Scott Suggs and Tyler Griffey

I found a little bit of info on Suggs. Nothing earth shattering but at least something to read. Seems like he really likes Illinois and in a different article Tyler Griffey states that the coach is one of the top factors in choosing a school and he mentions he likes Bruce Weber a lot.

http://www.news-gazette.com/blogs/basketbl...ootout_coverage

If Scott and his dad are interested in a coach taking a genuine personal interest in his players, I can't think of a better coach than Majerus, at least from anything I've ever heard.

Here's to breaking rules and buying kids Moons Over My Hammy® once in awhile...

i call b.s. on suggs being swayed by a coach that takes genuine personal interest in him. my gosh, soderberg was about ready to adopt the guy. kramer considered him his brother. that didnt get us far.

i agree majerus is all about it as well, but if that is the difference maker and that wasnt doing it before.......

To be honest, who really knows what these kids think anyway. I just hope he picks SLU in the end. Does anyone know(Nate) when Scott is suppose to make a decision. I thought I heard it wouldnt be till the end of the summer.

>i call b.s. on suggs being swayed by a coach that takes

>genuine personal interest in him. my gosh, soderberg was

>about ready to adopt the guy. kramer considered him his

>brother. that didnt get us far.

>

>i agree majerus is all about it as well, but if that is the

>difference maker and that wasnt doing it before.......

It was Griffey that said a coach makes a difference, not Suggs.......

Is that these kid's play to the audience. This is not only an Illinois newspaper, but the Champaign/Urbana newspaper. When a kid hasn't made up his mind yet all he is going to do is talk good about the coach and the program that is recruiting him. Kids tend to want to make people happy and are not going to tip their hand to a reporter on if the school is the front runner or not. If the kid didn't think highly of both the coach and the school that team wouldn't be among the finalist.

I would be upset if Suggs and/or Griffey would end up going to Illinois. If they go to Florida or to one of the top BB schools in the ACC, I would understand. I hope Majerus can convince one of the two to sign at SLU. I would not even mine if they ended up at Mizzou, but not Illinois. We need to lock down the Saint Louis kids.

I agree, these kids are pretty sharp and realize their auduence. It is a mistake to read too much into their quotes, imo.

That being said, Suggs is now pretty consistent in his comments that he would narrow his choices to his top 3 or 4 in the late summer / Sept. and would aim at a Nov decision.

Of course, it was earlier thought he would make a Aug - Sept decision.

who knows?

I'm with you Roy. But to be honest there are plenty of kids that are good, and a lot of good reasons to go to SLU. But, if a kid chooses another school ... I wish him the best. I want all Stl kids to do well. I just can't have ill feelings towards a kid because he did what he and his parents felt was best for him.

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H Waldman

Official Sponser of the Stemmler and Ahearn could and would have helped club.

i have no ill feelings, i have no feelings at all. if a local kid decides to take his game to the for example, then as far as i am concerned he is the same to me as some kid in richmond that goes to virginia. i couldnt care less. they made their choice and that is one less career i want to watch thereafter.

Let's not act like Kentucky fans here. A kid wants to someplace other than SLU, good luck to him. Again, many reasons for a kid choosing a school. Most say it's the coach, so let's just trust in the Maji to bring in his fair share. If Suggs and Griffey come, great! If not, RM will get someone else.

no disagreement slu72, but dont ask me to come to a party to celebrate them heading elsewhere either. we have no reason to be happy for them anymore than joe smoe from seattle going to another school. once they decide they dont want to be billikens fine. they then become insignificant from the billiken fandom imo.

there is a reason scott highmark is more recognizable in st louis than ryan robertson or erwin claggett is more revered than chris carrawell. and imo that is very justified. they stayed home to be hero's and deserve it.

No doubt. You hate to see kids slip right out under you, but there's just nothing you can do about it if they're bound and determined to leave home, or hit it off with another coach, or like the coeds better. Never having been a highly recruited athlete, I don't know what I would have done. Probably gone to Colorado because of the strippers and the party rep, but who knows. Parents can play a major role as well. If there are strong ties, ala KL and TL, then maybe we luck out. As for their future, well if Suggs goes to UI and makes it big, but not the NBA, maybe he'll land a good job in Chicago.

understood, but i dont think we help the situation by giving our "happy blessings" to go elsewhere while these recruits are making their decisions.

they want to leave st louis, fine. but dont expect flowers and a cake on my behalf and it seems somewhat defeating for any of us supposed "hardcores" to send a

"it's ok, go play with xyz university. we understand, they are so much better and deserved."

message.

the truth is, if they leave, they will become insignificant to the st louis area compared to the basketball heros they could become to st louis if they play for the billikens.