Gordon Article

SLURadioBoy

We keep getting more attention from the media...this time an article by Jeff Gordon talking about SLU's chances of making the postseason. It's a pretty good article, but he seems to think that SLU can only make the "Big Dance" by winning the C-USA Tourney. I'm not so sure I agree, but I thought everyone would be interested in seeing it.

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/sports/co...+for+postseason

"Praises we sing, to you our alma mater,

Praise to the white and blue.

Our hymn shall ring, in tribute strong to you,

We hail Saint Louis U."

Official Billikens.com sponsor of Andrew Latimer

Interesting his perspective, in the media, yet somewhat out of it...I found his emphasis on Marquette as a possible upset interesting. It is as if he views Marquette as the Marquette of last year. Whle he down grades the conference by discussing the bottom end of CUSA, he ignores the bottom end of other conferences who I am sure he feels will get more bids than CUSA. There is planty of talent in CUSA to get at least four bids, five might be a possiblity as well.

I believe some of his writing is poor (this article was no exception as he talks about increasing the RPI but then says they can't get in without winning the conference tourney and he mentions Tulsa as a CUSA memeber) but he is a friend of the SLU program. He may be an ex-antler but in general he is friendly to SLU and tough on Mizzou. The poor writing aside, I'll take all the friends in the media that we can get.

Gordon is SLU's friend??????

I'd like to see some of SLU's enemies.

No friend of SLU would dismiss the program's success so offhand.

>To make The Big Dance as an at-large team, SLU would have climb >right in behind Louisville and Cincinnati as the top C-USA >candidates. That would be an enormous chore, given the >program's "strength of schedule" albatross.

Sorry Gordo, 3rd place in CUSA would get us a top 10 seed in the tourney as would 4th place. 5th will put us on the bubble but still with a good chance.

>The bottom half of C-USA hurts the SLU cause. South Florida is 119th >in Monday's "InsideRPI", followed by TCU at 147th, Tulsa at 152nd, >Houston at 153rd, Tulane at 158th and East Carolina at 165th. It's >easy to see why this conference will be hard-pressed to get more >than three NCAA Tournament berths.)

Oh yeah the bottom of CUSA is terrible. I wish SLU played in a league like the Big 12. Their bottom is comprised of Texas A&M at 217 and Baylor at 225. So if CUSA can only get 3 teams what does the Big 12 get? 2?????

Compared to how far back we were in the pack last year at this time (and fell a few shots short of an NCAA at-large bid), no one should say we can't get an at-large bid this year. It won't be easy but I believe it is more doable than last year's run. I think we have the ability to go 8-3 over the last 11 games (which would be huge). It would take one remarkable win, either at home against Louisville or on the road at Cincy and several more doable but still difficult victories like winning at Memphis and at home against Marquette:

@Charlotte--L

@UAB--L

@Memphis--win

DePaul--win

Charlotte--win

Marquette--win

@DePaul--win

@Cincinnati--L

@Tulane--win

Louisville--win

Houston--win

----------------

8-3

Then let us say we win 2 in the CUSA tourney. That gives us a final record of 21-9. Some of you guys are real number crunching RPI gurus. What do you think, does that get us in? Given that we would get a buy in the first round of the CUSA tourney with the above conference record, the 2nd win in the tourney would have to be against a solid team. I don't see how they could keep us out at 21-9 win this number of quality wins.

i agree, i thought the tone of the article was patronizing. he might innocently be trying to be positive and complimentary, but i still hear "the little engine that could" coming through loud and clear.

the difference between this year and last year was our strength of schedule kept our rpi in the bubble range. this year besides the folley of the 4 gimme games, butler is way down, dayton is lower, arizona is lower, marquette is lower, etc. i.e. it will take a much better record to get us into the bubble range this time.

While I don't agree with his 3 teams only for CUSA, he correct on cautioning everyone not to put the cart before the horse. While none of the lofty records some of you are talking about is totally unrealistic, the truth is we will know a lot more about this team after the next 3 games and the 3 after that next. A 500 record over those games do not get us in to the Dance. Just what record over those 6 will is anybody's guess at this time. I am worried about the lesser conferences having upsets in their tournaments. If that happens then all bets are off not only for CUSA but also the Big 12.