GDT: K-State

Pistol

I think you can believe in both main ideas expressed in this thread- this team is supremely untalented, however, a slower-paced game would've mitigated some of the damage against K-State.

We have, what...9 scholarship players. And virtually no inside presence. Can't really help that. 

We shoot free throws poorly. We commit idiotic, unforced turnovers. Some of that is a lack of talent and low basketball IQ for sure, but some of it is on coaching. Undoubtedly, Majerus would've created a game plan that was more effective in neutralizing K-State's size. Crews may have as well. Who knows...who cares. As far as I'm concerned, let's worry about the quality of coaching once Ford has HIS players in HIS system. It seems to me that Ford is trying to fit this roster (square peg) to his system (round hole). Who can blame him for that since the current crop of guys (whoever 'makes' it) will be running this system next year. 

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, brianstl said:

I wasn't on board when Ford got hired, but I don't really see how anyone could expect this lineup to produce better results with a different coach.  We have no center, we have no point guard and in my opinion we don't have a quality shooting guard either.  We don't have any depth.  Well, we actually do have some depth at one position.  So we start three small forwards (I think this is what Roby, Crawford and Welmer actually are).  We are one of the the least athletic teams in D1.

There is an entire thread dedicated to people talking about how they expected better.  I am not saying this is a good team and fully expected them to be in the bottom half but not "F+".  But that is not my point;  the point is I have watched games and been amazed how poorly organized the defense and especially offense is (we actually had a play where the ball was 30 ft. from the basket when the shot clock expired).

7 minutes ago, kwyjibo said:

There is an entire thread dedicated to people talking about how they expected better.  I am not saying this is a good team and fully expected them to be in the bottom half but not "F+".  But that is not my point;  the point is I have watched games and been amazed how poorly organized the defense and especially offense is (we actually had a play where the ball was 30 ft. from the basket when the shot clock expired).

I think the offensive problems are directly related to having no one that can play the point guard position.  Bishop has been flat out awful.  He is averaging 4 turnovers a game and shooting 36%.  He is a team worst -65  while averaging 2.5 assists and 4.5 turnovers over the last four games.  We look completely lost offensively because we have no one that can run an offense.  It was the same problem with the offense last season.  We are not much worse efficiency wise on offense compared to last season.  According to Pomeroy we rank 324th in offensive efficiency this season and we ranked 310th last season.

The big difference in efficiency this season has been on the defensive end.  We have dropped 70 spots defensively.  That I blame on lack of depth more than changing defenses. We either have to play guys to the point they are no longer effective or put in players that can't yet or will never be able to play adequate defense at this level. 

41 minutes ago, kwyjibo said:

-I agree there are coaching points to consider, but I am not that concerned about it for this season as there are holes all over the lineup, perhaps I should be more concerned at this time

23 minutes ago, brianstl said:

I think the offensive problems are directly related to having no one that can play the point guard position.  Bishop has been flat out awful.  He is averaging 4 turnovers a game and shooting 36%.  He is a team worst -65  while averaging 2.5 assists and 4.5 turnovers over the last four games.  We look completely lost offensively because we have no one that can run an offense.  It was the same problem with the offense last season.  We are not much worse efficiency wise on offense compared to last season.  According to Pomeroy we rank 324th in offensive efficiency this season and we ranked 310th last season.

The big difference in efficiency this season has been on the defensive end.  We have dropped 70 spots defensively.  That I blame on lack of depth more than changing defenses. We either have to play guys to the point they are no longer effective or put in players that can't yet or will never be able to play adequate defense at this level. 

Mike Lewis wouldve been a good PG option even as a freshman but he was another Jim Crews blunder

27 minutes ago, brianstl said:

our best offensive guard threat, Ash Yacoubou graduated. What did you expect? The roster is weaker than it was last year.