meyer article by nate

billiken_roy

Comparisons to David Lee and McKinney, that's pretty strong stuff. And we didn't need to entice him with sexy Gator coeds or promises of future employment as a WalMart exec. Hmmmm. I know this will tick off Cheesycow, but could the transfer UB be hinting at be Mr. McKinney?

Thanks for the article Nate...I believe Bills fans will like Luke...I have watched the Borgia program for many years...They have had good coaching for as long as I can remember...The present coach (Neier) is excellent...Before him, they had a legend (Name Escapes Me), that people in Washington loved...I can remember stories about him letting kids in the gyn on week ends to play.

The only fair comparison I see is on the stats side...total points scored and the fact that all three have a huge passion for bball. Lee has the size and strength. McKinney has 2G or PG size/skills. Meyer is more a SF/2G. All three can score. Which player of the three is most likely will make the jump to the NBA, I'd bet on David Lee.

I don't see David Lee makeing it as a pro. I don't think he's big enough to play inside and doesn't shoot well enough to take it outside. He's a very good college player but I think will be undersized at the next level. If he has an outside shot I haven't seen it.

analysis on a single highschool coaches opinion. I remember a few years ago when McKinney was about to graduate, Desmet's head coach loved to state that Jimmy was the most "complete" St. Louis area ballplayer since Jo-Jo-White. This was going on during the "love-fest" between Desmet and Vashon where neither would criticize the other. Basically, he was saying the Legend wasn't a good shooter.

You can define "complete" anyway you want but clearly Jimmy's career has not been as successful as Larrys. By the same token if we get a Jimmy McKinney or David Lee quality player out of Luke I will be very excited...and surprised. I have high hopes for Luke but not that high.

I have known David for some time and the word I get is that he has decided to come out early for the NBA this year. I agree that he needs to bulk up but I think his all court game may be better suited to the NBA. the problem I see is that he is now playing the 4 and there is no way he has the strength to guard the 4 position in the pros. Also, many of the 4s in the NBA are much taller.

So he has to play the 3 and I have not seen any indication that he has the ability to play defense on an outside player, nor does he have any real range on his shot. He is a classic "tweener" for the pros. If he were from Europe I am sure he would be drafted in the first round because of the mystique and current popularity of foreign players in the NBA.

One wild card in the whole situation is that David has had a very rocky relationship with Donovan--not public but it has been a real problem for him. It will be interesting to see what happens.

I've also heard from a source close to Lee that he will leave Florida after this season. That's not surprising, considering when he was a high school senior he frequently talked about leaving after two years and even slightly (though probably not seriously) considered skipping college.

I've talked to several people about his NBA prospects. It's tough to figure. He is 6-foot-9 and has added muscle and strength, but he still isn't a reliable perimeter shooter. Now, he's probably one of the best passers and rebounders in college basketball for his size and is more athletic than taller forwards, so it's tough to tell how that will translate to the next level.

Hopefully he'll be a late first-round pick and go to a good team where he can prove himself coming off the bench for a couple seasons and have a long NBA career. If he falls to the second round, he might be bouncing around the NBDL and Europe for a couple years.

- Nate

>analysis on a single highschool coaches opinion. I remember

>a few years ago when McKinney was about to graduate,

>Desmet's head coach loved to state that Jimmy was the most

>"complete" St. Louis area ballplayer since Jo-Jo-White. This

>was going on during the "love-fest" between Desmet and

>Vashon where neither would criticize the other. Basically,

>he was saying the Legend wasn't a good shooter.

Kevin Walsh watched Luke Meyer score 76 points in seven quarters last week, so of course the coach is going to be impressed. Walsh has seen a lot of good players come through the Metro Catholic Conference the last few years -- Southwest Missouri State's Blake Ahearn (DeSmet) and Tamar Maclin (CBC) included -- so if the coach says Meyer was as good as those guys than the comment carries some weight.

Meyer isn't as good as David Lee or Jimmy McKinney, but he's definitely impressed a lot of people with the way he has played this year. A very good basketball evaluator told me recently that Borgia only really has "one and a half players," talking about Meyer and sophomore PG Alex Moosmann. For Meyer to average 29 points a game with the entire focus of every team Borgia plays, that's pretty impressive. The way Meyer is piling up points -- knocking down mid-range jumpers and working off screens -- makes those statistics even more impressive. He's not just scoring in the post off of players five inches shorter than him or taking 15 3-pointers a game and knocking down three or four.

Before this season I wondered if Luke was good enough to contribute to SLU early in his college career. After seeing him a couple times this winter, I think he'll be a steady contributor off the bench for four seasons. I don't think he has the "star" potential of a Tommie Liddell or Dwayne Polk, but I think he'll help SLU win games as a role player.

- Nate

Isn't David Lee a senior? I am almost positive he is.

His chances in the NBA IMO, slim and none.

He is a good college player, certainly not great and never came anywhere close to the hype he recieved coming out of HS where he was ranked in the top 5 in his class. He is a tweener. No position, too small and lacks skill sets to be a PF, too slow to guard anyone on the perimeter and has few if any ballhandling skills and his outside shot is non existent. Mark Madsen and Luke Walton barely have hung on in the league and Lee is not as good as them while being a similar player.

david lee is only a junior. i would take him before walton and madsen. he is far more athletic and a better shooter than madsen or walton. fyi to those poohing his shooting, he shoots almost 60% from the field. as a high school senior i thought he was a very good shooter for his size.

kleinschmidt played for depaul and indeed was a starter all four seasons there. and if it is wardle at marquette you are thinking of, he too started all four years i believe.

You are right that he is a junior. I confirmed tonight that he recently was telling people that he was going to declare this year but it may just be talk. I agree he is a much better all around open court player than Walton and Madsen but he is not as strong. He is shooting such a high percentage because he never shoots beyond about 5 feet from the basket. Even in high school he seldom shot from outside although he seemed to be a better free throw shooter then than he is now. I wonder how he will be rated by the scouts.

Even at the college level I don't see Lee as an elite PF. Wouldn't you take Turiaf, Okafor and Gomes before him? Donovan also has a poor track record of preparing guys for the NBA. With all the talent he had there no one has really performed in the league.