Does this Verbal mean no Brandenburg?

Sounds like Psycho T would eat Brandenburg's lunch in the ACC (assuming Hansbrough would actually stay for his senior year).

From the sounds of it, Brandenburg would be sitting on the end of the bench hugging his teddy bear while Hansbrough hung from the rim spitting throwing stars at him.

Sorry to dump on Brandenburg so much, but I hate "hype" kids.

He hasn't realized it yet, but the kid has skills. You can take a flyer on a kid like that and hope he puts it together. He is not a Husak like project. He has much more to work with and I think Husak is going to have a good year.

John Brandenburg didn't have a very good junior season. He also had three ankle injuries and some other injury I can't remember off the top of my head.

He was definitely a better player as a sophomore, when he could have been the player of the year in the Metro Catholic Conference. (That went to JB's teammate, Sean Kowal.)

The kid is far from a finished product, but he could be very good in college. He's got skills that a lot of players his size and his age — he's basically a year younger than his classmates — just don't have.

I think Brandenburg would be a good fit at SLU because Majerus has a strong resume for working with and developing big guys. Brandenburg is a smart kid (30 on his ACT) and when he figures it out, he's going to be very good.

I've seen him when he's been good, bad and even in eighth grade when he didn't care much about playing basketball but did it anyway.

- Nate

>John Brandenburg didn't have a very good junior season. He

>also had three ankle injuries and some other injury I can't

>remember off the top of my head.

>

>He was definitely a better player as a sophomore, when he

>could have been the player of the year in the Metro Catholic

>Conference. (That went to JB's teammate, Sean Kowal.)

>

>The kid is far from a finished product, but he could be very

>good in college. He's got skills that a lot of players his

>size and his age — he's basically a year younger than his

>classmates — just don't have.

>

>I think Brandenburg would be a good fit at SLU because

>Majerus has a strong resume for working with and developing

>big guys. Brandenburg is a smart kid (30 on his ACT) and

>when he figures it out, he's going to be very good.

>

>I've seen him when he's been good, bad and even in eighth

>grade when he didn't care much about playing basketball but

>did it anyway.

>

>- Nate

The other injury which caused him to miss time was hand surgery. Perhaps an accurate and more informed response for many in this thread would be ...I haven't seen him play so I don't really have an opinion. Plenty of Spring and Summer tourneys remaining to actually go see someone play several times before forming an opinion, if people are that interested.

The head coach from Kentucky and one of the top assistants from UCLA came to see Brandenburgh at DeSmet the week after he played in a tournament in Houston. You can say what you want about what he did playing the high post and wing at DeSmet but when he got to play his natural position in the summer. He has big time guys coming after him.

I'd love to see the Bills get him, and heck I have not seen him play at all...Can't teach 7'. He sounds like someone who has plenty of upside and a player that Coach Majerus could mold into a heckuva D-1 5.

cut that out. That's the kind of thinking that will lead to the death of internet message boards.

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H Waldman

Official Sponser of the Stemmler and Ahearn could and would have helped club.

>I'd love to see the Bills get him, and heck I have not seen

>him play at all...Can't teach 7'. He sounds like someone

>who has plenty of upside and a player that Coach Majerus

>could mold into a heckuva D-1 5.

Apparently I don't know what I am talking about Schasz and neither does Orange Julius, and neither do all of the coaches who have been watching him against Withey, Green and many others lately, in Vegas, Houston and elsewhere.

Perhaps he should just go elsewhere and suffer through a free ride to a good BCS school? SLU doesn't need him. SLU's recruiting classes have been loaded lately. Can't wait for that number ranking to come out for SLU.

We all don't feel that way. I am sure RM wants the kid. I don't think he will be a star from day one, but he can be a huge star down the line. I haven't seen him play this summer, but everything I heard is he looks nothing like the player I saw this past winter. He has stepped it up.

Courtside...we still have trolls on here and some who make rash judgments about a player that they have not seen. I have no way of seeing this young man play, but I do trust the judgment of those like yourself who have seen him play and know that he would be a real get for the Billikens. You are right, we have not done a darn thing yet and some on here would turn their noses at a talent like this young man...un-freaking-believable.

>Courtside...we still have trolls on here and some who make

>rash judgments about a player that they have not seen. I

>have no way of seeing this young man play, but I do trust

>the judgment of those like yourself who have seen him play

>and know that he would be a real get for the Billikens. You

>are right, we have not done a darn thing yet and some on

>here would turn their noses at a talent like this young

>man...un-freaking-believable.

If people think Thompson is going to come in and be a star right away, they are smoking crack. He will have a slower learning curve than the half season of Lisch and Liddell's struggles. He'll get minutes right away, make contributions. If SLU is desperate(which is often the case) he'll get to start right away or at least a lot of minutes, and he will take his lumps his first year. Period. He will be a good plyer for SLU and do well.

