Bernie's New Tone...

Band Man

First of all I want to start off by saying that I am new to this board. I'm a student at SLU, and I've enjoyed reading the posts throuhgout this past year. I thought with the new era of SLU basketball on the horizon I would finally register for what I believe to be one of the best message boards online.

Now, on to business. After bashing SLU for as long as anybody can remember, listening to Bernie's radio show this afternoon and reading this most recent article in the Post-Dispatch, I find it funny that he he has already changed his tone not only about SLU's basketball program, but about Fr. Biondi as well. After bashing Fr. Biondi for so long, Bernie is finally singing his praises (now he's apparently moved on to stirring up problems with Tony LaRussa). Here's the link to Bernie's article in today's Post...

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/sports/co...A0?OpenDocument

Bernie is just a horrible sportswriter. I'd be good if we never wasted another second talking about him. The more we do, the more relevant he is. Imo every Bills fan should write a letter to the post cancelling their subscription until Bernie is gone. As a matter of fact ... I'll go first. I'm doing it this morning

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H Waldman

Official Sponser of the Stemmler and Ahearn could and would have helped club.

>Tone and substance are two different things. My problem with

>Mr. BM has been his tone, belittling. Is it ok to have high

>expectations of local institutions and media outlets?

Sure it is...but did any other tone get the attention of Larry? Does he mention any other media firgures at his press conferences?

Perhaps a somewhat harsh tone is the only tone of which Larry can relate?

take a business course you have to spend money to make money; with the hiring of RM they just guaranteed the new arena

would sell out-the school can actually make money-the faculty will get their share and the student body will become more cosmopolitan-moving int the direction of wash u and being less of a day school to those who never want to leave home;

first, Father Reinart raised the money

next, Father Biondi started spending the money

i hope biondi has all pronunciations down as well. we dont need to hear about ricco margerine on monday.

i agree with courtside.

plus, give bernie credit. if he has truly already started changing his tone, isnt that what he should do if slu has changed their attitude towards the issues bernie previously had towards the program?

what you all tend to forget, we know bernie isnt as familiar with all things slu as us hardcores, but the truth is bernie is the champion of the st louis casual fan. what he says is gospel to them. and if we want those casual fans, bernie is the pied piper to bring them to or away from the program. what the hell is the point fighting him.

a win win is to make bernie happy.

I don't understand all the hostility toward Bernie on here.

Wasn't hit major stance that he wanted Biondi to step up and get the basketball program to the level he promised many years ago?

I hear people say that Bernie got Brad fired. That's just garbage.

Was it Bernie who made the terrible recruiting decisions — who to bring in, not to bring in and to wait too long to offer certain kids scholarships — that led to last year's team not having enough depth?

Was it Bernie's fault that Brad wasn't out recruiting the area as much as he should have been?

I think Bernie is just another excuse. Like cell phones, facilities, conferences, etc.

Obviously Bernie had Biondi's attention or else Biondi wouldn't be addressing him by name. Maybe Bernie's consistent jabs at Biondi helped the guy realize he needed to make a big move.

- Nate

This is the kind of ##### that I expected from you--Bernie is the cause of all good things for the Billikens. Give me a break! He has been brutal and unfair and insulting to SLU and its fans, its team, its coaches and the university president. He is a jerk and to try to give him some credit for anything good that has happened at SLU is ridiculous!

Nate, Bernie has hated SLU for many years and he has gone out of this way to insult the fans, the team, the coaches and the university president in the most insluting and unfair ways possible. He boldly said that SLU would NEVER build an arena and he laughed at the prospect like a 3rd grader. He said a week ago that Majerus would be a bad fit for SLU. He said that one of Majerus' demands was that we move to the Valley. Now it appears that he want to take credit for everything when he has done nothing other than make the whole situation more difficult. I have talked to dozens of SLU fans over the past week or so and everyone of them thinks Bernie is a know it all egotistical jerk who will take unwarranted cheap shots any time he can. He never goes to Billiken games and he has no knowledge of the team yet now he claims to be our savior. Ridiculous!

I agree, 'kan. Bernie has some good points here and there, but we are giving the guy way too much credit. Sure, I suppose Biondi focuses on Bernie vs other sportswriters...but that's because he's a d!ckhead. If somebody was bashing most of us, I think that would warrant a reaction. I don't see why BM has to be an a$$hole. He consistetly attacks the fans as well.

>>I don't understand all the hostility toward Bernie on here.<<

Nate, then you don't read Bernie's side comments made in Bernie's pressbox throughout the year. Last season, whenever the topic of SLU basketball would come up in the pressbox, Bernie would dismiss the discussion with "SLU basketball is irrelevant". That's an ignorant putdown from a local sports columnists. This happened more than once. I can't speak for everyone but this jab has stuck with me.

> Maybe Bernie's consistent jabs at Biondi helped the guy realize he needed to make a big move.

There is no way that Bernie's constant jabs influenced Fr. Biondi's decision. Fr. Biondi finally realized that changes had to be made in order for him to fulfill his stated desire to make SLU a top 50 program. By giving any sort of recognition to Bernie you are feeding into his egotistical nature (something that certainly doesn't need to be fueled). All credit should be given to Fr. Biondi and whatever boosters that made this happen.

The point is always the same; Bernie is a big fat tub of goo. No matter how important he is, or how important he thinks he is, one fact always remains the same. Maybe he and Uncle Rick can be swimming buddies; Bernie needs about 1000 consecutive hours in the pool. When he talks with seeming pride about the fact that he and Majerus have about the same sweater size, I cringe. Good gravy, man, lay off the gravy! Rick Majerus is universally regarded as a genius basketball coach. BM is univerally regarded as a mediocre sportswriter.

Clearly some of you don't understand how the world works. Somebody determines that kicking somebody/something when they are down helps them with what they are doing. Then when the somebody/something gets up the kicker has to applaud. This is what is happening. Be gracious and move on - besides Roy and Courtside are correct, it is better to have BM with us than against us. No it is not the end of the world if he is kicking us but it sure is easier/better for all involved that he is with us. Lets all act like men not junior high girls - shake hands and move forward for the betterment of SLU.

I don't buy in any way that Bernie had anything to do with Rick Majerus's hiring. It has more to do with the Arena being built, the need to ensure the Arena is filled with fans, and my belief that some influential booster did come forward to make this all happen.