Comparing RM and BRAD

jobekwslu

"Perhaps you did not see TL shoot the 3 his first year. Soderberg reworked TL shot and it worked!!"

-Basketbill

Wow, you are so right! Brad is an offensive genius for his work with TL on his 3 pointer. I bet Tommie would have never thought of that on his own. Improved shooting while he grows in his college career, its unheard of... Hopefully the San Antonio Spurs replace Rick Carlisle with Brad to help Tim Duncan on his outside game. Please do not undermine the integrity of our new program with anymore Brad Soderberg compliments. Thank you. Viva Biondi

Thank you for taking such a neutral and thoughtful stance on the issue. Brad sucked. We never did anything with him as the coach. His offense was boring. He is best suited to run a class 1A high school team, that is if Anthony Drejaj is his assistant. If you stick up for Brad Soderberg you must be a Cubs fan. I loved it when Tommie begged and pleaded for Brad to be retained as coach... oh wait. New era, let it go. Dude really sucked.

Why make such ignorant comments? Tommie himself credited Brad with helping him with his shot mechanics. Brad is gone. Why insult the man for something that he did to help one of his players?

Agreed. IMO, no one tried harder to succeed than Brad. Lacking incoming name recognitionm, God-given charisma and proper support from SLU/Fr. Biondi, Brad could not turn SLU's program around and get it done. Even so, Brad had many highlights and accomplishments, including player development. I did not see the potential in IV during those terrible games his Freshman year. 4 fouls in 10 minutes. Brad did and Ian developed tremendously under Brad although his play with the Greek National Team may have been the catalyst. TL and KL both improved as well. Brad deserves considerable credit.

My problem with Brad was his poor recruiting, apparent inflexibility and, quite frankly, his basketball intellect. I am not certain he ranks well or high enough next to his peers in basketball intellect. Truly cannot recall Brad making key moves, defenses, trick plays, schemes and strategies and pulling out many close games via coaching. I may be wrong. With the proper administration support, Brad can and will be successful in Division 1 but, IMO, not high level Division 1. His success will be largely due to his outstanding drive, determination and hard work. As mentioned, no one tries harder. Truly feel bad for Brad and wish Biondi had given him more of a fighting chance.

Brad Soderberg would never land a high profile black recruit ever. Those are the players that bring talent to win championships. TL only because he lives 5 minutes away. Players now go with coaches that are able to relate to them. Look at Bob Huggins. Brad was some bum Christian idealist who sends photo shop edit afro pics of himself to get Scott Suggs, HOW DID WE NOT GET HIM after that? You have to be kidding me. Was he trying to make this program a joke. Small time people land small time players and run small time programs. We were, but no longer..... BECAUSE BRAD IS GONE~!

"Losers whine about trying their best, winners go home and f the prom queen"

Brad Soderberg would never land a high profile black recruit ever. Those are the players that bring talent to win championships. TL only because he lives 5 minutes away. Players now go with coaches that are able to relate to them. Look at Bob Huggins. Brad was some bum Christian idealist who sends photo shop edit afro pics of himself to get Scott Suggs, HOW DID WE NOT GET HIM after that? You have to be kidding me. Was he trying to make this program a joke. Small time people land small time players and run small time programs. We were, but no longer..... BECAUSE BRAD IS GONE~!

"Losers wine about trying their best, winners go home and f the prom queen"

If only you could be gone too!

Get over it. Just because you enjoy the Cubs and losing doesn't mean we all do. I apologize for making valid points. Sorry if it offends you

I'm sure he enjoys "wine" too. Umm...yea, you're not trying to offend anyone. Nope, not trying to get a reaction at all. Mr. Innocent Metz just stating the truth for truth's sake. Riiiiiiight.

Thanks for the spell check "f-a-g". If you knew as much about basketball as you do attacking knowledgeable posters you could work for ESPN or better yet the University News sports section. As for this referencing of other posters... I just joined this site, and your inside jokes mean nothing to me. Was moytoy the name you and Brad Soderberg called each other?

Given your creative inability, I'm a little surprised you keep coming up with new screen names.

Given your creative inability, I'm a little surprised you keep coming up with new screen names.

My name is Kyle Jobe. I live in Edwardsville, Illinois. 21 years old recent SLU grad. I'm not hiding behind anything. Moytoyisahugebitch.... i think that will be my next screen name. Go Rockies. Go RM.

YOU HAVE NO CLASS!

So Kyle Jobe, I take it you've accomplished a lot in your 21 years. Brad worked hard and tried to build an NCAA caliber team. He just didn't accomplish it for many reasons. Damn few of us face the competition in our careers that a D1 coach does. Brad was a nice guy who gave an honest effort, but now he's history. No need to keep bashing him.

