Cleveland Rocks!

It was great to see Larry getting interviewed on the court afterwards...I am happy for him! I wish he would've spent another year with the Bills and learned some of the life lessons here in St. Louis instead of with AI and the boys in Philly. We wouldn't have needed RM to resucitate our program....

One of our own is in the NBA Finals. I for one, am extremely excited and I can't wait for the championship series to start. Unlike many other people on this board, I'm not a Larry Hughes playa-hater who is mad at him because he had the nerve to sign a multi-million contract to play at the highest level and take care of his family. I LOVE IT! Larry would have probably been here another year, had he not blown up and become the National Freshman of the Year and averaged 20 points a game and taken us to the second round of the NCAA Tournament.

To be honest, the one thread I read about Larry and people's feelings about him was truly pathetic. I thought billiken fans were better than that. I was wrong.

bad boyz for life

Diddy....was it my post you referred to...?

I am happy for Larry and do not blame him for his decision.

I am not a Spoonball Kool-aid drinker either.

But you must admit...up to this year he had yet to reach the heights all had hoped or had predicted for him. Golden State and Wizards fans did not break the bank buying Larry's jerseys.

As far as college goes...Second round his first year....if he hung around for another maybe a final four. Was Dwyane Wade's supporting cast at Marquette much better than Larry's at SLU?

All you have to do is look at the changes at Marquette to understand my point...

I am happy for Larry and realize he had to get his....but I doubt he ever glances at the ESPN ticker looking for Billiken scores...

not your post in particular, just the general tone. I didn't realize the general resentment of larry from slu fans.

as for wade, he didn't get to play at marquette his freshman year because he was a partial qualifier. he was really good as a sophomore, but they were knocked out in the first round by tulsa here in st. louis. he reached his peak his junior year when he took mu to the final four. Who knows what would have happened had d.wade played his freshman year at mu and really blew up like larry did. he might have made the same decision, especially with a wife and kid at the time.

I would have liked to have seen another year from the legend as well, but he played himself into the lottery by playing well beyond anyone's expectations as a freshman. we knew he would be good, but who would have guessed 20 points a game and several 30-point performanes and that 40-point bomb he dropped on marquette.

so what larry left after one year, it happens quite often. besides, when he left the program was back in the national limelight, getting 20,000 people a night. spoon should have done a better job of recruiting and taking advantage of it. besides, the program didn't fall apart after larry left. two years after the legend, the team won the c-usa title and went to the ncaa tournament.

it looked like he had come into his own as a pro in washington. he averaged 22 points, led the league in steals and made the nba all-defensive team. he was a natural fit for ed jordan's princeton, free-wheeling offensive system. the wizards also won a first round playoff series that year. since larry's departure, washington has been knocked out in the first round two years in a row. arenas has scored a lot more but he broke down having to carry too much of the load. you think they might want to revisit their decision not to match cleveland's offer and try to keep him.

i've only met larry once or twice and really don't know his feelings about slu, but i know this. a billiken will be playing in the NBA Finals and that is huge for SLU, especially with a high-profile new coach and new beginnings. To have your school's best player in the modern arena sharing the sports biggest stage with the likes of King James and Tim Duncan is beyond prime-time.

bad boyz for life

Was Dwyane

>Wade's supporting cast at Marquette much better than Larry's

>at SLU?

>

>All you have to do is look at the changes at Marquette to

>understand my point...

>

Yes, it was. 2 other future NBA draft picks on the roster (Diener and Novak), Robert Jackson who is having a successful career overseas and was a beast in the paint (huge game against Kentucky), and Merritt, who is putting up nice numbers in the NBDL. Novak didn't even start on that team either, junior Terry Sanders did. Also, many forget that Wade was pretty much shut down in the first and second round games, it was Diener who bailed them out against Holy Cross with 29 and Diener, Novak and Merritt who played huge in the OT thriller against Mizzou. Wade didn't "explode" until the 2nd half of the Pitt game in the Sweet 16.

And yes, Wade did have trouble scoring against SLU, Fish did a great job on him, but MU went 4-0 against SLU during that time as Blankson stepped up big time in one game and Diener in 2 others. The 4th the Marq. defense kept SLU off the scoreboard for nearly the first 10 minutes and held SLU to under 40 points at Savvis.

that if Larry had just stayed one more year the history of SLU basketball would have been forever changed. Yes, we would have almost surely have had a good year in 98-99 and maybe have even made the Sweet 16, but anybody predicting a Final 4 is grossly underestimating how difficult and how lucky you have to be to make it.

The road is littered with many programs that have had 1 Sweet 16 or Elite 8 run that have meant little to the program's success in future years. Kent St., UW Milwaukee, Mizzou, etc.

did that supporting cast have in the years following Wade's departure to the NBA?

I actually agree with you that MArquette's supporting cast was better than SLU's but people shouldn't forget that anytime a 3 seed advances to the Final 4 its a least partially luck (could have just as easily been a 2nd round loss to Mizzou).

I'll never forget talking to a bunch of Marquette fans after they had lost in the 1st round of the conference tourney in Louisville and them asking what has Crean ever done that was so special. Of course four games later that question was moot but if you look at it the golden boy had been at Marquette for 8 years and in only 1 year has he won an NCAA tourney game. Its interesting if nothing else.

>Diddy....was it my post you referred to...?

>

>I am happy for Larry and do not blame him for his decision.

>

>I am not a Spoonball Kool-aid drinker either.

>

>But you must admit...up to this year he had yet to reach the

>heights all had hoped or had predicted for him. Golden

>State and Wizards fans did not break the bank buying Larry's

>jerseys.

