BM stirring the pot a bit . . .

jp18

a lot of you that are all over bernie about his journalistic ethics on this issue sure have believed all allong that tdell is tommie's father. i know that i do. he has many time told us tidbits that indeed came true that only someone very very close to tommie would know. imo, if a reporter is monitoring this board (and i am sure that most of the local media does at least give it a peak. where else can they judge the temperture of the billiken fandom any better?) they arent doing their job if they dont turn around and call tdell and ask, "did you say that?"

and if he did, it's a story. i dont like it. but there is no doubt it was the climax of bernie's bits this morning.

when we first read what tdell posted, for the most part, we didnt blame dad. his crime is he loves his son. he wants to see his son succeed and on the surface there is no doubting that tommy's game has suffered from this new regime. but as bernie states in his pressbox forum today, please keep in mind that it is tdell that made these comments and everything we have heard and seen from his son does not indicate he feels the same way. tommie has recognized his shortcomings and his difficulty picking up the denial man to man approach as opposed to soderberg's sagging man to man.

i am tired of hearing about the defense thing. the more puzzling aspect of majerus imo is the now reduction of lisch and liddell in the offensive scheme. for the lesser games like a north carolina a+T and furman's, that shouldnt matter and i think it is great we are building the confidence of others. but i also think if it continues will cost us games against the better more equally matched teams like say missouri state. last time i looked, the a-10 has xavier and the 4 bottom feeders and everyone else in between is a pick em. personally i want lisch and liddell to do all they can to win those games. and by "do all they can" i am not talking about making a chest pass to dwayne polk and then setting a pick away from the ball for bryce husak.

for the long term, what majerus is doing is going to be great for recruiting inside players. it is going to be good for recruiting fundamentally sound athletic guards that want to learn a true motion offense. and i have no doubt that it will win more games than any of us ever dreamed of. i just dont see why some compromises cant be made in order to win as much as possible now. i just dont see why it is ok for dwayne polk to have a 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 stat line but play 37 minutes yet knollmeyer sits because supposedly he wont contribute. imo, his contribution is if he can play 12 minutes a game and commit few mistakes it allows husak and eberhardt to play together and that is the payoff. not knollmeyer's supposed ineffectiveness. i dont understand eckerle playing 30 minutes in a game and the far more athletic and physically stronger mitchell and relphorde barely move. are they that slow to understand? again, you can eventually teach mitchell and relphorde to play basketball, but you cant teach the size and athleticism of mitchell and relphorde to eckerle.

hey paul has far surpassed what i expected. he has done a good job. and i was the first one here when it was rumored his scholarship was a one year deal to say that he should have a scholarship all four years. but my gosh split the back up guard minutes. the others will never get better where they are. one likes to believe that a coach can make players better, but it appears pretty obvious that majerus mission is likely to clear space so he can bring in three more players when it comes to mitchell, relphorde and knollmeyer imo.

my bottom line is this. i am disappointed that the whole liddell thing has happened, but then the way this season is playing out is about as strange as it can get. no questioning majerus record. he knows how to get there. but that doesnt mean there isnt going to be some angst along the way. and we will apparently suffer this year and next for it to come about. hell i have been patiently waiting since 1978 i guess i can wait a little longer. and that is what everyone has to keep in mind. patience. we got a proven ship captain. let's see where it goes. but it will sure make for interesting discussion along the way.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just goes to show Tommie's dad doesn't understand b-ball. This ain't the playground.

you are a jerk.

it shows a parent that love his son and says the wrong thing out of frustration. i would never fault any parent for taking such a stand. i dont agree with it, but i understand it.

a lot of you that are all over bernie about his journalistic ethics on this issue sure have believed all allong that tdell is tommie's father. i know that i do. he has many time told us tidbits that indeed came true that only someone very very close to tommie would know. imo, if a reporter is monitoring this board (and i am sure that most of the local media does at least give it a peak. where else can they judge the temperture of the billiken fandom any better?) they arent doing their job if they dont turn around and call tdell and ask, "did you say that?"

and if he did, it's a story. i dont like it. but there is no doubt it was the climax of bernie's bits this morning.

when we first read what tdell posted, for the most part, we didnt blame dad. his crime is he loves his son. he wants to see his son succeed and on the surface there is no doubting that tommy's game has suffered from this new regime. but as bernie states in his pressbox forum today, please keep in mind that it is tdell that made these comments and everything we have heard and seen from his son does not indicate he feels the same way. tommie has recognized his shortcomings and his difficulty picking up the denial man to man approach as opposed to soderberg's sagging man to man.

