Majerus on Let's Be Frank Segment

davidnark

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How about the numbers that Weber is recruiting for his '09 class? He is not going to be losing any players on that roster to the NBA. There are three examples without even leaving the bi-state area.

from what i can remember, weber has three seniors leaving. pruitt, randle and walk on hicks. so that leaves him 2 actual spots for next year.

the only recruit for next year that i recall he has signed to a loi is stan simpson from chicago. he has some nice vebals like the head and richards kids, but they are both underclassmen.

he has 6 now juniors on his roster so he has lots of room to recruit high school juniors and below.

from what i can remember, weber has three seniors leaving. pruitt, randle and walk on hicks. so that leaves him 2 actual spots for next year.

the only recruit for next year that i recall he has signed to a loi is stan simpson from chicago. he has some nice vebals like the head and richards kids, but they are both underclassmen.

he has 6 now juniors on his roster so he has lots of room to recruit high school juniors and below.

They actually have 5 juniors becuase Jamar Smith is being redshirted. They have commits in Bertrand, Richardson, Head, Paul, and Legion. They have offers out to Williams, White, Griffey, Colvin, Taylor, and it looks like Cotto. Those numbers don't add up.

They actually have 5 juniors becuase Jamar Smith is being redshirted. They have commits in Bertrand, Richardson, Head, Paul, and Legion. They have offers out to Williams, White, Griffey, Colvin, Taylor, and it looks like Cotto. Those numbers don't add up.

i think head is a sophomore.

smith will be a junior next year. you are correct. holdren is a walk on i believe. so they will have 4 scholarships for the now juniors in high school.

i forgot about legion who would take one of the immediate senior scholarships for next year. in fact, someone else on the current roster must be on walkon or academic status for him to be there now. right now of their 17 players, jeff jordan is on academic scholarship, jackson is on a football scholarship, and i think holdren and hicks are walk ons. someone else must be on walkon or academic or else they would not have been able to take legion, unless legion is paying his own way this semester until randle and pruitt open up a spot for him this summer.

cotto is a senior so depending on the legion thing, you indeed may be right about that. because legion and simpson would be taking the available spots available for next year.

making offers when there are spots available yet, is different than making offers when there are no spots available.

making offers when spots are available can easily be defined as first come first served. even to the point of the loi.

but once the loi's are signed, that is where i got a problem with over commits unless you have an underclassmen like rose or gordon on your roster that is almost assuredly going pro at year end.

so what you are really saying is you dont know of any. and the only other examples others gave were mi$$ouri and siu one time. not every year.

thanks.

I know Pitino has been guilty of this. I believe it was 2 years ago he had 16 players signed to scholarships. Don't ask me how he worked it out but he did.

I know Pitino has been guilty of this. I believe it was 2 years ago he had 16 players signed to scholarships. Don't ask me how he worked it out but he did.

so, in a couple of hours we have pulled together schools such as Louisville, Missouri, SIU-c, Washington and potentially Illinois. I'm sure if we all spent 15-20 minutes googling the topic, we'd find plenty of examples of this happening. I just can't believe this is THAT hard of a pill to swallow.

I can at least understand Majerus yanking the scholarships from Maguire and Knollmeyer. These are guys that Majerus is telling himself he never would have recruited in the first place. They will both play out two years at SLU with little contribution outside of practice (which we need them to conduct this season). Relphorde, if he also gets the boot, bugs me more. Relphorde was signed after Majerus came on board. He's played all of 56 minutes this year (most of it coming the opening weekend of the season). The guy is not athletically challenged like Maguire or Knollmeyer so I don't think he's gotten a fair shake. Maybe Relphorde hangs in there. If he adds some bulk, I think there is a roll for him off the bench. Majerus is going to have a heck of a job trying to integrate the raft of new players he brings in next season. Would be nice to have one big on the roster other than Eberhardt who knows the system.

Guest BillikenReport

jjray,

Marcus Relphorde and Anthony Mitchell both signed with Soderberg was the coach. Barry Eberhardt signed after Majerus was hired.

Relphorde considered opting out of his letter, but decided to stay on.

“I was devastated when I first heard, because Soderberg was a real cool guy,” Relphorde said. “I was really looking forward to the plans he had for the team and everything. I was thinking I was going to opt out (of my letter of intent), but coach (Angres) Thorpe was staying. He talked to me and told me to wait to see who was gonna get the job.

“Once I heard (Rick) Majerus was going to get the job, I was more excited than when Soderberg had it. I know he’s a real good coach, he has a good track record and I know he wins. I was real excited at that point.”

- Nate

jjray,

Marcus Relphorde and Anthony Mitchell both signed with Soderberg was the coach. Barry Eberhardt signed after Majerus was hired.

“I was devastated when I first heard, because Soderberg was a real cool guy,” Relphorde said. “I was really looking forward to the plans he had for the team and everything. I was thinking I was going to opt out (of my letter of intent), but coach (Angres) Thorpe was staying. He talked to me and told me to wait to see who was gonna get the job.

“Once I heard (Rick) Majerus was going to get the job, I was more excited than when Soderberg had it. I know he’s a real good coach, he has a good track record and I know he wins. I was real excited at that point.”

