Comments from Frank C.

i think the majerus request is being mistated. i think he wants that marginal student to get all the help he needs to be successful. thus he is looking to add tutors and academic assitance tools to the support staff.

the thing about this whole majerus courtship is that it is bringing to the forefront all the things that has made us a second class program for years. if majerus takes the job, i think it would indicate that father biondi finally is ponying up for the direct support for the basketball team.

the one thing that will still be out there is the overall athletic dept staff. i think it is also vital that the sports information dept, the marketing staff and the game day and promotions staff also be increased and upgraded.

at that point we would finally be competing with top 50 programs on an even keel.

>the one thing that will still be out there is the overall

>athletic dept staff. i think it is also vital that the

>sports information dept, the marketing staff and the game

>day and promotions staff also be increased and upgraded.

>

>at that point we would finally be competing with top 50

>programs on an even keel.

Roy, I completely agree that upgrades are needed in those areas. However, I disagree that they materially impact the success or failure of the program. I view those as secondary factors that affect things such as gameday presentation, tickeholder relations, etc. They need to be fixed, but right now it sounds like they are focusing on the much more imporant things that will create on-the-court success. When that success arrives, the other items may work themselves out.

to be bigtime, you have to be bigtime from all angles.

by skimping on these "secondary factors" we have alienated the media, we have missed attendance opportunities and i would think we have lessened our presentation to local recruits.

it is all interwoven. and a program is only as strong as it's weakest link.

Three or so full time salaried academic personnel...Director, Coordinator, etc....plus other daily support staff.....this is commonplace.

Majerus.....170 times of having 3.0 semester kids at Utah. Led the Nation in Academic All-Americans, and has even had Rhodes Scholars on his teams.

Andre Miller, his academic non-qualifier was a good kid, with good grades, from rough area with poor schooling....he became a double major, graduated and received extra year of eligibility and used it to be runner up for Wooden Award and continue classes. He recently donated $500,000 to the school and recruits for general students, of which his cousin attends Utah. Majerus knows what he is doing.

I agree with you. Frank keeps saying that there isnt any deal breakers in the topics being discussed but I can see this being a big problem when it comes to RM signing. This is the one that I fear will be the deal breaker.

I', curious, assuming the good father makes all, or most of the changes that have been discussed, aren't a like amount of additional expenditures required for the women's programs? Nobody had discussed the affects this due to Title IX. While the academic support would benefit all student athletes, the other expenditures, coaches salaries, travel, etc, would have to be matched on the women's side.

A charter allows you to leave for the away game when you want and return the same day of a night game. It's a much easier process going, because you don't have to be at the airport early. Most commercial flights are gone by the time a team would be ready to travel after a game. Even the larger cities.

david, how many commercial flights leave to st louis after about 10:30 pm from those cities? i.e. charter, they are home in their own beds the same day. commercial likely means spending another night.

OK - I mostly concede on this point. However, for a Saturday afternoon game in NY, Philly, or DC getting a commercial flight home shouldn't be a big issue. I have flown home late in the evening from each place within the last year.

I think that relates only to scholarships, but not sure. But how would you measure the women's field hockey team at Ohio State getting as many $$ as the football team? Then again it may be a pro rata deal.

Good question though, but I don't think it's apples to apples. For example, spent a week end at Pinehurst about a month ago. There was a collegiate golf tournament going on. Some big 10 teams were in it. They all rode in large vans with Univeristy markings. Doubt they flew in on a charter, however, they were staying at the resort, which is a far cry from Motel 6.

Title IX is an equal opportunity statute in the same vein as Title VII. It merely requires compliance with one of the following 3 prongs when it comes to athletics.

1. Provide athletic opportunities for both genders that are substantially proportionate to the student enrollment.

OR

2. Demonstrate a continual expansion of athletic opportunities for the underrepresented gender.

OR

3. Fully and effectively accommodate the interest and ability of underrepresented gender.