>

>As far as college goes...Second round his first year....if

>he hung around for another maybe a final four. Was Dwyane

>Wade's supporting cast at Marquette much better than Larry's

>at SLU?

>

>All you have to do is look at the changes at Marquette to

>understand my point...

>

>I am happy for Larry and realize he had to get his....but I

>doubt he ever glances at the ESPN ticker looking for

>Billiken scores...

In the 2004-2005 season he was the only player to average at least 22ppg, 5rbs, 5asts, and 2stls. He also made 1st team All-Defense and lead the league in steals. That was just 2 years ago.

>did that supporting cast have in the years following Wade's

>departure to the NBA?

>

If Diener isn't injured either of the following seasons they're in the tourney. Plus, people don't realize just how big of a contributor Robert Jackson was - 6-10, 265, he was a beast in the middle and that kept the defenses honest. It also allowed Merritt to play the 4 which was his natural position. Of course, Novak led a freshman dominated team to the NCAA tourney in 2005.

>I actually agree with you that MArquette's supporting cast

>was better than SLU's but people shouldn't forget that

>anytime a 3 seed advances to the Final 4 its a least

>partially luck (could have just as easily been a 2nd round

>loss to Mizzou).

Yes, it did take some luck - Paulding had a shot to win that Mizzou game in regulation, he caught front iron. Then Novak can't miss in OT. I remember talking to Paulding about that game, when I talked about how he couldn't miss he replied "no, that white dude you all had couldn't miss. Where did he come from??" In the Pitt game 2 freshmen, Bradley and Chapman, hit big 3's to keep it close until Wade blew up in the 2nd half. No luck against Kentucky, MU dominated that entire game, up 20 in the 2nd half.

>I'll never forget talking to a bunch of Marquette fans after

>they had lost in the 1st round of the conference tourney in

>Louisville and them asking what has Crean ever done that was

>so special. Of course four games later that question was

>moot but if you look at it the golden boy had been at

>Marquette for 8 years and in only 1 year has he won an NCAA

>tourney game. Its interesting if nothing else.

Were those fans loaded? I might have been in that group? Louisvill was pretty much a blur! Realize that Crean rescued MU from mediocrity (hopefully what Majerus will do with SLU) and at that point what he'd done was significant. You will not hear me disagree with concerns about Crean's NCAA record, though to be fair MU missing its best player in McNeal did hurt it against MSU. The other 2 losses (Tulsa and Alabama) went down to the final possession.

Pdiddy's right in his assessment. No man in his right mind would turn down the kind of money the legend was looking at. He had a sick brother and a hard working mother to consider. Seems to me I also hear he hangs around WP a little in the summer. Be a nice recruiting tool when recruits visit and see, hopefully, an NBA champ out on the floor playing shirts and skins. That said, pdiddy, I can't recall a lot of anti Legend posts on this board. I think we all understand his decision and most support it.

I disagree with what you think is the general feeling about Larry from SLU fans. When we were posting our all time teams, most had Larry on the 1st team. I think we all appreciate that year, we all wish he had stayed longer, but in reality who could blame him for leaving. I would have. It seems to me that the apathy comes from the fact he only played 1 year, so as a fan, you really don't develop as much "love" as you probably would have had he stayed longer. Also I think as compared with most of our expectations ... Larry has not had a very good NBA career. Imo he has underachieved and hasn't gotten much better in the NBA. He had a very good year one year in Washington, and imo he should have been an all star. Other guards scored more, but that year very few did it all as well. But, after that he is back to being an average NBA guard. I'd be shocked if Cleveland would resign Larry in hindsight. Maybe its right, maybe not ... by my opinion of Larry is he got his money, what more is there.

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H Waldman

Official Sponser of the Stemmler and Ahearn could and would have helped club.

Certainly he did not develop for four years but he and his family were touched by SLU and Justins extra years are a testament to SLU and Cardinal Glennon.

So yes I cheer for Hughes but I do not have the same "Billiken" emotions for him as I developed for Marque or Jeff harris, simply because we did not see them in person grow and develop as players and people.

hughes remains the most electric player i have ever watched wearing billiken blue. every night he would seem to do something with ease and after thinking back i'd think, "man he made that look easy". and most of the times it wasnt. he was the best.

skip i too have been disappointed with larry's pro career. early on, he was held back by larry brown imo. my gosh, hughes was probably better than eric snow was in snow's best season when larry was at cbc.

after that he had the bad break of getting sentenced to golden state where he actually also had some decent years but who the hell follows golden state? they were never on tv and home games were late for us back here in the midwest.

he then gets shipped to washington and has the one break out season and gets rewarded with the big cavs contract.

since coming to cleveland it has been one injury after another, and couple that with a coach that would make soderberg look like an offensive genius in comparison, larry hasnt really found the place to shine.

he has been misused tremendously at cleveland. i think he needs to be somewhere where getting up and down the floor is a priority. i would hate to be in this brown guy's huddles. do you really need a timeout to say, "give it to lebron and if he isnt open someone else try to shoot it before the shot clock runs out".

apparently i really show my age. i dont get the fascination with tatoos and piercings at all. i could see a cute tiny tatoo somewhere to share with your loved one, and i could understand a woman getting her ears pierced once, but the multiple attacks on their own bodies with ink and holes just make no sense to me. how is it attractive? i dont get it.

i dont even get backwards hats and low pants with underwear showing either. but at least those can be fixed.

apparently somewhere along the line i turned into my father.

I've always wondered if Larry was ever accused of cheating in college because of all of the writing on his arm? Read once too he has a favorite artist in STL so I think he goes to the same guy every time.

I've got no problem with tats, it's a form of expression, but just keep it under control. My wife just got one that she designed herself which has deep meaning to her representing her faith and heritage, but she plans on stopping with one.