When is Danny Brown expected back?

VTIME

I hope no medical redshirt is offered. No offense to Danny, but I'd rather see DB help this year - even if only part of the season - since we will need all the help we can this year. Next year, we will have 6 new guys and don't want to see minutes taken away from them and given to DB.

For Danny Brown to "help," in any year, some sort of marked improvement is going to be needed. Given that he is laid up (I assume) due to the surgery or injury or whatever, I sincerely doubt improvement or help is on the way.

In the last game last year, when we had Polk and Brown on the floor in Atlantic City against GeeDub, the Colonials essentially were playing 5-on-3 on their defensive end. Brown and Polk were such ofensive options that covering them wasn't even necessary. Neither even seemed to want the ball on the offensive end because it was a turnover waiting to happen.

With both being seniors, I'm not expecting much. But given that Majerus is a shot in the arm for the program, maybe he can use that to translate into improvement from these two. If not, can 'em and give the developmental game time minutes to Relaphorde, Mitchell, Eckerle, Knollmeyer and Maguire.

Another reason you have to like the Mitchell signing .... a real point guard, not one who played shooting guard (Polk) or small forward (Perry) in high school and has to be retrained.

Always thought DB would turn out to be more of a factor than he has. He had some games that gave glimpses into his ability to score. However, last year he was an ATM (automatic turnover machine) all the defender had to do was press a few buttons and zip the ball came right to them. DB was another of UB's late spring signings and we need higher level talent. Sounds cold but am hoping this is DB's last year in Billiken Blue no matter when he returns. I hope he is not given a redshirt year. It's more important we find out what DM, MR, and AM are going to bring to the party.

soderberg told us at the end of the season banquet that danny brown's knee was so bad that the team surgeon compared his knee condition to that of a 10 year nba veteran. just wore out.

my hope is that the knee surgery will give danny the revitalization of his early days to indeed become a factor again. that alone would compare to "improvement" for danny brown as a billiken.

as to him taking a medical redshirt, i am with tower, if he contributes we need it to be now. not the season our roster is going to be flooded with new extremely talented players. soderberg said the expectation was a full recovery by the beginning of the school year so there is no reason to not believe danny will be ready to go full speed by the middle of october.

I agree - no offense intended to Danny since I believe he has done his best or at least tried to do his best - the sooner we can get his schollie available for a new player that RM recruits the better off the program is. It is not like he is a sophomore and people are dishing him. He has been given chances to show his stuff - I understand about his injury and that is regrettable but also just life. I hope he has a great senior year but I want it to be this season not the next.

Danny is a great guy who has worked really hard. Lots of guys love to take potshots at a guy like Danny but I doubt if any of them played much Division I ball.

As for his knee, Danny told me that he was in so much anguish last year that he could barely jump without serious pain. It has been pretty bad for about 2 years now, but especially bad after about December of this past season. He fought through it and kept battling. He got so used to playing with intensive, chronic pain that he almost forgot what it was like to be in good shape. He never really complained about this publicly so its effect on his game was never considered, like when certain guys say vicious things about a player.

Danny has no desire to red-shirt and I think getting him back in practice by December, or for the conference schedule, is probably realistic. And thanks for playing hard a giving your heart to the team, Danny.

I really think what you say in a noisy sports bar to your buddies is one thing, but this is a public space and I really think some of you ought to use a little more judgment and tact in what gets said on here. I think one can make observations without being petty and mean-spirited.

So lay off our hard-working players, like my man Danny B.

I don't remember many knocking Danny Brown's effort. I do remember him frequently being criticized because he doesn't stay focused on the court.

If we haven't played D1 we can't post negative observations?

Can you post your email addy so we can run what we may want to pst by you?

Danny has not been good as a Bill. He doesn't shoot well, can't handle the ball without turning it over often, and doesn't play good D. Is that criticism or is it a vicious attack. I want to make sure in the future I stay within your preset guidelines.

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H Waldman

Official Sponser of the Stemmler and Ahearn could and would have helped club.

