Leader Emerges for Assistant Coach's job

please, no. This is the dude who was giving money to people to pass off to players at OSU - HBO Real Sports had a big feature on it. We already have Majerus with violations in his past, this would not be good. There must be many other highly qualified candidates without this guy's baggage.

Do you know anything about this man? He may be a good guy who got caught up in the O'Brien issues. Obviously, if Rick is thinking of hiring him he must believe that he will be totally clean in his efforts to recruit. He does fit the description of the background of what Rick said he wanted to add to the staff-- a former division 1 head coach. I trust the coach that he would not hire someone unless he felt that he could trust him not to create problems for the team or the school.

it's coach rick's circus. i am sure biondi wont let him cross the line. if he does, they will pull the tent.

I know O'Brien had issues for helping the family of a foreign recruit who was in a bad situation. I'm not saying it is right and there are plenty of American recruits whose families are in bad situations too so that line can't be crossed. I'm not too familiar with the situation though. If it was a bad situation I would rather get someone else. I can brush off the Majerus violations but two guys with minor violations on the same staff and I don't know how much I can defend them.

I do like the pedigree. Working at Scout would give him access to lots of HS/AAU coaches and players and could pay big dividends.

Anyone more familiar with the violations want to shed some light on this? What happened to the former Bradley HC?

There were more to the Majerus violations than what was reported - they weren't "minor." The NCAA doesn't give 3 years probation for buying kids pizza and burgers. The situation with this guy at Ohio State was bad enough that the NCAA banned him from recruiting for a year and Wright State fired him. He was giving money to a player, Boban Sobovic (sp?) and according to HBO Real Sports, arranging to have the kid's schoolwork done by others to keep him eligible. The OSU violations weren't minor either, they were enough to vacate the 1999 Final Four appearance and force the school to give back $800,000.

Not sure what you mean when referring to the former Bradley HC.

Biancardi, according to my Buckeye sources, masterminded the Sobovich affair, ie funneled him the booster money and made the living arrangements for the woman who did his papers. I can't speak to RM's transgressions, but this does not sound healthy and flies in the face of all SLU stands for. That said, let's hope Biondi and CL put RM on a pretty short leash. We always wanted big time, I hope this isn't a case of be careful of getting what you wished for.

This is an interesting piece just from the timing of it. No mention of SLU or RM. Also, Biancardi cannot, according to Dickie, play any role in recruiting, but instead be a director of Basketball operations, whatever that title means. The principal tenet of Christianity is indeed forgiveness for one's past sins, and as DV said we've all done things we wished we hadn't. So, if this rumor has any truth to it, we just have to trust RM's judgement and hope Biancardi, if he's coming, has learned from his mistakes and won't repeat them. Another interesting thing about this article is the timing. Now RM and DV both worked for ESPN. This has got to be more than a coincidence that Biancardi's name comes up for us, and bang, you get a full column on him by Dickie V. RM's connections in the world of college hoops are unbelieveable. Dickie V smooths the way a little for Biancardi's reentry into college hoops. Who knows, maybe he whispered his name in RM's ear. Also, DV attends some of the summer camps and does talks all over the country to coaches and kids. You can't help but wonder if he won't be of some help to steering kids our way. I don't know what NCAA regs would prevent an analyst from advising a kid about his choice of college, ie

Player:"Gee, Mr. Vitale what an honor. I love watching you do games."

DV: "You're a possible diaper dandy, kid."

Player: "Yeah, I just haven't made up mind yet where's the best fit for me."

DV: "You know my good friend RM is one of the best coach's in the world and is building one dynamite program at SLU. I can arrange a meeting if you'd like."

Would the above conversation be a violation?

It's 2006. A year ago this month.

This is a tough one. We've sat on this board for years blasting guys like this who have cheated, so it's a bit hypocritical to welcome him with open arms. However, you have to trust our coach. You have to believe that Biondi has make it absolutely clear that cheating will not be tolerated. I'll give the guy a second chance. He's obviously a hell of a recruiter. I get the feeling RM is surrounding himself with top notch recruiters so he can concentrate on coaching the team. A good move for somebody with his celebrity status and age.

Nothing wrong with giving somebody like this guy a second chance. Galen Hall, who is currently the offensive coordinator at Penn State, was run out of Florida for recruiting violations. Joe Paterno, who has never had a recruiting violation and runs an extreemly clean program, gave him another chance with a job on his staff shortly therafter. Hall then went on to have a decent career as OC at other places before returning to PSU.

OSU's dealings with the foreign players was down right scummy. How they escaped the death penalty for them is still beyond me. Cash payoffs, free living, academic fraud are all serious offenses. They make Q's look like an altar boy. I would imagine if this is true, Bincardi has been put through the ringer by CL that this won't be tolerated at SLU. Hopefully, this guy would be smart enough to realize any more shenanigans will oust him from college hoops altogether. One other thing, this guy supposedly, from Buckeye sources, knows the Euro landscape about as well as anyone. He was the guy that established the link between the Serbian/Croat agent (read: dirtbag extrodinaire) repping the guys OSU got in trouble with.

i hope there is zero rope. you can bet opponent coaches will be looking for a screw up and you can bet the ncaa if they too arent watching will take the call that comes from that opponent reporting.

i dont like it, but i agree you got to let majerus make his own way. i dont like walking in the gray area one bit. this is scary and not slulike.