Femi John commits to SLU

Guest BillikenReport

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Would he be a better student too? John has the game and the grades, and he's from St. Louis and wanted to come. Its a perfect marriage. This isnt the kind of kid you let walk. Besides, Majerus knows what he's doing. He's added 6 players since he was officially hired April 30th (Eberhart, Thompson, Reed, Mitchell, Eckerle, and John.) Amazing!!!!!!!!

tiger continues to show his arrogant tigerfan attitude. "slu isnt good enough to recruit the level of players that mi$$ouri can recruit". yet he cant comment on how in the world it was possible that slu has outperformed his precious tigers two years in a row.

tiger, again thanks for reminding us why we hate tiger fans.

"Given the above, someone again tell me why we need to add FJ to our list of recruits."

Because we're handing out 6 scholarships this year and he has the body, skill level, attitude and grades to contribute to to this basketball program. We still have at least one more scholarship to target more accomplished shooters (Suggs, Roth).

John is only 16 years old. This kid could be 6'5 210 by the time he reaches campus and he is very close to being a good jump shooter if he can get out of the habit of palming the ball. You don't pass on that kind of opportunity.

>BLaw - thanks for the explanation - never heard any of that

>stuff previously. So, Paul could play one year and then not

>as a sophomore and that would then make him eligible for an

>academic scholarship - correct?

it is a new rule that went into effect last August just for football and basketball (counter sports). Please pardon my error, as at another school I worked at the policy was different (2 years) but unless SLU also differs from the NCAA bylaws Ekerle can get an academic scholarship after one year as long as he gets a 3.3 at SLU (SLU courses only) and that will not count against SLU's aid limits. The burden is on SLU to prove that the award was not given with any consideration of athletic ability and that the award is consistant with all such awards made by the institution. Of course, he does become a walk-on and is subject to the participation limits I mentioned above.

FYI, North Carolina did this with Wes Miller, who transferred from James Madison, went on scholarship as they had an open one, then relinquished his scholarship the next year to bring in a McDonald's AA (his family could afford to pay the tuition, a little harder to do at a private school like SLU).

>I agree - MB is off base unless he can produce other names

>that we were into and if that was so then RM would not have

>taken Femi.

Big men are the key.

No offense to Femi, I have seen him play several times. He is good.

But he is another 'tweener.

With a long, long time to go, I just think we can afford to look for another quality big man. I am happy with the two big men we have, but they are only "verbals" and another one would be optimal, and more time and exposure can yield Majerus big dividends.

Just think we can afford to be greedy.

Names? Not the point, it is June. More names will come.

Have I mentioned there is a long, long time to go?

6'4" 200 lb athletic wings are tweeners? for who the new york knicks?

we have two bigs already committed, we have a sophomore and junior pf already on the roster.

i think the roster mix is pretty darn good.

again, unless you got some names that we truly missed out on, to have held off on the athletic talent and great size that just committed between reed, thompson, mitchell and john imo would have been playing russian roulette. they are far too good of talents to try to keep on the line and waiting. we saw what happened to that way of thinking back in the romar days.

>>I agree - MB is off base unless he can produce other names

>>that we were into and if that was so then RM would not have

>>taken Femi.

>

>

>Big men are the key.

>

>No offense to Femi, I have seen him play several times. He

>is good.

>But he is another 'tweener.

I've never seen John play, just read reports, but from the sounds of it he'll be an excellent role player, which is what every team needs many of, and perhaps could develop into more. You cannot recruit a bunch of stars who expect to the "the man" at the next level and have them be happy - Duke has gotten into trouble with that the past couple of years and trust me, there is a lot of unhappiness on the Duke roster right now. Every team needs that guy who is going to accept his role, do the little things, bring some toughness and make the team better. John sounds like he could be that guy. Plus, he wants to be at SLU, that's a bonus right there.

D1 hoops - the greatest show on earth.

I assume that MO still has the Bright Flight program - 2K per year cash for 4 years, regardless of where you attend college, as long as it's in MO. To qualify, all you need is a 30 on the ACT and attend college full time. Eck gets that, and I don't see how the NCAA can take it away from him.

Billikan, I've agreed with much of what you've said recently and I'm certainly not going to disagree that our seniors to be in highschool are "young players who can develop and get better" :)

I doubt too many seniors to be in highschool don't fit that profile!

You are correct. I guess I should have said players that are already excellent players but who have the attitude and the ability to get better. Some star players come out of high school thinking they are the best thing since sliced bread and they never really get better. It takes a certain mindset to be a star in high school--or in AAU ball--and still understand that you need to work your butt off in college to get better. It seems to me that so far the committed recruits all fall in that latter category and those are the kind of players that RM loves to coach!

forget the Soderberg playbook where we either had no depth nor

coach that could play more than 6 players per game; RM is going

to have a real transition game with 8 or more players involved

FJ is a great get for us. Don't forget, he is local and we need local. Haven't we seen this before ? Local kids getting picked over in favor of similar or lesser out-of-towners. If RM were to pass over him, he goes to Mizzou or Missouri State and has quite a career, this Board would go crazy, disention would fester in the AAU camp....

Don't recruit FJ because he is the same position as A. Mitchell? Are you kidding?? Everything I have read indicates that A. Mitchell is a project but with the potential to be good. One good practice game and now we aren't to recruit this position again?

Please take a break from the kool-aide. RM has done a great job IMO for the 2 or 3 months on the job. With that said, we have long, long way to go. Enough talk about redshirting guys and too much depth. Help appears to be on the way but SLU is still weak on depth and skill and will still struggle for a while.