Letter from my Father concerning SLU Soccer

prebilliken

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Creighton has a really nice athletic campus. SLU has the potential to have a really nice athletics campus, not sure baseball and softball could have exclusive "nice" stadiums though with their current space.

I disagree... Outside of the soccer stadium they don't have a SINGLE facility that matches SLU. There basketball court is large of course, but its off campus, they play baseball in TD Ameritrade Park which is super awkward because they get about as many people to a baseball game as we do... And yes I have been to one.

The soccer stadium is the gem of that campus. We beat them on every other spot.

It is a beautiful stadium. I think field turf is the future of soccer, regardless of how much some people hate it.

I think there has to be some sort of middle ground between the length of turf the Rams play on and the kind of turf that's currently at Soccer Park that would be perfect for soccer...That being said, soccer on turf is brutal to watch.

Not enough room. Especially with the new baseball training facility right behind the far side bleachers.

Ah, didn't know that was there. I know it's tight on the west side with the academic buildings there but thought the east (and north) side could go pretty far out. Not that a baseball training facility couldn't be relocated if someone really wanted to do it.

I figured it was a pie-in-the-sky idea anyway, but it seemed like a pleasant thought.

I think there has to be some sort of middle ground between the length of turf the Rams play on and the kind of turf that's currently at Soccer Park that would be perfect for soccer...That being said, soccer on turf is brutal to watch.

Lambeau has a grass-turf mix that usually holds up pretty well during the long Wisconsin falls/winters. At least compared to the mud field down in Chicago

I disagree... Outside of the soccer stadium they don't have a SINGLE facility that matches SLU. There basketball court is large of course, but its off campus, they play baseball in TD Ameritrade Park which is super awkward because they get about as many people to a baseball game as we do... And yes I have been to one.

The soccer stadium is the gem of that campus. We beat them on every other spot.

It is a hard direct comp because pretty much SLU has Chaifetz, Hermann, and some grass with foul lines painted on. Creighton's facilities comp to SLU would be something like if basketball played and sold out Savvis, West Pine was actually renovated and nice, the baseball team played in a nice minor league stadium, the softball/baseball diamonds had an actual facility (not just cages in a concrete building) to house the baseball and softball offices, lockers, cages, etc. And then soccer had a top facility in all of NCAA.

Even the University of Nebraska Omaha has a better soccer stadium.

I would like to see SLU improve the seating on the East end of the stadium, installing permanent stands that are adjacent to the field. Move the track to the East side of the stands.

Even the University of Nebraska Omaha has a better soccer stadium.

I would like to see SLU improve the seating on the East end of the stadium, installing permanent stands that are adjacent to the field. Move the track to the East side of the stands.

The track is on the east side of the stands

23118654935_6ee34e1143_z.jpg

Yep.

I say tear the track up. Its weird. There are enough spots to run on campus.

Yeah, but looking at that overhead view, the track also doesn't detract from the stadium configuration. There appears to be as much space between the east stands and the field as there is between the west stands and the field.

Does SLU even have a track and field team?

Yeah, but looking at that overhead view, the track also doesn't detract from the stadium configuration. There appears to be as much space between the east stands and the field as there is between the west stands and the field.

Does SLU even have a track and field team?

Yes, and we do hold events at the track on the med campus. Its actually quite nice.

I know they are working on a major renovation of the field and stadium. I just hope when it is announced all of you who want these

things done, are willing to show your support by writing a check or two.

I love the comment about just moving the baseball/softball batting cage and locker rooms. Heck, the school asked people to donate $1,500 to have a locker dedicated as a means to help defray the cost. Last time I checked in the spring, several are still waiting for a name plaque. No problem though, just spend a few bucks and pick up the building and move it!! Amazing.

I know they are working on a major renovation of the field and stadium. I just hope when it is announced all of you who want these

things done, are willing to show your support by writing a check or two.

I love the comment about just moving the baseball/softball batting cage and locker rooms. Heck, the school asked people to donate $1,500 to have a locker dedicated as a means to help defray the cost. Last time I checked in the spring, several are still waiting for a name plaque. No problem though, just spend a few bucks and pick up the building and move it!! Amazing.

I think people were saying that they can't move it actually.