- Nate

I believe you are mistaken, Nate. Mitchell and Relphorde committed when Soderberg was the coach, but he was fired early in April, and Majerus was in place just barely before the beginning of the spring signing period. Relphorde didn't have to sign the letter and could have gone anywhere he wanted without penalty.

I believe you are mistaken, Nate. Mitchell and Relphorde committed when Soderberg was the coach, but he was fired early in April, and Majerus was in place just barely before the beginning of the spring signing period. Relphorde didn't have to sign the letter and could have gone anywhere he wanted without penalty.

You are incorrect. See:

http://slubillikens.cstv.com/sports/m-bask.../041107aac.html

http://slubillikens.cstv.com/sports/m-bask.../041107aaa.html

These are Soderberg's commitments and signees. Majerus inheirited both.

You are incorrect. See:

Then I guess my memory of the timetable of the Soderberg firing and Majerus hiring has been scrambled. My bad.

You are incorrect. See:

I found this quote intersting...

"We are thrilled to announce the addition of Marcus Relphorde," Soderberg said. "Both he and Anthony Mitchell, who signed earlier today, are good enough to immediately compete for starting spots while providing us depth and athleticism - two areas our staff felt needed to be addressed with this recruiting class."

So much for that...

"We are thrilled to announce the addition of Marcus Relphorde," Soderberg said. "Both he and Anthony Mitchell, who signed earlier today, are good enough to immediately compete for starting spots while providing us depth and athleticism - two areas our staff felt needed to be addressed with this recruiting class."

So much for that...

I suppose he had a broad use of the term "compete". <_<

Actually, I think RM was just waiting for the conference season to spring AK, MR, and AM on an unsuspecting A-10. The rest of the A-10 is falling into his trap by not worrying about the Triad of Doom.

So much for that...

Who in the world did he expect those two players to start over? The 2/3 is one of the few areas on this team with depth - TL, KL, Luke and Danny. I think it was really just coach speak on the part of Sodie.

It is telling that Sodie's two signings were wing type players, when our biggest glaring needs were at the 4, 5 and to a lesser extent the point. It highlights that his recruiting was heading nowhere in the spring and we likely would have wound up with the Horace and Obi Show Part II with the remaining schollies and of course, one saved... just in case.

would have wound up with the Horace and Obi Show Part II with the remaining schollies and of course, one saved... just in case.

LOL. I forgot about Brad and his legendary "always want to save a scholarship" approach. It was important to Brad to always have one in his back pocket in case the next superstar decided to transfer to SLU. You never know when the next Obi Okeafor might be available after the spring signing period has closed.

jjray,

OK, I stand corrected on Relphorde's commit.

Frank and Bob's show is on right now on KFNS. Ask Frank the question re: filled scholarships. www.Kfns.com to stream. 314 969 0590.

Remember, Coach's show is tonite as well. 6 pm on KFNS, he takes questions from callers.

All I hear is that inflated bag of crap they call Kevin Slaten???

Lots of PSAs, promos and odd spots playing as of 707. I guess the intern is having a tough time connecting the show for Majerus. Rammer must be fuming.

Oh, and now the Bruce Weber show.... I have no idea whats going on, where is Majerus?

what will be interesting to see is if a player(s) feels that the slu education is more important than playing regularly at northwest institute of basketball of north dakota college. what happens then? right now the roster is full for next year

freshmen thompson, conklin, mitchell, reed and john

sophomores maguire, eckerle, relphorde and mitchell

did Maquire redshirt or is going to be a junior?

i'm glad all the billikens.com lion's had a chance to be fed today and ate very well.

Yeah! Maybe we could bring up Blake Ahearn and beat him to death as well.......

I just cannot believe that any criticism of Majerus equates to pining for Brad. It's hard to imagine that Billikens.com could be less interesting than last year but some of us are sure trying hard......

what will be interesting to see is if a player(s) feels that the slu education is more important than playing regularly at northwest institute of basketball of north dakota college. what happens then? right now the roster is full for next year

freshmen thompson, conklin, mitchell, reed and john

sophomores maguire, eckerle, relphorde and mitchell

junior knollmeyer

seniors lisch, liddell, eberhardt

frank mentioned a couple of times that they are still recruiting and will likley add a few more recruits to the incoming class of five. if frank was truly doing his job and not just doing majerus p.r. he should have asked majerus how he was going to do that with all the scholarships spoken for.

roy, I think it's typical for coaches to cover their bases. Do you know anyone who has been recuited to play a D1 sport? If they're good, they'll typically get letters from a hundred schools and calls from a couple of dozen. It's not uncommon for a football coach to recruit 2 or 3 QBs even if they only plan to take one. Some coaches are upfront, saying things like "we'd like to offer you, but we're waiting for this other player to decide." Others tend to lead players on and never make a real offer. Do you think RM is the only coach out there recruiting when he doesn't have anything open? You always want to plan for a rainy day. Heck, maybe he'll find another guy who doesn't need the scholarship, like John Redden.

• 1 month later...

Yeah! Maybe we could bring up Blake Ahearn and beat him to death as well.......

I just cannot believe that any criticism of Majerus equates to pining for Brad. It's hard to imagine that Billikens.com could be less interesting than last year but some of us are sure trying hard......

Naw! Let's not! He wasn't a good enough player to wear Billiken Blue....Better yet...let's ask Billiken Roy....where's Clark?