Marquette Board

davidlee

I think I said at the beginning of the year that MU was over rated. I believe I said Merritt was soft, that Novak was just another Chris Braun in that he was a 6'10" jump-shooter and that depending on a 6'1" point guard like Travis Deiner was going to be a tough sell. What is happening htere is not surprising.

About the only good thing I've seen is that Mason looks like, with the proper seasoning, a potential nice replacement for Wade. But by then, other replacement parts will be needed. I think MU did not fully understand what Robert Jackson brought to last year's table and just how difficult his talents would be to replace. Merritt and Novak are about hte same player ... more comfortable in a three fole or even a two role than a four or five.

I'm not surprised at the reaction of the Marquette fans to some losses. Fickled fans are everywhere!

Take a look at the current Big East standings. Drop 9th placed Boston College, 12th placed Virginia Tech and 13th placed Miami as they are going to the expanded ACC. Now add Cincy, Louisville, Depaul, Marquette and South Florida for a preview of the expanding Big East. davidlee, as you stated last Fall, Marquette will have some serious work to do match their C-USA success in the expanded Big East.

Say what you want about Marquette and their fans, the atmosphere at Bradley sounded electric on TV. Now, I know a final four will do this for a program, but we've got too get more enthusiastic at our games. Also, MU's unis looked pristene perfect. Very classy. I thought ours were a disgrace yesterday. I can't believe UB isn't going ballistic over this. Even the commentator made a remark the first time Ian went to the line. It looked liked Ian had slept in it.

There are 2 Marquette boards, the one you likely saw (Rivals) and Insiders (MarquetteHoops.com). Most of my friends and I have stopped posting on Rivals as it is a pit of negativity. The most active posters are those who rip Crean and the program even after a win. Many of the most active posters these days didn't emerge until midway though this season. Message boards are funny, people start coming out of the woodwork when things are going bad (the opposite of attendence at games). I highly suggest going to the other board for real info.

It is true that lack of athleticism is really killing MU this season. Teams know that if you push the ball MU is slow to get back on D and easy lay-ups can be had (DePaul and TCU killed MU doing that). Not sure what could have been done last night against Memphis, their 3 point shooting was beyond explaination. They would have beaten anyone playing like that.

Could be another ugly game this Wednesday at SAVVIS. MU is vulnerable to the 3 point shot so Reggie and Fish will need to be on. Funny thing is that both MU and SLU would be top 3 in the Big Ten but because of more athletic players in CUSA their styles seem to hold them back this season.

I saw that game and it was the Sean Banks show. Wow! He was terrific. I have not seen Memphis play that well in a long long time. Maybe it was a one night deal. ?

Memphis was able to dribble penetrate easily, and kick out because of the late help defense from Sanders, Merritt, Novak, etc...They certainly miss Wade's defense as well as Jackson. Novak and Merritt are two totally different players. Merritt is one of those guys who has been the same decent player for four years. Novak is one of the worst defenders on the league, but obviously arguably the league's best shooter. Memphis only dressed 9 guys and ran Marquette to death. Diener is average defender, Novak, a bad one, Mason looks like a typical frosh defender learning....Marquette's problem is defense with athletic, inside/outside teams. Unfortunately for SLU, they don't possess the mismatch in the matchup for Wed. SLU needs to hang around the perimeter for Diener and Novak and let Marquette go inside for points.

UAB, sqeak city, but got a "W", and needed it.

As far as atmosphere and attendance....46-45 isn't going to bring a lot of folks in....SLU is doing what they have to do with what they have to win...for now...but winning, AND being able to play in either the 90's or 50's, and having identifiable players helps.

As much as I don't like it, SLU has imo never lost the label of a commuter or regional school...not saying it isn't academically or can't play it nationally athletically, or isn't even getting a little better with that...but the perception outside of this bubble is still different. DePaul can get away with being in an 8 million people city, and is a very very diverse school, unlike SLU or Marquette.

courtside

"SLU has imo never lost the label of a commuter or regional school". Interesting comments, I know some folks still think that way but I don't think the students do. I had a daughter graduate a year ago and another is a junior and I can assure you neither think of SLU as a commuter school. The regional label I don't think really applies anymore either. It seems like most of my youngest daughter's friends are from outside St. Louis.

