Suggs and Brandenburg Info

I was just perusing through the Scout.com site, and there was a new article on Suggs. Not written by Nate, as it appears to be written by the national Scout.com recruiting people. Anyway, the title just says "Scott Suggs names Seven." We've seen similar stuff to this, but I also happened to see that on Scott's profile on Scout.com, SLU is now listed as "No Interest" and seven other schools are listed with interest.

I know Nate posted yesterday that we had a shot at him, but this might not be looking too good. Hopefully Nate is right and we still have a shot at this.

In other news, I saw that John Brandenburg was accepted to Stanford. Good for him!

>I was just perusing through the Scout.com site, and there

>was a new article on Suggs. Not written by Nate, as it

>appears to be written by the national Scout.com recruiting

>people. Anyway, the title just says "Scott Suggs names

>Seven." We've seen similar stuff to this, but I also

>happened to see that on Scott's profile on Scout.com, SLU is

>now listed as "No Interest" and seven other schools are

>listed with interest.

>

>I know Nate posted yesterday that we had a shot at him, but

>this might not be looking too good. Hopefully Nate is right

>and we still have a shot at this.

>

>In other news, I saw that John Brandenburg was accepted to

>Stanford. Good for him!

very impressive for Branderburg. Stanford has a policy now stating that one must be admitted before a prospect can even take an official visit. It used to be acceptance before getting a scholarship offer but that changed about 2 years ago. Trent Johnson also has a nice track record in developing bigs (Fazekes).

>Apparently, that rule is killing Jim Harbaugh, the new

>Cardinal football head coach...poor guy.

I still don't understand why Harbaugh took that job. Look at what it did to Walt Harris. It's not like he forgot how to coach overnight. Stanford basically looks for higher and higher barriers to put in front of their programs, especially football and hoops. The acceptance before a visit came after the new AD came aboard and a couple of prospects got official visits and had no chance of being accepted.

It's been a few years but there was a study a while ago that showed that Stanford had the smallest deviation between average SAT of incoming football players and general students of any I-A football program. Rice, Duke, Northwestern and Vandy were also up there. Just about the entire Big Ten had the greatest gap.

It's nearly impossible to get in there anymore. There is probably some special consideration the committee gives to basketball and football players, but they still have to be very high for athletes.

I learned the hard way that for regular students, a 1450 is not good enough unless you have something out of the ordinary to offer them. Good job to Brandenburg- is it looking like that's where he'll go, or what are his other schools?

if nate says we are still in the running there is no reason not to believe him. if you recall, nate seemed to take great joy in telling us who we were not in the running to get in previous times. so if he says we are still in the running, i believe him.

you all are just going to have to deal with the fact suggs isnt likely to make an early decision. in fact, in my opinion, any early decision would likely be a non-billiken decision. if the billikens win the suggs battle, it will be that wednesday in november press conference with the 4 hats lined up and scott picks up the billiken blue hat and puts it on.

plus look at it this way, if suggs would indeed pick slu early, you can bet a number of these coaches would harrass him to death about it until the signing date. scott could very well see that coming and not want to deal with it until the signing date when nothing can be done about it.

again, if we want suggs, i believe we just got to suck it up and wait. no news is good news.

"you can bet a number of these coaches would harrass him to death about it until the signing date"

Come-on Roy, do you really believe the recruiting "harrassment" would be worse if he oralled to SLU then if he left his recruitment open among 5+ schools?

It seems to me that its pretty easy for any player just to tell the losing coaches that he's no longer interested and never answer a phone call from them again...

I do agree that the nice thing about Suggs is if you hold the last one for him and worst case you have one more player to get next spring when it becomes a little clearer what needs you have position wise. Best case is you have a terriffic player.

>>Apparently, that rule is killing Jim Harbaugh, the new

>>Cardinal football head coach...poor guy.