Preseason Fall 2005, Danny Brown was being praised for earning a starting spot as a sophomore, and was touted as the best athlete on a team that included Tommie Liddell. He lead the team in scoring the first game of the season. After that his play tailed off for whatever reason. I would not say he has been bad as a Billiken. He's had one bad year, his junior year. Freshman year he exceeded expectations and sophomore year, but wasnt disappointing, it just wasnt meant for him to start anyway. Lisch should've been starting and with Brown as the opening day starter, expectations were raised that he couldnt live up to. If Lisch had've been penciled in as the starter and Danny contributed the same input he gave, I dont think many would have complained.

hahaha, as i recall... you used to get ultra upset when i used to criticize soderberg, so i ask you... "If we haven't played D1 we can't post negative observations?".. but, that is besides the point.

about danny.. i think he has alot of talent, but for one reason or another.. he was either under coached during soderbergs tenure, or he was not used in accordance to his talents. you have to understand that he is a natural wing, a slasher.. and unfortunately, in soderberg's offense.. there was none of that; in fact, there was no movement whatsoever. i also believe that danny easily has the quickest first step in comparison to anybody on our team. if he is healthy, i would love to see him come back and play his last season under a scholarship and he will most likely succeed under majerus' guidence. on a side note.. it is very hard for me to root against the guy. if anybody here has talked to him, or had a class with him, you would truly know what a good person he is. in addition, he is so smart... i had a calc. class with him a couple of years ago, and he is as sharp as a knife. with that in mind, i think he represents everything that we want at slu, and i think he can be an adequete bball player in this new system. most disagree, but i love the guy, and he has had a few flashes of decency over the past couple of years.

Mea culpa's for my labeling DB an ATM. Like I said, I always thought he was going to turn out to be a solid pickup by UB. But last year one shuddered when he had the ball in his hands, of course, we didn't know about the knee, but UB must have. Why didn't he sit him?

>Mea culpa's for my labeling DB an ATM. Like I said, I always

>thought he was going to turn out to be a solid pickup by UB.

>But last year one shuddered when he had the ball in his

>hands, of course, we didn't know about the knee, but UB must

>have. Why didn't he sit him?

The fact that Danny was out there with a bad knee is a symptom of Brad's lack of recruiting any depth at all. One still wonders why Dustin got zero PT. Surely he was better than a one-legged Brown.....

DB's minutes despite not being at full speed were a reflection of the lack of adequate backup talent last season. Not wishing anything bad for him but if he is not significantly better this year, his playing time will probably be appropriately limited.

... is part of being a public figure and whether you like it or not, some positions are more public than others. Being a basketball player on a Division 1 hoops teams is a public position. You will get praise and you will get derision. Comes with the territory. If you're not thick-skinned enough to take it, then step out of the limelight and head back into the shadows.

The only suspect negative comment I see above is where '72 might have called him by an acronyn --- ATM. I don't consider that too, too tough because for the most part it seems factual. Injury or not, it is what it is. No one really took disparaging comments to DB, but to me, if he comes out this coming year and doesn't maintain something of consistency, I'd move on. I, however, do not coach this team so who cares what I say. But why pump up a one-year asset when it might be better to cut bait and give that time to a four-year or three-year asset where it might pay some dividends down that road? I remember Deane at Marquette having an all-conference point guard in a senior .... I think his name was Miller or something. Yet halfway through that guy's senior season, through no real fault of his own, Miller lost his job to Aaron Hutchins, a freshman point. I'm not advocating cutting upperclassemen off at the knees for no reason, and Deane was about one of the worst coaches I can remember, but at some point, for consistency and continuity sake, you usher out the old and welcome in the new.

As a four-year guy, I'm all for giving DB his chance at the start of this season, whether its the first game or four or five games into December. But after three years of observable behavior and current results, the idea that somewhere along the line - BaBOOM - DB turns into DWade, well, I sincerely doubt it.

I have to wonder how much of DB's problem was the fact of who he was playing for. Same with JJ. Sodie's offense didn't seem to be the kind that focus on taking the advantage of slashers and athletic types. Guys like DB and JJ would pull the bonehead play and then were on the bench for the remainder of the game. The fact that JJ stuck this out for five years speaks volumes for the guy's character I guess but that's not to defend JJ. Brown seemed to get yanked much more early on ... and when the bench shortened with Obi and Dixon hitting the road, he stayed out there longer. But he was nothing in AC last year.