I do agree that winning 46-45 is not going to get a lot of people excited about wanting to come watch the Bills. Hopefully in the future with better atheletes the Bills will be scoring more than 46 points to win a game.

I can check on stats etc....if you'd like, but re-read the post....I didn't say SLU IS....just perception outside of the SLU community. I travel a lot, see a lot of other schools, etc...I think SLU has progressed a great great deal.

What else is a student going to do in the winter....especially from out of town??????????? Not go to a hoops game? You have to make it a total STUDENT experience first. Alums, fans etc...take a back seat to the kids. MARKET TO THE KIDS FIRST!!!!!!!!!

>I agree that most people at SLU don't think it is a commuter

>school. The only people close to SLU who seem to still

>think that it is dominantly commuter school are the

>commuters themselves.

Students today may not think of SLU as a communter school BUT older folks do. When I was considering SLU for law school all I heard from friends whom had graduated HS in laste 80's or so, was that SLU was a commuter school in a bad neighborhood. These are folks who went to Catholic high schools and either considered SLU themselves or had friends that went here. It's just a perception that will take a while to change. I know older Marq. grads who still think of MU as being in the ghetto and in a crime ridden area even though it hasn't been like that for a while.

The University has built a lot of additional on-campus housing, more in the form of apartments which are actually pretty darn nice.

As to the perception of being a commuter school, I don't see that perception anymore. Over the past three or four years, I have spent numerous nights calling seniors in high school who have been accepted to the University in an effort to ensure they enroll. These are students interested in a business major and well over 50% are from out of town.

Interestingly, the perception of SLU is overwhelmingly positive and no one ever mentions anything about the commuter aspect, even though the parents I have talked with ask a ton of questions. Don't be mislead by the thought that these people are positive because they or their child APPLIED to the school. Any parent out there knows that most seniors apply to at least several schools, some of which they are excited about and others that are safety-net schools, legacy schools, convenient schools, etc.

I think that the commuter label is primarily from people who went to SLU 20+ years ago and have had little or no involvement with the school since.

I am also surprised by the diversity comment. I have no statistics to back up my opinion, but SLU seems to have a fairly diverse student population, although less so than before the INS crackdown due to 9/11.

That's great that you volunteer to call newly accepted students. Have you noticed more positive responses since the expansion of the business school was completed? I was more than halfway through my MBA when the new building was completed, and it seemed like there was an awful lot of excitement building in the B-School.

The most positive comments come from students/parents who have visited the school. They are typically very, very impressed. Some of them cite the business school, but it is more the general campus. One parent told me that it was very hard to believe that it was possible to create a campus like SLU's in such an urban environment due to the cost (little did he know that much of the surrounding real estate was either undeveloped, under developed or virtually vacant before we bought it). Again, I do not have any statistics, but I would guess that our close ratio on admitted freshmen skyrockets IF they have visited campus.

By the way, I didn't mention this, but a significant portion of the students that I have called have ACT scores over 30, are in the top 10% of their class, and typically have very high GPAs. Very humbling....

Could anyone tell me what percent of SLU undergraduate students come from OUTSIDE of Missouri and the across the river metropolitan STL side or S. Illinois area? Is it over 50%? Last time I heard a figure a few years ago MORE than two thirds of SLU's students were "local." That number is too high for my own personal taste. Has it changed? There should be #s that show how many kids from what states in different geographic regions...etc...

Diversity? I have personally been to schools like DePaul, Villanova, Marquette, Santa Clara, Notre Dame, etc...and so forth. If you isolate the Midwest a bit, IMO SLU and Marquette are not very diverse at all. This is strictly opinion of mine and nothing else. DePaul due to its location, city-size, etc...is much more. Villanova would be similar imo to Marquette and SLU. Sure there are pockets of this and that...but I would be curious of some #s in that too.

I give tours around campus, so I have to know a bunch of random facts for parent questions and the like.

54% of freshman are from outside the metro area. I wasn't given the number on the entire undergraduate population though.

As far as diversity:

70% Caucasian, 7.1% African American, 4.3% Asian, 2.5 Hispanic, 12.2% other, 20.4% not specified. Also, all 50 states and 73 countries are represented.

Relgiously: 43.7% Catholic, 16.5% Protestant, 8.1% other, 11.3% no preference.

Maybe not the most diverse, but probably comparable to universities similar to SLU (like Marquette).

Hope this helps!