So close to being 3-1 in the last 4 games. Instead 1-3 really stings as we fail to defend the home court twice and continue to look really really bad on the road.

A_Bomb, did you watch the game or follow it online? I ask the question because we were much, much more effective on the offensive end with Eckerle and Brown in place of Knollmeyer/Husak and Polk, and we weren't noticeably worse off on the defensive end. When Temple looked like they were pulling away at the end of both regulation and OT, Majerus had to go with the Brown/Eckerle lineup to catch back up.

What drives me nuts about Polk's inability to shoot is that (i) it allows the defense to double off on the post man or the shooting guard and (ii) it often ruins an otherwise perfectly executed offensive set that should have created a wide open shot for a guard. I know he is a great kid who works his tail off, but right now his offensive limitations are single-handedly killing this offense.

Guest BillikenReport

What drives me nuts about Polk's inability to shoot is that (i) it allows the defense to double off on the post man or the shooting guard and (ii) it often ruins an otherwise perfectly executed offensive set that should have created a wide open shot for a guard. I know he is a great kid who works his tail off, but right now his offensive limitations are single-handedly killing this offense.

David,

That is definitely an issue with this team right now. There are so many times that Polk has open looks from the perimeter but either he doesn't take the shot or misses the shot. With him and Husak on the floor at the same time, it allows defenses to key on the other guys and limits what Liddell, Lisch and Meyer can do.

Since Polk is struggling shooting (from the field and at the free throw line), you've seen Eckerle get more minutes late in the last two games. Eckerle can knock down shots from the perimeter and make free throws, so he's the better option right now.

- Nate

we didn't lose this game because of lack of rebounding. not this time. they got a few extra opportunities. but today's loss is squarely on lack of offensive execution. when you hold you opponent scoreless for the first six minutes of the game at home and the best you can do is have a 4-0 lead, that is not good. when you have countless unforced turnovers in the second half of a close game, that is a recipe for disaster. the empty trips killed up in the second half and they got something like 15-16 points off of those turnovers.

bad boyz for life

absolutely agree they did not have to beat us this was the worst recognition and passing game of the season. We looked afraid to hang on to it and afraid to shoot. We even had a couple of trips where we did not get the shot off in time; but passing was the big problem. They were very deep at the

5 and that could have been the story, but it was nowhere near the problem of passing to people running the wrong way-which I do not fault the runner. Sure hope we have a good point guard the next 4 years.

I was not saying that BH or AK needed to be in there I was just asking why not. I agree that AK or BH wasn't as effective as DB or PE but the overall offense wasn't much better. We were already overmatched sizewise and that made it worse. However, Temple didn't really exploit that as their scorers are all on the wing. I had more of a problem with playing for the last shot. I really wished we would have tried for a quick two that way if we miss then we can foul and have another chance at it.

Maybe Polk won't be starting as KL was handling the point down the stretch.

I did notice alot of screens in this game however they weren't that effective because two guys could cover because they sagged off Polk so much.

Eckerle and Brown have been effective lately. AK wasn't as good this game as the last one. BE should be back soon whatever that means.

There are some definite peronnel problems with this team. They are glaring at PG and PF/C. That's only 3 of 5 positions on the court Majerus should be able to overcome that right?

Guest BillikenReport

You also have to give Temple — and specifically Dionte Christmas — for knocking down some tough shots.

Rhode Island couldn't get those shots to fall.

Dayton — and specifically Brian Roberts — made the tough ones as well and escaped with the win.

- Nate

David,

That is definitely an issue with this team right now. There are so many times that Polk has open looks from the perimeter but either he doesn't take the shot or misses the shot. With him and Husak on the floor at the same time, it allows defenses to key on the other guys and limits what Liddell, Lisch and Meyer can do.

Since Polk is struggling shooting (from the field and at the free throw line), you've seen Eckerle get more minutes late in the last two games. Eckerle can knock down shots from the perimeter and make free throws, so he's the better option right now.

- Nate

I have to agree with both David and Nate. At about halfway through the 2nd half I was thinking, man these guys are actually running an offense. I thought it worked great to get open looks. I also thought our defense was spectacular. More than anything, I thought our boxing out was as good as I've ever seen a team box out. I think we boxed out to a fault actually. It seemed there were times we were boxing out so much that there was 15 feet of free space under the basket and we completely forgot to rebound.

Honestly, I can't complain about this loss. We need offense. Polk is killin us offensively. DB looked great. Knollmeyer looked real comfortable. Kevin has hopefully come back. We just need guys who can put the ball in the basketball. I can't really get mad at this team given our heartbreaking performance yesterday.

- Nate

eckerle and polk both are the only players that have played the majority of the games that are not shooting over 40% from the floor. i wouldnt want either one to be shooting.

eckerle and polk both are the only players that have played the majority of the games that are not shooting over 40% from the floor. i wouldnt want either one to be shooting.

I can not take it when eckerle is in the game. He makes bad passes and is only a so-so shooter. I like the kid but he really needs work. He also tries to throw the ball to Luke every chance he gets.

DB should be getting more minutes, he plays good D, has an OK jumper and is one of our best finishers

Eckerle is a so-so shooter but most of our team is bad shooters. Lisch, Liddell, Meyer are above average and the rest are bad. So Eckerle gets to play.

I'm coming to the realization that this season doesn't really matter. The only players that will be seeing the floor next year are KL, TL, maybe BE and PE. It really isn't a building year more so a bridge to the Majerus era from the BS era.

5 players already signed 1 at each position and maybe 2 more. Just so I'm straight we have one unused scholarship right now (or being used by a walk-on) and then maybe if one guy leaves that would make 7? From the recent recruiting buzz it looks like they are looking at another SG. I think we need another JUCO PG and C but we haven't heard anything about those positions so maybe they have faith in Kwaimain but who backs him up?

At this point I'm just hoping for 16-14 this year regular season and pray for a run in the tournament which is very unlikely.