>

>I still don't understand why Harbaugh took that job. Look

>at what it did to Walt Harris. It's not like he forgot how

>to coach overnight. Stanford basically looks for higher and

>higher barriers to put in front of their programs,

>especially football and hoops. The acceptance before a

>visit came after the new AD came aboard and a couple of

>prospects got official visits and had no chance of being

>accepted.

>

>It's been a few years but there was a study a while ago that

>showed that Stanford had the smallest deviation between

>average SAT of incoming football players and general

>students of any I-A football program. Rice, Duke,

>Northwestern and Vandy were also up there. Just about the

>entire Big Ten had the greatest gap.

Stanford's incredible academic standards and other issues are in attached article below. However, Walt Harris? The same Walt Harris who never lost less than 4 games at Pitt in 8 seasons? The same Walt Harris who didn't get along with many people in multiple stops? Walt Harris was never the answer at Stanford after being shown the door at Pitt.

Harbaugh was head coach at U of San Diego.(a good one btw) Stanford is in the Pac 10, and one of the elite schools in America in academics and sports.(13 straight Sears Director Cups) Accepting the job was a no brainer, despite the different challenges...he is fortunate he got the job.

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c...SPGRQQ6G8V1.DTL

go ask the lisch's how "easy" it was to get illinois to stop pursuit after kevin verballed early. it was nothing close to "easy" and if anything illinois only became more intense.

did a verbal stop unlv from going after liddell?

If Suggs is out, and it's looking that way, I think we should want Roth. Here's a Quote about him at tha NBA Players camp.

"If a three-point shooting contest were to break out during the down periods, Matt Roth of Illinois has to be considered a favorite in the impromptu contest. The long-armed shooter is automatic from deep."

http://rivalshoops.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=685034

And a couple of links for Scott Suggs

http://rivalshoops.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=685185

http://rivalshoops.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=685356

Shoe. Are you kidding?? The pressure to choose a school other than SLU would be enormous!! If an early commit is given to SLU, all of the other schools (with the best programs, coaches, traditions, etc.) would be united on one thing and say something like "SS, I understand you must pick a school, but SLU?? What have they ever done. RM may not be there long because... Had you picked ABC school, I would have been disappointed but at least I would have understood. Please, SS think about it again. For you own sake, I would rather see you go to ABC if you don't come to my school." Coming from all directions, SS would easily and likely think he did mess up. The pressure would be enormous not to change his mind.

Right now, there is no pressure. If Scott wants to play with some friends and be local, SLU is ready for him. If not, good luck to you.

read the second article. 7 schools no SLU. My bet would be Illinois or Washington. It seems he wants BCS exposure. I know Nate keeps saying we're in the mix, but it's looking real iffy. Would love to have Roth in the fold, but we're waiting there as well.

Would be shocked to see him go to Washington. Romar did befriend Scott but cannot see a Midwest kid go to Washington. Too much time has expired between Romar's days in St. Louis and now. Then, again, I have been wrong before.

As to Mizzou, possibly Scott and Bradenburg have other (non-basketball friends) going to Mizzou. Mizzou certainly is more local than Washington, Florida, etc., but cannot see Mizzou for the reason that Mizzou has not gotten many St. Louis kids. By the time Scott were to enroll, Grimes would be gone and Lawrence would be a senior. No other St. Louisans on their roster!! Roundtree to SIUC, Thompson and John to SLU, Brandenburg to Stanford or Wisconsin. Powell (most likely 2 years) and Harrelson (1 year) to JUCO. Where's the other local kids going? Does not appear to be Mizzou.

By comparison, L. Hughes came to SLU with his friends Tatum and Baniak. Before that, Highmark, Claggett, Winfield and Bickel all came together. Usually, if a kid stays local - whether to SLU or Mizzou - he would normally go with at least one other friend? Am I correct? If so, would that "other friend" be Perry? A package deal for some school?

Curious. Where is Perry most likely to go? Could this give an indication as to where Scott may go as well?