Big recruiting get for Mizzou

I never heard anything about a Rolla guy, but I heard about the Delaware guy months ago, but I was just waiting for it to become official. He's a 6'3 point who averaged 10ppg, led his team in assists, and led the conference in steals. He will be eligible as a junior for the 2008-2009 season and will probably start as Mizzou loses Hannah and Horton to graduation and probably wont want to start a freshman from the 2008 recruiting class if they want to win immediately.

The kid averaged 10.3 points and 1.6 assists (not sure where you got that he led the team) last season before quiting mid-season. This is a team that went 5-26 last season.

Now Andersen created some very good UAB teams with a bunch of no-name recruits so if he believe this kid fits his system then you have to give him the benefit of the doubt but this doesn't really fit the profile of being a "big-time" signing. Not by a long shot.

Actually I meant led his team in steals. It was mistake. Also, when I first heard the rumor about him coming he was leading the conference in steals. He didnt finish first in steals either, because he didnt finish the season. His 1.6 average was good for 5th in the conference. He only had 23 steals on the year in 14 games played. I agree its not big time signing, I guess you were referring to opening post. He's probably a good fit for Anderson's system though, a defensive oriented player who can score and probably would upped his average to 13-15ppg as a junior. I'm more interest in seeing how the Vanderbilt transfer Carroll will do.

brianstl, who obviously has a strong dislike for Mizzou. But like you, V-time, I'm excited about the prospects of two strong teams for the locals to root for. Though I must say that Majerus makes me nervous. Who knows if he'll have second thoughts again...

Yeah it is sarcastic, so what? Not too different from the posts by some SPUMAC fans about Brett Thompson's committment to SLU being the 108(or so) ranked player. As you know it isn't too different from what most of the SPUMAC fans are saying themselves. Most are thinking, "huh?" Puzzling to take a 10 ppg 1.6 ast guy from a lowly school that quit his team halfway through the season. That being said I trust Anderson's ability to evaluate talent. It worked at UAB but SPUMAC is in the B12 so can it work there?

I feel pretty good about Majerus as he was extremely sucessful at a school in a conference comparable to the A10. I know he isn't 45 now but we need 3 years at least and I think that will put us in the right direction.

It is a large group of their fans that think they are better than everyone else. You would think that they have won 10 national titles the way they act. Duke, UK, KU, and UNC fans don't even act like they do. They have problems with every group of fans of teams they play. When everybody feels the same way about you it might not be them that has the problem, it probably is you.

Then you would have a point. The fact is SLU has a coach that has done more than any coach has ever done at Mizzou. Majerus has been more succesful in his career than MU has been in its whole program's history. Those are the facts Cheesycow.

We've got Brett Thompson and some good pub to show for the Majerus hire to this point. Shouldn't we wait till we win a few games and recruiting battles till we proclaim ourselves masters of the universe?

Despite that note of humility, Majerus beats Anderson in nearly every quality, including heart bypasses and it will be a great day when the tigers are eclipsed by SLU and lights go out at what ever the heck their arena is called....

And Mizzou has a far better history than us. It just gets a little old the way many Tiger fans treat not just us, but everybody else. You would think they had multiple trips to Final Four instead of zero, by the way they act.

We are not the masters of the universe, but we have had a better team than them the past two seasons and we will be better again this year.

I wouldn't. Mizzou has always recruited on a much more national basis than we have. Anderson will bring them talented players from all over and I'm sure he'll turn the program around. Playing in the Big XII and getting huge TV exposure will always help them.

>Then you would have a point. The fact is SLU has a coach

>that has done more than any coach has ever done at Mizzou.

>Majerus has been more succesful in his career than MU has

>been in its whole program's history. Those are the facts

>Cheesycow.

More successful than the whole program's history, thats just not true. He had one GREAT year and a lot really good years. He is definitely a great coach, but you can make an argument that he was not in a conference like the Big 12 and wouldnt have the winning percentages and conference titles and accolades he does over the KU's and Texas' of the Big 12.

>He has gone to the final four and the national title game.

>When has that happened at MU? He has had more success where

>it matters than MU has ever had plain and simple.

yeah, somewhere else. Bobby Cremins has gone to the Final Four but that doesn't make College of Charleston a top program. Has Texas Tech eclipsed the other in-state schools based on having Bobby Knight and his past success - he's done much more than Rick Barnes ever has.

Let Majerus coach a season first....

>He has gone to the final four and the national title game.

>When has that happened at MU? He has had more success where

>it matters than MU has ever had plain and simple.

That was one year. Does that eclipse multipe elite 8 runs maybe. Does that eclipes dozens of NCAA tourneys, no. To say he is more successful than entire history of the program, because of that great run isnt fair. George Mason made it to the final four, does that make their coach more successful than every major program that's never made it to the final four, NO.

Majerus career record 422-167 (71.6 winning percentage), NCAA record 17-11 (60.7 winning percentage), made it to at least the sweet sixteen 4 times, made it to at least the elite eight twice, made it to at least the final four once, title game once, and won 10 outright or shared conference titles in twenty full or partial seasons (three of those years he coached a team that was not in a conference).

Missouri all-time record ???? (could not find), NCAA record 18-21 (46.1 winning percentage), made elite eight three times (I don't count 1944, it was only an eight team tounament and they lost the first game), 6 sweet sixteens, 0 final fours, zero title games, and 15 outright or shared conference titles.

RM has only won 1 less NCAA game in only 20 years than MU has won in the 78 year history of the tournament. He has won only 5 less conference titles than MU has in nearly 90 years.

the mizzou fascination on this board

the incredible lack of understanding that rick has signed 1 recruit and has not coached a game but slu is now some sort of dominate player in the world of college hoops

sorry for the dose of reality...where are the cheerleader pics?

Nobody. I did was point out our coaches track record and compared it to the overrated history of what some people wrongly think was some kind of power program.

SLU has done nothing of note for over a half century, but our coach has a track record. That is reason enough to be excited, at least for me.