I've listed Brandenburg's stregths and weaknesses and skill-sets here many times. Runs the floor like a deer. Good hands, good passer, good rebounder, good shot blocker, athletic. He had sevral injuries his junior year of high school, and didn't play in an envirnoment that could best utilize his skills.

His biggest weakness is rushing himself offensively. Needs to slow down but be assertive when finishing. He knows what he needs to do. He has a good touch. Big men are the longest and slowest to develop.

Look at it this way, ...let me give you an example SLU fans can relate to, and an example from previous Kevin O'Neill discussion you and I've had.....he had a kid on his team, Jim Mclivaine, not as athletic, not as good offenively, not as good of hands, couldn't run the floor as well as Brandenburg, etc...so what happened to him? He was named National Defenisve Player of the Year in college, and was a part of a team that led the country in field goal percentage defense twice. He became his school's all-time leading shot blocker, was all-conference etc...and played several years in the NBA.

But I am sure there is someone somewhere saying, well I heard Mclivaine wasn't any good, or remember that game against Marquette high, I din't think he was so great...etc...

Some people don't watch kids play

Some only watch them play one game here or there, and not with or against top competition

Some people don't look for the same things when watching a kid play as I do, or maybe Orange Julius, or Billy Gillispie or Donnie Daniels, or Bo Ryan, or Dave Leitao, or Mike Anderson, and so on...etc...

>Some people don't look for the same things when watching a

>kid play as I do, or maybe Orange Julius, or Billy Gillispie

>or Donnie Daniels, or Bo Ryan, or Dave Leitao, or Mike

>Anderson, and so on...etc...

Wow CS, you sure seem to hold yourself in pretty high esteem. Spot the one that doesn't belongin this list.......

Having said that I pretty much agree with you. Arguing about recruits rankings according to second and third hand info and video highlight clips is ridiculous.

Besides seeing him in his days with Marquette, I also saw him play for the Sonics when we lived in Seattle. While he was a serviceable player for Marquette I cannot think of any memorable games he had with the Sonics...but he was a starter back in those days.

Hey, we could even lump Stipo in on that comment couldn't we now. Playing in the NBA is a nice way to make a living. I seem to remember that the Sonics got Jimmy in a trade but I don't remember the details. I enjoyed living in a NBA city as I do go all the way back to the days of the St. Louis Hawks, and it was fun going to the games. I feel badly for the many fans of the Sonics as the rumblings are that the new owner may move them. Back in the days I lived in Seattle most of the games were either nearly or completely soldout.

Courtside makes it seem like his opinion is the end all be all.

Macilvaine would do one thing great, block shots. He was well over 7 feet tall with a wingspan in the mid 7s. He had awesome shot blocking instincts. That is why he made it to the league.

Unfortunately Mr Brandenberg has never played much defense. He won't be Jim Macilvaine, in fact he probably won't be Bryce Husak on the defensive end.

I'd definetly take him in a heartbeat. He is 6'11 with very good athleticism for a guy his size but he is a project. I've seen him play at least a couple dozen times in summer ball and HS. Courtside won't like to hear it but Thompson is the better player now and will be the better college player. Thompson has gotten beat by a couple guys but he always plays tough. Brandenberg is soft. If he wants to be successful or play in the ACC he has to change his game entirely or he will follow Baniak into the ranks of DeSmet busts.

>Courtside makes it seem like his opinion is the end all be

>all.

>

>Macilvaine would do one thing great, block shots. He was

>well over 7 feet tall with a wingspan in the mid 7s. He had

>awesome shot blocking instincts. That is why he made it to

>the league.

>

>Unfortunately Mr Brandenberg has never played much defense.

>He won't be Jim Macilvaine, in fact he probably won't be

>Bryce Husak on the defensive end.

>

>I'd definetly take him in a heartbeat. He is 6'11 with very

>good athleticism for a guy his size but he is a project.

>I've seen him play at least a couple dozen times in summer

>ball and HS. Courtside won't like to hear it but Thompson

>is the better player now and will be the better college

>player. Thompson has gotten beat by a couple guys but he

>always plays tough. Brandenberg is soft. If he wants to be

>successful or play in the ACC he has to change his game

>entirely or he will follow Baniak into the ranks of DeSmet

>busts.

Nice grandstanding from the board's biggets bigot, according to the many from here who told me so off of the board. Although it didn't actually surprise me.

Why would you compare Brandenburg with Baniak? Is this your agenda yet again? Didn't we cover this during high school basketball when you were wrong over and over and over again in those laughable predictions about teams from the West and South. Obviously this is some issue you have with certain parts of the STL area as was shown previously many times. For whatever reasons, you are still allowed to post here.

As for cleaning up your little mess....I've never compared Thompson and Brandenburg as players because they don't play the same game nor the same positions. It isn't a contest. I've said many times SLU would be fortunate to get both. You must have missed those posts.

You're agenda is tired and old. ...but consistent. Even Orange Julius came here to post about it, but let's single me out.