SIU fans now claim Thompson not good enough for SIU

I went over to Salukitalk to see if there was any banter about Brett Thompson and see if I could get some first hand accounts of what his game is like, and what I read was absolutely pathetic and hilarious at the same time. Evidently Thompson, who is good enough for Alabama, Indiana, Notre Dame, Iowa St, and others, is not good enough to be offered a scholarship to SIU, and Saluki fans are glad Lowery did not offer him a scholarship.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting that the majority of the comments that Skip refers to (That he isn't good enough for SIU) happen BEFORE the announcement of Thompsons signing with SLU. A typical quote BEFORE it was announced that SLU signed Thompson. ...

"A lot of people are falling off this guy. North Carolina, Michigan State, Illinois and SIU. I was talking w/ a couple of people in Vienna and they are even frustrated w/ him. Insiders say that he takes games off. HE WAS NOT DOMINATE IN THEIR CONFERENCE!!!??? In my other post a month ago I was joking and said Cobden gave him fits. That is not alltogether untrue. Lets look and that conference. Dongola, Cobden, Shawnee, Goreville, Egyptian, Tamms. Hell there isn not another player taller than 6-4 in the entire league.

This guy is a big time project and has been challenged because of his WILL to play the game.

Yes, he can shoot the three. Majerous is reaching w/ this kid because he is late at the recuiting the 08 class. We already have our class and we BACKED off Thompson. Our program must have seen better value in other places. Majerous does not have this luxury. He will improve their program, because that is not hard to do."

timmy said,

"Majerous is reaching w/ this kid because he is late at the recuiting the 08 class. We already have our class and we BACKED off Thompson."

siu already has the 08 class set? i was only aware of the roundtree verbal. does that mean siu only has one scholarship in 08 or does siu have more commits that i am not aware of? if the latter is true, what other 08 players have committed to siu?

thanks!

p.s. while you convienently bring out the egyptian conference comments, i was curious how you explain the fact that thompson was apparently recruited to the much higher profiled illinois warrior aau team from the eagles and apparently is more than holding his own at that higher level of aau play.

the fact he was getting offers from the bigtimers indicates to me that it is unlikely he would be consistently stopped by cobden's center this coming winter.

If you notice, these thingies """" mean that I'm quoting from a different source. I have no idea. I was simply stating that those on the SIU board who commented did not lament the fact that Thompson signed elsewhere - they were down on the kid before he signed with SLU and were universally of the opinion that he didn't fit in the SIU program. That's all I'm sayin'. They could be wrong or angry because a kid from their own back yard wasn't seriously considering SIU, I don't know. All I know is that this thread should have been titled: "SIU fans are relieved that Thompson signs elsewhere."

B-Roy didn't SIU get another verbal from a St Louis kid a week or so after Roundtree. Maybe Booker?? Don't have time to look it up right now, but I think he is a 6'8" or 6'9" post type player. I don't know about any other verbals though.

When the recruit MG went to Wichita St. instead of us there were plenty on this board that said we stopped recruiting him. Maybe but maybe not. Its a common characteristic on all fan message boards.

In their defense, the Saluki talk regulars were not fans of Thompson since the beginning of his junior season so it isn't just sour grapes over the commitment. I read their board pretty regularly and they just don't like really big kids roaming on the perimeter. I guess they didn't get the memo about 6'10/6'11 kids being able to play inside and out nowadays.

IF Brett had wanted to go to SIU a Scholarship Was AVAILABLE and already offered LONG AGO. Lowrey wanted him bad enough for an unofficial visit a LONG TIME AGO! What the Saluki fans don't appreciate is the fact that Brett will be playing for one of the GREATEST coaches in the U.S. They are probably ticked they'll have to drive further to watch him play and their season tickets are no good!

I mean, come on, Izzo himself took time out of HIS personal Christmas Holiday to fly down and watch Brett...

Good. SIU is in for a very rude awakening in the very near future. And you can see the denial and fear, disguised as false boldness, in SIU supporter posts. They know that they are in trouble with Rick Majerus at SLU. And they are, whether they are ready to admit it or not. Same goes for Missouri State. And, for that matter, the same goes for Mizzou. SLU is going to get the first shot at players that slipped by past SLU regimes. The great sleeping giant has been awakened from its slumber.

Irrespective of current SIU players (Falker and Shaw) and their recruiting stories, just how many Missouri and Illinois students would really rather go to Southern Illinois University than Saint Louis University, assuming they really had the choice?

When was the last time SIU actually won a game against SLU in St. Louis? And how many times before that did SIU win? The results in this series have largely been the product of the home venue. Carbondale is long notorious for being Homerdale.

SIU won't get away with body slamming Kevin Lisch, with no foul being called, at a SLU home court patrolled by Coach Rick Majerus. Majerus would have that kind of rubbish plastered all over the STL media. It is doubtful that SIU will get away with that stuff against SLU any more in Carbondale, either.

>IF Brett had wanted to go to SIU a Scholarship Was AVAILABLE

>and already offered LONG AGO. Lowrey wanted him bad enough

>for an unofficial visit a LONG TIME AGO! What the Saluki

>fans don't appreciate is the fact that Brett will be playing

>for one of the GREATEST coaches in the U.S. They are

>probably ticked they'll have to drive further to watch him

>play and their season tickets are no good!

>

>I mean, come on, Izzo himself took time out of HIS personal

>Christmas Holiday to fly down and watch Brett...

That statement speaks volumes on how good this kid is.

From the SIU board:

"Let's face it it takes a SPECIAL player w/ a lot of heart and toughness to play in our system.

And I LOVE IT!!!"

Ummm...by "SPECIAL player" i guess they mean "cheater." They play the ugliest (yes, effective) bball i have seen in a long time.

SIU's version of "tough defense" is fouling on nearly every play. The refs can't call all of them. No broken bones, no blood, no foul. Body slam one of the opponent's best players to the floor, no foul.

Where's David Stern?

I wish I could be there at Scottrade Center for the next meeting with the Egyptian hunting dogs.

For the record, SLU leads the all-time series 24-23. You wouldn't know that by reading the translations of the SIU drivel.

I'm beginning to detest SIU as much as Mizzery. They are all feeling very flush from their 6 year run in the NCAA's, but all good things come to an end. I've asked this before, is there any truth to the rumor that Roundtree is reconsidering his verbal since RM took over, or was this just an SIU type rumor. If so, we should be ashamed of ourselves. I'll take Brett's Mom's reply that they offered 3 years ago.