Not looking like SLU will ink Brett Thompson

This snippet is taken from a Rivals article written a few days ago.

"Purdue, Indiana, Notre Dame, Northwestern, Cincinnati, Iowa State, Missouri State, Southern Illinois and Bradley have all offered the 6-foot-11, 265-pound Thompson according to his high school coach Rick Metcalf.

"Brett has 12 offers on the table right now," said Coach Metcalf. "Coach Izzo has been in to see him as well as the old Michigan staff and Alabama. I've also taken calls from Florida, Arizona State and Arizona."

We are not one of the schools listed so we must be one of three schools that have offered that is not named by name. That can't be a good sign.

I have the feeling we can pretty much cross this guy off our wishlist.

rivals tends to not show slu. i think a lot of that is slu not talking to the rivals writers. i recall the interview with thompson not long ago where we were his leader.

it would be interesting to ask earl austin jr and see if he knows if we are still in the running or not.

I think that we are far behind in recruiting that we are playing catchup trying to sign kids in the spring. This has taken the whole staffs effort and it maybe taking its toll on the 08 fall class. The rest of these schools have their weapons locked and loaded for the kids in the fall and we are stuck trying to ink marginal jucos.

This past high school season, he will not be a big name recruit. He really needs to show that his high school season was a fluke. I know the DeSmet guards didn't do a god job of getting him the ball, but he looked super soft when I saw him play.

I have accepted the reality of the program under Soderberg. I am at the pooint where I will be surprised if we do sign anyone decent as opposed to shocked if we miss out on anyone.

When was the last time I even posted? Its not like I am wrapped up in this stuff. I wanted to check out a few recruiting sites to see if I could get updates on guys we are recruiting. I didn't write the article. I just posted what I read. Its not like I am looking for bad news. Since it doesn't make you smile should I just not post it?

>>SLU would be fortunate to get Brandenburg.

>

>All indications are that Brandenburg won't be going to SLU.

>

>You can kill the messenger if you want, but that's what I've

>been hearing for months.

>

>- Nate

Saw him play again this weekend, and have many many times,... and saw nothing that would change my mind that SLU would hypothetically be very fortunate to land him if that happened. ...never said SLU would or would not get his services. I was merely commenting on his level of ability and potential.

Despite a rough junior season, which could have been because of a few injuries, Brandenburg's potential is still way up there.

He's still a strong young 6-foot-11 kid who can run and jump.

If I remember correctly, he also scored a 30 on the ACT.

I do think SLU would be a good choice for him, because he could be a focal point on the team from day one with no other big guys competing for that spot. I wouldn't be surprised if he wants to leave the St. Louis area to go to school.

- Nate

First, Courtside I wasn't trying to bury Brandenburg. I was just pointing out that he had a very pedestrian junior season. I am not sure everything that led to it, but he didn't look like a big time player this season. If he has the same kind of performance this summer his stock will drop dramatically. I am not saying that he will have a bad summer. I am just saying that he has to pick up his game on the AAU circuit. Would you not agree Courtside?

Second, There is a much better chance that Suggs and Kramer end up at the same school than Suggs and Brandenburg. I am not saying it will happen, but SLU is still very strongly in the running for Suggs. No matter what some people might be saying (Nate, I know you are only repeating what others tell you and are not making anything up). The only way I think Brandenburg and Suggs end up playing together is if they both end up going to SLU and that is not very likely as of right now.

Third, if Brandenberg ends up going elsewhere, I don't want to hear anyone saying that he wanted to come to SLU. He has made it pretty clear by his actions and his statements that this is not his first choice. I am not saying we have no chance, but that in his mind right now this is not the place he wants to go and has never been his number one choice.

Let me put it this way...Brandenburg will have offers from SLU and BCS conference schools with solid hoops programs.

Recruiting is based on ability and potential. What does he do well as a high school junior?

Runs the floor very well, catch and finish on the break, rebound, rebound and outlet pass on breaks, keeps the ball high, good hands, good passer on break and in high post, shot blocking machine, athleticism,

Some things can be taught or learned or developed. Big men are hard to find, big men are slower to develop than other positions.

What does he need to work on that he can improve in time?

Sliding his feet more and anticipation positioning on defense and not just trying to block shots........offensively, more low post moves, and not so much bounce in his shot where he is off balance sometimes. ...getting stronger in traffic. He'll finish more of those in and out bunnies more consistently as he goes.

My response was in regards to to the recruitment of Brandenburg. I said SLU would be fortunate to land him because some other schools will want him and because he has a lot of potential as a recruit.

In the Eagles only win this past weekend...Drew Hanlen was their best player on the floor. Hanlen will also have a better high school career than Brandenburg...but does he have more potential and upside as a college recruit? No.