Peterson holding out for Iowa

you dont have to tell peterson to "take a hike". however, you dont put recruiting on hold waiting for him either. if someone else wants the spot, give it out.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Have I not laid fault at Brad's feet? Just because there is plenty of blame to go around with us not being the top 50 program that Biondi has stated as his goal does not mean Brad doesn't get his share of the blame for the last twelve months. It also doesn't mean that Brad gets all the blame or that he should go now.

The program has problems that begin way beyond the coach. If he was canned now and the under lying problems were not addressed, it is my belief that you would end up with a lesser coach than Brad as his replacement. Jobs that pay near, as much, or more than SLU end up becoming avalible every year for a coach. Ask yourself if Lowery leaves SIU doesn't that job look a hell of a lot better than SLU. The top up and coming HC or AC will either find a better job this year or wait for the right situation for next year for himself. That leaves SLU to go after what is left and I don't think what is left is any better than what we got right now.

Over the top. He is a really good pg. He would definitely help us out, but lets not forget that Iowa is the only top program recruiting him. I want the kid badly, but he isn't the second coming of Oscar Robertson or even the second coming of H Waldman. He is a player that Brad needs to land badly. If he doesn't get him soon he needs to move on to plan B quickly.

I am as big a bills fan as anyone. However, let inject a small dose of realism into this discussion. 95% of high school basketball players would rather play in the Big 10 than the A-10 if offered scholarships and at least that % would choose Iowa over SLU. Like it or not, SLU is not going to be a first choice for many top recruits unless there is a unique attraction - i.e. Larry Hughes and his brothers heart problem and SLU's medical center, Lisch wanting to stay close to home to play in front of his family, etc. These linkages are not nearly common enough for us to build a top program.

In the larger world of colloege basket ball SLU is pretty much an afterthought. I'm in Vegas this week at the sports book and I have not heard one person say, "... can you believe it, SLU didn't make the tourney!" or "SLU hasn't make the tourney for the last xx years!" We are what we are - whoever coaches SLU will have very real recruiting challenges. I wish Brad well with his efforts. We better get used to waiting on the Petersen's of the world. Unfortunately, Iowa doesn't need to wait on SLU but we need to wait on the Iowa's of the world. Maybe some day this will change but it is what it is for now.

Good points Brian.

"That leaves SLU to go after what is left and I don't think what is left is any better than what we got right now."

If CL gathered an informal list of possible candidates and she didn't think they could be lured to SLU or were not available, i agree...Brad is our best option. However, I would have hoped that she informally gathered some inforamtion on possible candidates and used her network to gauge whether there was any interest in the SLU position. Although i wouldn't put it pass SLU to not be prepared if they let go of a coach, it would strike me as odd if a school fired a coach and didn't have a plan in place. Whether that plan could be executed is a different matter.

You are pretty much right on in your assessment. It just means we've got to select and evaluate who we are going after a little more carefully. I cannot buy into the fact that our competitors in the A-10 have that much more to offer than SLU, so we should stay competitive in our conference. Chances are good we lose 9 out of 10 times to a BCS school, so don't go after them. But when you see SIU kick out butts every year and go dancing for 6 straight years you've got to wonder why is this? I keep coming up with one answer, the coach.

But there is a faction on this board that defends the "sitting" on scholarships by saying Brad should not "settle" for inferior players. It's either one or the other. Either it's smart or it's not. I'm saying, if pickings are slim at all, he'll sit on two. That's been his track record.

"I keep coming up with one answer, the coach."

yup yup... when a coach is recruiting a particular player, I believe that the coach is selling the recruit himself more than he is selling the recruit the university. Coaches have the most influence on whether a recruit lands or not.... in our case... not many good recruits want to come and play under soderberg, as harsh as that sounds, its the truth. Who wants to play in a system that absolutely limits our own field goal attempts??? I have never understood this type of strategy... wouldnt we want lisch and liddell shooting & creating as much as possible.... instead of passing the ball around the 3 point line for 25 out of the 35 shot clock seconds?

You start out saying something that's probably correct many times, then follow it up with nonsense. Kevin and Tommie have the green light to shoot any time they want. We have no system in place to limit our field goal attempts.

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H Waldman

Official Sponser of the Stemmler and Ahearn could and would have helped club.

Are conditions at SLU absolutely ideal? No they are not. Have other Coaches done far more with far less? Absolutely they have.

For the sake of brevity I will not rehash the names of coaches who have been able to achieve success without top-notch support from their administrations. Bruce Weber had to use his secretary's car to drive recruits around because it was the nicest one available

Let's look at the "horrible conditions" Brad has to deal with. He has a brand new facility being built that will be ready for the 2008 season. His is the only D-1 program in a metro area of over 2.5 million. His is the only D-1 program within 100 miles. SLU has had fantastic attendance figures when the Bills have been successful. There is no NBA team to contend with. If the Bills were to be successful they would be THE story during the winter months.

Things could be better at SLU in terms of administrative support but they could be far worse.

I guess I consider being able to get a coach in here who can actually recruit with the tools he is given to be FAR more likley than Fr. Biondi waking up tomorrow and realizing he need to infuse more cash into the basketball program

ROY!!!

I have tried to listen to your side, but kids want to play for a coach, not a program or school. Do you think Shane Battier, Carlos Boozer, Elton Brand, Jason Williams, Cherokee Parks and Lul Deng chose Duke because of the expanded new cafeteria?

You are an idiot.

>I am as big a bills fan as anyone. However, let inject a

>small dose of realism into this discussion. 95% of high

>school basketball players would rather play in the Big 10

>than the A-10 if offered scholarships and at least that %

>would choose Iowa over SLU. Like it or not, SLU is not going

>to be a first choice for many top recruits unless there is a

>unique attraction - i.e. Larry Hughes and his brothers heart

>problem and SLU's medical center, Lisch wanting to stay

>close to home to play in front of his family, etc. These

>linkages are not nearly common enough for us to build a top

>program.

>

>In the larger world of colloege basket ball SLU is pretty

>much an afterthought. I'm in Vegas this week at the sports

>book and I have not heard one person say, "... can you

>believe it, SLU didn't make the tourney!" or "SLU hasn't

>make the tourney for the last xx years!" We are what we are

>- whoever coaches SLU will have very real recruiting

>challenges. I wish Brad well with his efforts. We better get

>used to waiting on the Petersen's of the world.

>Unfortunately, Iowa doesn't need to wait on SLU but we need

>to wait on the Iowa's of the world. Maybe some day this will

>change but it is what it is for now.

In general your premise is fine. However, it doesn't take into account coaches who find and develop talent overlooked at other schools. It doesn't take into account coaches good enough to outcoach higher profile coaches. It doesn't take into account kids who prefer schools for various differing reasons. ...to name a few.

What do

Chris Crawford

Tony Smith

Travis Diener

Jim McIlvaine

Steve Novak

Amal McCaskill

Dwyane Wade

have in common? They have all played in the NBA in recent years or currently still do play...all or most played in same conference as SLU at same time as SLU and attended the same school, a school similar to SLU.

People understand the challenges and wakeup calls....but again others are doing it.