i am tired of hearing about the defense thing. the more puzzling aspect of majerus imo is the now reduction of lisch and liddell in the offensive scheme. for the lesser games like a north carolina a+T and furman's, that shouldnt matter and i think it is great we are building the confidence of others. but i also think if it continues will cost us games against the better more equally matched teams like say missouri state. last time i looked, the a-10 has xavier and the 4 bottom feeders and everyone else in between is a pick em. personally i want lisch and liddell to do all they can to win those games. and by "do all they can" i am not talking about making a chest pass to dwayne polk and then setting a pick away from the ball for bryce husak.

for the long term, what majerus is doing is going to be great for recruiting inside players. it is going to be good for recruiting fundamentally sound athletic guards that want to learn a true motion offense. and i have no doubt that it will win more games than any of us ever dreamed of. i just dont see why some compromises cant be made in order to win as much as possible now. i just dont see why it is ok for dwayne polk to have a 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 stat line but play 37 minutes yet knollmeyer sits because supposedly he wont contribute. imo, his contribution is if he can play 12 minutes a game and commit few mistakes it allows husak and eberhardt to play together and that is the payoff. not knollmeyer's supposed ineffectiveness. i dont understand eckerle playing 30 minutes in a game and the far more athletic and physically stronger mitchell and relphorde barely move. are they that slow to understand? again, you can eventually teach mitchell and relphorde to play basketball, but you cant teach the size and athleticism of mitchell and relphorde to eckerle.

hey paul has far surpassed what i expected. he has done a good job. and i was the first one here when it was rumored his scholarship was a one year deal to say that he should have a scholarship all four years. but my gosh split the back up guard minutes. the others will never get better where they are. one likes to believe that a coach can make players better, but it appears pretty obvious that majerus mission is likely to clear space so he can bring in three more players when it comes to mitchell, relphorde and knollmeyer imo.

my bottom line is this. i am disappointed that the whole liddell thing has happened, but then the way this season is playing out is about as strange as it can get. no questioning majerus record. he knows how to get there. but that doesnt mean there isnt going to be some angst along the way. and we will apparently suffer this year and next for it to come about. hell i have been patiently waiting since 1978 i guess i can wait a little longer. and that is what everyone has to keep in mind. patience. we got a proven ship captain. let's see where it goes. but it will sure make for interesting discussion along the way.

I would leave MR off that list. He's played 39 minutes scored 18 pts shooting 58% from the field with 7 rebounds and 3 steals He's been in the game early and played well. I think what he is doing is fine for a freshman back up in his 1st 6 games. If we were getting that from AK, I think we would all feel differently. At this point you can't leave AK in he has played too poorly. I like him and really thought he would play better, lets hope he does. We need him.

I understand all the consequences," Majerus said. "I've done this before, but this time, I have less time. But I'm not as concerned. If someone told me we had to win this year, that for the St. Louis University athletic department everything depended on it, I'd do things dramatically differently. We're setting the tenor and tone for success in the future."

As others have said, we're 4-2, and we've won the ones we were expected to win and lost the ones we were expected (and expecting) to lose. Majerus has proven himself in the past, and quite frankly, we never have. Perhaps we ought to resist any temptation toward instant gratification, and hope that III and Jr. can work their way through the situation so that everyone comes out ahead in the end.

I would leave MR off that list. He's played 39 minutes scored 18 pts shooting 58% from the field with 7 rebounds and 3 steals He's been in the game early and played well. I think what he is doing is fine for a freshman back up in his 1st 6 games. If we were getting that from AK, I think we would all feel differently. At this point you can't leave AK in he has played too poorly. I like him and really thought he would play better, lets hope he does. We need him.

then play relphorde more. use him to sub for husak and eberhardt. but somehow i think husak and eberhardt have to play together so eberhardt can play his best position more than he does now.

Where is the post Bernie was referring to? He later said he wouldn't print it if he hadn't confirmed it was his dad.

SLU-Detroit Game Review

TDELL

View Member Profile

Add as Friend

Send Message

Find Member's Posts Posted on: Nov 16 2007, 02:49 PM

Freshman

Group: Members

Member No.: 100,410

thetorch where did you play college ball, probably no where. This is a new coach with a new system, everybody's saying how good of a coach Majerus is, I dont see it anybody can run around and set screens you dont have to have talent to do that. Majuerus doesn't want any fancy stuff just plain basketball. Tommie played well his first two years now all of a sudden he's not, its not Tommie it's the coach. I'd rather have Sodie.

