Femi John commits to SLU

Guest BillikenReport

>V, what is your 2009 wish list?

Assuming we have 3 scholarships, I want

Tyler Griffey 6'8 SF/PF

Richard Anderson 6'8 PF/C

Bryant Allen 6'0 PG/SG

If we have 4 you can add Jeremy Felton to the list or Leon Powell if he has no other choice beside Junior College. For 2008, SLU NEEDS to sign a JUCO big man because when the 2008-2009 season comes around, only Knollmeyer, Thompson, and Reed will be on the interior. You need more depth. Whether the JUCO is Harrellson who would be a sophomore and wants to come or some higher rated JUCO that will be a junior, I think this is a need that is being overlooked. Just my opinion.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

With the Mitchell's, Relphorde, John, Maguire, and Eckerle, I dont see the need for another wing in Perry, but if he wants to come, the more the merrier. He would need to put on some serious weight though and be a pf, because Knollmeyer, Reed, and Thompson will be the only bigs on campus when he arrives and that's not enough depth.

This is a very nice commitment and I think he will fit in perfectly with coach M. During a recent conversation, he said that he liked to coach players who had upside and did not think that they were finished with their development--another way of saying he did not like players who would not listen and try to get better. John seems to be the kind of player who is good now and could be much better in the future. Very nice. Thanks, Nate for your regular reports!

Here is the story on Eckerle as I heard it and I believe my source to be very good.

PE is a very serious student. He is not 100% convinced playing basketball will allow him to excel in the classroom (pre-med) the way he wants and expects himself to. He has accepted an athletic scholarship for his freshman year. After the season, PE will decide whether he wants to continue playing basketball and the coaching staff will determine if he will continue on scholarship. There is a clear understanding on both sides that there are no guarantees after that first year.

SLU had the scholarship to give, so there is no risk on their part. PE was going to SLU either way and had already made the decision that he was willing to walk away from basketball, so there is little risk on his part.

Further, my understanding is that PE is paying for school himself and his academic scholarship is NOT a full ride. So I'm sure the additional scholarship money will be appreciated.

I know it is hard for most of us to understand that an 18 year old with the ability to play D1 basketball would be willing to stop playing because he was more concerned about his education. But in this case, that is truly the situation. I think it says alot about his maturity level.

He used to play for Hazelwood Central, transferred from Western Illinois to JUCO. I dont really think SLU will recruit him just thought he'd be a fun name throw out there. Prior to the John commitment earlier today, I thought he'd be a player to watch. He'll be suiting up at SMS West Plains CC this year.

Who said every scholarship has to go to a kid from the St. Louis metro area?

RM has developed a few international kids and has connections all over the country.

Also, who says a Division 1 transfer doesnt come available....that would certainly help balance out the classes...

If you have 10 local kids on the team, some arent gonna play...which becomes a big problem too because each of them has people that think that they are "the man"

kshoe, you do know that billiken law was on the slu compliance staff at one time? while i have been critical of law at billikens.com, i would not debate him on a compliance issue. i appreciate the insight to a question that has bothered me from the day that eckerle was awarded the scholarship offer. my guess is that eckerle is a four year athletic scholarship.

So you would be feel better if he just came as a walk-on as planned and was never given a free year by Majerus. That would make you feel better. Eckerle got a 32 on the ACT. He understands the deal and is likely very happy with his current situation. He's pre-med, meaning he will be in school long after he is done playing basketball. Any free money is likely welcomed.

i never said that. i am greatly encouraged about eckerle after the all star game this past weekend.

both he and anthony mitchell played very well by all accounts i read.

that said, i do not believe in yanking scholarships. and if billiken law's account is correct, eckerle will need to stay on athletic scholarship or else pay his own way his sophomore year. and after that might only be able to get tuition if his academic standings do not dictate his getting more money. he also will be limited to the extent of practice and facilities use he can have. imo, that equates to the need to keep him on an athletic scholarship.

is that bad? if it ultimately keeps us from being able to get a scott suggs or the perry kid then i would indeed be disappointed. but i am never in favor of running players off. slu should always be more integrious than that.

please list the players that brad got that were not mvc worthy.

also please define "struggled".

if the billikens "struggled" the last couple of seasons, how would you define your poor ole tigers who were worse?