So Kyle Jobe, I take it you've accomplished a lot in your 21 years. Brad worked hard and tried to build an NCAA caliber team. He just didn't accomplish it for many reasons. Damn few of us face the competition in our careers that a D1 coach does. Brad was a nice guy who gave an honest effort, but now he's history. No need to keep bashing him.

Kyle Jobe my butt! You're going to have to show me your driver's license before I believe you are anyone but Metz. If you said you were George W. Bush and the secret service came to my house to harass me I'd still say you were Metz. So Kyle Jobe, it was nice knowing you, and pretty impressive that you have your degree at 21. You'll still be banned from this site soon for being a total d-bag.

"Losers whine about trying their best, winners go home and f the prom queen"

You are criticizing Brad for being a " Christian idealist" ???? I thought we were supposed to be a Christian institution....Your comments are pathetic. Brad did a lot of good things while at SLU and shouldn't be trashed. As for Bob Huggins, you can have him. Please leave and never come back. We don't need your garbage.

Agreed. IMO, no one tried harder to succeed than Brad. Lacking incoming name recognitionm, God-given charisma and proper support from SLU/Fr. Biondi, Brad could not turn SLU's program around and get it done. Even so, Brad had many highlights and accomplishments, including player development. I did not see the potential in IV during those terrible games his Freshman year. 4 fouls in 10 minutes. Brad did and Ian developed tremendously under Brad although his play with the Greek National Team may have been the catalyst. TL and KL both improved as well. Brad deserves considerable credit.

My problem with Brad was his poor recruiting, apparent inflexibility and, quite frankly, his basketball intellect. I am not certain he ranks well or high enough next to his peers in basketball intellect. Truly cannot recall Brad making key moves, defenses, trick plays, schemes and strategies and pulling out many close games via coaching. I may be wrong. With the proper administration support, Brad can and will be successful in Division 1 but, IMO, not high level Division 1. His success will be largely due to his outstanding drive, determination and hard work. As mentioned, no one tries harder. Truly feel bad for Brad and wish Biondi had given him more of a fighting chance.

Given your description of Brad's qualities as a coach how can you say that even if Biondi had given him more of a "fighting chance" as you say would have made anything turn out differently - he still would have trouble recruiting and being out coached.

I think you pretty much hit the nail on the head. Outside of the Gonzaga game at the Scottrade Center, it's difficult to come up with many instances in which Brad's decisions and adjustments helped put us in a position to win (and we still didn't even win the Gonzaga game).

I think you pretty much hit the nail on the head. Outside of the Gonzaga game at the Scottrade Center, it's difficult to come up with many instances in which Brad's decisions and adjustments helped put us in a position to win (and we still didn't even win the Gonzaga game).

Whatever it is that winning coaches have, Brad did not possess that. I can't say what the reason was. Some people try and try but just don't make the big time. Early in his career I thought that Brad got more out of lesser talent but that he regressed later on. I don't think anyone can question his values or his work ethic, but it just didn't work here.

Given your description of Brad's qualities as a coach how can you say that even if Biondi had given him more of a "fighting chance" as you say would have made anything turn out differently - he still would have trouble recruiting and being out coached.

Success often leads to and creates additional success. IMO, Brad came real close several times to turning the program around. If Brad had landed a real 4 to contribute 2 years ago, we would have had much needed depth, an inside game other than IV, TL would not have had to rebound but could have been leading/participating in a fast break, LM would have been allowed to play the 3 and give us some additional outside shooting and IV would not have been double and triple teamed.

Maybe its a stretch, but if Brad had even half of what RM now enjoys (facilities next year, increased budgets for assistant coaches, first class travel, strength coach, additional academic advisors...), Brad may have been able to portray an image of top tier program. Maybe just 1 local kid (such as a 4) would have stayed home or 1 other kid decide to come to SLU. Brad was an unproven and unknown HC. With better support from SLU/Fr. Biondi, he may have been able to put 4 stars out on the floor last year instead of 3 (IV, TL and KL). If so, and if the team were just that much better and deeper to overcome KL's injuries and IV's slumps, the team may have made the NCAA, and with that, Brad's reputation would have increased and his deficiencies would have been lessened.

Spoon was a magician with limited talent. Some of that came from being and experienced veteran. Brad did not seem to have that ability. He also lacked the charisma, presence and stature. While he seemed to lack these important qualities and seemed to have less intellect than Spoon or Romar, he was younger, worked harder and, I believe, could have established himself as a Division 1 HC. Many coaches lacking basketball intellect have nontheless succeeded. Larry Finch may have had the worst intellect but he still did well and made the NCAAs. Brad had no margin for error, seemed ever so close but, in the end, just did not get it done here. Best of luck Brad.