Forum: Billikens.com Main Board · Post Preview: #139474 · Replies: 33 · Views: 1,033

Bottom line on this whole thread is RM knows better than 99.9% of anyone who loves college hoops what it takes to win at a high level. If TL III isn't buying into that, that's his problem. That's not to say as fans we don't appreciate TL's skills and dedication to this program, but let's get real here, the best hopr we've ever had at real success in about 60 years is with RM at the helm and doing it his way.

then play relphorde more. use him to sub for husak and eberhardt. but somehow i think husak and eberhardt have to play together so eberhardt can play his best position more than he does now.

MR can't play center. He's averaging about 7-8 minutes a game, 6 games into his Freshman season and you write it looks like RM is trying to get rid of him. That's ridiculous. So anyone not averaging 15 mpg as a freshman is being run off. Come on.

I found this to be very irresponsible of BM. Quoting an internet board in his column? We really have no idea if Tdell is TL's dad. He seems to be from past posts but to cite it in a paper as fact has to cross some journalistic line. The only way BM should have opined about that post is if he called TL's dad and got verification he actually wrote it. To me this is akin to BM telling some 14 year old girl she ought to go ahead and meet with a 42 year old pedophile chat room whacko because he says he's 14, a national merit scholar, an eagle boy scout, and president of his teens for Jesus club.

Here in Little Rock, with the main reporter from the local paper has quoted the local Hawg message board as they try to sway the public to get Houston Nutt fired.......

Just goes to show Tommie's dad doesn't understand b-ball. This ain't the playground.

Sorry it shows that Bernie is willing to take a quote out of context and use it for his benefit. One step above the gutter in my book! TDell may have said something based on emotion and frustration, but Bernie had time to think about this and was and is just plain wrong.

I found this to be very irresponsible of BM. Quoting an internet board in his column? We really have no idea if Tdell is TL's dad. He seems to be from past posts but to cite it in a paper as fact has to cross some journalistic line. The only way BM should have opined about that post is if he called TL's dad and got verification he actually wrote it. To me this is akin to BM telling some 14 year old girl she ought to go ahead and meet with a 42 year old pedophile chat room whacko because he says he's 14, a national merit scholar, an eagle boy scout, and president of his teens for Jesus club.

I don't see a connection between BM and a 42 year old pedophile. What's irresponsible is letting posts like this appear on the board.

That said, I've seen many examples of BM stealing material from message boards over the years. There used to be an excellent poster on this board named mookieman. He did a post one time talking about how the NBA needed a developmental league. It was not a common topic at the time. Within 2 days BM had a column about it.

SLU-Detroit Game Review

TDELL

View Member Profile

Add as Friend

Send Message

Find Member's Posts Posted on: Nov 16 2007, 02:49 PM

Freshman

Group: Members

Member No.: 100,410

thetorch where did you play college ball, probably no where. This is a new coach with a new system, everybody's saying how good of a coach Majerus is, I dont see it anybody can run around and set screens you dont have to have talent to do that. Majuerus doesn't want any fancy stuff just plain basketball. Tommie played well his first two years now all of a sudden he's not, its not Tommie it's the coach. I'd rather have Sodie.

Forum: Billikens.com Main Board · Post Preview: #139474 · Replies: 33 · Views: 1,033

Thanks.

I never talked to Bernie about that post, he doesnt know who posted it. My buddy who is ESTLALUMNI on this board couldnt remember his password so I let him use mine.I did read it I didnt think it was a big deal. Lets get one thing straight Tommie loves Majerus what ever I post on here those are my thoughts. Do you guys remember I said I would never post anything negative unless someone else posted it first. That guy Bernie I dont know him and I never talked to him

I never talked to Bernie about that post, he doesnt know who posted it. My buddy who is ESTLALUMNI on this board couldnt remember his password so I let him use mine.I did read it I didnt think it was a big deal. Lets get one thing straight Tommie loves Majerus what ever I post on here those are my thoughts. Do you guys remember I said I would never post anything negative unless someone else posted it first. That guy Bernie I dont know him and I never talked to him

Interesting...this bizarre situation is illustrative of the best and worst side of message boards.

I was just happy to see Tommie excel last night in Majerus's system. I finally saw how Majerus's offense could benefit a player like Tommie. The motion and screens repeatedly created isolation for Tommie that allowed him to create and hit open jumpers.