Was very happy to read the all-star game thread about how well PE and AM played and especially how good A. Mitchell appears to be. It seems like his outside shot is better than advertised and he is an aggressive defender/rebounder/slasher.

Given the above, someone again tell me why we need to add FJ to our list of recruits. What does he bring to the table that is SIGNIFICANTLY different and better than A. Mitchell who was already on board. They seem very similar and guys who would not play on the floor at the same time. It continues to seem to me like we should have used the FJ scholarship on a different type player, e.g. a combo 1/2 or a 3/4 combo.

Thoughts?

>that said, i do not believe in yanking scholarships. and if

>billiken law's account is correct, eckerle will need to stay

>on athletic scholarship or else pay his own way his

>sophomore year.

It isn't "pulling a scholarship" if the deal cut between the coach and player is that the player would be on scholarship for only one year.

bauman i think with both john and mitchell you have players with extremely high potential ceilings that you just hate to look back in four years and ask "why did we let him get away?"

i too would not have minded getting another polished point guard, but i am guessing that the athleticism won out. one thing i think we are seeing is that by stocking up on good strong athletic guards, our defensive effort has to go up plus it would seem to lead our future ability to also become that team that can press and/or run more effectively than maybe any billiken team we have ever had.

last, i cant help but think about our worst beatings last year, texas A&m, george washington, Xavier there, we just didnt have the guard depth to withstand those teams.

stock up.

>Was very happy to read the all-star game thread about how

>well PE and AM played and especially how good A. Mitchell

>appears to be. It seems like his outside shot is better

>than advertised and he is an aggressive

>defender/rebounder/slasher.

>

>Given the above, someone again tell me why we need to add FJ

>to our list of recruits. What does he bring to the table

>that is SIGNIFICANTLY different and better than A. Mitchell

>who was already on board. They seem very similar and guys

>who would not play on the floor at the same time. It

>continues to seem to me like we should have used the FJ

>scholarship on a different type player, e.g. a combo 1/2 or

>a 3/4 combo.

>

>Thoughts?

Mitchell is a slasher who can shoot a little. John is a shooter who can use his body to slash sometimes. They have some of the same skills, but they have different primary objectives.

I'm not sure how many times this can be debated but this is not your normal situation as far as pulling a scholarship goes.

Read's House's post above if you don't believe me.

Eckerle had decided to walk on. He was on an academic scholarship (my best guess is the half-off" one). We told him he could have a full year scholly and see how it goes. Even if he has to pay for the 2nd year all by himself that is essentially the same thing. The GPA thing makes no difference since you need to keep a certain GPA to keep the academic scholly in the first place. If he only gets the athletic scholly for one year its a no harm no foul situation.

This is not a "running off" situation no matter how many times you try to make it into one.

If you mean a few select kids(Tatum, Shaw and Ahearn) then you have a slight point. If you mean kids that are making up the majority of the rosters in the MVC, I don't want those kids and niether should RM. The regular run of the mill MVC player will not do a damn bit of good in getting us where we want to be.

Guest BillikenReport

>Mitchell is a slasher who can shoot a little. John is a

>shooter who can use his body to slash sometimes. They have

>some of the same skills, but they have different primary

>objectives.

This isn't a bad summary of the two players.

Femi John is a much more polished player at the same stage, though I think he's going to get a lot better down the road. The kid had scholarship offers before his junior season, which means college coaches were sold on him then.

Mitchell didn't get offers until the middle of his senior season, coming on as a late bloomer.

John is also a very good student, so he's exactly the kind of kid you have to get at SLU if you can.

I've said several times John needs to get more consistent with his jumper and it appears that he is doing that. I saw him hit six or seven 3-pointers in a game yesterday at West Pine and one person who was watching said John had 23 points in the second half.

So in two games I watched this weekend, John had about 30 points in each. The first game he did it by slashing to the hoop, scoring inside and on the break. The second game he did it mostly by hitting 3-pointers and then driving to the hoop when he needed to.

That was good to see. John has improved since last season, and he was good last season.

And if you already have a kid like A. Mitchell, you need more kids like Femi. You need to add as much talent to the roster as you can. Let the players fight it out for playing time and push each other to get better. The best players will play.

In past seasons, you haven't had enough depth for that to be the case.

- Nate