Femi John commits to SLU

Guest BillikenReport

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, I've never seen Billiken scholarships be taken so quickly! We're going be be out of them before we know it!

"Praises we sing, to you our alma mater,

Praise to the white and blue.

Our hymn shall ring, in tribute strong to you,

We hail Saint Louis U."

Official Billikens.com sponsor of Andrew Latimer

Another good get for RM. Another kid that was being recruited by the MVC. I have been called every name in the book for saying what kind of recruits you will get. Good mid range game, needs to work on his defense. Not a great ball handler and has a great college body.

so lets break it down 2 more schollys to give unless someone (AK or DM) transfers possible targets

Perry (Grades?)

Suggs (uphill battle)

Roth

Eckerle could stay or

Harrellson

obviously everyone wants suggs but my guess is that we end up with eckerle and someone else but I still pray for suggs

Suggs of course would be a tremendous get. But assumming he goes elsewhere I say let's get another big. With the 3 point line moving out in college ball, I think teams more then ever need to be able to score in the paint. How much is the 3 point line moving back, 9 inches? I think this will affect 3 point percentages more than people think plus it will open up the lanes for guys who can take the ball inside. Let's get a big guy that can put the ball on the floor, hit the mid-range shot or take it to the basket. If we have two scholarships to give then let's at least get a guard that can play the point in a pinch as well as shoot the 3.

With the 3pt line moving back, you will need a dead eye from long range more than ever - Roth seems to be that guy. We had 6 schollies and 4 have been accepted. We still have 2 - one for Suggs and one for Roth. Whether Paul E stays or not, RM has to shoot for these two. I still have not yet understood the Paul E schollie - he was coming to SLU anyway on an academic scholarship and was willing to walk on - can somebody please explain why he was given an athletic schollie? I am not knocking the kid just still somewhat confused.

Not going to assume anything about Suggs. Scott has seen all these kids play he will know what talent the other schools that are recruiting him have. He would join what is likely to be the most talented Bills team in history. That and he could play in front of his friends and family.......

>With the 3pt line moving back, you will need a dead eye from

>long range more than ever - Roth seems to be that guy. We

>had 6 schollies and 4 have been accepted. We still have 2 -

>one for Suggs and one for Roth. Whether Paul E stays or

>not, RM has to shoot for these two. I still have not yet

>understood the Paul E schollie - he was coming to SLU anyway

>on an academic scholarship and was willing to walk on - can

>somebody please explain why he was given an athletic

>schollie? I am not knocking the kid just still somewhat

>confused.

If he is a walk-on then he cannot use the team facilities during the offseason to work out, cannot work with coaches until practice starts and during the season has to pay for training table meals (not sure if SLU has done training table in the past but we can be Majerus will have that). He'd have to work out at Simon Rec on his own time and under no supervision. Being on athletic scholarship he can work with the coaches now and use the athletic facilities.

Also, he cannot get an academic scholarship until he's completed 2 years at SLU now that he is on athletic scholarship and was recruited. A SA must earn a minimum of a 3.3 at awarding institution (SLU) in order to be moved from an athletic to an acedemic scholarship AND the scholarship must be equal to what other general students would get based on their qualifications (this is to prevent a kid with a 3.3 from getting a full-ride).

>so lets break it down 2 more schollys to give unless someone

>(AK or DM) transfers

One scholarship left to give -- not two. Let's break it down:

2008 - Bryce Husak

2008 - Dwayne Polk

2008 - Luke Meyer

2008 - Danny Brown

2009 - Tommie Liddell

2009 - Kevin Lisch

2009 - Barry Eberhardt

2010 - Dustin Maguire

2010 - Adam Knollmeyer

2011 - Anthony Mitchell

2011 - Marcus Relphorde

2011 - Paul Eckerle

#### - (one open scholarship for 2007-08)

2012 - Brett Thompson

2012 - Willie Reed

2012 - Kwamain Mitchell

2012 - Femi John

#### - (one open scholarship remaining)

So, unless Eckerle relinquishes his scholarship or someone transfers our (or turns pro), there's only one scholarship left to award. I think that Scott Suggs is our top choice, and Josh Harrellson is "plan B." I'm not a fan of asking Eckerle to give up his chance to be a full member of the team. With the addition of A. Mitchell and Eckerle, the 2007-08 squad is automatically tougher than last year's, which obviously missed Anthony Drejaj.

Its not Eckerle's choice. It's coach Majerus'. This was a courteous gesture to give a kid a schollie who was going to walk-on anyway. Majerus isnt taking anything away from Eckerle if he pulls his schollie, he gave him a free year of school. He's being a good guy already by giving him a free year of school. If Roth does commit, forget about Suggs. Mitchell, Relphorde, and Eckerle in 2007, and Mitchell, John, and Roth in 2008 would mean 6 perimeter players in 2 classes, including his. Landing Roth would close the book on Suggs in my opinion. If you get Roth, I say sign Harrellson in the spring or let the scholarship roll over. I would love to have Harrellson though and could settle for only having 3 scholarships for 2009.

"I'm not a fan of asking Eckerle to give up his chance to be a full member of the team"

Would you be a fan of a player that has already agreed to walk-on being offered a scholarship for the first year because one is currently unused and it makes no sense to remain unused?

As long as everything has been laid out fairly to Eckerle and from some of his quotes on billikenreport.com it seems obvious to me he understands the deal, then this is a no-lose situation for everyone.

Law, I'm not saying you are wrong but this quote from Eckerle certainly doesn't support your two year statement...

“I’m on athletic scholarship,†he said. “If they decide not to renew the athletic scholarship, I can go on the academic scholarship after that.â€

Pure speculation here, but I know when Luke Meyer started at SLU he had enough credits that transferred over from highschool that he was considered a sophomore in academia before he even stepped on campus. How does your rule work if Eckerle is considered a junior by the end of his first year?

Also pure speculation...none of us know what size scholarship Eckerle was on but my recollection that the 2nd best academic scholly available was essentially a "half-off" deal. If this is what PE was on, he'd still come out even if he takes the full athletic for a year and had to pay the full amount his second year. The 3.3 GPA is meaningless as any person on an academic scholly also has a similar GPA requirement...

Guest BillikenReport

SLU is still recruiting a couple different kids in the Class of 2008, including Scott Suggs, Matt Roth and Jesse Perry. As far as I know, those three have offers, but there are other kids who could get offers soon.

- Nate