worst case scenarios.........

SLUNATE

I think the A-10 is a done deal, however...

Remaining CUSA still better than MVC. Memphis is better than any MVC program. UAB is will remain strong. According to the XU board, apparently Coach Cal had some bad things to say about the A10 when he left UMASS and that is a reason why Memphis is not being considered.

I have a question though. Does anyone think we would be able to raise enough money in the leftover CUSA or MVC to build that arena. I would be much less likely to donate if that was our future, sorry to say.

These are two horrible scenarios.

There is no way we want to be the ONLY non-football playing school in C-USA. We would have literally no say in the direction of the Conference.

However, if we go to the Valley, we could be left at the altar if the Big East splits up in a few years and the basketball schools are looking for some good candidates to fill an all basketball conference.

However, if it came down to it, I would say join the Valley.

First, I can't imagine that BU is currently in a very positive position. Here's a link to some trouble with the administration (and from what I understand, the GW President's colleagues while he was at BU)-- http://www.boston.com/news/education/highe...ation_on_board/

I don't believe the other A10 Presidents could be so foolish as to add a festering sore (i.e., BU)into the mix when it has two seemingly stable schools from which to choose. The GW president comes accross as someone who thinks he carries more prestige than he actually does. I'm more worried about the quiet manipulative type (like a Biondi) than the GW President. Those who like to hear themselves talk often end up looking the part of a fool (and the GW president's comments paint him a bit foolish imo).

Now, if for some reason this guy can actually convince enough other administrators to include BU over SLU, we do have a conference problem. As an aside, if he can convince people to add BU at this point, I question the leadership of the A10 enough that I don't know if I'd want to see SLU in that conference anyway. However, I think it would be more beneficial to stay temporarily in the CUSA and really look at the MVC and Horizon. CUSA would still have Memphis and UAB and it would add Tulsa (at least Tulsa used to field a decent BB team every now and again). It could be that by the time SLU is ready to pursue something else, the Big East basketball spin off may occur and offer another option. In any event, I think the MVC or Horizon are options. As to continuing with the on campus facility, I think we need to forge ahead and use it to our advantage in the future. Keep in mind, this isn't SLU saying they want to de-emphasize basketball, it's a rather complicated disassembling of the CUSA that wasn't envisioned.

i dont even want to think about it, but if the worst happens, i would try to get in the horizon before the mvc or the new confederate league.

IF we do get left behind, we most likely will permanently be left behind. i would think it would kill the arena project, and take up out of consideration for future leagues and send up into mid-major oblivion. it is truly "THE WORST CASE".

The Horizon over the MVC? Come on! The Horizon is Butler and everyone else. I really think people here are selling the MVC short. Joining the MVC wouldn't be the death knell to the program everyone is making it out to be - joining the Horizon would. The MVC has built in geographical rivalries for SLU. SLU would be the top dog and get to host the conference tourney every year. They would almost assuredly be in the top 3 annually. You all complain about the bottom feeders of the MVC (Drake, Northern Iowa) but think about Youngstown State, Cleveland State, UWGB and um, who else is even in that conference outside of Butler, Detroit and UW-Milwaukee?

If the MVC were to add Western Kentucky (rumored to want in) it would be a very good conference, at about the same level as the new CUSA or even the A-10 currently. I don't understand the appeal of joining a conference where the closest school is a 6 hour drive away vs. a conference where the furtherst school is 6-7 hours away.

Tulsa ... has been pretty good for a while ... last year at least 1 tourney win maybe 2 anyone remember? I know they were in the tourney the year before also. There is no one in the MVC or the watered down CUSA who can say they have been much better than Tulsa the last 10 years.

Just about everything in print seems to suggest that SLU and Charlotte are as good as in.

With all the talk the president at GW is making about how he wants BU, I think he is seriously risking looking like a real idiot when SLU and Charlotte get approved by votes of 12-0 or 11-1, while BU gets turned down 1-11.

Steve, when the announcement is made, and assuming SLU gets the invite, I think you should make it a point to wear a SLU shirt and walk around campus all day, preferably within close proximity to the Trachtenberg guy.

I actually only have my SluSignGuy shirts with me, and a Billikens hat. I will wear those, how is that (I may look a little funny with Billikens.com on my back when I walk around campus, but who cares)

Steve

Western Kentucky catapaulting the MVC 5 or 6 spots in the conference RPI rankings??????? The MVC could add Duke or Arizona and I still would like the A-10 over them.

This other conference talk is dumb anyways, Horizon, MVC, MAC none of those are going to happen. The A-10 is a done deal.