One thing I've heard about RM

This kind of goes along with the top 50 thread below, but I didn't want it to get lost because I think a lot of people will find it interesting.

I've heard that Majerus plans to schedule a couple of college basketball's top programs every year to try to boost the Billikens' RPI in hopes of making the NCAA tournament.

Now, how manys "big" games does that mean each year? I have no idea.

But considering Majerus has connections all over college basketball, I'm sure there will be teams willing to play games against St. Louis U. — at least until the Billikens start knocking off some of the top teams.

Can you imagine the demand for tickets in the new arena with a North Carolina or Duke or Florida or someone of that ilk coming to town?

- Nate

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Since the Spoon days we always scheduled two bigs. It would always be a home and home series. This way one big would be a home game. Past games included Arizona (after a national championship which we had the famous Bryant foot on the line shot), UCLA (after a national championship), Kansas, UNC, Gonzaga, etc..

Tarheel

Yeah, I can't really complain about our schedule over the past 10 years or so. We've always had a solid SOS and it always includes some high major BCS games. I think it may even get better with Rick. The guy has some major connections. Personally, I'd love to play the Dookies. Away this year, then they come to town next year.

Sorry but we have not scheduled 2 Bigs each year - we may have tried and we get one a year or every other year for a home and away but not 2 every year. Actually, with the arena holding 10,600 there won't me many tix available at all - my guess is they may all be sold out anyway.

I recall Woolard saying that SLU will have one home game a year with a glamour program but you probably right. But remember, when SLU was in the old CUSA we did not have to. Usually each of those years had at least one top 10 rated team. Like a Louisville, Marq or Cincy.

Also, with RM as coach and a 10,600 seat arena, it may be darn hard to get top rated teams to play us.

nate, just to let you know:

2007 north carolina and texas a&m

2006 north carolina and gonzaga

2005 gonzaga plus conf foes, louisville, cincy, memphis and marquette

2004 west virginia, arizona, georgia tech as well as conf usa foes louisville, cincy, memphis and marquette

2003 arizona, butler, and conf foes louisville, cincy, memphis and marquette.

slu has been playing high ranking foes for awhile now. you need to get to more games.

This is a list I came up with quickly. I left some bcs teams off because I don't consider them names or they were not out the time we played them. I am sure I have left some off that I missed and probably included one or two that don't belong.

82-83 KU, Vandy, Memphis St.

83-84 KU, Oklahoma St.

84-85 Duke, Norte Dame, Georgia Tech

85-86 Georgia Tech, Duke

86-87 Memphis State, Cincinnati

87-88 Memphis State, Duke, Cincinnati

88-89 Memphis State, Iowa

89-90 Purdue

90-91 Purdue

91-92 USC

92-93 USC, UCLA

93-94 ASU, Iowa State

94-95 Iowa State, Umass

95-96 LSU

96-97 Indiana, UCLA, Vandy

97-98 Vandy, Illinois, UCLA, Syracuse, Iowa State, Arkansas

98-99 Illinois, Kansas, Washington

99-00 Alabama, Mizzou, Kansas, Washington

00-01 Washington, Mizzou, Iowa

01-02 Iowa State, Cal, Washington, Georgia Tech

02-03 Arizona, West Virginia

03-04 WVU, Arizona, Georgia Tech

04-05 Gonzaga, Iowa

05-06 Gonzaga, North Carolina, Iowa

06-07 TAMU, UNC

read the opening post of the thread. if he didnt believe that, why would he post that?

the fact that we already habitually play a couple of top programs annually and the fact that last year our ooc rpi was 35, i am a little confused why he even made the post actually. now if our ooc schedule was mi$$ouri like he would have a point.

I mentioned last summer that the big thing that struck me about last year's schedule was we started no new home and home series with BCS schools. We wrapped up the UNC one but nothing else was started. I openly wondered if we were going to be able to schedule the big names we had in the past given our new conference affiliation.

Somebody mentioned a few weeks ago that Vanderbilt may show up on the scheduled next year. Hopefully that is true.

I think RM will improve on our scheduling abilities. At the very minimum he makes us a more attractive team to bring into your arena and he could get us an ESPN game or two, and t.v. as we all know drives many good non-conference match-ups.

It was also mentioned in a recent season ticket thread that we are planning on one more home game this season. If true, I know Roy will hate it, but this likely means that we will have 2 more buy games. Adding 1 extra home game removes 1 road game and thus means you need to find two more teams that are willing to come to SLU without a return trip...buy opponents.

Finally, I know this has been mentioned elsewhere but it wouldn't surprise me if one of the conditions that really big name schools put on a home and home with us is that we play it at the Savvis. Even if they don't get some split of the revenues they will want a weakened home-court advantage and the ability for their fans to scoop up a bunch of tickets like UNC did.

Roy,

I started this thread to inform people as to what is happening with Majerus and recruiting.

If the new coach is telling people he wants to schedule games against bigger-name schools to help his team's RPI — and in the process making playing at SLU more appealing to recruits — how does it become my opinion on the school's scheduling practices over the years?

Every time I post something you think it's me taking a shot at the program. It's not.

I'm trying to pass along information that I here to the people who might be interested.

You see it as me taking shots at the program, which most people can see is not the case.

If you have that much of a problem with me, stop reading what I post on here.

- Nate

you acted as though it was some big difference than what we have done in the past when in fact we have shown in a few different posts that we have regularly played top programs each year plus we indeed did beat the rpi game ooc last year.

so if both of those facts are true, what would be the point of your post? did you beleive majerus wasnt going to continue to play the couple of big opponents and play a schedule that wasnt a top 40 rpi ooc schedule?

Again, Roy ...

YOU READ WHAT YOU WANT TO READ in my posts.

I didn't say anything about a big difference.

I just wrote what I heard.

If you have that much of a problem with me, please never again read anything I post.

I'm not trying to push an agenda here. I'm trying to pass along information to people who want to get more information.

- Nate

First of all you can not count a conf. game as scheduling a big game - those were given. Second, we had to play one away and maybe one home if we had 2 BCS schools on the schedule. A big game in my opinion is not just any BCS school - would you consider Baylor or Northwestern a big game - I would not. Third, if we have to play all our big games at the Savvis or the Dome then why bother to build an arena - why give up any home court advantage that just seems silly. When we did not have our own place that would be something else.

Didn't someone just post something the other day about the Asst. Commish of the A10 stating that they want to eliminate buy games...at least that was a proposal for scheduling that the conference was considering.

oh i will read. it is posters like yourself that are dangerous. you have credibility because of your job and your love of high school basketball. so your OPINION reads like fact to others. i most certainly would opine on any issues i would have with your opinions you post.

the posters i dont read or those that have no credibility and come off as fools more than anything.