>tier in st louis and the second tier. at this point i am

>betting that soderberg thinks it is worthy to wait out

>thompson, brandenberg, suggs, shwopshire, john, soderberg

>than to drop down an notch yet. it is 10 months until

>signing date. they cant even ask this class to come for an

>official visit yet. now if it is june and the big boys

>above are starting to look like they are using us as their

>hedge bet, hey i am fine with dropping down a notch and

>telling the big boys "i am offering to x, y, z, now as well.

> first ones to commit to the 5 scholarships get them", but

>considering soderberg has been sitting at aau games with

>these parents for months he surely has a better feel for his

>chances than what we do at this point>

I completely agree with the above strategy. That's why I'm questioning why we didn't offer this guy. This has been our achilles the past six years. We have gone after the "big fish" and missed out on the majority of them. By the time we go after the "second tier", we're out of the running and the SIUs and Mo state's of the world reap the rewards.

So what makes anybody believe that this time we're going to get the "big fishes". I count twice, we've gotten them. Tommie and Kevin.

I guess I'm just not as confident.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Didn't he light us up for 20+ points a couple of years ago?

Soderberg went to great lengths to devise a defensive game plan to stop him this year. With Tommie and Kevin's ability to penetrate and dish, a guy who can knock down 3s would have a field day. Also, opponents would be less likely to play zone against us.

>scoring ability like he exhibited vs dwayne polk this year?

>i thought he looked like a natural in our game this year.

Again, you're citing one game. Our best player was used and abused in that game. If I was a MO State fan, I'd say, Tommie Liddell isn't any good. Yet that's obviously not true. So why are you still citing this one game when he's averaging 15 pts per game?

Sr's can sign and LOI during a two week/10 day period in November of their Sr. year, or in April after the Sr season too. A verbal means nothing, it is not binding. So O8 recruits will sign LOI's this coming November. 07's last November and 09's in November of 08.

sshoe asked:

"So what makes anybody believe that this time we're going to get the "big fishes"?"

in the past when chasing the bigger recruits, brad has had to play by the same rules as all the other coaches. with this class, because of kramer, he has a built in advantage that no other coach in america has for kramer's friends that happen to be high division one basketball recruits.

sshoe said,

"I completely agree with the above strategy. That's why I'm questioning why we didn't offer this guy. This has been our achilles the past six years. We have gone after the "big fish" and missed out on the majority of them. By the time we go after the "second tier", we're out of the running and the SIUs and Mo state's of the world reap the rewards."

in other years the depth of division one talent in st louis was NEVER this thick. coach soderberg stated at a billiken club meeting and earl austin confirmed that the junior class has likely at least 13 high division one players.

second, "by the time" imo means at least waiting until the juniors can make official visits. my gosh, it is early february. we are ten months yet from the time these kids can sign anything.

imo lowery f'd up. if he doesnt have more confidence than that considering the level that siu has risen that might speak volumes about his vision imo.

but we have seen tommie create his own scoring opportunities and score. he had a turnover game vs missouri state agreed, but to compare tommie liddell to a set shooter from the corner like ahearn is as ridiculous as my assumption as well.

my continued point of polk shutting him down shows that ahearn doesnt have the ability to create scoring opportunities. he feasts off of his team creating for him and scoring on finding gaps in team defenses. think of meyer as the drifter for us.

>

>second, "by the time" imo means at least waiting until the

>juniors can make official visits. my gosh, it is early

>february. we are ten months yet from the time these kids

>can sign anything.

>

>imo lowery f'd up. if he doesnt have more confidence than

>that considering the level that siu has risen that might

>speak volumes about his vision imo.

Yet we have noted on more than one occassion, Brad has been slow to offer, which is in part why we've lost out on a number of guys. Be it Shaw, O'Rear, Stemler, etc. We can't afford to sit on our hands, while other schools (ones that have had and are having much more success than us) are grabbing early.

I think SShoe's point is that you can't make too much out of one game, as Roy is trying to do to support his point. He's saying that Tommie was a detriment in that particular game. Of course that's not typical for him, in the same way that Ahearn being held to 0 is also not typical.

I see your point, but seeing as how we're a program with ZERO NCAA appearances in the last seven years and in currently experiencing another middle-of-the-road season, I'd prefer a more conservative approach to recruiting. Identify the kids we know we can get and who will be able to help us build a winning program and lock them down instead of chasing the long shots. I just don't see Suggs or Swapshire coming to SLU - hope I'm wrong.

1. Romar had Brad offer a schollie to Ahern but when Brad took over he did not continue the offer. He apparently disagreed with Romar and so when he became head coach he did what most head coaches do.

2. Why would Roundtree verbal so early? - that makes no sense to me. If he was interested in other places he should have waited longer to see what happened. My guess is he really wanted to go to SIU - good luck to him.

>There is on big difference between Tommie and Blake. When

>TL is not scoring he tends to find other ways to help his

>team. When Ahearn is not scoring he tends to be a detriment

>to his team.

That's not completely accurate. Because Ahearn is the shooter he is, teams have to always watch where he is, which opens up players on the inside and on the drive.

I'm going to blindly jump in and say that SLU doesn't have a chance of signing anyone, because the spring signing period hasn't started yet and I haven't seen any press releases from Brad saying that we're 100% going to sign anyone when it does. There's no way that SLU will ever recruit anyone ever again.

We will get solid recruits in both of the next 2 classes.

I'm sure Roundtree has his reasons for going to SIU (NCAA tourney appearances being a big one), but no way in hell I would go there. Anyone who doesn't get severely depressed going anywhere near Carbondale is either a farmer or a poster-boy for multiple lobotomies.

>what makes you think that all slu had to do was offer

>roundtree and he would come running? we werent good enough

>for his big brother, so why would we be good enough for him?

>

>i hope he enjoys his time in carbondale. when times get

>slow he can always drive to marion or murphysboro they have

>some nice country bars. and i think there are more walmarts

>in a 50 mile radius of carbondale than there is in the metro

>st louis area. so he has that going for him. i am sure his

>parents will enjoy that drive down route 13. always a good

>pee stop in coulterville.

Roy, this post is coming from a guy who lives in Belleville. You must be kidding!