Check out Lance Stemler

Scoop

Tomorrow night in Belleville, SWIC plays Mineral area in a playoff game with the 2 region champs. The winner goes to the JUCO national Tourney. This will be a good test for LS. MAC runs 12 deep and they get after it. If LS can score his average I'd say he's the real deal.

It will be a great game. I was at the regional final game with MAC against west plains. There were scouts from Mizzou, MO state, SEMO, and Western Illinois. Maybe more, that is just what I saw. I bet UB at this one.

MAC has some serious ballers aswell.

as was pointed out a few days ago, soderberg has been to see swic a number of times already and the ncaa limits the number of times a division one program can view a potential recruit play before signing. it is likely the reason coach soderberg was not at the swic and seic game last friday.

at that swic and seic game, siu had 3 coaches (including lowery), marquette's tom crean was there, mi$$ouri's jay spoonhour was there, two coaches from austin peay were there, matt painter from purdue was there, and there were a number of other coaches that i did not recognize but were wearing the standard program warmup suits that i couldnt read their logo from where i was sitting.

So here we go again, defending the home turf against all these invaders. This Lance Stemler must be pretty good if all those coaches were watching him play. I assume many of those coaches were there to see him play. Were there other players playing that they were targeting? There is always room for a shooter. The 3 has become such a big part of college hoops.

to SWIC....normal evening games start at 7:00pm

from downtown St. Louis take I-64 east to Green Mount Road exit (I believe its exit #16). Turn right onto Green Mount Road and go about five miles south .... as Green Mount Road leads directly to the SWIC Campus.

SWIC is about 20 miles from Poplar Street Bridge ..... 25 minute travel time.

The gym is the building closest to Green Mount Road. Plenty of parking in rear of school.

school sits at corner of Green Mount Road and Illinois route 161.

famous last words...."you can't miss it"!

>I am not sure any of those other schools have offered or

>not.

From Hoopmasters:

Stemler returned to Southwestern Illinois, where he is averaging 22 points per game. St. Louis, Kent State and Northern Illinois are among the schools that have offered scholarships, with Marquette, Nebraska and South Florida showing interest.

Are we recruiting anyone from Mineral Area, I know Muse and one of their other guys are headed to North Texas, but everyone else I believe is uncommitted. I like DeAlan Hicks game a lot. GREAT ATHLETE. Was highly regarded as a Kirkwood sophomore before transferring. He won the 2004 Riverwar Slam Dunk Contest, and is fundamentally sound. 40+ inch vertical.

Are you going. I will be at an auction in Granite city ... so I may end up there. Maybe all the Bills fans can make some noise and let Stemler know we want him.

Roy, are you going. Thicks?

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H. Waldman

I was at mineral areas practice this morning. I'll agree with DeAlan's hops. The kid can sky. Take a look at Daryl Butterfield tonight. He's getting looks from UWM and a few others, but he would look good on anyones roster. He's a ripped 6'6'' that has good hops, a nice mid range jumper and plays hard. He gets more minutes that Muse. All of MAC's stats are skewed because they play 12 deep running a fresh 5 in all of the time.

Just a side note, I noticed that the Penn State administration reprimanded its students for cheering and encouraging football recruits to attend PSU while those recruits attended basketball games because that was deemed an NCAA recruiting violation.

I'm comparing apples and oranges, i know. But is there any possible trouble for SLU if fans (as opposed to students) start encouraging particular recruits to attend SLU? I'm certainly not up to speed on recruiting rules.

Keep posting V-Time. Obviously, there is not enough room at SLU for all these guys, but I, for one, like learning about them. And there is no question that SLU right now has a couple of big holes to fill on the roster, one at power forward (a hole that has been there seemingly for decades) and some shooters, men that can put the ball in the basket.

What is the deal with this Curtis Muse, Jr.? He is a 6'10" 225 lb. Center from Vashon. Was SLU ever in the running? Is he gone for good to North Texas? Is he the next one that got away that we will be hearing about? North Texas plays in the Sun Belt. The A-10 is better than the Sun Belt.

According to the Mineral Area website, Darryl Butterfield is a 6'6" 240 lb. forward/center from Miami, FL, who played his first year of JUCO at State Fair CC in Sedalia. What is the word about him?

And Mineral Area also has Jonathon "J.J." Jackson (another JJ), 6'8" 240 lb. forward/center Soph. from Portland, Oregon. The website says he is committed to North Texas.

I've never seen this Lance Stemler from SWIC play, but if he can shoot, and I've read that he can, then there is a place for him at SLU.

moytoy, i dont know if any of us are recruiting rules experts, but anytime any of us make a personal contact with a recruit it could be a violation i believe. i judge this by the definition of a "booster" on the slubillikens.com website. that is why we should all personally stay away from potential recruits. let the coaches handle it.

one would have to have a deemed "previous relationship" in order to have personal contact with a recruit. i.e. relative, long time family friend, work associate with parent, etc.

however, if we are talking about our in general discussions on this board or attending a juco game as a fan with no more contact than sitting in the stands, that would be pretty hard to deem "contact" imo.

however, one issue that i think might be a problem would be one where say a recruit or a family member of a recruit is actually on the messageboard and it is known by the other cyber members of the board that it is the recruit or the recruit's family member and a discussion takes place. that might be a problem. but again, how does the ncaa even approach controlling that?

the complex web of rules the ncaa has to police is crazy. i have long advocated throwing out all the rules EXCEPT academics and letting the schools do whatever they please. if a coach wants to pay a kid, or live on his front yard, so be it. but make sure that recruit actually gets the grades, passes the tests, etc. make sure when they get to college they indeed are going to classes, passing classes and graduating on time. i bet this alone would clean up problems because you would take the athlete out of the equation that is in it only for basketball. and i bet that is the athlete that causes the vast majority of problems and violations.

no way muse would have ever gotten into slu academically. especially after juco where the juco transfer rules make it very difficult to transfer to slu without specific credits.