TDELL we enjoy the insight that you provide. I accept your explanation. I think that some of us took this a little too far (as message board fans tend to do) because of the source. We need to understand that family members and close friends look at things differently than a fan of the program or an alumn would. I witnessed this before as a relative of mine is related to a major league pitcher they agonize over every game and blame set up pitchers and closers if they blow it for him. It is an interesting dynamic as they love the team in so much as the team makes him successful. I can understand it I agonize over every Billiken game but I could only imagine if my son or daughter played. I could really go off like an A Bomb. I actually did once at a 4 yr. old soccer game where they don't even keep score.

Anyway TLIII is back and better than ever and will only keep getting better. I was watching the Texas Tech v. Butler game last night and they were mentioning how Bobby Knight said he was harder on one of his current players than he ever has been on anyone before. That has got to be rough. The annoncers said that is good because if coach ignores you that is when you have a problem.

TDELL we enjoy the insight that you provide. I accept your explanation. I think that some of us took this a little too far (as message board fans tend to do) because of the source. We need to understand that family members and close friends look at things differently than a fan of the program or an alumn would. I witnessed this before as a relative of mine is related to a major league pitcher they agonize over every game and blame set up pitchers and closers if they blow it for him. It is an interesting dynamic as they love the team in so much as the team makes him successful. I can understand it I agonize over every Billiken game but I could only imagine if my son or daughter played. I could really go off like an A Bomb. I actually did once at a 4 yr. old soccer game where they don't even keep score.

Anyway TLIII is back and better than ever and will only keep getting better. I was watching the Texas Tech v. Butler game last night and they were mentioning how Bobby Knight said he was harder on one of his current players than he ever has been on anyone before. That has got to be rough. The annoncers said that is good because if coach ignores you that is when you have a problem.

Bernie could be a little chapped that he and Timmerman's seat assignments were moved away from the Billiken bench. If RM was behind the move, which I heard from a reliable source that he was, maybe Bernie is just looking to stir the pot to get Rick's goat.

Sorry it shows that Bernie is willing to take a quote out of context and use it for his benefit. One step above the gutter in my book! TDell may have said something based on emotion and frustration, but Bernie had time to think about this and was and is just plain wrong.

reporting the facts is just plain wrong?

Bernie Miklasz claimed on his message board that he verified the source of the post. Obviously, someone is lying.

As for borrowing passwords, let's please use the board's "forgot password" feature before we start borrowing other people's usernames. A whole maelstrom could have been avoided.

Bernie Miklasz claimed on his message board that he verified the source of the post. Obviously, someone is lying.

I take it back. I went back and read what Miklasz wrote. He didn't verify the source of the post, but he did verify that the user TDELL is Tommie Liddell Jr. (He could have established that by viewing TDELL's profile [which really isn't definite, as numerous posters have supplied false names], inquiring of the administrator, or reading many past posts to arrive at the same conclusion that the rest of us have.) He didn't claim to have called Liddell Jr and ask him if he wrote the comments about the Liddell-Majerus relationship.

In light of what TDELL has posted this evening, it would be appropriate for Miklasz to issue some sort of correction. It might also be helpful if he spoke to Liddell Jr. for clarification. But no one deliberately lied.

I take it back. I went back and read what Miklasz wrote. He didn't verify the source of the post, but he did verify that the user TDELL is Tommie Liddell Jr. (He could have established that by viewing TDELL's profile [which really isn't definite, as numerous posters have supplied false names], inquiring of the administrator, or reading many past posts to arrive at the same conclusion that the rest of us have.) He didn't claim to have called Liddell Jr and ask him if he wrote the comments about the Liddell-Majerus relationship.

In light of what TDELL has posted this evening, it would be appropriate for Miklasz to issue some sort of correction. It might also be helpful if he spoke to Liddell Jr. for clarification. But no one deliberately lied.

If Bernie didn't talk to Tommie Jr than he deserves an apology. I don't care what century we are in. Internet message boards are not reliable sources of information. Any info garnered from a message board must be backed up by an actual source. Lazy reporting by Bernie. As far as I'm concerned Majerus should ban him from the building.

If Bernie didn't talk to Tommie Jr than he deserves an apology. I don't care what century we are in. Internet message boards are not reliable sources of information. Any info garnered from a message board must be backed up by an actual source. Lazy reporting by Bernie. As far as I'm concerned Majerus should ban him from the building.

if TDELL did loan his password, which I don't believe, why didn't his buddy identify himself. By the time his buddy called TDELL to get his password, he could of had a new password sent to him. I'm not buying that story. Because he is Tommie's dad you guys all want to believe.