If that's because of an injury so be it, but if he was "peak" before that, well, let's just say it wasn't much. Play the kids. The future seems brighter that way anyway.

If idiots in cyberspace on a chat board upset you, then you need to find a different calling. For the money he's making, Roger Clemens should throw a perfect game each time out in my book. Not even allow a loud foul ball. For $27 million or whatever for 8 months or so of work, dnag straight. Not the same with DB, a much lesser scope, but similar thought patterns.

if you were replying to my post, i do not have anything to offer you besides the fact that you misunderstood what i had to say. i did not say anything (in regards to danny) about what others had to say about him. i simply stated my two cents, so to say that i was 'upset' because i said some positive things about danny to the contrary of the common opinion around here is.... well... illogical. and who said he would become d wade??? i said i think he can succeed, no more, no less.

I agree about DB, Mr. KIA. Always thought he'd one day be a player. Who knows maybe it was UB and the fact that players like DB and JJ always seemed to play with that deer in the headlights look because of UB's quick hook after one mistake. DB has had a few good games for the Bills where he demonstrated he could fill it up. JJ had games where it looked like he'd made a breakthrough. But it was never there night after night, or even night after every other night. Hopefully, he makes a full recovery. Hopefully, RM sees something in him. Hopefully, he becomes an effective 7 or 8 man off the bench. But if not, then it's time for him to cheer us on much like JJ did his senior year.

... was mostly to Doc B. And its essentially this ... if you're in the public eye and don't want to know or can't handle what's being said about you, don't read the papers, watch the news or read web blogs. That's it. I don't know Danny from Adam, and if I was in a conversation and someone told me he was an axe murderer, so be it. If someone told me he was a saint and helped old ladies across Grand at rush hour, so be it. Their opinion does not become mine until I form one of my own.

I have some (very minor) experience with playing college sports. I know (a little). But today is what it is ... I suspect that if the internet was around in my days, there would be many YouTube clips out there that we would not be proud of. I saw a show where the comdienne, Kathy Griffin, was quoted as saying she does not do internet boards because she was raised right ... she only talks about people when they are not in the room and its behind their back. The internet just makes that kind of old-fashioned cliche obsolete today.

I read about myself almost every day in the press. It took a long time for me to realize how to seperate the public me from the private me. You have t ignore it and move on. If there is someone you feel you want to fight, you fight. But you pick your battles.

Guys, I think you are reading my post selectively and missing the spirit of what i am saying (and I do not mean everyone, just some). Imagine my surprise!

The keywords are: potshots, petty, and mean-spirited. One can be critical and analytical without resorting to meanness and nastiness, though current sports media does not show that very well. All I am saying is, why not just avoid those kinds of shallow and stupid attitudes-- especially toward our own players??

If the shoe fits, wear it. If you are not mean and petty in your comments, then maybe the post is not directed at you. If you have been guilty of mean and stupid attacks on real human beings who may occasionally read this board, then just rethink what you are projecting.

I am assuming almost everyone on here would agree with 2 things: 1) there is no need for meanness and nastiness in a public forum like this, despite what talk radio, presidential campaigns, and other idiot media model; and 2) there have been mean and nasty comments made on here by SOME about out players (like Danny Brown, a really great guy), and as a group we should be a little classy, not put up with it, and call it what it is. Is that so subversive??

Just use a little common sense and imagine your own son reading about himself on here. Does anyone disagree with this much? If so I would imagine you have on occasion been mean, and so will respond with disgust and moral outrage about my vain attempts to "censor" you, or something along those lines. Let the rain begin.

You didn't criticize. You went far beyond

He's a slasher? I don't know Danny and haven't said he is lazy or a bum or made it personal at all. But the fact is Danny has not played well. When he drives to the basket he is great at getting to the rim, he just can't finish. One day he will go 3-5 from the 3, the next 5 games he will go 3-5 with the 3 being airballs. He turns the ball over consistently. I don't think it is a talent issue. I think it is a concentration or confidence issue.

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H Waldman

Official Sponser of the Stemmler and Ahearn could and would have helped club.